AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Sad to see that 1) only 1 in 4 units in CoS can be SCE and 2) those units don't get the specific city keyword.  Had hopes around my Tempest Lords in Tempest's Eye but it is not to be, especially since Freeguild Archers were dropped (not in the book) so 48 of my human models are now out of play (again, since they were originally Brets).

Made some small tweaks to my list but I think this right where I want it.  At least on paper seems pretty killy.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Hammer of Might
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (120)
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (260)
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
- 1x Stormsmite Greatmaces

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect
5 x Evocators (220)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (220)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

So maybe I am crazy, but I am going to try out this combo with my Lord-Arcanum.  Being Celestial Vindicators I must take the command trait Single-minded Fury, which upon rolling an unmodified 6 to hit adds 1 to the damage of the attack.  I believe I can give the Stormrage Blade to another character and be free to choose another artifact (due to Cleansing Phalanx) for my general as long as someone in the army has the Stormrage Blade.  The Hammer of Might artifact, upon rolling an unmodified 6 to wound, doubles the damage characteristic of the attack.  And the weapon profile for a Lord-Arcanum is damage d3.  So while this gimmick is entirely dependent on rolling unmodified 6s, the potential for awesome damage is there, and seems worth the chance.  Granted none of this would matter if my Lord-Arcanum whiffs their attacks, but I like the potential.  This could also work similarly with the Blade of Endings from Shyish; the advantage with this artifact being that it takes effect on a 6+, and so could be used in conjunction with the Celestial Blades spell.
What do you all think?
Edited by DJMoose

So went to a 28 player event this weekend and went 4-1 (silly mistake cost me the last game) with 9340 KPs with this list:

LEADERS
Lord-Aquilor (180) - General - Command Trait : Deathly Aura  - Mount Trait : Wind Runner
Lord-Relictor (100) - Prayer : Translocation
Knight-Azyros (100) - Artefact :  Soulthief  
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Skink Starseer (160) - Allies
UNITS
5 x Liberators (100) - Warblade & Shield - 1 x  Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100) - Warblade & Shield - 1 x  Grandblades
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (110) - Boltstorm Pistols and Storm Sabres
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
10 x Evocators (440) - 5 x  Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

All I can say is this list isn't one to take if you're after sports votes! Highlights included:

Killing fully buffed Archaon in the first turn

Tabling a 21 eel list

Two Mawchrushas in two turns

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Single-minded Fury
- Artefact : Stormrage Blade
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait : Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

UNITS
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- 3 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

I'm considering running this list for a tournament in two weeks. Basic gameplan is to soup up the Dracolines to kingdom come so that they run and charge, +1 attack, hit on 2s re-roll 1s, wound on 2s with a reroll, +1 save and reroll saves. Making them basically cats of destruction. At the same time 4 Ballistae will mulch up screens, monsters or other elite units. I will probably lose to Slaanesh and any army that can alpha strike me round 1 before I get my defenses up. At least those are the ones that I know that I will lose to. I'm aiming for 3-2. Thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marzillius said:

LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Single-minded Fury
- Artefact : Stormrage Blade
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait : Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

UNITS
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- 3 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

I'm considering running this list for a tournament in two weeks. Basic gameplan is to soup up the Dracolines to kingdom come so that they run and charge, +1 attack, hit on 2s re-roll 1s, wound on 2s with a reroll, +1 save and reroll saves. Making them basically cats of destruction. At the same time 4 Ballistae will mulch up screens, monsters or other elite units. I will probably lose to Slaanesh and any army that can alpha strike me round 1 before I get my defenses up. At least those are the ones that I know that I will lose to. I'm aiming for 3-2. Thoughts or suggestions?

This and Gav are our best 3-2 armies. The only things that might give you problems are Total Commitment or some weird realm rules that turn off rend or reduce range. 

2 hours ago, jhamslam said:

This and Gav are our best 3-2 armies. The only things that might give you problems are Total Commitment or some weird realm rules that turn off rend or reduce range. 

I often heard about the legendary "Gav / Sureheart shenanigan list" but what is it exactly? Is it useable in the current state of SCE? What is the stormhost you take with it? 

2 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

I often heard about the legendary "Gav / Sureheart shenanigan list" but what is it exactly? Is it useable in the current state of SCE? What is the stormhost you take with it? 

It is, but not as good as it used to be.

Basically its your 3 liberator battleline in Hammers of SIgmar (you HAVE to be Hammers for Gavriel Sureheart).

10 - 15 evocators usually in two units in 10 and 5.

Gavriel Sureheart deeptrikes in with the evocators. His Command Ability gives you +3 to charge so you only need to roll a 6 after deepstriking 9 inches away

Knight Vexillor, Relictor, Incantor and Azyros for teleports, prayers and unbinds

Cogsmith + 2-3 Helstorm rocket battery for chaff clearance (only weakness of gav)

1 hour ago, jhamslam said:

It is, but not as good as it used to be.

Basically its your 3 liberator battleline in Hammers of SIgmar (you HAVE to be Hammers for Gavriel Sureheart).

10 - 15 evocators usually in two units in 10 and 5.

Gavriel Sureheart deeptrikes in with the evocators. His Command Ability gives you +3 to charge so you only need to roll a 6 after deepstriking 9 inches away

Knight Vexillor, Relictor, Incantor and Azyros for teleports, prayers and unbinds

Cogsmith + 2-3 Helstorm rocket battery for chaff clearance (only weakness of gav)

That's a version, but you missed a few things:

1. Gav's Command Ability stacks, so for every CP you spend you get another 3". That means if you drop down and burn 2 CP you get +6" on your charge, making it all but guaranteed.
  2. Taking a 20-brick of Sequitors and charging them in can create an instant tarpit anywhere on the table that isn't even bad at hitting things. Removing 40 4+ rerolling saves wounds suddenly showing up in your backfield is not something that all armies can deal with. 
  3. Using the Vexillor lets you start a unit on the table, buff it up with things like Castellant and spells, and then teleport it 9" away from enemies, drop Gav behind them for a buffed up, guaranteed charge. 
  4. If you take the Arcanum on Gryph Charger to make them Battleline, he can also Ride the Winds up behind to provide further support. 

Gav with Evos is a solid damage threat, but Gav with Sequitors and Evos means that the focus of the battle is basically wherever you feel it should be. Unfortunately, pretty much all those models went up in points (rightfully so) in the last GHB, so it's a hard list to run effectively. But, it still instagibs lots of armies in the game.

5 minutes ago, Requizen said:

That's a version, but you missed a few things:

1. Gav's Command Ability stacks, so for every CP you spend you get another 3". That means if you drop down and burn 2 CP you get +6" on your charge, making it all but guaranteed.
  2. Taking a 20-brick of Sequitors and charging them in can create an instant tarpit anywhere on the table that isn't even bad at hitting things. Removing 40 4+ rerolling saves wounds suddenly showing up in your backfield is not something that all armies can deal with. 
  3. Using the Vexillor lets you start a unit on the table, buff it up with things like Castellant and spells, and then teleport it 9" away from enemies, drop Gav behind them for a buffed up, guaranteed charge. 
  4. If you take the Arcanum on Gryph Charger to make them Battleline, he can also Ride the Winds up behind to provide further support. 

Gav with Evos is a solid damage threat, but Gav with Sequitors and Evos means that the focus of the battle is basically wherever you feel it should be. Unfortunately, pretty much all those models went up in points (rightfully so) in the last GHB, so it's a hard list to run effectively. But, it still instagibs lots of armies in the game.

The Gav im talking about is Sam Lovings list. He still uses the bomb to good effect, places in top 16 with it. He's had to drop sequitors for artillery with cogsmith/ engineer backup. Sequitors going up was reaaaally bad. Things fighting first before they get to charge their shields up also nerfs them quite hard.

Gav insta loses to chaff. 20 sequitors will never backfield deepstrike, if your opponent can just congo line some ghouls or clanrats and block the area off. Artillery makes the opponent come to you or clears the chaff more or less.

I reaaaaaally hope the CA for Hammers changes in the next book. It sucks. It makes you invest in a full block of sequitors /liberators but only happens on a 5+. So . you either get nothing and lose or its this totally broken thing where you have 440 points worth of sequitors again and now your opponents done for.

Edited by jhamslam

1 minute ago, jhamslam said:

reaaaaaally hope the CA for Hammers changes in the next book. It sucks. It makes you invest in a full block of sequitors /liberators but only happens on a 5+. So . you either get nothing and lose or its this totally broken thing where you have 440 points worth of sequitors again and now your opponents done for.

Agreed,  to have to spend a CP for such a low chance of anything happening,...

32 minutes ago, chord said:

Agreed,  to have to spend a CP for such a low chance of anything happening,...

It would be interesting if they flipped the order.

"When a friendly Hammers of Sigmar Redeemer unit is destroyed, roll a dice. On a 5+, you may use the following Command Ability: ..."  

That way it's still random, but you're not burning points for nothing. Or, to keep the risk but make it less punishing:

"You can use this command ability when a friendly Hammers of Sigmar Redeemer unit is destroyed. Roll a dice, on a 1-2, nothing happens. On a 3-4, you receive 1 Command Point. On a 5-6, set the unit back up..."

I understand it's a powerful enough ability to warrant the risk of losing a CP, but it makes it way to swingy and feels bad one way or the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

It would be interesting if they flipped the order.

"When a friendly Hammers of Sigmar Redeemer unit is destroyed, roll a dice. On a 5+, you may use the following Command Ability: ..."  

That way it's still random, but you're not burning points for nothing. Or, to keep the risk but make it less punishing:

"You can use this command ability when a friendly Hammers of Sigmar Redeemer unit is destroyed. Roll a dice, on a 1-2, nothing happens. On a 3-4, you receive 1 Command Point. On a 5-6, set the unit back up..."

I understand it's a powerful enough ability to warrant the risk of losing a CP, but it makes it way to swingy and feels bad one way or the other.

Id be ok with this. Except change it to. On a 1 - nothing happens. On a 2-3 you get your command point back  OR  Replenish upto 5 models in a Friendly Hammers of Sigmar Redeemer Unit. On a 4-5, set up half the strength of the Hammers of Sigmar Redeemer unit which was just destroyed (rounding up). On a 6 , the whole unit comes back.

This is the Gavriel list that I've been running with for the past 6 months or so. I do intend to add a lord arcanum and sequitors at some point, one day, but this list has been doing fine, so I'm not in a hurry to change it.

I've gone 3/5 at tournaments with variations of this list  more or less for over a year now. I feel that I could do better with better play but certain armies are just extremely difficult to get past, and there's not much I can do about those unfortunately.

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
10 x Evocators (440)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Endless Spells / Terrain
Celestian Vortex (40)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schwabbele said:

Ain‘t nobody got time for sports score when you are occupied killing stuff 😉 

Cost me first place after sports votes (4th instead) but didn't mind, as it was practice for Bloodshed at the end of October.

Would've came 2nd if I won that last game too!!!

2 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

@TomParry84 Well that sucks, but at least you got your practice :) - Not gonna kick of a sports discussion now, but people who do this should just no play in a competitive environment , it is like complaining that you bring a F1 car to a F1 race...

Well I knew there was a chance of that happening so can't complain! End of the day if you don't like the pack don't go!

1 hour ago, schwabbele said:

@TomParry84 I noticed the Skink Starseer and the lack of Incantors.

Is the CP generation as cool as I think it is in the anvil list? And did you face any issues without the auto unbinds from the Incantor?

Yes it is and the spell is really handy too.

I didn't notice the lack of auto unbinds I have to admit!

• Like 1

Warscrolls i'm not sure, but there are several abilities and artefacts, like the warlord and adjutant shenanigans (4+ at the beginning of herophase if close) or hammerhal trait (6+ for every banner in units of the army at the beginning of the turn).