Age of Sigmar RPG

Emmetation

11 hours ago, Lucio said:

Really? By that point why bother? A new Warhammer Quest set will be out which'll do the job just fine.

Well yeah, a delay is always disappointing. 

But don't you think that it's better than 1. nothing at all and 2. a rushed product ? 

We have regular updates coming from the designers (including fine folks like Josh Reynolds) and what we have seen so far is really promising. 

NB : I must say I'm excited for this game essentially for the artworks, maps and fluff (I played Dark Heresy and WFRP 3rd but I mostly loves RPG for the detailed  narratives and expanded worldbuilding), so our expectations may differ on that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, michu said:

@HorticulusTGA And we really don't know if there will be new WHQ next year. I think GW will focus on the Blackstone Fortress for now.

Absolutely. And that's 2 different things (even if, unlike Silver Tower, Shadow Over Hammerhal brought a huuuge deal of world building).

But I'm sure we will see something for WHQ soon-ish, as the designers talked in WD and on the SCE Podcast about how the were inspired by ST and SoH to create BSF, and how they will return to AOS (so the reverse must be true ... :P).

(And as we are discussing in the other thread, Warhammer Quest is one of GW's Core game, so they should do something for AOS too along the road, IMO between now and end 2020). 

Yeah, honestly I don't get how a new Quest is at all the same thing as a new RPG.

Can you play a tree-revenant grappling with the fact that your soul is actually one of the feckless protectors while fighting the Tzeentch-corrupted sorcerer who knew you in that past life?

Can you play a Stormcast Eternal dueling to the death with the vampire lord who was once your brother before you "betrayed" your tribe by being taken up into Sigmar's army?

Can you play a plucky Duardin demolitions expert, part of a crack team sent in to achieve missions that the Stormcast are ill-suited to, or can't be seen to have been involved with?

No? Then it's not an RPG, and an RPG is still a needed and welcomed product.

• Like 3

Yeah, Warhammer quest isn't on the same level as an actual RPG. You can certainly add RP elements to any skirmish game of that sort, and the idea of each player controlling a separate character is there. However, it will simply never have the same degree of flexibility, open endedness and player freedom as a true RPG.

It is possible to play an RPG like D&D as more of a tactical miniatures game by going in a very Hack-and-Slash direction and not worrying too much about the story and exploration elements. However that isn't how pretty much any RPG is played by default, even 4e D&D which many felt was more of that sort of game (unfairly I would say).

Its clear from the previews we've had so far that Souldbound is going to be a much more story focused RPG than your traditional dungeon crawler, even if it does have a robust combat element.

44 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

It is possible to play an RPG like D&D as more of a tactical miniatures game by going in a very Hack-and-Slash direction and not worrying too much about the story and exploration elements. However that isn't how pretty much any RPG is played by default, even 4e D&D which many felt was more of that sort of game (unfairly I would say).

Its clear from the previews we've had so far that Souldbound is going to be a much more story focused RPG than your traditional dungeon crawler, even if it does have a robust combat element.

As we all know from telling narrative stories with a wargame, being built to handle extensive and gear-headed combat doesn't make a game unsuited to story!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

As we all know from telling narrative stories with a wargame, being built to handle extensive and gear-headed combat doesn't make a game unsuited to story!

Sure! You can add roleplaying to any kind of game if you try hard enough, and the wargames family have a lot of narrative potential. However there are fundamental differences in approach and design. The competitive aspect is a large part of that. RPGs do though create a much broader canvas than most other games are capable of, and so require less work to build a strong narrative.

• 2 weeks later...

ah nice, I like that it at least appears like they're going for a more story driven, less crunchy, dice pool system. Much as I like having all sorts of stats to nerd out over and thought C7 did a good job with WFRP I'm glad they're doing something different here.

I've really been getting into Free League's 'Tales From The Loop' & 'Things From The Flood' RPGs recently that have a similar system (though with their's pretty much every test you have to roll 6s), and in fact just 5 minutes ago pre-ordered their upcoming 'Alien' RPG, as I think it's a great system for more narrative focused role-playing games I reckon.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JPjr said:

ah nice, I like that it at least appears like they're going for a more story driven, less crunchy, dice pool system. Much as I like having all sorts of stats to nerd out over and thought C7 did a good job with WFRP I'm glad they're doing something different here.

I've really been getting into Free League's 'Tales From The Loop' & 'Things From The Flood' RPGs recently that have a similar system (though with their's pretty much every test you have to roll 6s), and in fact just 5 minutes ago pre-ordered their upcoming 'Alien' RPG, as I think it's a great system for more narrative focused role-playing games I reckon.

I'm intrigued by the Alien RPG, especially what lore theyll use since theres so much.

@Jetengine the full physical set (which looks incredible btw but then all Free League's stuff tends to) wont be out till the end of the year but if you order it now you can download the 'Cinematic Starter Kit' right away. that's about 150 pages in total, gives you the basic rules, background (it's set around 3 years after Alien 3, lots of emphasis on sinister corporations and political blocs engaged in a very Cold War on the frontier of space, seems like lots of scope for characters having secret objectives, all that kind of thing), pre-gen characters (Space truckers, colonists, colonial marines, secret androids etc) and a scenario, 'Chariot of the Gods', to play through. 

Just started working through it but it looks great (aesthetically that is, the artwork is incredible and so atmospheric) and as I say it seems based on the same system as some of their other games, which really emphasise the roleplaying aspect rather than having to pore through pages of tables to work out what happens every few minutes, with the right players and GM should be a really atmospheric game, going to try and run a session using the starter kit ASAP.

I mean try not to get hyped just by this trailer...

So anyway yeah if C7 are opting for something more along these lines for AoS then I'm definitely intrigued... Also C7 please give me a job writing adventures. Seriously. Really. Please!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

YE GODS!

LOOK AT IT!

LOOK

AT

IT!

https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp-the-enemy-within-collectors-edition/

Not sure how I'm going to justify, or even just plain afford, blowing £600 on a 30 year old campaign but goddam it I’m going to give it the good old college try...

————————

@Barkanaut not sure if that was aimed at me but if it was then... https://alien-rpg.com/

• Like 1

Wow that old campaign book set looks great - though the price is darn steep! I kinda hope that there's a more affordable option released alongside (or already is) because I'd hate to think of everyone who wants to play one of the top campaigns having to shell out £600

7 hours ago, Overread said:

Wow that old campaign book set looks great - though the price is darn steep! I kinda hope that there's a more affordable option released alongside (or already is) because I'd hate to think of everyone who wants to play one of the top campaigns having to shell out £600

Don't worry, we are releasing the standard editions too. These will be available for pre-order when the pdfs are complete, and will be more affordable. The collector's edition are created with collector's in mind and we know won't be for everyone. Both the standard and CE will have the same content so you won't be missing out on anything within the books themselves

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Emmetation said:

Don't worry, we are releasing the standard editions too. These will be available for pre-order when the pdfs are complete, and will be more affordable. The collector's edition are created with collector's in mind and we know won't be for everyone. Both the standard and CE will have the same content so you won't be missing out on anything within the books themselves

That's good to hear. The content sounds great, but that price tag can't be feasible for most gamers. If we can get the standard books gradually over a couple of years it's doable though. 

Saw the price and thought absolutely no way, then visited the link and now I want it, even though I don't have the core book or anyone to play with 😂

BTW if anyone around Manchester/the NW is keen for AOS rpg/WFRP then let me know

1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

So there are two editions being released?  An older edition and a new edition?

My reading of the description on the page is that both versions are updated to 4e WFRP, but one is a special cover collectors edition with slip cases, while the other is the regular version which will be in shops. I'm wondering whether you will have to get the adventure book and the companion book separately when the standard edition comes out, or whether they will be sold together still, though.

• 2 weeks later...