Warscroll Cards....

Same thing with the dice. I guess they're perks for when an army gets a new battletome. Doesn't help those of us who start an army a few months after release.

I swear, tracking down those Beasts of Chaos warscroll cards was like trying to discover an actual hobbit!! In fact, the only store I found still selling them was in New Zealand!

There's a subset of ebay stores that price things are stupidly high prices. Throwing a £100 or more on most things and they tend to get a smattering of random products. 

I think they operate on several basis

1) Hoping that their's becomes the last item stocked on ebay which means anyone desperate enough parts with their money

2) They don't actually have it so they put a super high price so that they can use that money to buy the rare item to sell once they get an actual order

3) They hope that by inflating the price of some items it will lead to a general inflation and steady rise of all the prices of that item - which means their other store (with sane prices) can raise the prices up somewhat (since many people on ebay price based on what others charge/sell at - which can lead to creeping price increases)

4) It's some kind of money laundering scheme or such which works by having prices on items no sane person would pay for and then their shill purchases buying the item at some point for some reason that I've no idea about 

Heck there's more than a few times that I've seen almost all the stock of a model in one ebay store only and I've wondered if they've gathered it all up at a lower price then thrown it on at a higher. Plus there's more than a few stores charging more than new from GW - esp for old metal models (there are loads of skaven models in metal that are priced way above what they cost on the GW website right now for brand new). Ikit Claws at £30 or more! I can accept inflation on out of production and metals where there's only a resin alternative (even if its painful that Jessails are basically in the £16 each bracket or near enough)

I have been buying every Battletome as it is released from my local independent game store as well as the Warscroll cards to go with them.

I usually don't pre-order with this store as I always come in the day of release but for the Skaven and FEC I ended up pre-ordering both Battletomes and the Warscroll cards.  When the owner called me to let me know they were in stock he said they did not get the cards and that was told by his GW rep that they had moved to GW only.

I ended up ordering both from GW online as the local GW store is 15 miles away and hard to make it to (Los Angeles traffic is deceptive, 15 miles away might be over an hour drive on a good day).

Very odd how they are handling these cards.  They are not only really handy but just cool to look through and have around even if I am not playing the army in question.   It doesn't make sense to not have these as continued items.  My only gripe is that somewhere through last year they changed the size and format and I now I have a bunch of them in the older/bigger size and the rest are the smaller/fold-out kind.   I just wish they were all uniform one way or the other.

It is an interesting topic.  It seems like the cards are universally beloved.  I wonder what the reason is that they aren't always available.  I can guess at three or four possible reasons.  Can't confirm anything of course, just trying to make up possibilities.

1) We are overestimating the demand, or equivalently they are underestimating the demand.  Either way, we think that more people would buy them if they were available than they do.

2) The margins are tiny.  The costs are higher than we think, and the margins on them are so small that it's not worth the effort to make more.

3) There is some sort of production holdup - issues with a supplier or printer or transportation or something, that limits their capacity to make more.

Might be any or all of these, or some other reason we can't think of.  Anyone have any other insight into maybe why these aren't more ubiquitous?

It's very disappoint that they've discontinued all the old warscroll cards and made the new cards limited release. I find the cards to be a huge boon to playing the game without having to flip thought the book. And don't mention the god d*mn app, I'd rather flip through a dozen books before I'm futzing with apps, tablets, and phones at the gaming table. I don't plan on really building out my Skaven army until much later this year or maybe next, but I had to go ahead and buy the cards now and store them away unopened until then.

3 hours ago, bsharitt said:

And don't mention the god d*mn app, I'd rather flip through a dozen books before I'm futzing with apps, tablets, and phones at the gaming table.

Blessings be upon you and your household, good person.

I'm no technophobe, but give me a book over a digital device any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, amysrevenge said:

It is an interesting topic.  It seems like the cards are universally beloved.  I wonder what the reason is that they aren't always available...

I think it may be due to how quickly they become obsolete. I know it doesn't happen very often but Warscrolls have changed in the General's Handbook. Flesh Eater Courts are on to their second book after about two years give or take. Even if they are still accurate, all cards were kind of made out of date at least presentation wise when the new edition dropped last year.

Don't get me wrong. I wish all the cards were available all the time. I think they are fantastic.

Archived