AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Sounds like some people like storm, others sea : ) I have two Tidecasters and don't know if I should build sea or storm version...

I’m probably going to buy a second and do it as aspect of sea. You can have a bare bones list with both but not sure how good it would be as lacks screens and numbers. 

Based on the models I own I'm tempted to try: 

Volturnos 

Aspect of the storm 

Tidecaster 

Tidecaster 

Soulscryer 

30 Thralls 

6 Ishlaen guard 

6 Morrsarr guard

Ends up at 1940. Going Storm over Sea because that gives me room to add an endless spell. 

Edited by Amradiel
  • Like 2

Played both Sea and Storm extensively and i agree that Sea is a bit better.

Currently i'm using hin in a Ionarch list with , sword of judgement , gemini, aethervoid and abissal darkenss he hangs back dishing out good damage trough spells and ranged attacks while denying a huge chunk of board to monsters and heroes. I've never been disappointed by him. I think ionarch si close to must if you want to use him at 100%

On the other hand the storm, i really like him too but i think he is less consistent because to do work he must put himself in danger.

My Setup for them are:

Storm: General( Unstoppable Fury) and etheral amulet (fhuetan)

Sea: Sword of judgement (on the stormshoal), Abyssal darkness, Gemini and Aethervoid (ionarch)

2 hours ago, Gose said:

Sea: Sword of judgement (on the stormshoal), Abyssal darkness, Gemini and Aethervoid (ionarch)

The artefact on the fishes? I guess there’s nothing to say you can’t do that, but still feels wrong to me. 

You should at least add a little crab waving a big sword to the base! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gose said:

Played both Sea and Storm extensively and i agree that Sea is a bit better.

Currently i'm using hin in a Ionarch list with , sword of judgement , gemini, aethervoid and abissal darkenss he hangs back dishing out good damage trough spells and ranged attacks while denying a huge chunk of board to monsters and heroes. I've never been disappointed by him. I think ionarch si close to must if you want to use him at 100%

On the other hand the storm, i really like him too but i think he is less consistent because to do work he must put himself in danger.

My Setup for them are:

Storm: General( Unstoppable Fury) and etheral amulet (fhuetan)

Where do you see those items? I cant find them in the book

44 minutes ago, LegioX217 said:

Where do you see those items? I cant find them in the book

those items are on the Malign sorcery book 

1 hour ago, Azamar said:

The artefact on the fishes? I guess there’s nothing to say you can’t do that, but still feels wrong to me. 

You should at least add a little crab waving a big sword to the base! 

Yep i think there's nothing  preventing  this , probably when they'll remake the ID tome stormshoal will be considered a mount so you won't be able to give them an item.

Edited by Gose

Quick aside Storms ability on charge the wording seems a little open to interpretation. Does he re roll all 1s on the charge or just for the spear? There’s no full stop and then it goes to mention just the spear in regards to also plus 1 damage so not sure. 

With all the talk of storm vs sea I really wanted to make a list with both. At first I couldn’t find a list I liked the look of but for now have settled on. 

Volturnos 

Storm - cloud of midnight

Sea - tide of fear

20 thrall 

6 spear eel

3 shield eel

10 eternal guard 

cogs 

I think I may build towards this as it’s nice, no spam lots of unit variety so future proof and can be built out to other lists easily. As someone mentioned above probably run Ionrach for the boost on Sea. Cogs slowed down makes sea super tanky and a 3rd spell can also be sped up to compensate for no soulscryer. 

1 hour ago, Amradiel said:

I'm sorry if I am asking something that might be obvious to some. But what role do Eternal guard have?

Cheap screen / objective holders. 7 points per wound / model. is way more efficient than anything in the IDK book. 

Also cheapest IDK selection is 100 points so can help fill points. Seems to be eternal guard which I was put into by another user here or DoK heart renders that normally get allied in. 

BTW list from Blackout are up and Les Martin list is very nice 

Dhom-Hain, Shyish

Volturnos General 

Aspect of the Storm with Ethereal Amulet 

Tidecaster with Steed of Tides

2xSoulScryer 

3x6 Morssar Guards 

And list that finished 7th 

Fuethan 

Tidecaster General 

Tidecaster

2xSoulScryer 

3x10 Thralls 

9 Morssar 

9 Morssar

3 Ishalean

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Dhom-Hain, Shyish

Volturnos General 

2xSoulScryer 

3x6 Morssar Guards 

Fuethan 

Tidecaster General 

Tidecaster

2xSoulScryer 

3x10 Thralls 

9 Morssar 

9 Morssar

3 Ishalean

I’m one model away from having a fully painted 2,000 points now, and looking at the blackout lists I’m taking almost exactly the same as one of the blackout competitors! 

Not either of those two though. My list is the same as the guy in 69th place ?

69 is, objectively, a better number than 6 or 7 though, so it’s still a winner in my eyes. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Dhom-Hain, Shyish

Volturnos General 

2xSoulScryer 

3x6 Morssar Guards 

Fuethan 

Tidecaster General 

Tidecaster

2xSoulScryer 

3x10 Thralls 

9 Morssar 

9 Morssar

3 Ishalean

What site? Can I see this?

On 8/11/2018 at 8:25 AM, Amradiel said:

Based on the models I own I'm tempted to try: 

Volturnos 

Aspect of the storm 

Tidecaster 

Tidecaster 

Soulscryer 

30 Thralls 

6 Ishlaen guard 

6 Morrsarr guard

Ends up at 1940. Going Storm over Sea because that gives me room to add an endless spell. 

Another option might be just one Tidecaster and use Aspect of the sea. What do you guys think? Also which endless spells work well for us?

On 8/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, Amradiel said:

Another option might be just one Tidecaster and use Aspect of the sea. What do you guys think? Also which endless spells work well for us?

I have used Aspect if the sea in two times...I think is really good, can heal himself and eels...un combination with tidecaster, you can try to stack -1 hit to the most dangerous unit and launch ishlaen guard to tank this unit..while thralls and Morrsarr can atack with soulscryer ability.....and destroy normal enemy units...

On 8/17/2018 at 11:20 AM, Amradiel said:

So looking at your army, I had some thoughts...  Keep in mind I'm new to sigmar, so take it with a grain of salt.

First I don't think the big unit of thralls makes much sense with the rest of the list.   They can't reroll run if you bring them in the side like an eel unit with musician could, you don't have a reroll 1 with them, you can't bring any back and the large unit is more worried about battle shock, unless you do put the sea in.  

I have had a hard time finding a place for Morrsaar and Thralls in the same list, and.   I'm also finding two to four min units of Ishlaen to be a core to just about every list I've come up with, as a way to get my other units into combat.   Very little I've run into can kill through a 3 man unit with ignore rend and cover, and reroll of 1s through the shield spell.    Mortal wounds and other mechanics its better to have that smaller unit than a larger one.

So my suggestion is divide the Ishlean into two units, and you are done with battle line.    That frees up 360 points and since you have 60 already left over giving you a total of 420 points to play with.   I might try a 10 man thrall unit to hold back and deliver turn 3.

I keep coming back to Sea or Turtle for more cover after turn 1,  if don't have Sea I run tidecasters.    If I have an Akhelian King so guard are battle line I don't do thralls.

My two cents.