5kaven5lave

Just wanted to share the mvp unit of my last game with skaven/moulder. 6 toughened sinews rat ogors took a total of 5 wounds from a charging Frostlord on stonehorn. Granted they were in cover and had mystic shield, they are absolute TANKS that can do decent-good damage.

20210724_191858.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 4

11 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Just wanted to share the mvp unit of my last game with skaven/moulder. 6 toughened sinews rat ogors took a total of 5 wounds from a charging Frostlord on stonehorn. Granted they were in cover and had mystic shield, they are absolute TANKS that can do decent-good damage.

20210724_191858.jpg

Nice! I put Toughened Sinews on my HPA and works great. I really like those 2 models on the right, where did get them from? 

So I’ve played a game of aos 2000points last Friday.

my list consisted of:1C4959D1-BA29-492E-8D0C-8F7121CF79A4.jpeg.348c98f7a90c164ea7a0e8eee977dee7.jpeg

my Opponent has took:

Allegiance: Tzeentch
- Change Coven: Eternal Conflaguration
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:
Lord of Change (420)
- General
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (255)
Ogroid Thaumaturge (165)
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (215)
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (215)
6 x Flamers of Tzeentch (350)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Tzaangors (195)
1 x Burning Chariots of Tzeentch (185)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 85

With the one drop battailon.

so Turn one was given to me, since my opponent thought that I wouldn’t be able to do much against him.

To show his mistake I basically just dropped my 60clanrats in front of his left side. Got the first flamer out and all three rattlings in range of his 6flamers and any buffs my general could give them.

With that said my opponent lost his most priced flamer unit to a single rattling gun, yet I was unable to do much else with the rest of the two rattling guns, since I did not think that one was enough to deal with his hammers.

The rest of my army didn’t do much either.

yet I was able to capture all of the objective and completed the first battletactics, which brought me seven points ahead.

on my opponents first turn, he tried to cast a few thing, and yet was sadly only able to get mystic shield on his  bird, and hid special spell of, which did a single mortal wound on my unit of 60clanrats. (He was a bit unlucky this turn).

not really having any combat units, he just stated out of combat and tried to kill some clanrats with his magical flames, which mostly failed.

he ended up scoring 5points on his turn.

on my second turn, I got my second flamer out and moved my rattling up the board.

my hell pit abomination rolled an 8 for movement, and so was also able to get into combat this turn.

Basically this was the end for my opponent, since he lost halve his army to my shooting and the hell pit abomination, which He could not damage with any magic.

so at the end of his second turn, he conceded.

75EF072F-78EB-4B59-8E5C-AF1BC8CBD4F2.jpeg.605b890790d6df4e68696e81b4e52db9.jpegBFDE9F1A-4E52-495A-BE08-2DF6AEA8C661.jpeg.b4d5e94bc287bcfa87692f1e2e4a0998.jpeg57D0A56C-3FE8-417B-8E04-FBA2099ED41F.jpeg.9def459651dd5390ac801bf379b7dc5e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

38 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

Anyone been testing out thanquol?

I have! He has been an all-star so far between being able to delete large blocks of infantry, his great spellcasting, and his small base size allowing you to do some creative pile-ins and Scurrying.  Last game I killed 40 Mortek Guard with just him, letting Stormfiends take care of other higher priority targets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing against a Sons if behemat Tvis weekend. havent played against Them before. Any advice? I was considering something alting the lines of: 

Arch Warlock.  175 General, CT: Overseer of destruction. Amulet of destiny

Thanquol.       405 death frenzy, braziers

Deceiver.       345 spell: Flaming swords

Plague priest 85.  Lieber bubonicus

40 Clanrats 260

20 Clanrats 130

30 stormvermin 330

Ratlin 65

Ratlin 65

Ratlin 65.        

Emerald lifeswarm 60.     1985

4 hours ago, Diemer84 said:

Playing against a Sons if behemat Tvis weekend. havent played against Them before. Any advice?

They play objectives extremely well. It depends on sub faction but for the most part the Megagargants counts as 20 models and Gargants as 10 and megagargants are both heroes and battleline (matters on some battle plans). They also don't lose models as they take wounds obviously so a megagargant with 1 wound still counts as 20 (which is insane if the game turns into a grind). They don't bracket too badly and can fight at top bracket for a CP which means you really want to focus down 1 giant at the time.

Other things to watch out for is the Longshanks ability which lets them walk over units with 10 or less move. I had 20 clanrats surround an objective the other day to block a megagargant from reaching it, he then rolled an 11" charge and just walked over them and took it. In my first game against them, before I was used to the ability, I had a megagargant charge over my screens and into my goodies, instantly lost me the game. Their bases are huge though so just make sure they don't have room to "land" if possible.

The warstomper gets bonuses fo attacks for every model within 3" so be careful how you screen. If he ends up in combat with both your clanrats and deciever/thanqoul he can use the bonus attacks from the clanrats to attack the character, which isn't what you would expect. The gatebreaker can destroy faction terrain so mind where you place the gnawholes, using rampage he can destroy 2 gnawholes in a single turn. That being said if you place them well he can't afford to destroy them since it would require a 500pt megagargant to waste his entire turn. The Kraken-eater can kick objectives which has massive implications. He needs to be within 1" and in control of it though. 

They also have some new things that is 3.0 specific. Everything is a monster which will have a big impact on scoring. He has a ton of ways to get bonus points with the battle tactics but you get a bonus point for every monster killed so scoring on both sides will be higher than usual. Thanqoul is also a monster so make sure he doesn't score a bunch of bonus pts against him. "Bring it down!" will be worth 4 VPs against him so be careful.

Sons of Behemat are often referred to as a "dps check", which is a mmo term for bosses that require you do deal damage quickly before they trigger some ability that kills everyone, and its a tag that fits the Megagargants well. If you can deal enough damage quickly enough to burst them down one at the time you win, otherwise you lose.

Edited by umpac
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:20 PM, vinnyt said:

SO, everyone keeps saying, oh this is the monster edition, oh we like monsters, oh you need monster heroes, etc, etc. Well that may be true but I don't play SKAVEN to not run unwashed hordes of rats. 

That's right, it's time for another Battle Report!!! 2000 points versus Stormcast with the new Dominion goodies.

Our heroes:

Reveal hidden contents

horde_army_pic.jpg.4f32c3659c68332ebcc916125fac7eea.jpg

Bombardier general w/ Deranged Inventor and MMWP

Engineer w/warp spark generator and MMWP

Plague Priest on Furnace w/ Curse

40 Clanrats in Hunters

20 Clanrats

20 Clanrats

6 Stormfiends in Hunters

20 Plague monks

10 Plague monks

WLV

1990 points, 3 drops, and a crispy 110 rattos (total wounds: 171ish)

Our dastardly, mostly unpainted foes! 

Reveal hidden contents

1677180182_stormcastarmy.jpg.c2003251711acf3316fbd483e96801e3.jpg

Hammers of Sigmar:

Yndrasta

Gav

New character with Dog Friend

Banner boi of rezzing models

3x5 Liberators

2x3 Annihilators

10 Evocators

3 Praetors

We roll up the classic scenario with 3 central objectives and one's an alpha. 

DEPLOYMENT

Reveal hidden contents

deployment.jpg.4b0f41cfd8253c6d43a7b3e1988c6552.jpg

He puts both annihilators, Gav, banner guy, and evocators in deep strike.

I knew he was gonna put guys into deepstrike and as a KO player, I knew that denying cheeky deepstrikes was the clear path to victory. I also knew that with a huge part of his army off the table, I would be able to swarm the objectives with a ridiculous number of bodies, as is the skaven way.

I give him first turn and the far left objective is worth double!

TURN ONE

Reveal hidden contents

1073323713_turn1mark.jpg.f59afd1e5900ed3c83cb7230d99afb22.jpg

He picks Ferocious Advance with the Yndrasta bunker

He starts by rolling a 2 to run the leftmost liberators which means they aren't in range to cap the alpha objective which means that he has to bring down an Annihilator unit to make sure he gets the 2 points. They kill like 6 rats and don't bother the Furnace with the Deepstrike shenanigans. The furnace redeploys towards them. Otherwise stuff just moves up to get objectives and runs for the battle tactic. The right Gnawhole draws first blood by killing a liberator by being deadly.

I start by declaring Ferocious Advance and then immediately casting MMWP and WLV as is tradition. WLV punks some clanrats and some liberators. Furnace fails to curse the annihilators. The Furnace never got a prayer off all game so yeah.

I then swarm tf out of the objectives while chaining out the plague monks to stop cheeky deepstrikes and keeping the 10 man monk unit back to screen out the DS while also being a gnawhole threat.

In the Skaven phase, the Stormfiends forget to use all out attack but still kill the central liberators and like 1.5 Annihilators.

Then the Furnace charges the Annihilators and removes them from the game with d3+4 mortal wounds.

I easily score all the objectives.and my battle tactic with the big block, engineer, and rightmost clanrat unit.

Score is 6-6, alpha objective goes to the center, and stormcast win priority for turn 2!

TURN 2

Reveal hidden contents

1751050940_turn2marked.jpg.bdfdfb06025e7daf0f1a44915748733f.jpg

Stormcast declare Savage Spearhead.

Hero phase is nonexistent beyond him dispelling my WLV with a heroic action.

He decides to escalate the pressure by bringing on the other unit of Annihilators to push the left objective. They kill a few more rats with the deepstrike bomb thing. Otherwise he moves up the right liberators and the Yndrasta bubble.

He misses Yndrasta's shot and the charges begin. He charges the Annihilators into the Furnace, Liberators into the 20 plague monks, and the Liberators into my right clanrat unit. He decides to not charge Yndrasta into the clanrat block because the MMWP stormfiends would really really really really like to Unleash Hell on her and the charge would take her out of Praetor range. Him waiting to declare if she would charge meant that the annihilators don't have to eat the shots since I was saving that reaction for the Yndrasta charge.

Combat starts and he goes with the Annihilators first and they show why -1 rend is kinda useless by doing 4 wounds to the Furnace. The Furnace then does the classic "roll a 1 for the Censer" thing and does no damage back. The Liberators kill like 4 plague monks who then kill 3 liberators back. The right Liberators kill 4ish clanrats and lose one in response.

He scores 3 points (1 for left objective and 2 for battle tactic).

I choose Aggressive Expansion for the auto points since I control 2 objectives on the centerline already.

Hero phase is lame and I only cast MMWP. Vortex fails even with a spark reroll.

I decide to get up in there and pin Yndrasta so she can't kill my general or be annoying.

Movement phase involves me retreating the plague monks to screen my back line while bringing in the Clanrats to steal that objective back. Otherwise it's pretty uneventful.

Stormfiends eliminate another 1.5 Annihilators and also all the Praetors. The Warlock engineer kills a liberator with his pistol!!!!

I charge the clanrats into the Liberator/Annihilator combat just in time for the plague furnace to bonk the annihilators for like 4 wounds, leaving one wounded one left. The leftmost liberators kill like 3 clanrats who then kill another one which is cool. The right-side slap fight continues but I outnumber him like 10:1 so I don't even care.

Yndrasta, absolute goddess of the Stormcast kills 6 clanrats.

I get 6 points, the alpha objective stays in the middle and the score is 12-9 skaven with stormcast winning priority for turn 3!

TURN 3

Reveal hidden contents

1479214597_turn3mark.jpg.85759ef240e320c60c48911d3a62fa81.jpg

Alrighty this is it, the turn where the Chosen of Sigmar sweep away the vermintide in righteous lightning!

He declares Conquer for the middle objective.

Hero phase is boring. Yndrasta gets ~value~ by bringing back a free Annihilator which is cool.

He brings down Gav, the Evocators, and the Banner boi to finish off the big brick o' rats.

He shoots like 3 rats to death and then CHARGES with everything at plus a million rerolling charges. Well the Stormfiends get to use that Unleash hell and plink off 2 Evocators. However, the Evocators show why -1 rend is useless and some All Out Defense on the clanrats means that between them and Yndrastra, only like 20 die, leaving me with 11 wee rattos. BUT, he sneakily brought the evocators within 3" of the fiends and blasts them for 7 mortals. The fiends take this kinda personal like and pile in, killing 2 evocators since MMWP is still active.

The Furnace wipes out the annihilators and the left clanrats kill the last liberator.

It turns out that he has (2+2+6) bodies for objectives which is less than the 11 rattos and 2 stormfiend "bodies".

So he scores 0 points for the turn.

At this point we call it since I'll score 6 points easily by retreating out of combat and holding that center objective. I'll also easily shoot the evocators to death with the Fiends and then it's Yndrasta vs literally my whole army.

SKAVEN WIN!!!!

WRAP UP

Ok yeah this list is way better than the Thanquol list.

The Skryre twins are awesome and do what they do with practically unlimited warpsparks. They also cast very very well and are soooo cheap.

Plague Furnace is actually really good. The Battleshock bubble was EXTREMELY helpful and the mortal wounds in CC basically mean it wins vs elite units. 4+ armor 5+ ward is sliiiiightly squishy but you should just shoot whatever can punch through that easily.

This list has the bodies to swarm objectives AND screen out any deepstrike. The Stormfiends are extremely good as always. I think 6 might actually edge out 9 for me because 9 seems like overkill almost all the time and having 40 bodies in front of them mean that I don't really have to worry about stuff just blowing through my screen. All out defense clanrats for a "4+" save is insanely good.

I think I just play this list as is for next time! Who needs Verminlords?

Did they faq clanrats shield not adding the Max cap save bonus of +1?

@DarkhanTheir shields along with similar abilities for other armies weren't FAQ'd. From now on, its serves essentially as a negate -1 rend. Remember you still add up all bonuses and negatives first before capping at +/- 1. Personally, shields are just a way the game makes it a disincentive to stack +1 save bonuses and as a consequence actually saves us a command point to send somewhere more exciting. 

Let’s talk Gnawholes - Things have changed now.  Not so much for “them” but the Royal us.

I’m looking for ways to creatively and deeply well thought out, deliberate strategic use of the Gnawholes now.

So it’s impassable 5” diameter terrain - that won’t stop LOS for our Behemoths, we can elect to place in our Deployment Zone.  But probably no more than 2 now with 18” between.  So we can’t fit x3 impassable areas, that could be worse.

We get a +1 to Dispel, That’s nice.  

We can’t not just play with them.

Change my opinion- Too easy to shut down for our board maneuver, and arguably  (?) less effective for Magic.

@Coyote I don't think anyone is gonna try to change your mind. They're great. And when they're not, they're outta the way and unimportant. 

Can I blow everyone's minds right now? 

Impassable rule, pretty neat. Units can't setup on them. Units can't move across them. But have you ever seen a gnawhole land on a unit, a la Wicked Witch of the East style? I thought not. 

Gnawbomb. Look it up. Let the gears start turning. 

• LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Coyote said:

@Riff_Raff_Rascal

Ok, so we need to bring 1 Eshin Assassin, or Deceiver.

What happens when the terrain feature is changed to impassable to the units already in or on it?

They can't move. Its a very niche gimmick and we have are spoiled with amazing artefacts so I don't see myself taking it if I want to go competitive. Your opponent  also knows you have it and can easily avoid it by not putting important stuff inside terrain. Its fun though and can offer some double turn protection.

Edited by umpac

@CoyoteMwaahhahahah. See-look with your eyes, the page in book-rules yes-yes. They can't move-slink! Any flesh-thing without wings to carry-fly them to safety is doomed! 

Stupid-short Gotrek is trapped-bound to our will! Surely be on council soon, wait-see.

What if, no, yes-yes, we plant bomb on own troops!? All is safe. No blade-cut happen. 

Edited by Riff_Raff_Rascal
  • LOVE IT! 2

56 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@CoyoteMwaahhahahah. See-look with your eyes, the page in book-rules yes-yes. They can't move-slink! Any flesh-thing without wings to carry-fly them to safety is doomed! 

Stupid-short Gotrek is trapped-bound to our will! Surely be on council soon, wait-see.

What if, no, yes-yes, we plant bomb on own troops!? All is safe. No blade-cut happen. 

Yeah the artefacts is amazing,

Haven’t tried it yet, but I could see myself using it at some point in the future

Edited by Skreech Verminking

19 hours ago, umpac said:

They can't move. Its a very niche gimmick and we have are spoiled with amazing artefacts so I don't see myself taking it if I want to go competitive. Your opponent  also knows you have it and can easily avoid it by not putting important stuff inside terrain. Its fun though and can offer some double turn protection.

To me it feels like this was not really intended... but what a strange interaction! Has anyone actually tried this against an opponent? Just shared this with a friend in my play group, and he was mega sceptical.

Deeper existential question: what happens to a unit that is garrisoning a defensible terrain feature, only to have it turned into a Gnawhole?

My impression is that this artefact was overlooked, since before you could legally be on a Gnawhole, though now you shouldn't really ever be on one; the artefact as written seems to create a game state that 'probably' shouldn't exist.

Very skaven though bahahahah

@BeerBoar Your points are valid. Your evidence is founded. Your logic sound. 

However....

You're in the skaven chat my friend. We treat rules like pirates treat booty. We break the rules and take as many rules as we can. May the the Great Horned One smite @BeerBoar for his competent words.

That said, anyone following this silly line of conversation must adhere to the rules of friendly competition. Don't pull tricks like this on an unsuspecting opponent without telling them at the top of the match. This idea has a high chance for BPA (bad play experience). In this humble skaven player's opinion, while it is not a broken strategy and arguably thematic, it most certainly demands careful implementation because of its unintended interactions with rules. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@BeerBoar Your points are valid. Your evidence is founded. Your logic sound. 

However....

You're in the skaven chat my friend. We treat rules like pirates treat booty. We break the rules and take as many rules as we can. May the the Great Horned One smite @BeerBoar for his competent words.

Hahahahahaah I shall learn-grow from this master. I am but a humble Moulder, new to my clan.

But yeah, the rules as written are kinda hilarious though. Hats off to all of you here for the Skaven engineering.