AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Im over the moon! What an fantastic update! Garison rules for our ships, re-deployment too, Frigats as battleline option, better Thunderers and Barak-Thyrng can take other Duardin units! Thats almost my whole wishlist!

The Aether-Gold mechanic looks useful. Not really game changing but a nice buff. 

Edited by Gecktron
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Does anyone know if garrisoned units claim objectives? If they can, that makes the Fly High rule even better.

well... the skyvessel itself can claim but doubtful (and not very thematic) if your skyfarers can claim inside boats. xD

Edited by Qaz

1 minute ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Does anyone know if garrisoned units claim objectives? If they can, that makes the Fly High rule even better.

I see nothing in the rules to gain say it. The location of the models is the whole of what they garrison. So you can determine if they are in range. 
The rules do list action they can take but claiming an objective is passive. 

• Like 1

Still dont know the details, but DAMN im regretting selling my KO last month. These changes all sound so fun and exactly what i wanted for so long. No mention of the new hero letting you take baloon boyz as battleline, that'll be incredibly disappointing. But frigates as battleline could be real cool.  The faction that lets you take other dwarves might be fantastic too just to use other models. I wonder if they can be carried by the ships :P

The aether gold feature is a nice touch as well. 

100% bummed by no spells or terrain. For everyone that says its not a big deal, ill point you at the OBR terrain piece. You give an army something for free they already have a leg up on any army that doesnt have one, same goes for spells. Its 100% a detriment to the army not having those things, just hands down, flat out, a disadvantage. 

Edited by Ser_namron
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

Also, the weapon stats for the floating endrinmaster are not only great on their own, but they give us insight into what I hope holds true for the whole army:

Cannons

Hitting

On 3’s.

I was kind of expecting 3+3+ across most of the army it’s the same thing they did with ogres on their rework and makes units that should hit hard actually do so. 

1 minute ago, Reuben Parker said:

I was kind of expecting 3+3+ across most of the army it’s the same thing they did with ogres on their rework and makes units that should hit hard actually do so. 

Yeah, but ironblasters (and other cannon analogs that wound on 2 with -2 rend and d6 damage) have been left to hit on 4’s.  Since this guy has the same cannon as thunderers, I have hope for them and cautious hope that our boats go to a 3 to hit on their cannons as well.  At least then I won’t regret not using magnets quite so much.

Also, I don’t see any reason why units on boats can’t count for holding objectives.  The garrison rules allow them to be targeted and attacked, and doesn’t say anything about them not being able to contest objectives.  

In any event, Kharadron Overlords just became the undisputed kings of mobility.

I think it’s a fair bet that overburdening the boat will prevent flying high, but frigates loaded with 10 thunderers just became SUPER scary and mobile.

2 minutes ago, SireScott said:

If there are good battalions the idea of deploying your whole army in airships across the backline, giving your opponent first turn then deep striking to focus on one part of the army sounds potentially superb.

Even without a battalion, you can probably get down to 3 drops or so (unless they change the rules for deploying in skyvessals).

The one downside that I see is that because flying high happens in the movement phase, and disembarking happens at the start of the hero phase (unless it changes too),  you can't get out of the boats to do the Endrinrigger charge, and do risk getting surrounded on the following turn.

7 minutes ago, Ser_namron said:

100% bummed by no spells or terrain. For everyone that says its not a big deal, ill point you at the OBR terrain piece. You give an army something for free they already have a leg up on any army that doesnt have one, same goes for spells. Its 100% a detriment to the army not having those things, just hands down, flat out, a disadvantage. 

Yeah that’s not why they are winning way too big. Just like it isn’t for Slaanesh. Of course its a leg up against nothing. but if the allegiance abilities are overpowered it doesn’t matter. If they are under powered you are not suddenly winning. So it only helps if it’s a part of you abilities. And as such it’s irrelevant. Only thing that’s relevant if the rules as a whole work. Doesn’t matter what’s in there except for flavour 

But cities won 2 big tournaments without it, as a case in point it helps but it’s not the end all be all. 

I heard of the aether gold system and I gotta say I don’t know if I like it

I hope they give aethergold a use of you don’t use it. If you aren’t given a bonus for not using it then that would mean its a waste to keep any of your units aether gold.

the army whose only goal is to be filthy rich would be punished for not giving up their gold... whut 

maybe I misread it?

Frigate as a battleline is no surprise at all. Will it be useful? dunno but you already can have 4 of them at 2K (or ironclads). With the new rule (fire from skyvessel) 4 of them, buffed and with troops inside, is  already a big investment. 

Not knowing the whole scope of the new rules, I don't know yet if I'd go more than 4 but it is good to have the opportunity.

This is not a KO 2.0 battletome, this is a NEW KO battletome, with new warscrolls, mechanics, possibilities, reborn from 2 years of AoS experience. Well done GW for , at least, having the balls to re think your work (avec eventually having listened to you fellow cuwtomers/players)