AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, Drofnum said:

Yeah, you dont keep them off til High Tide, you have to bring them on before that.

If you bring them on the turn before high tide you generally want them to wipe whatever unit they get in to.  If they dont you still have high tide going for you and they will attack first in that phase no matter what.  Its not a big deal for them to spend one turn on the table if you position decently.

It seems a bit of a waste of their great mobility to spend the "outflank" slots and have them wait a turn on the table when the slower Namarti could really benefit from the added movement.

I guess the case is for them to charge the turn they come (2nd) against an easy target so they are free to charge a beefy target next turn under High Tide. Getting stuck second turn and losing the chance to charge during High Tide wastes all the potential of Lord of Tides on Morrsar, and so would consider it a big mistake in one of my games.

Yet, I see Morrsar + King in ambush at least as an option to consider now.

10 hours ago, DanielFM said:

It seems a bit of a waste of their great mobility to spend the "outflank" slots and have them wait a turn on the table when the slower Namarti could really benefit from the added movement.

I guess the case is for them to charge the turn they come (2nd) against an easy target so they are free to charge a beefy target next turn under High Tide. Getting stuck second turn and losing the chance to charge during High Tide wastes all the potential of Lord of Tides on Morrsar, and so would consider it a big mistake in one of my games.

Yet, I see Morrsar + King in ambush at least as an option to consider now.

Anyone charging you at the top of Turn 3 is either way ahead or going to lose during high tide either way.  If you go second in turn 2 and are running even with your opponent there is no reason to not get everything you can in combat, even if you dont get first turn in turn 3 the amount of damage you do in the combat phase before they get to go first almost always cripples their combat power to the point that they are going to be ineffective in their strike back.  Then you get another turn of that with your extra attacks stacked on, even without the charge Morrsarr with +2 or +3 attacks have a massive damage output.

There are some exceptions to this obviously but in the vast majority of games if someone is charging me turn 3 i know i'm about to wipe most of that army off the table.

• Like 1

Slightly different question:

how do you guys paint that pale skin? I have been following the Warhammer TV guide; Ionrach base, drakenhof shade, highlight with deepkin flesh, but Im having trouble with it looking very splotchy, particularly with the wash. Anyone had similar issues, and got a solution? Or any other tips? :)

10 hours ago, Drofnum said:

That is my experience.  I've had a lot of games with them to test out Scryer+Morrsarr and thats how it goes the majority of the time. As always picking your targets correctly is key.

You know what? You are actually right. Six Morrsar with +3 attacks for each weapon (and reroll 1's from AK) cause 28 wounds  against a 4+ save unit on average. Ok, it's not the carnage they would unleash if they had charged (46 wounds), but when are you realistically going to need that much damage? Or as you said, how often will you able to line up such a charge until it's too late to decide the game?

It's a shame Lord of Tides is not one of the many "use at the start of the combat phase" Command Abilities, as it would have been very useful to pop it during High Tide if the opponent got first turn. In such situation, when your turn comes and you can use it the unit will have been depleted significantly. Well, it is as it is.

There is so much finesse to learn to play IDK right!

22 hours ago, Deepkin said:

Slightly different question:

how do you guys paint that pale skin? I have been following the Warhammer TV guide; Ionrach base, drakenhof shade, highlight with deepkin flesh, but Im having trouble with it looking very splotchy, particularly with the wash. Anyone had similar issues, and got a solution? Or any other tips? :)

The wash works best if you mix in plenty of lahmian medium and apply it very sparingly. You can always go back and define the areas you think need more.

I always keep my bush handy so that I can remove any areas that have a particularly large build up of wash as well to prevent it from pooling where I don't want it to 

On the image below I used Coellia green shade rather than the purple, but it stayed quite smooth.

IMG_6345.jpg.fbbcb2f9951a6e52a1e40d161b9ca882.jpg

On 2/11/2019 at 12:16 AM, Drofnum said:

I tend to play fairly aggressive with mine, my list isnt really the super competitive list though as I include an Eidolon of the Sea.  I am usually in combat first turn but I try to keep the King/Volturnos safe for turn 3 to use his command points.  I like bringing a big unit of Morrsarr out of the sea as well, keeps them protected until you bring them on. There is a game up on Frontline Gamings twitch of the LVO finals with Deepkin vs Stormcast, it would give you a pretty good idea of how to play that kind of list.

got a youtube link for that game? school sucked all the enthusiasm I had for AOS out of me something fierce and I need a pick-me-up

3 hours ago, kozokus said:

Seems a lot of people consider tidecaster general to be superior to volturnoa general. Is there any reason beyond that?

Yep as you can reverse tides which coupled with Fuethan enclave gives you ability to serious alpha strike possibilities. 

@kozokus not really, firstly you need to survive until turn 3 - so you got to be quite clinical with deployment and picking your targets then you got to have units in combats you want on 3rd turn and there is possiblity for your opponent to play around this. 

Fuethan Alpha strike gives you more possibilities as you can go second in 1 st battle round and then attack first in both tuns in 2nd round. With ability to run&charge Turn 1 you can go anywhere on the table especially with Soulscryers . 

In my opinon Tidecaster Fuethan armies are slightly better but you can have great resuts with Volturnos/King builds as well. So it's not like it's auto include to have Tidecaster general in competitive Deepkins. 

Edited by DantePQ

3 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

@kozokus not really, firstly you need to survive until turn 3 - so you got to be quite clinical with deployment and picking your target then you got to have units in combats you want on 3rd turn and there is possiblity for your opponent to play around this. 

Fuethan Alpha strike gives you more possibilities as you can go second in 1 st battle round and then attack first in both tuns in 2nd round. With ability to run&charge Turn 1 you can go anywhere on the table especially with Soulscryers  

Is it very competitive? Yeah

Is there a big trade-off losing Lord of Tides/Supreme Lord of Tides? I think there is, clearly.

I think both are valid approaches with different strengths.

AFAIK none of the top-10 IDK lists in LVO 2019 were Reverse Tide Fuethan, this shows how an Akhelian King/Volturnos list can be very competitive.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

I don't think there is any trade-off, it's just matter of choice obviously Volturnos/King builds are harder to play as there is more moving parts to make them work. But they surely are comeptitive. 

There is. You lose the Command Ability, so eels will never be as powerful.  But they get a more advantageous Tides of Death helping them with battle tempo. How is that not a trade-off?

I think it's a perfect selection to round up the battleforce. Three battleline with either general (Reavers +2x10 Thralls or 2x10 thralls+6 eels in one unit), two useful Isharann heroes (ok, if you are willing to pick Mor'phann) and a support Shark.

Maybe the competitive meta is eels^10 (not really, though. Look at LVO), but for that you have individual eel boxes. GW was never going to release a discount box with just eels.

I am just happy they are not trying to shove the shark down our throats again with this new start collecting boxes. Having eels makes this box look pretty good, and I may actually consider it for a future purchase considering the discounted price of thralls and a hero. Overall, I think it's pretty good, but I think a king or tidecaster would have been a much better choice of hero...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I like the shark. :(

The model? Really cool. The rules? Not for 140 points. It's almost literally deadweight, and worse than 3 Ishlaen in almost any scenario (except being required for the Akhelian Corps).

Compare to the rules of the Ironblaster for 120, for example.

We got 2 sharks in the Battleforce, anyway. No-one is going to need more than that 😆

Edited by DanielFM
Doomwheel is 160 points now.
  • Thanks 1

Here is my first try at a list! I desire to be competitive, but also stick to my theme (why yes, I do also enjoy having my cake and eating it too!), which is Akhelian raiding party.

Idoneth Deepkin 2000 points

Heroes

Volturnos: general, 280 points

Soulscryer: 100 points

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm: 400 points, Cloud of Midnight.

Units

Morrsarr Guard: 9 Morrsarr. 480 points.

Morrsarr Guard: 6 Morrsarr, 320 points.

Ishlaen Guard: 3 Ishlaen. 140 points.

Namarti Thralls: 10 thralls. 140 points.

Namarti Thralls: 10 thralls. 140 points.

Hits 2000 on the dot. Thoughts? I really want to include the Eidolon, but he is a lot of points. Should I nix the thralls and go only eels? One unit of 20 thralls or two of 10? 

Speaking of points and Skaven, how is the Screaming Bell at 200 points not a spit in the face for anyone fielding the Aspect of the Sea for 440 points?

13 wounds, not a monster, LoS also in close combat, 5+ negate any wound, two spells/unbinds per turn, two great auras, retreat before CC attacks.

Is there anything besides +4 move and a single spell reroll/1d3 wounds heal justifying double the points/making you feel less stupid for using it? GHB2019 can't come fast enough.

Speaking of which, what's the strategy to fight against the Flesh eater courts and skaven? I know they havn't been out for long, but does anyone know of any good ways to do so? We can't really snipe characters with shooting, and the Flesh eater courts do our high tide thing whenever they want with that command ability, so I am kinda at a loss.

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Speaking of which, what's the strategy to fight against the Flesh eater courts and skaven? I know they havn't been out for long, but does anyone know of any good ways to do so? We can't really snipe characters with shooting, and the Flesh eater courts do our high tide thing whenever they want with that command ability, so I am kinda at a loss.

Both at first glance just look like better books if I'm honest.

It's really shocking how poorly equipped the current elf factions are at magic.

Imo idk won't compete in this model heavy meta.

Edited by whispersofblood