5kaven5lave

AoS SkavenClans Jun3 Boxout2

The run and charge rules are fun stuff, but I'm fixated on the pile-in rule. What dastardly things will GW allow us to do now? Or at least not FAQ?

My thought experiment consists of step1) activate unit, pile in, Step 2) pile in all other engaged models, step 3) activate other units in combat, pile-in again. I read this as a 6" pile-in for swarming around effectively. If you're clever you'll be able to draw units into combat that didn't want to be. Combine this with any strike-first abilities (looking at you eshin), and you might get away with shenanigans. 

What do ya'll think? Am I crazy? Or so sane I just blew your mind

I don't think it can work that way (or at least rarely) because you still can't pile a model further away from the closes enemy. 

I would guess the main goal here would be to shield your important units from combats they don't want and stopping your opponent from piling into them.

5 hours ago, DocKeule said:

I don't think it can work that way (or at least rarely) because you still can't pile a model further away from the closes enemy. 

I would guess the main goal here would be to shield your important units from combats they don't want and stopping your opponent from piling into them.

Well I mean if deathfrenzy is going to be still a thing.

this could actually get your models into range much more easily for a last dying fight 

12 hours ago, DocKeule said:

This is true. Classically this is used to pile-around/toward a screen protecting a shooting unit or weak melee hero thats approx. 4 in away from the screen. When you wrap around, your 1 inch base will tag the other unit 3" away. This is true even if your base to base the entire time with the  screen. I just think it'll be harder to screen us out altogether. 

@Skreech Verminking Death frenzy may be the way to go especially with stormvermin at 1" reach now. 

@Rors That was the stated intention in the article. Im concerned that this a false list idea though because if the Deathmaster is any indication, all of our hero points are going up. This is in line with every 3.0 book so far. I have no doubt they'll get upgraded, but I don't believe we'll have cheap enough heroes to make that style of list playable. We'll see though.

@W1tchhunterHobby bravely first off. The rule of cool is king. That said pestilens are often depicted with no fur because disease has stripped it off, so pinks and orange flesh tones. Eshin arent really set, they used to have lots of dark fur, black mostly, but the new aethermaze eshin are more pale because of living in darkness. I suggest picking your cloth color first because it has more volume then pick a fur color that complements it. 

Ive tried black fur on black robes for ninjas and its just boring. So learn from me.

Interestingly this sort of upends the traditional wisdom of having the rusty spears be large units. They will benefit less from strength in numbers but will also keep their 3" longer in small units, so probably are suited to 20's, whereas  rusty blades have no drawbacks in large units until they drop below 20 strong.

47 minutes ago, Colonic said:

Interestingly this sort of upends the traditional wisdom of having the rusty spears be large units. They will benefit less from strength in numbers but will also keep their 3" longer in small units, so probably are suited to 20's, whereas  rusty blades have no drawbacks in large units until they drop below 20 strong.

Yeah I just finished building my first 20 clanrats with spears. Regret the decision now haha

Clan rats are not on the board to fight so an extra 1" is fairly meaningless to a unit you should not expect to do any damage. It's bit handier for plague monks but it is a weak replacement for +1 to hit and +1 to wound for larger units. Can't see any incentive in bringing any non elite units in more than min size so far. 

10 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Clan rats are not on the board to fight so an extra 1" is fairly meaningless to a unit you should not expect to do any damage. It's bit handier for plague monks but it is a weak replacement for +1 to hit and +1 to wound for larger units. Can't see any incentive in bringing any non elite units in more than min size so far. 

Clanrats in units of 60 with curse are the new elites😂

15 minutes ago, AirbrushThreepwood said:

Why? I think a unit of 20 with spears is pretty good with its 3" range, better than x20 with blades.

Well 20 blades will be 3 inches also and still 2" inches below 20 that and at that point you're getting all of them in anyway due to 25mm bases. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W1tchhunter said:

Well 20 blades will be 3 inches also and still 2" inches below 20 that and at that point you're getting all of them in anyway due to 25mm bases. 

Oh i see, good point. I'm glad I built my first 80 with blades then, although 2 weeks ago I thought maybe it might have been a mistake.

Maybe you can snap the arms off? 

8 minutes ago, AirbrushThreepwood said:

Oh i see, good point. I'm glad I built my first 80 with blades then, although 2 weeks ago I thought maybe it might have been a mistake.

Maybe you can snap the arms off? 

Probably could but tbf my group is mega chill, I'll just say they are long blades 😛

• Haha 1