AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Quick question guys.

Svaregg-Stein Illuminator Flarepistol: The first time the bearer's Pistol hit something, reroll all hit rolls for Kharadron Overlords against that unit for rest of phase.

Can I hold of from shooting, can I choose not to shoot,  with the navigator until I really need it? So I don't trigger it instantly!

1 minute ago, Dejnar said:

Quick question guys.

Svaregg-Stein Illuminator Flarepistol: The first time the bearer's Pistol hit something, reroll all hit rolls for Kharadron Overlords against that unit for rest of phase.

Can I hold of from shooting, can I choose not to shoot,  with the navigator until I really need it? So I don't trigger it instantly!

Sure. You dont have to chose him to shoot if you dont want to. Fighting in melee is mandatory, shooting isnt,

42 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Does he play Ironfist with one or two mawcrushers? Because that's the main theme I saw with the tournament lists on the Honest Wargamer. 
And bringing it back to the need or lack of need for screening units I feel these are good examples you will want some. If you know what you're playing things could be different sure. But as a general tournament list I would def take 2x10 minimum. 
But again what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. 

Yea. Exactly that) something around 24 + 2d6 charge first turn)

On the topic of anti- synergies:

KO have a plethora of fun and unique mechanics that when combined would make for an OP play experience. Rather than deprive the player of these mechanics, the game designers restricted when certain abilities could be used. This ensures that players have more options with how they build and play their armies. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick907 said:

On the topic of anti- synergies:

KO have a plethora of fun and unique mechanics that when combined would make for an OP play experience. Rather than deprive the player of these mechanics, the game designers restricted when certain abilities could be used. This ensures that players have more options with how they build and play their armies. 

I think you and @satyricalsophist have hit the nail on the head here- can you imagine an ironclad with 10 thunderers and a khemist on board, floating around with a -2 to hit bubble in combat (-3 to hit the units inside) that then counts as 22 models on an objective and can teleport? 

WW mentioned it felt like someone added these restrictions at the last minute, and I wonder if this is what happened when the play testers found a broken combo?- to me having that sorted before the book is even out (rather than having to wait for an faq fix) is a good idea. 

It’s a shame every single thunderer ability doesn’t work when embarked, but the -1 to hit abilities and counting towards objectives feel like there’s a reason they shouldn’t work when embarked.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Azamar said:

I think you and @satyricalsophist have hit the nail on the head here- can you imagine an ironclad with 10 thunderers and a khemist on board, floating around with a -2 to hit bubble in combat (-3 to hit the units inside) that then counts as 22 models on an objective and can teleport? 

GW designers should have this in mind at first place when they implementing such rules. That's why our book looks like it was written by 5 different persons... and only one of them actually play AoS. 

27 minutes ago, Azamar said:

WW mentioned it felt like someone added these restrictions at the last minute, and I wonder if this is what happened when the play testers found a broken combo?

GW designers should have this in mind at first place when they implementing such rules. That's why our book looks like it was written by 5 different persons... and only one of them actually play AoS. 

15 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Im suggesting that the anti-synergies or ‘negative rules’ are the means by which we can have rules like fly high and garrison and negatives to hit and bonus attacks while preventing powerful combos from breaking the game. 
By saying that some rules don’t work in a garrison, we have those rules and garrison rules.

We have our cake and eat it.

Unsolicited $0.02 from me, outside the list building choices to navigate, what i appreciate about a lot of the noticed "anti-synergies" for abilities on warscrolls is how it makes playing KO a more complex experience than some other armies I've played (Stormcast and Cities) don't compete with. Which, for me, I appreciate. I like having an army that is a little bit more complex to play on the table. I'm finding that for both me and my opponent they're an army that makes a very complicated board state because it can totally reorient itself anywhere on the table if need be. 

Maybe some armies make combat complex, or have a complex hero phase. KO, today, gives the game an army that breathes life into everyone's decisions regarding their movement phase. And maybe that's something that tickles my fancy. 

• Like 7

So, negativity aside, I think I have a list I am actually happy with:

Barak-Urbaz

Endrinmaster w/Dirigible Suit: General, Phosphorite Bomblets, either Grudgebearer or Endrinprofessor

Aether-Khemist: Spell in a Bottle (Realmscourge Rupture)

Aetheric Navigator

10 Arkanaut Company

6 Endrinriggers: 1 skyhook

6 Endrinriggers: 1 skyhook

10 Thunderers: all rifles

1 Gunhauler: Sky Cannon, Breath of Morgrim

1 Ironclad: Great Sky Cannon, Last Word

Iron Sky Command

Thunderers and characters go in the Ironclad, Arkanaut Company are there to be either part of a turn one screen or to run for objectives and sit on one.  This gives me a three drop army with answers to fast chargers (navigator and spell).  Urbaz is there purely to get Aether-Gold for the endrinriggers, plus the artifact and command trait flexibility.

The general can either be more support focused or a scary little assassin, depending on the trait I choose.  Thunderers are intended to just stay in the boat for almost the entire game, only hopping out if I need to cap an objective. Gunhauler is there to give the Ironclad a wound shrug and to be a speed bump for cabbages or hopefully help zone out teleporting flamers.  Using the Arkanaut Company, endrinriggers and gunhauler as a layered screen along with smart deployment also means I don’t think I lose turn one to changehost.  

If there are points drops in the future that free up 30 points, either warp lightning vortex or a comet go in the bottle instead.

I think KO still take a backseat to Ogors for me, but this is a list I can certainly live with, especially thinking about going “weapons free” with an Ironclad packing 22 aethershot rifle shots on top of the normal guns.

Edited by FatherTurin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

I am hesitating: is it worth having ENDRINMASTER with DIRIGIBLE SUIT ?  I have 2 but I'm thinking about selling one. (I don't want it to take dust on the shelf ...

I don’t think so.  One is definitely almost required in order to have options, but you get diminishing returns on almost all our heroes, especially one that costs 220 points.  Getting another heal could be good, but one endrinmaster plus a unit of riggers (especially with the command ability) does plenty of healing.

It might be worth it in a boat heavy list, but if you are doing that, think about it this way: for 30 more points you can get a Frigate.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I am hesitating: is it worth having ENDRINMASTER with DIRIGIBLE SUIT ?  I have 2 but I'm thinking about selling one. (I don't want it to take dust on the shelf ...

I don;t think so. in addition to what @FatherTurin says, for 20 more points you get Brokk. So even if you don't want another ship or just need a hero extra. Even then there's a good alternative. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I don;t think so. in addition to what @FatherTurin says, for 20 more points you get Brokk. So even if you don't want another ship or just need a hero extra. Even then there's a good alternative. 

Or just get 6 more endrinriggers and save 20 points.  Even without special guns you are getting double the saw attacks, 18 rivet gun shots, 12 wounds, and they average the same healing as the endrinmaster, more with the command ability.

I’m not going to go on regarding the stuff that is a better points investment (in my opinion) than a second endrinmaster, but suffice it to say, it’s a lot.  

It also appears that Aether War is sold out on the GW site, so chances are you can get a handsome price for the Endrinmaster.  At a minimum enough to buy a unit of something.

• Like 1

To be honest, I think that only hero I want to have more than 1 is khemist. He's made to keep your ground force safe, with nice range attack, good buff, and - 1 to hit aura. Maybe he doesn't give you additional attack anymore, but he still got his use and he's pretty good at it. 

I was thinking of taking khemist + thundrik + some thunderers for elite infantry with - 2 to hit aura and rerolling 1's to hit and to wound. I think such combo might be brutal and saves you some gold. 

• Like 1

My opinion on the viability of a second ballondrinmaster is that if you already have say two boats and 2 - 6 man units of riggers/ wardens then each boat/ unit of loons has its own loondrinmaster to deepstrike around with. Maximizes our 7 man Hitcher teams and is a good mobile threat platform. 

Not saying an extra unit of riggers wouldn’t be “better” but if that unit of riggers doesn’t have a ride it might not be “better” anymore. 

Also after my few games with the new book I don’t see myself not putting tough as old boots on my loondrinmaster general (when possible) 

5 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

To be honest, I think that only hero I want to have more than 1 is khemist. He's made to keep your ground force safe, with nice range attack, good buff, and - 1 to hit aura. Maybe he doesn't give you additional attack anymore, but he still got his use and he's pretty good at it. 

I was thinking of taking khemist + thundrik + some thunderers for elite infantry with - 2 to hit aura and rerolling 1's to hit and to wound. I think such combo might be brutal and saves you some gold. 

I was just thinking this, this morning. I've been playing a lot of Barak-Urbaz, but I'm curious of lists like Barak-Thyrng and Barak-Zon that kind of encourage more melee/combat from your armies, which seems like having a khemist in support is ideal for such load outs 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cauthon said:

My opinion on the viability of a second ballondrinmaster is that if you already have say two boats and 2 - 6 man units of riggers/ wardens then each boat/ unit of loons has its own loondrinmaster to deepstrike around with. Maximizes our 7 man Hitcher teams and is a good mobile threat platform. 

That was my first strategy: being able to have everything on boats and being able to hit with eventually 2 death stars (one big - ironclad - one minor - gunhauler-). 

Initial skeleton of the list was:

Endrigmaster balloon general

Endrigmaster balloon

6 * 3  balloon guys

2 * Gunhauler

Ironclad => 1850pts (probably 5 thunderers in the ironclad for the last 150pts)

PS: everything can be skyhooked/garnisoned. So, I can go full army everywhere on the map.

Edited by GeneralZero

18 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

100% contrast over leadbelcher spray. Gore grunta fur for the bronze

Oh damn those look good. So you had leadbelcher primer spray? Didnt know that was a thing >.<

17 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

30 mins of work MAX. Love contrast over leadbelcher 

I primed all my KO grey seer contrast, so im glad you can go over that with leadblecher and some contrast and still get that effect on the metallic. 

thanks to both of you,. they look great!

I will be trying out contrasts over metallics later,  but I did some baloons with some Vallejo metallic in the meantime. Contrasts for the boots and leathers. 

20200118_205325.jpg

20200118_205342.jpg

Edited by Ser_namron
Pics
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Is anyone putting Skypikes on ArCo anymore? Feel like I’d rather have the pew-pew nowadays. 

I think Pikes are pretty useful. They get +1 to hit around an objective or with that one CA, they have some rend and D3 damage. You only lose one 9" pistole, so I think its a straight upgrade. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marke said:

How Thunderers should be built? Fulmigator and then what? Planning to run 5 first, expand to 10 later.

Bear in mind, this is my gut feeling with literally no math to back it up, so take that for what it’s worth.

If you are putting them in a boat, all rifles, maybe a single fumigator as insurance if you do have to unload them.

If they are going on their own, 1 fumigator, 1 deck sweeper and as many mortars and cannons as you can fit in the squad.