AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 5/28/2019 at 7:46 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

So with 60 glade guard in the mail, Im looking for a few suggestions as to where to go from here. I love the warscroll of the sisters of the watch, I LOVE the wildwood rangers models (in fact used them to create a wood elf blood bowl team). How popular is the waystone pathfinders warscroll battalion? It seems pretty great, if not a bit dated (relying on the nomad prince to survive to function a la 'kunnin rukk' (which GW seems to have moved away from). But it's nice it would give me a reliable roadmap for purchases and projects. 

How likely are wanderers to get a battletome. Looking through GHB 2018 it seems about HALF of the armies that got abilities last year recieved a battletome since. So having a  base rule set it seems GW might re-release the wanderers line! Its almost as if the GHB ruleset serves as sort of a beta ruleset to test run. I love the unique mechanics and playstyle of the wanderers and hope the receive some attention. 

You'll probably want at least one Nomad Prince, one Spellweaver, and one Waywatcher for a solid Wanderer collection, and potentially more than one Waywatcher. Otherwise you already named the Sisters of the Watch and the Wildwood Rangers which are both solid picks, especially if you love the models. 1Don't overlook the efficiently pointed Eternal Guard as an effective chaff screen, though.

The battalion isn't awful right now, but it is overcosted for something that hinges so much on a 5 wound model, in this Age of D6 mortal wounds. It's essentially a worse Kunnin Rukk, but it's also our best/only way of lowering our drops right now. It's also makes for a decent thematic roadmap for collecting Wanderers, if not the ideal build. Many see the battalion requirement of two units of either Sisters of the Thorn or Wild Riders as a substantial tax as it stands. All of this stands to change in the coming weeks with the imminent June release of the General's Handbook (GHB) 2019. For now, picking up a couple heroes and some Wildwood Rangers to go with your Glade Guard would make a solid starting force of Wanderers until we know more about what will change in the new GHB.

Here's hoping to some substantial point decreases for the battalion and our cavalry! What's on everybody's GHB wishlist? What changes to our battle traits will they make this year? ;)  Maybe, with all that new room - with half the 'GHB allegiances' gone - they can give us a new battalion to play with (or two), like Seraphon/Fyreslayers/Ironjawz got in last year's book.  Maybe even a Wanderer spell lore table? Although the more we get, the less likely a book of our own is coming real soon, huh?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

You'll probably want at least one Nomad Prince, one Spellweaver, and one Waywatcher for a solid Wanderer collection, and potentially more than one Waywatcher. Otherwise you already named the Sisters of the Watch and the Wildwood Rangers which are both solid picks, especially if you love the models. 1Don't overlook the efficiently pointed Eternal Guard as an effective chaff screen, though.

The battalion isn't awful right now, but it is overcosted for something that hinges so much on a 5 wound model, in this Age of D6 mortal wounds. It's essentially a worse Kunnin Rukk, but it's also our best/only way of lowering our drops right now. It's also makes for a decent thematic roadmap for collecting Wanderers, if not the ideal build. Many see the battalion requirement of two units of either Sisters of the Thorn or Wild Riders as a substantial tax as it stands. All of this stands to change in the coming weeks with the imminent June release of the General's Handbook (GHB) 2019. For now, picking up a couple heroes and some Wildwood Rangers to go with your Glade Guard would make a solid starting force of Wanderers until we know more about what will change in the new GHB.

Here's hoping to some substantial point decreases for the battalion and our cavalry! What's on everybody's GHB wishlist? What changes to our battle traits will they make this year? ;)  Maybe, with all that new room - with half the 'GHB allegiances' gone - they can give us a new battalion to play with (or two), like Seraphon/Fyreslayers/Ironjawz got in last year's book.  Maybe even a Wanderer spell lore table? Although the more we get, the less likely a book of our own is coming real soon, huh?

I'd be happy if they just gave us back our original allegiance abilities.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:20 PM, Loose Until The Last!! said:

If I have +1 to hit (stationary Waywatcher, Eternal Guard fortress etc) 

and re-roll 1's to hit with the Nomad Prince.. 

Are my 1's now 2's and can't be re rolled?? Surly not? ...But the Nomad Princes command ability don't say unmodified ones like other rules here and there..

I don't think so, re-rolls are before modifiers (from the core rules). So you roll to hit, re-roll all the 1s then apply the 1+ to hit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

The big one was teleporting any number of units. The current one is limited to one unit.

Yes, exactly.  Restricting it to only one unit and having to be "wholly within" 6 inches of the edge in order to teleport really did render it almost useless.  I use it to teleport Waywatchers about and pretty much little else.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:05 PM, captainhelion said:

Loose Until The Last!!, you get to reroll the 1s, because rerolls happen before modifiers. So you'd roll your dice, reroll any 1s, then apply modifiers. 

16 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

I don't think so, re-rolls are before modifiers (from the core rules). So you roll to hit, re-roll all the 1s then apply the 1+ to hit.

I knew it!! I was told otherwise, and have been choosing between them...  

No more!

Cheers guys!

Edited by Loose Until The Last!!
  • Like 1

But also because of this rule you have to watch out when rolling saves for the Nomad Prince and any Shield of Thorn troops. Rerolls before modifiers means that you reroll all fails before apply rend.

So for a Nomad prince taking a save on a -2 rend hit, he saves on 6s re-rolling 1, 2s and 3s.

• Like 1

The new Wood Aelf Blood Bowl team announced today is really cool looking, glad we get some new models in some form. Will definitely be picking the team up for conversions; and they mentioned customization options for the team - could be cool to have some extra heads and such to use with existing Wanderer kits for extra build variety.

I know Blood Bowl is a different universe from AoS but it's nice to know they haven't forgotten the awesome and unique aesthetic Warhammer Wood Aelves have. Would love to see some plastic AoS Wardancers in this same vein.

Idk I was dissapointed in how unsuitable they feel for conversions. Maybe it's the awful paint jobs but they look like they'd mostly make better harlequins than wood elves. Idk. Maybe somebody will put some conversions up that just blow me away and have my foot so far in my mouth I'll be poopin laces, but they certainly don't inspire ME (except maybe the main throwing girl if you swap her a spear maybe?)

Those blood bowl elves do not even look like wood elves... Why tentacles and yellow?

On 5/29/2019 at 3:29 PM, Rusty293 said:

I can still field my wood elf army

And yet GW completely removed the way more recent Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team Warscroll.............

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, awcamawn said:

The new Wood Aelf Blood Bowl team announced today is really cool looking, glad we get some new models in some form. Will definitely be picking the team up for conversions; and they mentioned customization options for the team - could be cool to have some extra heads and such to use with existing Wanderer kits for extra build variety.

I know Blood Bowl is a different universe from AoS but it's nice to know they haven't forgotten the awesome and unique aesthetic Warhammer Wood Aelves have. Would love to see some plastic AoS Wardancers in this same vein.

Aren't they at a different scale now? I thought they had got bigger?

I would love to see those shweet looking masks on some new Warhawk Riders or Wardancers or something..

On 5/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, Rusty293 said:

I play mixed order limited to Elves and Sylvaneth so I can still field my wood elf army from old hammer. It's great fun plus the Avatar of the Hunt with Ghyrstrike and legendary fighter is an absolute monster in combat! 

Can you remind me what the Ghyrstrike does please?

14 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Those blood bowl elves do not even look like wood elves... Why tentacles and yellow?

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the colour scheme (and overall theme).

2 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Can you remind me what the Ghyrstrike does please?

+1 to hit and +1 to wound on a melee weapon. So the hunting spear in melee hits on 2+, wounds on 2+ with -2 rend and flat 3 damage. Legendary fighter trait for the additional attack for 5 attacks in total makes for quite the damage dealer (which you'd expect at it's cost!). Is it optimal? Nope! But I can tell you it's immense fun. 

• Thanks 1

I've got a 2k tournament coming up this weekend, and rather than bring my angry trees, I'm going to field my Wanderers! I'm not running the battalion, so I'll definitely be going second, but doing so lets me bring basically everything good in the army, and a lot of it.

List is going to be Nomad Prince (Artefact: Starcaster Longbow), Waystrider (General, CT: Mystwalker), Waywatcher, Spellweaver, 20 Glade Guard, 20 Sisters of the Watch, 10 Wild Riders, 5 Sisters of the Thorn, and two groups of 20 Wildwood Rangers for an even 2k.

I'll try to take notes and stuff and post my results. I expect the rest of the field to go pretty hard for this tournament, but I've been treebullying for a few months and with the new book coming out soon (hopefully) I want to give them a bit of a rest. Besides, my local meta is really heavy into monsters, and they won't like 40 WWR up in their face with Shield of Thorns.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, overtninja said:

I'll try to take notes and stuff and post my results.

Uh yeah, very interested to hear about your time and results. Photos would be awesome, too.

Interesting that you pick a Waystrider and even make him the General. Can you talk about the reasoning behind that decision? Also I'm very curious to hear how the 10x unit of Wild Riders will do. Are you running them with shields?

2 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Uh yeah, very interested to hear about your time and results. Photos would be awesome, too.

Interesting that you pick a Waystrider and even make him the General. Can you talk about the reasoning behind that decision? Also I'm very curious to hear how the 10x unit of Wild Riders will do. Are you running them with shields?

Waystrider makes WWR Battleline, so I can bring two groups of 20 and a group of GG for my required Battleline, and it fulfills my needs for solid fighting units, one of the only ones that Wanderers have.

I'm bringing 10 Wildriders because I own them, and they are the old metal 80's hair band models, and I've got them riding Fenrisian Wolves. Basically, they are too cool not to use. I also find that they have sufficient staying power, at 20 wounds, and hit hard enough that they make a great unit to tag objectives and make long-bomb charges into the sorts of units that people use to guard their objectives.

I'm not going to run them with shields because I prefer their higher movement, and my general goal with them is pretty much to distract everyone, combo-charge if possible, and tag objectives. If they suck a lot of damage, it's actually better than any other outcome, since I can restore d3 models with my Spellweaver if necessary!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

Waystrider makes WWR Battleline

Oh no! I think you've miscalculated your list, because unfortunately it is the Wayfinder-as-general and not the Waystrider that allows Wildwood Rangers as battleline. :( 

I really like your list too, really leaning in to what melee strength we have is awesome - all monsters will fear you! Seems like a lot of fun to play. One thing I would mention is potentially considering our other command traits. Whether Waystrider or Wayfinder, your opponent is unlikely to target them as your general (neither is quite the threat of a Spellweaver, Waywatcher, or Nomad Prince) and thus your Mystwalker trait may go unused. Singer of Spells could be a useful alternative for example, depending on how much magic you're likely to face the extra unbind attempt could be very handy. Or, a Wayfinder could benefit from Eagle Eyed or Masterful Hunter to make his Arrow of Doom extra threatening.

Oh no! I think you've miscalculated your list, because unfortunately it is the Wayfinder-as-general and not the Waystrider that allows Wildwood Rangers as battleline. :( 

I really like your list too, really leaning in to what melee strength we have is awesome - all monsters will fear you! Seems like a lot of fun to play. One thing I would mention is potentially considering our other command traits. Whether Waystrider or Wayfinder, your opponent is unlikely to target them as your general (neither is quite the threat of a Spellweaver, Waywatcher, or Nomad Prince) and thus your Mystwalker trait may go unused. Singer of Spells could be a useful alternative for example, depending on how much magic you're likely to face the extra unbind attempt could be very handy. Or, a Wayfinder could benefit from Eagle Eyed or Masterful Hunter to make his Arrow of Doom extra threatening.

I always mix up the names of the Wayfinder and Waystrider - but yeah I built the list with the 2h-sword guy as my general. You are probably right about the command trait, but of all the options I felt that it would give him the most survivability, as it means that he can't be targeted with anything unless he's closest, which saves him from ranged and melee attacks. He can still get hit with spells, but if you are sniping my 5-wound dudes with spells like that, I'm coming out ahead. I run him in the middle of one of my WWR blocks, so he can pile in if the block gets charged and not be afraid of being targeted, and he can freely charge in thanks to his 25mm base size - he can squeeze between two WWRs and get within 1/2 an inch, but still be farther away than the rangers! It takes a bit of careful positioning, and if all else fails he can just charge in and get to work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, overtninja said:

I always mix up the names of the Wayfinder and Waystrider - but yeah I built the list with the 2h-sword guy as my general.

I guess what I meant is that you're lacking three battleline with the 2-handed sword hero as your general as you need the Wayfinder - the hero with the greatbow and hawk - to count Wildwood Rangers as battleline. The Wayfinder is 20 points more than a Waystrider as well. I love the concept of the list, though.

Well, that's just a mess. When I was using the official warscroll builder on the community webpage, it appeared to all check out, but it looks like that thing is just broken and doesn't even pay attention to who's the general when you try to determine core. I don't even know, at this point, how it even registered that I had enough in the first place!

I'll have to contact the TO and tell them I've messed up, I'll monkey around with my list and figure it out. -_-' Thanks for the tips, everyone.

edit - I'll drop the Wildriders down to 5 and take a Waystrider as well, with 20 points for an endless spell - probably quicksilver swords. This let's me take Stalker of the Endless Paths as a Command Trait and go for cheeky cross-field teleports, and use my Nomad Prince with one group of WWR and the Waystrider with the other. Sad I won't be able to use all 10 doggy boys, but I'll deal with it.

double edit - I'll go with the Maelstrom, there'll be enough spells going off that I'd rather try to punish them than have a great big pile of spinning swords in my way.

Edited by overtninja
  • Like 3