AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

These are awesome concepts!!! I love them all. But some of them seems to fit other armies and not KO. Let me explain:

After designing an unique army, the army has a "souls" (for me, it's a combination of flavour, aesthetics, background, etc...). And KO have one of the bests "souls":

-We are stunties, and we don't believe in gods, magic or anything outside of their aether-science (we survived Age of Chaos because of that!!!). That's represented in our stats (low movement, same stats with other dwarfs) , grudges (some in the Code, some in our warlords traits)  and Runes (we even have an item that's just a rune).

-We are pirates! Even we had to create The Code to stop our own wars. On the tabletop, there isn't anything to support that: we have fast-hitting cavalry like other armies, and ships that plays like <insert a random transport here> but that's all.  We need something more!!! And I'm not saying that more dmg to X weapons or more atacks with Y characters, I just want to say that I want diferent types of gameplay.

-Aether-science: That's our secret weapon. We use our science to try to have an edge over the enemy. That's represented with high-rend shooting weapons on the tabletop and one article from our Code, but we need more "things"  because our enemies have better (and advanced) weapons in form of Endless Spells, magic, summoning, etc...

What I'm trying to say is that we need more gameplay mechanics (not just numbers) to feel like true KOplayers. 

P.D: I'm not talking about new units, I'm just looking to our out-dated battletome and why I find that GW just missed the mark writting it (btw, we still have the best models).

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm fairly new to the hobby, and i have some questions:

Could you tell me which is the best Sky Fleets at the moment? What are your opinions about Barak-Urbaz and Barak-Thryng (i'm doubting between this two). 

It's this image true?:

1523715465269.jpg

If i decide to play (in the future) an official tournament, can i use the rules of Barak-Ziflin (for example) even if i have painted my army with the Barak-Thryng's colour scheme?

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Mungrun said:

I'm fairly new to the hobby, and i have some questions:

Could you tell me which is the best Sky Fleets at the moment? What are your opinions about Barak-Urbaz and Barak-Thryng (i'm doubting between this two). 

It's this image true?:

1523715465269.jpg

If i decide to play (in the future) an official tournament, can i use the rules of Barak-Ziflin (for example) even if i have painted my army with the Barak-Thryng's colour scheme?

Thanks in advance.

1 From my local meta perspective best skyports for 1000 pts game are barak urbaz, barak thryng, barak mhornar, for 1500-2000 pts game are barak urbaz, barak mhornar, barak zilfin.

2 Barak Urbaz and Barak Mhornar my favourite, Barak Thryng - very interesting lorewise. 

3 Image will be changing depending of your local meta and size of the game you play.

4 You can use any colours to paint your guys and declare any skyport. 

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Going back to adjustments, I do feel the save characteristic needs to change on the airships.  The Ironclad needs a 3+ save, Frigate a 4+, even if the points stay the same on them.

IMHO Better make them cheap and give them bombing run ability. 

Lately we had some of the best AoS rules design for new armies. 

I trust them to take the best possible decision about our ships, in the future KO rework! I recall them stating that they do look at online forums and discussions (Hi GW rulemonger) so we're in good hands ;)

• LOVE IT! 1

How are people painting up their Grundstock units?  I see a lot in the same scheme as the rest of the army, but has anyone painted them up like the privateers/hired guns they are portrayed as in the lore?

I have another frigate and 10 thunderers so planning to paint them with a different scheme but same basing.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, BWG Cannonball said:

Going back to adjustments, I do feel the save characteristic needs to change on the airships.  The Ironclad needs a 3+ save, Frigate a 4+, even if the points stay the same on them.

I agree on the saves for the ships. 4+ in a vacuum is not horrible. However most things that are shooting at it other than basic ranged weapons have at least -1 rend. This leaves the ship with a very paltry 5+ save, with no access to a ward save. 

I have always said that they just need to give all the ships the batten the hatches rule from the Ironclad. But making it a +1 to their save, rather than re-rolling 1's. (Its not like we have any other way to get +1 save). We of course would keep the rule about disabling embark/disembark.

Then change "Prove your Worth" to give one attack profile get +1 to hit for all visible vessels.

Also, Arkanaut companies need to be 100 points. with 12" range, they are not really any different than many other melee only units. The main downside is that they cannot use their damage dealing equipment every turn.

1 hour ago, greengiant said:

I agree on the saves for the ships. 4+ in a vacuum is not horrible. However most things that are shooting at it other than basic ranged weapons have at least -1 rend. This leaves the ship with a very paltry 5+ save, with no access to a ward save. 

I have always said that they just need to give all the ships the batten the hatches rule from the Ironclad. But making it a +1 to their save, rather than re-rolling 1's. (Its not like we have any other way to get +1 save). We of course would keep the rule about disabling embark/disembark.

Then change "Prove your Worth" to give one attack profile get +1 to hit for all visible vessels.

Also, Arkanaut companies need to be 100 points. with 12" range, they are not really any different than many other melee only units. The main downside is that they cannot use their damage dealing equipment every turn.

So you think that this will be balanced?

Alchemist - 160

Alchemist - 160

Alchemist - 160

Frigate - 240

Frigate - 240

30 Arcanauts with 9 skyhooks - 300

Ironsky squadron battalion - 130

Total 1990 pts. 

Under Urbaz this will be 72 skyhook shots turn 1 and 54 skyhook shot + 189 shots with pistols... I think this is abit too much.

33 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

So you think that this will be balanced?

Alchemist - 160

Alchemist - 160

Alchemist - 160

Frigate - 240

Frigate - 240

Ironsky squadron battalion - 130

Total 1990 pts. 

Under Urbaz this will be 72 skyhook shots turn 1 and 54 skyhook shot + 189 shots with pistols... I think this is abit too much.

You can take out one of the Frigates and take that exact list right now. And the added frigate doesnt really change much to that list. (other than give some mobility)

8 hours ago, stato said:

How are people painting up their Grundstock units?  I see a lot in the same scheme as the rest of the army, but has anyone painted them up like the privateers/hired guns they are portrayed as in the lore?

I have another frigate and 10 thunderers so planning to paint them with a different scheme but same basing.

I was thinking the same, paint them as an independent force from the sky-port's army. But according to GW i guess the Grundstock use the colours of the sky-port when they are hired, for example:

latest?cb=20171122135806

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrungnisBeard said:

Hey all, I am looking to get back into AoS after a long hiatus (haven't played since first edition) and would really like to start a KO army. Would anyone have a solid 1000 point list that really encompasses the KO play style? 

Depends whether you want ships or not. And then, whether you want a semi-effective ship or whether you’re happy to just have one as a transport.

Three 1k lists to think about:

Good ship Ironclad:    2x10 arkanauts (both with 3 skypikes), 3 endrinriggers, 1 ironclad, endrinmaster, 5 thunderers (all rifles). Load up all but thunderers.

Endrinrigger delivery vessel:     2x10 arkanauts (one with 3 skypikes, one with 3 volley guns), 9 endrinriggers, 1 frigate, aether khemist. Send skypikes and riggers up in the frigate with the khemist, buff the riggers.

Grundstok gunline: 2x10 arkanauts (both with 3 skyhooks (or volley guns)), aether khemist, 30 thunderers (configure to taste: would suggest 10xrifles (khemist buffs these when in range), 15 with 3 deckguns, 3 mortars, 3 cannons, and then 5 with rifles and 1 fumigator). Walk up slowly, fire with arkanauts first, then use them to get in the way. Try to ensure your big units of thunderers get to retreat and fire whenever you (inevitably) get tied into combat.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

23 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Depends whether you want ships or not. And then, whether you want a semi-effective ship or whether you’re happy to just have one as a transport.

Three 1k lists to think about:

Good ship Ironclad:    2x10 arkanauts (both with 3 skypikes), 3 endrinriggers, 1 ironclad, endrinmaster, 5 thunderers (all rifles). Load up all but thunderers.

Endrinrigger delivery vessel:     2x10 arkanauts (one with 3 skypikes, one with 3 volley guns), 9 endrinriggers, 1 frigate, aether khemist. Send skypikes and riggers up in the frigate with the khemist, buff the riggers.

Grundstok gunline: 2x10 arkanauts (both with 3 skyhooks (or volley guns)), aether khemist, 30 thunderers (configure to taste: would suggest 10xrifles (khemist buffs these when in range), 15 with 3 deckguns, 3 mortars, 3 cannons, and then 5 with rifles and 1 fumigator). Walk up slowly, fire with arkanauts first, then use them to get in the way. Try to ensure your big units of thunderers get to retreat and fire whenever you (inevitably) get tied into combat.

Thank you these list, really appreciate it. I think I'm leaning towards one of the list with ships. Those are partially what drew me to the faction along with my love for Dwarfs!

2 hours ago, greengiant said:

You can take out one of the Frigates and take that exact list right now. And the added frigate doesnt really change much to that list. (other than give some mobility)

Then, you lose the battalion, the 1-drop and the rules for that battalion's models.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I've said this a few times before, but I think that the best way to fix the KO (after simple points adjustments) is to use the garrison rules for the ships, adjust the stats of the ships (better saves, longer ranged weapons, automatic tireless endrinrigger), give Thunderers better special type  guns, and make the Aether Khemist's buff a flat bonus.  Oh, and let Navigators outflank the ship they're embarked upon, like that Deepkin Navigator type

Oooh, that’s not that much to ask ;) but honestly some of those suggestions on their own could blow KO wide open. 

Just imagine 10 thunderers shooting from a frigate, even without making it tougher, gets charged. Frigate flees, does that mean thunderers can shoot? 😍

On 1/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, stato said:

I intend to paint mine with the same armor as the rest of the army but with different color for fatigues (my arkanauts have blue-gray armor, white fatigues and black belts and gloves, thunderers will have blue-gray armor, black fatigues and white belts and gloves).

• Like 1

Hmmm. Had a strange thought as I was again wondering how to strengthen KO without changing much, and thought simply this:

KO Allegiance ability: Aethric Harmony - +1 to armour saves. Casting mystic shield on a unit nullifies this ability on that unit for its duration.

Across the board. This solves the ships, makes the Arkanauts viable battleline, gives very durable characters, makes me love thunderers, feels very “duardin” and doesn’t synergise well with allied magic, as well as matching the very armoured look of the models, powered by their backpacks. 

I almost think you wouldn’t need to do anything else. Too much? Or too little?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Hmmm. Had a strange thought as I was again wondering how to strengthen KO without changing much, and thought simply this:

KO Allegiance ability: Aethric Harmony - +1 to armour saves. Casting mystic shield on a unit nullifies this ability on that unit for its duration.

Across the board. This solves the ships, makes the Arkanauts viable battleline, gives very durable characters, makes me love thunderers, feels very “duardin” and doesn’t synergise well with allied magic, as well as matching the very armoured look of the models, powered by their backpacks. 

I almost think you wouldn’t need to do anything else. Too much? Or too little?

KO aetherpowered backpacks connected with weapon, not armour. From what i understand it will be better to have rule like "aether-proof armour" with some kind of bonus. 

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 1

Hello fellow commanders!
I was talking with friends about new possibilities that GW can implement with the new wording of CREW and MOUNT seen in the Gloomspite Gitz Warscrolls. I love that because there can be some "buffs" to specific parts of the warscroll (before, it was the rider and the mount).

Two examples that we talked about:

-An Ironclad can "absorb" 1 ranged weapon profile from any Skyfarer model that is embarked in the Ironclad (Garrison). Of course, with some limitations,  but the general concept is to have eazy garrison rules that can be understood and played with any "vehicle" in the game.

-Heroes becoming CREW memebers when they embark could have some interaction with the CREW :Command Abilities, Reload Mines and weapons or even have some diferent type of ammunition (ex.: old flaming atacks, etc...).

What do you think? Do you think that we could see new rules aiming to AoS3.0 (GHB2019) that could really transform our style of gameplay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Hello fellow commanders!
I was talking with friends about new possibilities that GW can implement with the new wording of CREW and MOUNT seen in the Gloomspite Gitz Warscrolls. I love that because there can be some "buffs" to specific parts of the warscroll (before, it was the rider and the mount).

Two examples that we talked about:

-An Ironclad can "absorb" 1 ranged weapon profile from any Skyfarer model that is embarked in the Ironclad (Garrison). Of course, with some limitations,  but the general concept is to have eazy garrison rules that can be understood and played with any "vehicle" in the game.

-Heroes becoming CREW memebers when they embark could have some interaction with the CREW :Command Abilities, Reload Mines and weapons or even have some diferent type of ammunition (ex.: old flaming atacks, etc...).

What do you think? Do you think that we could see new rules aiming to AoS3.0 (GHB2019) that could really transform our style of gameplay?

Why not? I clearly can see logic behind this. An if we speak about logic i think that KO should ignore to hit modifiers like NH ignore save roll modifiers. (arcanaut ability in that case will give reroll 1s against heroes and monsters instead of +1 to hit)

And if we speak about protection... Navigator can create different aetherstorms: 1 - give -2" to run and charge for enemy units; 2 - give friendly units cover; 3 - enemy wizards roll 1 more dice when they cast and substract 1 with highest result. He even can be KO "totem" hero who place his aetherstuff and can't move. 

Aethermancer could be our "priest" type of hero (use on 3+) with aethermancy school. 

Edited by cofaxest
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hi guys, I wanted to start AoS just over a year ago and KO was who I was going to go with. I liked the idea of a small band that plies their trade monster hunting.

The birth of my son put those plans off though until my brother grabbed me some skyriggers and a khemist for Xmas (at the time I’d thought about going Khorne instead because I thought bloodletters would be a bit more forgiving when learning to paint) so I’m going to do a small 1000pt force of the KO. The start collecting box is really good value but I just can’t figure out how to get the models from that and the models I’ve got into a 1000 point list. Only having one battle line unit seems to be really hampering.

Id want a boat in the list, and the riggers my brother bought me, but how would anyone go about putting those into a list utilising the SC box? Would it be a case of selling parts of the SC box maybe?

i really like KO but they’re seeming like they’re maybe not the best army to start with at the minute and I might be better exchanging those gifted models and starting with something else?

16 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Hi guys, I wanted to start AoS just over a year ago and KO was who I was going to go with. I liked the idea of a small band that plies their trade monster hunting.

The birth of my son put those plans off though until my brother grabbed me some skyriggers and a khemist for Xmas (at the time I’d thought about going Khorne instead because I thought bloodletters would be a bit more forgiving when learning to paint) so I’m going to do a small 1000pt force of the KO. The start collecting box is really good value but I just can’t figure out how to get the models from that and the models I’ve got into a 1000 point list. Only having one battle line unit seems to be really hampering.

Id want a boat in the list, and the riggers my brother bought me, but how would anyone go about putting those into a list utilising the SC box? Would it be a case of selling parts of the SC box maybe?

i really like KO but they’re seeming like they’re maybe not the best army to start with at the minute and I might be better exchanging those gifted models and starting with something else?

I think it will be better to try 1500 pts list. 

10 arcanauts (3 skyhooks) - 120

10 arcanauts (3 volleyguns) - 120

Chemist - 160

Endrinmaster - 120

Gunhawler - 160

Frigate - 240

5 grundstock thunderers (5 rifles) - 100

12 riggers/ two squads of 6 riggers/one squad of 6 riggers and two squads of 3 riggers. 

Total - 1500 pts. 

Play as barak-urbaz will give you 1 more use of alchemist ability and 1 more artefact. 

For 2000 pts game take 1 more frigate, 1 squad of arcanaut, take 1 more alchemist instead of gunhawler and iron sky squadron battalion. 

Edited by cofaxest