AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

54 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Does a Troggboss general with Loonskin receive 1 extra command point each round for being affected by the bad moon?

Until it leaves the otherside of the board yes, from earlier in the thread.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:16 PM, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I heard Doom and Darkness going through the book and he noted something big. Loonskin means the troggboss is always affected by the bad moon, but doesn't specify that it's just for their Regeneration. That means he's also generating an extra command point as per the allegiance abilities.

Honestly all the Command traits for the Troggboss look hilarious.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Honestly all the Command traits for the Troggboss look hilarious.

So, I have not had a chance to really dig into the book so far due to it arriving on tuesday and family & work obligations, but I have skimmed it a bit and one thing that stood out to me is just how good a job they did with Command Traits.  I have a tendency to collect rulebooks for miniature games (I just like reading them even if I don't play the game) and that also applies to army books.  I don't have all of the battletomes for the game, but I at least have all of them since Legions of Nagash (and a few earlier ones) and this is the first book where I can remember a LOT of command traits being interesting and stand-out.  Usually you have 1 clear winner and at best 1-2 other semi-interesting ones.  This book managed to make at least half of each command traits table seem quite good (in my opinion) and the book has 4 tables!

In regards to troggoths, the one that immediately drew my eye is the trait that allows you to reroll the melee damage from the club smash.  Good lord that is one of the nastier combat traits I think I have seen in this game to date.  The Troggboss hits like a freight-train already and that just makes it even scarier.

Edited by Skabnoze

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

In regards to troggoths, the one that immediately drew my eye is the trait that allows you to reroll the melee damage from the club smash.  Good lord that is one of the nastier combat traits I think I have seen in this game to date.  The Troggboss hits like a freight-train already and that just makes it even scarier.

Tough as Rocks is pretty solid, it makes him a 14 wound FOOT hero who regenerates wounds, Loonskin is equally fun.
Mighty Blow/Pulverising Grip have some of the most hilarious artefact interactions ever resulting in disgusting offensive potential.
Realmstone Hide gives him a 75% to ignore any aggressive spell targeted at him. 
Only AlphaTrogg looks bad.

Across all the Traits the only ones I think are bad are Sneaky Stabba, Great Shaman, Boss Shaman and Alphatrogg. Even then Boss Shaman and Great Shaman are usable at lower points values (1k) where grabbing a Loonboss or second Shaman isn't as easy.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:59 AM, Malakree said:

Then we compare the shooting phase attacks and they serve two totally different purposes. The most important being that the rockguts bolder throw is NOT a shooting attack. That means it ignores lookout sir, melee targeting restrictions etc. When combined with the 12" range rather than 6" it becomes clear that the rockguts attack is horrifically good at picking out support characters.

I know this analysis is 4 days old and that's a long time in this thread, but i didn't see this corrected here yet. 

The Rockgut shooting phase ability can only hit a hero on a roll of 1. Many people are reading this wrong.  This is one of those times reading the flavor text of the ability can help you understand better...

"Rockgut Troggoths often dig up boulders during battle and hurl them towards the enemy with varying degrees of accuracy"
So throwing boulders isn't very accurate (suprise).  so it makes sense this ability works better when used on a larger unit. 

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

Does a Troggboss general with Loonskin receive 1 extra command point each round for being affected by the bad moon?

Yes, if your Gloomspite Gitz general is effected by the moon you gain that point, and he will always be effected by the moon so give that Trogg 2 CP

12 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

The Rockgut shooting phase ability can only hit a hero on a roll of 1. Many people are reading this wrong.  This is one of those times reading the flavor text of the ability can help you understand better...

Rockguts.jpg.1dcccfe5d91ac496156aea32b6e80a3c.jpg

Specifically 

If the roll is equal to or less than the number of models in THIS unit...

So you roll against the number of models in the Rockgut unit NOT in the targeted unit. So a unit of 6+ Rockguts deals d3 mortals to a unit within 12" irrelevant of what it is.

EDIT: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Core-Rules-and-Bases-Sizes-EN.pdf

Page 7

Q: Sometimes an ability will refer to ‘this model’ or ‘this unit’, and sometimes to ‘that model’ or ‘that unit’. Is there a difference?

A: Yes. When an ability says ‘this model’ or ‘this unit’, it is referring to the model or unit to which the ability applies. When an ability says ‘that model’ or ‘that unit’, it is referring to a model or unit that was referred to earlier in the same ability. So, for example, an ability on a model’s warscroll might say: ‘Pick an enemy unit within 12" of this model. That unit suffers D3 mortal wounds.’ This would mean that you pick an enemy unit within 12" of a model that has this ability, and inflict D3 mortal wounds on the unit that you picked.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I know this analysis is 4 days old and that's a long time in this thread, but i didn't see this corrected here yet. 

"Rockgut Troggoths often dig up boulders during battle and hurl them towards the enemy with varying degrees of accuracy"
So throwing boulders isn't very accurate (suprise).  so it makes sense this ability works better when used on a larger unit. 

Read it again 😉 A unit of 3 troggoths will hit on a 1-3, a unit of 6 on a 1-6 (so, always). The key word is this unit. 

I guess the fluff could mean some are accurate, some aren’t. So the more Troggoth you have, the better chance to hit.

12 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Wait, "Roll a dice, if the roll if equal to or less then the number of models in THIS unit"

Now if this refering to the Rockguts them selves? Whereas earlier in the rule it states "pick a unit 12" within THIS unit"

Or does it mean THIS unit as in the unit that was selected to receive the attack,  it doesnt seem clear.

38 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Across all the Traits the only ones I think are bad are Sneaky Stabba, Great Shaman, Boss Shaman and Alphatrogg. Even then Boss Shaman and Great Shaman are usable at lower points values (1k) where grabbing a Loonboss or second Shaman isn't as easy.

That is roughly my thoughts also.  I am not overly fond of Cunning Plan & Low Cunning.  Those are ok if you really need command points in a list and can't spare the points for a battalion or just a spare 50 points.  In that regard it is nice to have those for the option, but I don't see myself ever taking them.  I am also not very fond of Dead Shooty.  I am also not quite sure about a couple of the Spiderfang command traits, but they still have a number of nice ones.

4 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Read it again 😉 A unit of 3 troggoths will hit on a 1-3, a unit of 6 on a 1-6 (so, always). The key word is this unit. 

I guess the fluff could mean some are accurate, some aren’t. So the more Troggoth you have, the better chance to hit.

More rocks means more accurate. 

Classic dakka dakka

• Like 1

Just now, Batch said:

Wait, "Roll a dice, if the roll if equal to or less then the number of models in THIS unit"

Now if this refering to the Rockguts them selves? Whereas earlier in the rule it states "pick a unit 12" within THIS unit"

Or does it mean THIS unit as in the unit that was selected to receive the attack,  it doesnt seem clear.

The way it the rule is worded it is referring to the Troll unit itself.  Now, maybe the designers did not mean for it to work that way, but if that is the case they should have used a phrase such as "less than the targeted/selected/chosen unit" rather than "this unit".  They could clear it up in the errata, but I am pretty sure they meant to specify the troll unit.

I think the idea is that the trolls are using accuracy by volume of rocks thrown.  So it has less to do with how many enemies there are and more to do with how many trolls are hurling big rocks.

6 minutes ago, Batch said:

the Evocators have the same wording but it was clarify that the dice roll is for the number of Evocator in the unit, so I believe it should work the same way.

Boingrot also has the same wording but you definitely roll the dice for every boingrot models in the unit to do the MW

1 hour ago, The World Tree said:

Yeah when put like that it makes more sense.

So how is everyone going to be painting their troggies? I'm really on the fence at the moment for my scheme.

On the fence too, thinking a black or dark grey for the hard skin, and either a cream or light blue for the underbelly.

The mushrooms and crystals are where the colour will pop, possibly bright blues, but here is a question. Where can I find luminous paint for miniatures?

Hello, in the battletome in Spanish the rule says: in your shooting phase, choose 1 enemy unit 12 "or less from this unit and visible to it and roll a die.If the roll is equal to or greater than the number of miniatures from that enemy unit, he suffers 1d3 mortal wounds.
So I think it's a misprint of the book in English. Because the rule makes more sense being difficult to shoot rocks.

2 hours ago, Nezgor said:

Hello, in the battletome in Spanish the rule says: in your shooting phase, choose 1 enemy unit 12 "or less from this unit and visible to it and roll a die.If the roll is equal to or greater than the number of miniatures from that enemy unit, he suffers 1d3 mortal wounds.
So I think it's a misprint of the book in English. Because the rule makes more sense being difficult to shoot rocks.

Considering various rules agree with you, such as the Fangs of da bad moon and the Dankholds Grip, but until we see an FAQ we need to run to how it says. But I expect it to change.

Meaning several units of 3 will be more viable then the units of 6 we currently have to run.

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Does the Hag get the double Regeneration under the moon?

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

Yes.

I don’t believe this is correct. The rule states if you first roll to regenerate is successful then you get to double the regen, the hag just gets the regen, she does not roll for it. Until it is FAQ’ed otherwise I believe that is the way to play RAW.

5 hours ago, Nezgor said:

Well I am pretty certain that the rules team writes the rules in English first and then has translation teams for other language publications.  So with that in mind I would trust the English version more as the mistake probably lies with the translation team.

• Like 1