AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Lost first game of GHB19 today.  Better part of valour vs Ironjawz. Poor positioning on my part complicated by awkward terrain in my deployment zone,  Just couldn’t keep them away with all their movement shenanigans, the teleport especially.

In-built +2 to charges on 20 Ardboyz that can teleport 9” away (with +1 to cast) and move d6” in the hero phase is pretty rough to deal with. Not salty, but makes SCE teleports and Scions look pretty lacklustre.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Yea i can agree on the lackluster on our teleport spell.  Id im corrwcr, Hand of Gork can teleport any unit that is within 24" where our teleport requires a unit wholly qithin 6"...

Yeah we also have to buy a hero that isn’t a caster to do that.

• Like 1

Hello all!
I'm looking to start a Desolator list and I'm looking for some feedback on it.

I'm rather new to AoS, so any other general list building advice would also be great.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)

Units
6 x Desolators (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

6 hours ago, Jaidean said:

Hello all!
I'm looking to start a Desolator list and I'm looking for some feedback on it.

I'm rather new to AoS, so any other general list building advice would also be great.

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)

Units
6 x Desolators (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Wounds: 113

I just realised, this list and many other Desolator lists were cheaper in ghb18. As much as I like this list, I think only having 1 cast/dispell/unbind is way too few. There is a mortal wound tax every round coming in from endless spells. I don't think I'd be playing Stormcast without a Incantor/Spellweaver duo this season, which gives you two auto-dispell for 240p.

Edited by JaffaBones
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, JaffaBones said:

I just realised, this list and many other Desolator lists were cheaper in ghb18. As much as I like this list, I think only having 1 cast/dispell/unbind is way too few. There is a mortal wound tax every round coming in from endless spells. I don't think I'd be playing Stormcast without a Incantor/Spellweaver duo this season, which gives you two auto-dispell for 240p.

So, would something like getting rid of the Sequitors and the Lord-Arcanum, and getting two Knight-Incantors and Liberators be more competitive? 

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Desolators (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Wounds: 117

I dont think you need to get rid of the Arcanum list. Sequitors are just waaaay better then Liberators. Just swap the Heraldor for an Incantor. But to be fair I am not a great fan of a list where you have almost a third of your points in just one unit. Seems to be kinda risky and if you lose them you will be in a lot of trouble while a list with two big units of Sequitors and two units of Evocators do not collapse when one of the unis gets wiped out. 

1 hour ago, Jaidean said:

So, would something like getting rid of the Sequitors and the Lord-Arcanum, and getting two Knight-Incantors and Liberators be more competitive? 

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Desolators (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Wounds: 117

Please understand what I say only as suggestions. You can keep the Arcanum and Sequitor but then make room for a Spellweaver instead of Incantor. That'll give you one auto-dispell for 100p but nothing else, the Incantor can punch better, has flasks and does not die that easy. Yet you'll be able to field Sequitor instead of Liberator. I'm a fan of Liberator though, I had many games in which the Sequitor did nothing but screening and holding points, because we lack bodies. Liberator do that job just as good, but cheaper. Depends on how you plan on using them and how you plan on holding points. If you have 30p left, and have an Incantor, then maybe a Dais can suit you. That Fly helps allot to max out / pinpoint the flask dmg.

I used to like to ally an Archmage before the endless spell meta. Also 100p, 14" movement and +1 on unbind attempts with a nice Warscroll spell (6+ FNP in 36" bubble), maybe worth a look for you.

• Like 1

I still think the key to using Sequitors is to combine them with Evocators and Empower them. Also has the bonus that two units of Evocators give you two more unbinds making it 3 including your General Lord Arcanum. 

Not sure where the advantage of the Spellweaver would be in that scenario, I would rather go for another hero then. 

10 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Next vs debate: Translocation - Relictor or Veritant?

veritant: better stats, additional dispel, pet gryph hound (synergies with shooting, zoning, objective sneaking)

relictor: cheaper, heal prayer, debuff prayer 

I can only say, I've used both in my desolator build list that I'm playing, and really like the Veritant.  The extra dispel is super useful, and I always find somthing good to do with an extra hound.

And everytime shes super punchy, I toss the veritant into small units and it gets work done. (I do want to say I use bless weapons currently, but it feels so good on my 6 pack of desolators I don't think I can get enough use outta translaction to trade it)

Edited by GlanceOnASix

I use the Relictor most of the times but mostly because the 100 P. better fit the rest of my list + I use 2 units of Evocators so that I dont really need the extra dispel. But I am open to try the Veritant, what GlaceOnASix wrote sounds convincing. 

Been playing nothing but Death since AoS dropped but just took the plunge and ordered some SCE. Would just like to say thanks to you all here. Been hovering, reading your comments and it really helped me better understand the army and build a starting 1k list. Cheers 👍

• Like 7

What would a Gav-bomb nowadays look like if I want to use 4 Fulminators and possibly Vandus as the bomb?

Can't seem to find (m)any example lists. Anyone who can share some or point in the right direction?

This is what I currently cooked up myself:

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Leaders
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
- Spell: Speed of Lightning

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)

Units
4 x Fulminators (480)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 92

Edited by Martijn de Bruin
Added list

The core is Gavriel and whatever you want to charge with.  You might also want a Vexillor for the free charge re-rolls, and because you could teleport something that didn't deepstrike into Gav's bubble.

That's a module by itself, and nothing else really contributes to the Gav-bomb portion of the list.

You probably want a ranged module to complement the melee aspect of your list.  And you might want 1-2 Incantors for magic defense.

The Heraldor is nice for the retreat+charge in case your opponent tries to tie up your hammer unit with chaff.  He is sometimes hard to get into position, in my experience.

image.png.c8a95cc6d6950336dd68817ebcc36edd.png

Because I was curious about a lot of things pertaining to ballista output.  Mainly the variance, what the most common results are, and how unlikely are spikes.

Interesting to see how bad that chance to do nothing is without an Ordinator.  And how heavily favored 6 is as a result.

I don't think I would take one without an Ordinator.  Also not sure the AT bonus versus a limited range of targets is good enough to justify that Stormhost for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

Because I was curious about a lot of things pertaining to ballista output.  Mainly the variance, what the most common results are, and how unlikely are spikes.

Interesting to see how bad that chance to do nothing is without an Ordinator.  And how heavily favored 6 is as a result.

I don't think I would take one without an Ordinator.  Also not sure the AT bonus versus a limited range of targets is good enough to justify that Stormhost for me.

Am i correct in understanding this tracks hits only? Not wounds and or failed saves? Just making sure i understand what youre showing.

7 minutes ago, firtahl said:

Am i correct in understanding this tracks hits only? Not wounds and or failed saves? Just making sure i understand what youre showing.

It looks to me like he's showing number of hits scored by a single ballista firing 4 shots, after each successful hit roll has been converted into the corresponding D6 hits. Not certain if the assumption is that each successful hit equals the average result of 3 hits.

One ballista in Rapid Fire, converting each hit to d6 hits.  Not averaging the results to 3.5 each.  This tracks and equally weights each possible result instead because I knew the distribution was weird, and wanted to visualize it.

The average when hitting on 4s might be 7.  But 6 is a more likely result.  I think it's helpful to know that because people often expect the "average".

This chart is hits only.  Wounds and saves is a much more linear calculation, so averages work pretty okay for that.  But averages don't work very well for Ballista's hits due to the extra die to determine the number of hits.

Edited by crkhobbit

13 hours ago, crkhobbit said:

Very interesting, thank you. What I’m seeing from this is that Ballista on 4s have a higher chance of fluffing while Ballista on 3s is more consistent with a better chance of spiking (comparatively).

While the numbers don’t seem impressive, it’s important to note when that limited range of targets have the potential to wipe out SCE armies (Keepers, FEC).

• Like 1

So how do you get them nicely hitting on 3s and not 4s? Obviously 5s is not very useful at all so an ordinator is mandatory.

Drakesworn with a bow? Floaty horse thing? What is it ... Tauralon. That when it moves over things.

What are the other ways? Because those options are far too expensive to be worth it really imo. I'm looking at using a 4 ballista list so cheers.