AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

29 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Hi fellow fish people. I am considering getting into the IDK (though it’ll depend on how the Hysh Elves turn out) and wanted to see if this list I came up with looks at all viable. Not looking for tournament standards by any means, but would like it to be at least competent.

Dhom-hain 

LEADERS

- Akhelian King (General) w/ Trait: Hunter of Souls, and Artefact: Armour of the Cythai. Also armed with the spear.

- Eidolon, Aspect of the Storm w/ Artefact: Terrornight Venom

- Soulrender

BATTLELINE

- 10x Thralls

- 10x Thralls

- 6x Morrsarr Guard

BEHEMOTHS

- Leviadon 

OTHER

- 10x Reavers

- 10x Reavers

BATTALIONS

- Namarti Corps 

Extra CP

CP: 3

Wounds: 104

thanks peeps :)

I don't think it's a great list, even talking non-competitive.

You're units of Nemarti are too small for the Soulrender to be much use. He can only return slain models to an existing unit, that means the unit has to survive through a phase (possibly two phases as you can only return models on your turn) of combat. 10 wounds with a 5+ save won't survive a round of combat, even assuming they are at a 4+ save from the leviadon it's unlikely to be good enough. 

If you want to run Nemarti I would suggest two options: 1) Drop the battalion and run 20 thralls rather than 10. 2) Use a tidecaster general to reverse the tide instead of an akhelian king. 

Reavers are genuinely quite bad even in casual games, if you want to run them I'd suggest using them as screens and as part of a reverse tide army. Leviadon is also quite bad, but if you like the model he can do ok at a casual level. 

You also might want to think about including any kind of wizard just to have access to an unbind. Steed of tides can be a really helpful spell too. 

Just some small feedback as you said you aren't looking for anything competitive. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

Is it worth considering an Eidoldon / Turtle for the standard King / Reverse Tidecaster MSU builds ? Or am I better just capitalising on more eels / sharks?

I can see how he could help. the eidolon will always be charging, so it's a consistent source of damage and healing. You shoulsn't charge an entire army with it, but I think it would be worthwhile to use. Only problem I see is that the blade of symmetry or ethereal amulet is almost mandatory on  him, so it will eat your relic choice unless you bring a battalion in order to use him really well.

The turtle is fine, but he shines better in the akhelian corps battalion with the free re-rolls ensuring his bite hits / wounds important stuff. Plus his shooting attack is pretty good for plinking off wounds, and he is good support for ishlean guard. I only wish sharks benefit from him more, but for some Mathlaan forsaken reason they are monsters.

14 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

Is it worth considering an Eidoldon / Turtle for the standard King / Reverse Tidecaster MSU builds ? Or am I better just capitalising on more eels / sharks?

Some people are down on eidolon of the storm but I've always found him to be useful. The ability to retreat and still charge is great, the wound rerolls are really great if not using Fuethan and still quite good otherwise. 

Plus he is a fantastic model and every idoneth player should own an eidolon. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I now that many users here ask for opinions, but welp, Im in such need. Next week I have a 1750 points tournament (2000-250) and I'll use my Idoneth. Unfortunately I can't change the list I use, since I'll be using all I have, the only thing I can do is try some allies (a friend has shadow warriors, some random elves, stormcasts). Mainly tho, I would like to hear what do you think and what I should take as spells and artifacts etc. Im sure that I'll use Dhomhainn because many other players will use many monsters in their list, like Alarielle, Seraphon Dinosaurs, and other scary stuff. This is the list:

Enclave Dhomhainn - Realm (Shyish) 1740/1750 Points
Volturnus (General)
Eidolon of Storm (Ethereal Armor/Cloud of Midnight)
Tidecaster (Steed of Tides/Arcane Corrasion)
3x Ishlaen Guard
3x Ishlaen Guard
6x Morsarr Guard
10x Namarti Thralls
2x Allopexes (Harpoon Launcher)
1x Command Point

7 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Not sure the Thralls are doing much for you in this list.  I know you said you can't really change it much, but if you're looking for future investment, they're the first thing I'd change.  As it is now, they're probably on bodyguard duty for your Tidecaster. And hopefully can grab some backfield objectives.

And you are absolutely right, when I used them they were useful for back objectives, defending those and stuff like that.. But I really feel like they are 130 wasted points, often nothing happens for them or they just die and nothing more. I would have the option to use the a squad of 10 Shadow Warriors tho. Would you use them instead of the Namartis? Or something from the Stormcast, I have a friend who has a bunch of them from the new box and from the old box. Probably even a squad of 5 Retributors (the hard hitting guys, not sure about the name now)

-1 rend would be amazing.  I don't feel they are useless though.  I find they are kind of a force multiplier.  They don't do any heavy lifting by themselves, but they're there to do clean-up work, snatch objectives, and generally be nusance that my opponent can't afford to ignore, but don't want to spend resources on to kill.

Just getting into AoS and starting with idoneth deepkin.

Just wondered if any have any experience playing a Mor’phann Namarti Corps list?

Was thinking, min units of reavers, 2 big units of thralls, maybe 3 soulrenders?
With Mor’phann’s enclave ability one of the soulrenders could return 6 slain models a turn, with the other 2 returning D3+3 models. Thinking of using a max unit of thralls as a screen which gets replenished by the soulrenders. With forgotten nightmares, thralls would have to be targeted if placed well.

Then throw in some Allopexes or eels for counter attacking. Aspect of sea for magic support, like mystic shield on thralls.

Will only be for casual gaming, just wondered if anyone’s tried something similar?

12 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Switching gears to a more hobby related question.  I will freely admit I am much more of a painter than a modeller, but I am trying to expand my hobby horizens.  I just picked up a pack of the Magnet Baron's magnetic flight stands for my first eel unit.  Anyone have any tips for installing them?

unfortunately, no.  Honestly though, it doesn't look like it needs anything for it? the picture on the sight looks like the way it should go.

Another Q,

Are we expecting/hoping for a new ID Battletome this year? I know deepkin was the last book before AoS 2 dropped. It seems that GW have been working through updating all armies for 2, just wondered.

Also, on reading the fluff on the eidolon seems a shame that it can’t be summoned mid game. Could be added to Isharann rituals? Seems like a lot of lists don’t include him which is a shame as it’s such a good model.

None know when we’re due for a new book.  But the power creep is REAL.  I got into AoS with the launch of Deepkin. I started because of the models, but in games they were strong, now however, most of the books that have come out are strong as well.  I think unfortunately points drops can’t help our unfavored units in competeitive builds.  Allopex, Leviadon, Eidolons are all hard to justify over eel spam.  

I think those big creatures need some kind of ability called “Grevious Bite” that apply an effect that if an enemy unit suffers a wound by the turtle or Leviadon they take MWs for X amount time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrimDork said:

Another Q,

Are we expecting/hoping for a new ID Battletome this year? I know deepkin was the last book before AoS 2 dropped. It seems that GW have been working through updating all armies for 2, just wondered.

Also, on reading the fluff on the eidolon seems a shame that it can’t be summoned mid game. Could be added to Isharann rituals? Seems like a lot of lists don’t include him which is a shame as it’s such a good model.

The book was written with 2nd ed in mind, which is why it has the art style of 2nd ed. That said, they do feel a little behind compared to the recent books, imo, same as the Maggotkin who where written at a similar time and are another 1.5 book. Hopefully we see them both get updated, but I sort of feel like GW see them as 2nd ed books. Also depends how successful the factions are in terms of sales.

I too am disappointed with the lack of Eidolons being used, though it’s not because the model is bad, rules wise. I’ve seen plenty of people saying they’re useful now since the point reductions. If I end up getting into the faction I’m pretty sure I’ll be adding one to my force. It’s really hard choosing between him or the Leviadon, since the big turtle is also freaking boss.

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Thanks 2

I have to say, the Eidolons and the Leviadon are both on my wishlist even if I never actually finish my Idoneth army (Teclis is calling me).  They both are really fantastic models that look like they'd be a blast to paint.  The entire Idoneth line has been great really.  Despite some hard to reach spots, my Reavers are really awesome to paint so far.

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace

On 1/17/2020 at 7:39 PM, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah I have to say also, after the reveal of Teclis art, sorry Idoneth but it seems Light Aelves are the elves for me. Redone high elves? Yus plez. I may still get a turtle or Eidolon though, since they’re such beautiful models, just to paint.

hey, why not both? who knows, maybe teclis's wayward sons will have an alliance with them in the fluff.

So, does anyone have any trouble cycle charging as much as I do? Kinda hard to plan around a hit and run type attack when the enemy can potentially double turn you and either steam roll the guys already in combat, or just charge the unit that just retreated. In a perfect world I could see being able to cycle charge, but to do that really requires every thing to be in the right place and for the enemy to sit still.