AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

49 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Thanks for the pointers regarding Sequitors. Glad to hear I'm not wasting my time... although with the new book so close, who knows! Ha ha! I hope not though as I really like the cut of their jib. In fact, all the Sacrosanct units look pretty sweet. I do like tournies but I'm never bothered about winning. I'm happy if I get the one win and just like the vibe of being involved. 

I haven't been as big a fan of the Sacrosanct robes compared to the Thunderstrike armor. I really dig the more flexible looking models (especially the Vindictors). Even the new Vigilors with their robes don't do it as much for me, although I love the Bow/Sword combo. 

Anyway these guys are right. Theory-crafting and meta-building is fun, but the true spirit of the hobby lies in creating an army that you're proud of regardless if the pride comes from having a meta-perfect army or a bunch of cool conversions you made yourself.

Edited by Champasaur
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Looking forward to the new book a lot, so any game data right now is probably close to useless, although I'd assume the dominion model warscrolls will be pretty much the same. I played around with them in 2000 pts games and Yndrasta really was a big winner, her damage is not good, but fits her point cost and she has the staying power that the Celestant Prime has been lacking all this time.

Praetors are fun too, they are great for especially Yndrasta, attacking her becomes a bother as she is then only damaged on a 1-2 and she then shrugs damage on a 4+, 3-4 actually hits the praetors and 5-6 is just ignored! that divides damage output so much that she is about pointless to attack if Praetors are near and if you do not kill them all, she can rez 1 of them each round. 

Annihilators are a bit odd, I will withhold judgement until I see what their great hammers do, as that might give the unit some more punch, although I wonder if they are just going to be better Retributors at that point. They are currently rather tanky and can hold the line well with all out defense. They are a real problem to throw into somebodys flank or lighlty guarded objective as they both hurt a lot when they charge in, and are hard to remove. 

I still think Stormcast will have some trouble with the points increases and low model count, if they do not get any bonuses to objective scoring. Even with better damage and all the armor in the world, they could easily end up getting behind in points most games, as they need to chop through too many units to even be able to score. It doesnt matter if you survive and table your opponent by round 4 if you are too far behind in points.

Just so ya know while the jury is still out until GW gives a ruling, a lot of us think the praetor roll meets all the criteria for being a ward - and since you only get one ward per wound inflicted that would mean it cannot be used alongside Yndrasta's save.

Given how frustrating stacked damage cancellation is I would expect this to be changed eventually anyway even if the original intent was to allow them to stack.

To chime in here, I too usually use liberators as battleline filler, but I outright despise the models even after giving them cloaks, and cannot bear the thought of buying more. So I only run 2x5 and use the third slot for something I don’t hate, currently 10 Vindictors.

When the tome drops I’ll probably switch to 3x5 vindictors, or maybe 2 and 5 vanquishers.* I know it’s not the most points efficient but I am happy to pay that cost not to play liberators and use sweet Thunderstrike sculpts instead.

So there are limits even to the most competitive of list writing I think.

*Unless of course sin guy has had his way with Vigilors in which case I am all in

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

To chime in here, I too usually use liberators as battleline filler, but I outright despise the models even after giving them cloaks, and cannot bear the thought of buying more. So I only run 2x5 and use the third slot for something I don’t hate, currently 10 Vindictors.

When the tome drops I’ll probably switch to 3x5 vindictors, or maybe 2 and 5 vanquishers.* I know it’s not the most points efficient but I am happy to pay that cost not to play liberators and use sweet Thunderstrike sculpts instead.

So there are limits even to the most competitive of list writing I think.

*Unless of course sin guy has had his way with Vigilors in which case I am all in

I am not a fan of liberator design too, that's the main reason i play lots of sequitors.

The robes and the contrast it offers with the shiny armor and leater is perfect to me (and since i'm mostly playing in a very chill environment there's no need for competition aor optimization).

2 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

You just made me do a double take and go grab the warscroll cards to confirm... I've been calling them Vindicators this whole time!

Dont you worry, GW called them Vindicators themselves in the Warscroll Builder. 

They fixed it already, or maybe it was some kind of insider joke. 

• Haha 1

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/29/the-stormcast-eternals-become-the-ultimate-defenders-of-the-mortal-realms-in-their-best-battletome-yet/

I really like Shield of Civilization. I weep a bit for Staunch Defender but am a bit excited by its interaction with Shield of Civilization. I like the "angry dragons" rule for getting tougher as it destroys.

As a teaser, its just Stormkeep info if I'm not mistaken?

I hope some of these carry over to the classic Scions of the Storm army. Especially:

"Stormkeep armies may also call upon the aid of Krondys, Son of Dracothian, or his moodier brother, Karazai the Scarred."

Emphasis my own. I hope it's not Stormkeep only. That'd be odd.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1

Stormkeep armies couldn’t take SCE behemoths iirc so that disclaimer is to highlight that you can of course play the big stompy expensive monster.

anyway

Why yes my 5 Liberators do count as 15 models and reduce all rend by 1, also here’s some Mortal Wounds, why do you ask?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Not to beat a dead horse, but if Vanquishers have REDEEMER they could have a niche of being a high damage unit that can push objectives well.

Did anyone else notice that the 6 paladins in the back have 3 glaives, a starsoul mace, and two axes?

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

InfantryCast (BattelelineCast rather) in general, I love this already

I am feeling a core of MSU redeemer units (at least 5) with Yndrastra for the regen. Kind of novel. Much more like SCE in the books.

Ofc, Scions rules may be fun too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but if Vanquishers have REDEEMER they could have a niche of being a high damage unit that can push objectives well.

Did anyone else notice that the 5 paladins in the back have 3 glaives, a starsoul mace, and an axe?

It's odd, looks like there's 4 protectors (well starsoul mace means you gotta check the helm if you're being ultra wysiwyg and those are hard to see) and 2 Decimators.

I'm guessing some pic cropping/setup mistake.

4 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Worth pointing out that only 3 battleplans have objectives in home territory, the other 9 are all no mans land. So you have to keep that redeemer unit alive for 3 turns to get any value of out Shield.

But still, it’s something to do in Tooth and Nail

I count more (9?), objective partially in your territory are also covered. It's also your territory, not just the deployment, and my interpretation of "partially" is that objectives on the line count as partially within

Edited by Marcvs

I've a question - do we still have a unit with reroll 1s with sigmarite shields (RAW, I doubt RAI)?

FAQ:

Page 173, 177, 178, 179, 181 – Sigmarite Shield
Change the rule to:
‘Worsen the Rend characteristic of weapons that target this unit by 1,
to a minimum of ‘-’.’

https://wahapedia.ru/aos/factions/stormcast-eternals/Steelheart-s-Champions

I've checked my physical tome and they are page 161.

Steelheart's Champions are Redeemer too...

Maybe I'm missing something in the FAQs

Steelheart Champions meta.

It's hardly that much of an impact in game :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

I count more (9?), objective partially in your territory are also covered. It's also your territory, not just the deployment, and my interpretation of "partially" is that objectives on the line count as partially within

Big book faq (now removed) was objectives on the border don’t count as within your territory.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Big book faq (now removed) was objectives on the border don’t count as within your territory.

I think however it shakes out there's potential. I am curious about "partially" in the wording then. Potential FAQ material?