AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

What are you worried about? 12 clan rats do approximately zero damage

True, make that Plaguemonks or Stormvermin, though... ;)

I think i wanna try out some Decimators next time i play v Skaven, they should easily get 7-8 models within 2" with a good charge and pile in. Maybe the horde meta will revive a Paladin choice? Maybe i should just get some sleep... :D

Hello there

Long time reader here (and finally got thru the whole text) and now signed up to ask some questions :)

I am more interested in building/painting stuff than playing. For the main reason as I have more time for the one than the other usually just play on events/tournaments (easier to find some time for a playing a whole weekend than once a single game once a week)
But this also means I avoid models I don't like or convert them into something I do.

Therefore I want to build an army that is long term viable as the meta will change faster than I paint it anyway and rely on models I like.

Battleline will be 2 units of 5 Judicators and Liberators. 1 more than needed to have some variety and to possibility to field a unit of 10.

For the Heroes I plan:

Lord Castellant
Knight-Heraldor
Knight Incantor

Lord Relictor
Knight Vexillor
Lord Celestant (foot)

Lord Celestant (Dracoth)
Knight Azyros 
Knight Venator

And the first question is, which are recommended to have twice?

I was thinking about of Knight Incantor, Knight Heraldor, Knight Venator and Celestant on Dracoth?

Other units I want to paint 2 units of Prosecutors and 2 units of 5 Protectors (or Retributors not sure as I like the Hammer guys more) although they won't see battle very often.

For the heavy hitters, 3 Raptors with Longstrike Crossbow, Fulminators and Evocators are on my list.

Here I am not sure if 1 unit of 2 Fulminators will be enough (together with Celestant on Dracoth). Fulminators are kind of boring (model wise), if I need 4 of them to get them working I rather skip them and focus on something else.

Same with Evocators, 2 units of 5 (or one of 10) would be a nice addition but not sure if Dracolines would not be the better choice

Another question is, how would you think about replacing the shooting weapons with something else?
I don't really like bows (or crossbows) on Stormcast, as those either look a bit too SciFi for my liking or too much like cheap auxiliaries for an elite army, and think about replacing bows with Javelins at least for Judicators (and Knight Venator for consistency)

22 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I really want to start a Stormcast Eternals army, but I hate how I can't properly model a Knights Excelsior army since everything has the hammer symbol on them.

An electric grinder/MultiTool like Dremel helps removing those and than either paint the new symbols or make some with GreenStuff press mold

Edited by Kodos der Henker

Hey guys, 

Great thread- very insightful. Need some opinions please for a 2k Anvils list for an upcoming tournament. 

The battleplans are going to be Gift from the Heavens, Blood and Glory and Border War. 

Currently trying to decide between two lists, as attached. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20190328-225400.png

Screenshot_20190328-225409.png

Screenshot_20190328-230353.png

Screenshot_20190328-230402.png

In the first list I would be tempted to replace the Lord Vertinant with a Knight Vexillor- I would lose the dispell but would allow me to re-roll charges for deepstriking Evocators/Seqs and some added movement with the banner should I need to shift a unit down onto an objective. 

6 hours ago, armisael said:

Hello Guys,

What do you think about this scenary?

Is it possible to be a Stormcast scenary?

I saw a Stormcast symbol on its leg

1D70170F-6870-45C3-BA3D-12766D5861C5.jpeg

God i hope so.

Everyone and their mum is getting terrain (seems to be the new design way) and with it being free on the battlefield with accompanying buffs, its an autotake in any army that has one and puts them at an advantage starting out. 

SCE terrain that helps movement/ protects against mortal wounds would be awesome

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 12:29 AM, Ironbreaker said:

I really want to start a Stormcast Eternals army, but I hate how I can't properly model a Knights Excelsior army since everything has the hammer symbol on them.

This is the exact reason why I thrown my SCE on shelf about 9 month ago after having my entire army built with Excelsior's upgrade sprues, I was so frustrated because of heraldry, if only GW made sprues for Sacrosanct stuff...

Now I'm going to repaint my minis with whatever heraldry they have, maybe as Tempest Lords

52 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Does anyone have any idea on how to beat the FEC Gristlegore list at 1k points?

They effectively have a 1500 ish point army and can strike first and twice with the big monster with a turn one charge you anywhere on the map.

Try something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Astral Templars
Lord-Ordinator (140)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade  
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail  
- Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
9 x Castigators (240)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Hailstorm Battery (120)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 66

put the battalion in the sky. You will overkill his general, the rest will take some work.

On 3/25/2019 at 1:05 PM, Marzillius said:

I'm going to be running this list in a couple of tournaments this spring:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters 
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- 3x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

In one of the tournaments you get a pre-determined spell from the realm you choose for your army, and for Hysh it's Vengeful Illumination which gives +1 to hit for shooting attacks against an enemy unit. Pretty good with Ballistas. This list is otherwise designed to counter the FECCERS and specifically the Gristlegore general which my usual cavalry-based lists can't beat in combat. Instead I deepstrike down with the Ballistas (which I still don't actually like) and blow him off the board turn 1. Almost every other army in the game also runs monsters, so they will be useful in almost every matchup to remove a lynchpin unit immidiately. In later turns I can light up important units with the spell and hit them with the Ballistas rapid-fire mode on a 3+. The Sequitors will most often deepstrike along with the Ballistas to screen them from the opponent's melee units. The Dracoline Evocators will almost always get a turn 1 charge off with the Astral Templar trait, and they hit like a runaway freight train when buffed by Empower, the Pride Leader Arcanum and her command ability. I will miss Staunch Defender in almost every matchup, but I think it's worth it to get a favourable matchup against FEC.

I put this post up earlier this week. I've since revised the list based on feedback I recieved from you guys. This is the new version:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters 

- Artefact: Godbeast Plate
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (100)

Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
4 x Fulminators (480)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

I'm a bit unsure about the footslogging Arcanum. He's a lot worse than the Gryph-charger mounted one since he can't keep up with the Fulminators who are very nice with Cycle of the Storm (which I have a tendency to forget about, so maybe it doesn't matter too much). Otherwise the plan is mostly the same, but with one more Ballista to ensure the kill on a Gristlegore general, or any other monster really. Almost every monster in the game will die in turn 1 to this list. The Hysh spell that you gain access to is also very useful with the Fulminators, and with 4 Ballistas it will work out very well of course. Either the Sequitors or the Fulminators will get the lantern on them depending on the match-up and who will go where. The list is worse in close combat in comparison to my first list, but hopefully that will be mitigated by the enemy's best combat unit being destroyed before they get there. The Heraldor does however make it possible to turn 1 charge with the Fulminators or even the Sequitors if you roll a 5/6 on the run roll, and you can of course just spend a CP to make them go 6. The main thing I am unsure about is the size of the Fulminator unit. Should I split them into two units of 2 instead of having the big 4-man unit?

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

Can confirm Anvilstrike is a 5 win list 🙂

I'm having issues deciding about which heroes to take and if i should go for sequitors or not. 

Using 9 longstrikes and i want 1 aetherwing unit, 10 evocators for melee threat. Can't decide the rest.

Tips? 😁

6 hours ago, Future said:

Where is the math hammer break point in saves where swords beat grandstaves for evocators on foot?

Swords beat Grandstaves on 2+ saves
Almost even on 3+

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XReN said:

Swords beat Grandstaves on 2+ saves
Almost even on 3+

To add to that, consider variance. Staves might do more damage on average against 4+ and worse, but staves habe a propability of doing no damage of like 78% per attack, whereas for swords it's like 70%. That is because swords have more attacks and staves doing either 0 or 2 damage, but never 1. Against 5+ and 6+ saves though, staves get far ahead on average damage.

I've got a treat for you, Evocators with Grandstaves get even at 3+ and slightly better at 4+ with Empower on them. Below are on foot and on Dracoline units:

1.png

Edited by Tsorg
Low quality image.

Hi team! 

Anyone got any shooting list or stardrake lists to work lately? 

Going for a bigger tornument in a month and dont feel gavriel-bomb works right now with the meta in Sweden 

Stardrake and balistas? Anyone tryed ? 

3 hours ago, Lucur said:

Did you use  your last posted iteration of the list? Otherwise i'm curious what you supplemented the longstrikes with!

Yep! 9 Longstrikes 10+5 Evos etc. It's verybsolid multi threat, the main issue I had was mobility. So many armies now can teleport, summon, move fast, etc that I was pinned in many of my games unless I used Scions, which people are starting to zone out against. 

29 minutes ago, trarux said:

Hi team! 

Going for a bigger tornument in a month and dont feel gavriel-bomb works right now with the meta in Sweden 

Haven't tried Stardrake + Ballista, seems like the points would be a bit funky. What setup were you thinking? 

34 minutes ago, trarux said:

Hi team! 

I'm about to try a Staunch Defender StarDrake list with the Celestant Prime and Incantor casting the Comet (with +1 to cast near the Drake) for some long distance artillery. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Yep! 9 Longstrikes 10+5 Evos etc. It's verybsolid multi threat, the main issue I had was mobility. So many armies now can teleport, summon, move fast, etc that I was pinned in many of my games unless I used Scions, which people are starting to zone out against. 

Is it worth maybe investing in a Vexillor to slap a unit of Evocators across the board after they've finished off their first target? They can sometimes be stranded mid board. 

Or perhaps to get the Longstrikes out of dodge if deployed incorrectly and/or flanked? 

Build was the one I've been using for a while:

Incantor - General, Thundershock (was trying this, might go for Stormcaller in the future)
Relictor - Translocation
Heraldor
Azyros - Soulthief

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

10 Evos - Granstaff
5 Evos - Sword + Staff
9 Longstrikes
3 Aetherwings
10 Skinks

1990/2000

@Diabo Vexillor isn't a bad idea, but honestly I just hug the Relictor to the Longstrikes all game so I can get the teleport off. The Heraldor buddies around with the 10 man Evo unit and gives them a lot of extra mobility, especially if you skip Hero Phase shooting for a turn and give them auto-6" run. The other main downside of the Vex is that if you drop a unit 9" away and fail that charge (which you do most times), it just gets countercharged and Evos aren't exactly the toughest units in the game.

@PJetski At first I would have agreed, but even 5 Evos are absolutely brutal for 200 points. They easily punch above their weight class, helping kill an Etheral VLoZD, chunking down a Thundertusk, and chewing through hordes of bodies as if it was their job. The 10 man is obviously better, but the smaller unit pulled its weight every game except the last one, in which they got charged T1 by a Terrorgheist that rolled three 6s on the Maw to instagib them. And even then they were a distraction piece that let the 10 man unit get up and punk the AGoTG right after. 

I would heavily consider swapping them, but I'm not sure what else I could get for those points that would do the same amount of work. I was considering Palladors - not that they do the same amount of damage, but they bring a lot of mobility to the army and can help as "troubleshooters". 6 Prosecutors could also be helpful, especially a fighty melee unit that can drop down and reliably get in a 3d6" charge to threaten backfields without needing Gav or whatever.

There's the potential to drop both units and take a 6 man unit of Dracovators, but that's way less MWs, which is what saves me most games. No one wants to charge into my lines knowing I can potentially bump out 30 MWs in a turn if I my dice go completely off. 

Overall the list feels really solid as long as you know what to sacrifice and when. Sometimes I'll just pitch away my Incantor knowing she's going to die, but getting to smash Vials and force awkward pile ins can be the difference between victory and defeat.