AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

42 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

Yeah, that’s one reason why I suspect anyone viewing this as a tier 1 army is way overestimating it’s potential, unless my understanding of AoS, and any past ability to assess builds, has gone out the window.

But a chance to play an SCE Chamber in 2K? Living the dream. :)

But playing it will give you a massive psychological advantage for being the most badass player at the table. That’s at least tier 2 badassery

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

11 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Do you think guys i have to choose a stormhost for a competitive list?

Yes, if you wanto to play with longstrikes : Anvils of the Heldenhammer.
That's the most effective, because of the Anvils Command Ability.

Edited by Maturin
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

Yeah, that’s one reason why I suspect anyone viewing this as a tier 1 army is way overestimating it’s potential, unless my understanding of AoS, and any past ability to assess builds, has gone out the window.

But a chance to play an SCE Chamber in 2K? Living the dream. :)

IDK. My very competetive friends says its very strong roster. The sheer amount of shooting make it strong. We counted and this roster can basiclly kill everything in one turn.

Also i today tested your roster about seraphons (90 skins, 3 and 2 salamaders, 4 skins hero, slann and astrolith bearer). I get slamed hard due how insane salamander are. But i liked it! The only things that doesnt work are castigators... maybe if they could use their -2 rend in hero phase... but they cant, i will try to replace them.

31 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

IDK. My very competetive friends says its very strong roster. The sheer amount of shooting make it strong. We counted and this roster can basiclly kill everything in one turn.

Also i today tested your roster about seraphons (90 skins, 3 and 2 salamaders, 4 skins hero, slann and astrolith bearer). I get slamed hard due how insane salamander are. But i liked it! The only things that doesnt work are castigators... maybe if they could use their -2 rend in hero phase... but they cant, i will try to replace them.

Appreciate the update, @Nizrah!

Re: Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber...yeah I might be underrating it...we'll see. Just thinking about mobile + high-wound-count armies, mobile + high wound count + hard hitting, mobile + hard hitting, and/or mobile + hard hitting + shooting mitigation. 

That's a tough Seraphon list! Supposedly Sallies are going up 30, if the #'s going around are to be believed. 

Yeah, the Castigators were the one "I hope this works, but it probably doesn't" part of that list. :(

Glad to hear you liked it, though! That 2019 version was an absolute blast to play, with some competitive teeth.

Edited by scrubyandwells

9 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

That's a tough Seraphon list! Supposedly Sallies are going up 30, if the #'s going around are to be believed. 

Yeah, the Castigators were the one "I hope this works, but it probably doesn't" part of that list. :(

Glad to hear you liked the list, though, in general! That 2019 version was an absolute blast to play, with surprising competitive teeth.

Yea we already were playing like they were for 30. Thats why he have 5 not 6 sallies and slann not lord kroak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nizrah said:

The only things that doesnt work are castigators... maybe if they could use their -2 rend in hero phase... but they cant, i will try to replace them.

Any thoughts on how to reallocate the 210 pts? Maybe just commit to the 1x9 Longstrikes and add another 1x3 Birds?

2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Any thoughts on how to reallocate the 210 pts? Maybe just commit to the 1x9 Longstrikes and add another 1x3 Birds?

Seems like the best option is to increase the number of bodies in the units you've already got, yes. That is if you want to keep a one drop army list.

58 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Seems like the best option is to increase the number of bodies in the units you've already got, yes. That is if you want to keep a one drop army list.

Was referring to this mate...it ain't playing the drop game. :)

Celestant Prime (300)
Relictor (100)
Azyros (100)
Incantor (120)
5 Liberators (90)
5 Liberators (90)
5 Liberators (90)
10 Sequitors (240)
10 Sequitors (240)
9 Castigators (210) --> replace with?
6 Longstrikes (340)
3 Aetherwings (40)
3 Aetherwings (40)
2000 | Anvils | 135W

Edited by scrubyandwells

57 minutes ago, Maturin said:

REmove the Incantor, take an exorcist, Healing swarm and 3 more longstrikes ?

I like the Exorcist's price but think at least one auto-unbind is critical in the meta we're in, and would like to have two ideally. Lifeswarm is more interesting, now that we're going to have a 50/50 chance to pick the realm we're playing in. Tend to agree on 3 more Longstrikes...1x9 is still quite good. Appreciate the thoughts!

Edited by scrubyandwells

1 hour ago, scrubyandwells said:

Was referring to this mate...it ain't playing the drop game. :)

Celestant Prime (300)
Relictor (100)
Azyros (100)
Incantor (120)
5 Liberators (90)
5 Liberators (90)
5 Liberators (90)
10 Sequitors (240)
10 Sequitors (240)
9 Castigators (210) --> replace with?
6 Longstrikes (340)
3 Aetherwings (40)
3 Aetherwings (40)
2000 | Anvils | 135W

Evocators on foot seems like the most potent fit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juicy said:

Yes just not in the hero face.

6 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Phase ;)

Don't know why, but at first not knowing what you were talking about @schwabbele, made the words "Is this some kind of sick joke" mixed with "that I don't understand" (from Ugly's kid joe song : "Are you the guys on the beach that hate everything? Eww! Is this some sort of hip music that I don't understand?") pop up in my mind, and now, I'll be listening to Ugly Kid Joe all day :D

• Like 1

After the Seraphon rework, I am leaning towards using celestar ballistas instead of longstrike crossbows for SCE firepower.

Combination of Anvils of Heldenhammer command abilities with longstrike crossbows is indeed powerful no doubt. To maximise its firepower however longstrikes need to sacrifice their 30" range, as command ability is used before the longshot ability come to effect. Longstrikes crossbow vanguard-raptors are also extremely fragile for their points, making them an easy prey to enemy shooting and magic.  Tzeentch, Seraphon, Ossiarchs, Cities of Sigmar, Lumineth Realm-lords, Orruks with kunnin ruk arrer boyz, and other factions and their units can actually win the shooting/magic war against vanguard raptors. This is why I start to think Celestar Ballistas maybe more effective in the future games.

Yes, generating the number of attacks based on d6 is random. However the ballistas have significantly longer range, and are more durable in terms of save and wounds per point compared to vanguard raptors. They do not have to cower in fear of getting shot by bastiladons, steagadons, ossiarch catapults, arrer boyz or Lumineth archers unlike vanguard raptors. Another advantage of the ballistas is that their effectiveness do not diminish against coalesced Seraphon, against which vanguard raptors are even more powerless. Pity that ballistas did not have their points reverted to pre-2019 handbook version. I never thought the points increase was justifiable from the first place.

Edited by Sagittarii Orientalis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

Yes, generating the number of attacks based on d6 is random. However the ballistas have significantly longer range, and are more durable in terms of save and wounds per point compared to vanguard raptors. They do not have to cower in fear of getting shot by bastiladons, steagadons, ossiarch catapults, arrer boyz or Lumineth archers unlike vanguard raptors. Another advantage of the ballistas is that their effectiveness do not diminish against coalesced Seraphon, against which vanguard raptors are even more powerless. 

They do get +2 to save if in cover but otherwise, they've got a shorter range if you want use their maximum output, which you should.

1 minute ago, Maturin said:

They do get +2 to save if in cover but otherwise, they've got a shorter range if you want use their maximum output, which you should.

While they cannot achieve maximum firepower, the option to shoot at respectable 36" range is very useful. Vanguard raptors cannot, and they are more likely to die before getting into the range where their firepower is maximised. And I can expect Celestar Ballistas to wither enemy shooting more comfortably than raptors.

10 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

I am leaning towards using celestar ballistas instead of longstrike crossbows for SCE firepower

In celebration of the throttling of Endless Spells and aftersaves, I was thinking of using both in quantity, with Liberators and masses of birds to claim objectives and gum up the board, but someone told me it was unfriendly. 🙂

• LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Roark said:

In celebration of the throttling of Endless Spells and aftersaves, I was thinking of using both in quantity, with Liberators and masses of birds to claim objectives and gum up the board, but someone told me it was unfriendly. 🙂

My adage nowadays is that it is nearly impossible to write "unfriendly" SCE lists with rise of latest battletomes. ;) 

• Like 4

Question,

When using the "Bless weapons" prayer. On unmodified 6 to hit, another hit is generated. it doesn't say if the chain stops if the resulting dice is 6.
So does it stop ? I think I saw something somewhere about that but can't recall.

24 minutes ago, Maturin said:

When using the "Bless weapons" prayer. On unmodified 6 to hit, another hit is generated. it doesn't say if the chain stops if the resulting dice is 6.
So does it stop ? I think I saw something somewhere about that but can't recall.

The additional generated hit already hits the target. You move straight onto To Wound rolls after that. There's no chance of generating additional hits again.

17 minutes ago, Roark said:

The additional generated hit already hits the target. You move straight onto To Wound rolls after that. There's no chance of generating additional hits again.

Oh, so I don't even need to roll to hit with the exploding dice. Ok, I'll have to do some calculations then.
Cheers Roark.

27 minutes ago, Roark said:

What about the judicators skybolt bows ? If I roll a 3, then it'******, I don't need to reroll those dices to see if I hit, right ? meaning that the Skybol bow's D6 can never be a 1 or a 2 since the to hit range is 3+.