AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello fellow Dwarfs,

I played Dwarfs in WFB and use them in KoW as well, but I was thinking of basing some on to rounds for AoS. I played a little AoS during the first GH, but used Skaven, so I'm aware of the basic rules, but I'm not up to speed with all the new changes/updates.

The models I would like to rebase are the following:
30 Ironbreakers
10 Irondrakes
20 Hammerers
Runelord
King

(possibly 20 Longbeards with 2H-Axes, although I'd rather keep those for another game if not completely necessary).
I also have an unpainted Steam Tank new in box that I could use as an Ally.

From what I've read in this thread, it would appear that I have a reasonable starting point, although it sounds like I need to buy/paint another 10 Irondrakes.

The AoS players here rarely play 2000 points, preferring 1000, 1250 or 1500. I believe the tournaments they run are usually 1250 points with 2 battleline units. They play relatively competitively, mainly using the newer factions with battletomes, but aren't hyper competitive. I believe they play on 4x4 tables rather than 6x4 (which might help the Dwarfs, regarding movement).

My questions:
Can I make a dispossessed army that can at least hold it's own against the likes of SC, NH, Sylvaneth, Khorne, Seraphon etc at 1250 points?
Can I do it with the models listed?
Are dispossessed generally fun to play and to play against? (I enjoy close games with difficult decisions for both players, the winner is unimportant)
Should I consider painting up a Gyrocopter, Orgun Gun or Cannon as allies?
Any general suggestions regarding Dispossessed at lower point levels?

How about this list @1250 (actually 1260, but I'm sure it would be fine):
Runelord
King
30 Ironbreakers
20 Hammerers
20 Irondrakes

Thanks
Pete

• Like 1

@pforson it should definitely work as we don't lose any synergies while most of other armies do.

Well this could definitely work. Might swap the king for a runelord for that extra unbind + extra -1 rend on a 2nd unit.

The +1  wound is really good but he is fragile so you can't rely on that as much + buffing your units will end up in much more damage than the king !

Around 1000 points i always felt that a flood of miniature or a really big and nasty one can dominate the game. Your list do bring ~ 80 wounds on the table and all elite units, should be good! 

And yes, you have a very good starting ground for your army. I would consider rebasing or adding at least 10 Longbeards to share the unit buff and build one more Runelord. One warden king should be good both for 1000 an 2000 points games.

Let me know how the 1260 points list goes!

N.d.r. Lately i had no time to play but i'm going to post more reports going in August! 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 5:12 AM, pforson said:

Hello fellow Dwarfs,

I played Dwarfs in WFB and use them in KoW as well, but I was thinking of basing some on to rounds for AoS. I played a little AoS during the first GH, but used Skaven, so I'm aware of the basic rules, but I'm not up to speed with all the new changes/updates.

The models I would like to rebase are the following:
30 Ironbreakers
10 Irondrakes
20 Hammerers
Runelord
King

(possibly 20 Longbeards with 2H-Axes, although I'd rather keep those for another game if not completely necessary).
I also have an unpainted Steam Tank new in box that I could use as an Ally.

From what I've read in this thread, it would appear that I have a reasonable starting point, although it sounds like I need to buy/paint another 10 Irondrakes.

The AoS players here rarely play 2000 points, preferring 1000, 1250 or 1500. I believe the tournaments they run are usually 1250 points with 2 battleline units. They play relatively competitively, mainly using the newer factions with battletomes, but aren't hyper competitive. I believe they play on 4x4 tables rather than 6x4 (which might help the Dwarfs, regarding movement).

My questions:
Can I make a dispossessed army that can at least hold it's own against the likes of SC, NH, Sylvaneth, Khorne, Seraphon etc at 1250 points?
Can I do it with the models listed?
Are dispossessed generally fun to play and to play against? (I enjoy close games with difficult decisions for both players, the winner is unimportant)
Should I consider painting up a Gyrocopter, Orgun Gun or Cannon as allies?
Any general suggestions regarding Dispossessed at lower point levels?

How about this list @1250 (actually 1260, but I'm sure it would be fine):
Runelord
King
30 Ironbreakers
20 Hammerers
20 Irondrakes

Thanks
Pete

Also the steam tank you have is a good way to push the army to 1500 points. It gives your army a big center piece to focus on while dwarfs get to the killing.

7 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Ok, i just noticed that in the official bases size errata all our army is on 25mm bases. Even heroes.

Didn't they come in a 32mm base? I have to rebase my runelords and warden kings :(

Official base size doc is officially just a recommendation. Dont worry about it (and they were on 32mm in the doc initially, but changed for some reason)

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

Ok, i just noticed that in the official bases size errata all our army is on 25mm bases. Even heroes.

Didn't they come in a 32mm base? I have to rebase my runelords and warden kings :(

This is actually kinda disappointing for me, I like heroes on larger bases.  I think I still might use larger bases. Do any of you think this would cause any problems in the future?

1 minute ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

This is actually kinda disappointing for me, I like heroes on larger bases.  I think I still might use larger bases. Do any of you think this would cause any problems in the future?

I think you'd be fine even in a tournament.  Just dont put them on a 60mm.

7 hours ago, Seraphage said:

Competitively wise it's better because we get to have better pile in and even more importantly : less opponents to attack our heroes + easier cover. 

You just give  yourself a disadvantage so no one will force you to change them ?

It wouldn’t be a big disadvantage either, one I would happily trade for a better looking hero model.

• Like 1

Hey everyone, been reading through and came up with this list. I'm looking to make my next armies Legion of Azgorh and Dispossessed. How would this fair for 1k? Local players have a bit of everything from Seraphon, DoK, IJ, LoN, SCE, Khorne/Nurgle.

2 Runelords

3x10 Ironbreakers

1x20 Irondrakes

I was looking to expand into 2k with something like this:

Warden King

2 Runelords

2x20 Ironbreakers

1x30 Hammerers

1x20 Irondrakes

The other 440 points are up in the air for me. Are gyrocopters or bombers any good? I thought they may add some mobility for objectives/hit backline units, was thinking 2x1 of those. Maybe add in long beards somewhere? I would love another 20 Drakes but that would put me 20 over unless I drop some ironbreakers, and 2 units of 20 seem too good over 2 units of 10 or 1x20 & 1x10. Maybe even just add in a couple of cheap units to hold objectives? I'm at a loss honestly. Not a fan of the older models like warriors/thunderers/quarrellers/etc. But I love heavy shooting armies. 

Edited by Gwendar

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Hey everyone, been reading through and came up with this list. I'm looking to make my next armies Legion of Azgorh and Dispossessed. How would this fair for 1k? Local players have a bit of everything from Seraphon, DoK, IJ, LoN, SCE, Khorne/Nurgle.

2 Runelords

3x10 Ironbreakers

1x20 Irondrakes

I was looking to expand into 2k with something like this:

Warden King

2 Runelords

2x20 Ironbreakers

1x30 Hammerers

1x20 Irondrakes

The other 440 points are up in the air for me. Are gyrocopters or bombers any good? I thought they may add some mobility for objectives/hit backline units, was thinking 2x1 of those. Maybe add in long beards somewhere? I would love another 20 Drakes but that would put me 20 over unless I drop some ironbreakers, and 2 units of 20 seem too good over 2 units of 10 or 1x20 & 1x10. Maybe even just add in a couple of cheap units to hold objectives? I'm at a loss honestly. Not a fan of the older models like warriors/thunderers/quarrellers/etc. But I love heavy shooting armies. 

For 1000 points it’s hard to say, but I think that probably wouldn’t do that great, imo you’re relying on the Irondrakes too much there, and you don’t have enough bodies too protect them.

For 2000 points that looks much better, I would definitely add at least one unit of longbeards, personally I would add two units then add either a wizard or a gyrocopter.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

For 1000 points it’s hard to say, but I think that probably wouldn’t do that great, imo you’re relying on the Irondrakes too much there, and you don’t have enough bodies too protect them.

For 2000 points that looks much better, I would definitely add at least one unit of longbeards, personally I would add two units then add either a wizard or a gyrocopter.

Maybe take out 10 Ironbreakers for 1 unit of 20 and a unit of 10 Hammerers? Or 20 Ironbreakers and 20 Hammerers and 10 Irondrakes? Either way I would be building towards models for 2k so whichever works better. 

Are copter better than bombers due to the steam gun? Being able to potentially cause d3 MW per bomber with a decent gun and 1 more wound seems better but I'm new to the dwarfs after all. Maybe I just need to look at the copter as a 80pt throwaway unit to cripple a large shooting unit and that's it? Maybe 1x10 Longbeards and 2 Copters instead of the below? 

Maybe:

Allegiance: Dispossessed

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
30 x Hammerers (420)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)

War Machines
Gyrocopters (80)
- Gun: Steam Gun
- Allies

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 129

So, I had thought about this for a while now.  In what direction do you think GW should take the Dispossessed? What concept should they take and turn up to 11, like they did with machines and slayers (Kharadron Overlords and Fyreslayers). 

Recently they stated in the White Dwarf that duardin are nearly immune to necromancy. Maybe GW could combine this with their ancestor worship in the world that was and make the Dispossessed into a anti-nagash "dead" faction. As they venerate the dead but their souls dont go to Shyish/Nagash. 

Warhammer: Total War had the ghosts of dead heroes supporting Belegar Ironhammer on his quest. Maybe they could try something similar with the ghosts/souls of dead ancestor supporting the duardin forces? 

Also, with Grimnir and Grungi accounted for, Valaya is the only one of the three still missing. So this could be a opportunity to re-introduce her. 

• Like 1

@Gwendar The big question for either the copter or bomber is do you know what armies you will be playing against?

@Gecktron I agree with @amysrevenge here, I think the current Dispossessed fit well as they are, I would however love to see us get some new models/kits. I would love to see the warriors, and quarrellers/thunderers get resculpted. Then I would love to see some large monsters for the dispossessed, as now they’re kinda lacking big centerpiece models. It would be great to get some faster moving cavalry, and a mounted king option, both of which could be on bears/rams/wolves or maybe some other type of creature. Another thing that could be interesting would be maybe a priest type model, another anti magic and buffing character.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

@Gwendar The big question for either the copter or bomber is do you know what armies you will be playing against?

I do, but I also really just like shooty units/the idea of copters. Hell, I'd love to just bring 2x40 drakes and call it a day. No matter their army, the local people play rather aggressively

41 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I do, but I also really just like shooty units/the idea of copters. Hell, I'd love to just bring 2x40 drakes and call it a day. No matter their army, the local people play rather aggressively

Well copters are better for hordes and larger numbers, bomber for single targets. Agressive play can definitely be countered by shooting but you have to have an effective screen for the shooting.