Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scrubyandwells

Let's Chat Sylvaneth

Recommended Posts

So I have been using mostly Winterleaf, even still as my main opponent will be Maggotkin (we are competitive casual) and the idea still to use Lords of the Clan or at least multiple Treelords keeps coming back to me.  

My opponent hates the stomp for the -1 which I'm hoping to make use of more.

So for now I'm thinking 4 x 10 (possibly one 30 man but we're playing mostly open play cards) for Winterleaf, a TLA and then 2 Treelords.  I have ~12 Treekin (and a Wanderer army) so using Treekin as anvils with Sisters of the Thorn has come to mind.  And possibly a Waywatcher hero,... and Spellweaver (I think those 3 come to 400 points).

I guess my question comes down to viability of 3-4 Treelords (or TLAs) and law of diminishing returns.  Does dropping the Kurnoth Hunters make the army suffer that much or can Treelords with Dryads pull their weight?

In my experience 10 Dryads with a Treelord behind it has proven fairly effective vs  Nurgle but the new book will also change things.  

Thanks,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Sylvaneth players, i'm new here with a question:

Can I activate the rules Navigate Realmroots in hero phase with the Free Spirits battalion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HMB said:

Hello Sylvaneth players, i'm new here with a question:

Can I activate the rules Navigate Realmroots in hero phase with the Free Spirits battalion?

I can't find anything in the FAQs about it. It seems open to interpretation, like most rules I guess lol. I think the intention is just to use their standard movement. Making use of the Wyldwood move seems a little "gamey" to me if I'm honest. Whenever I have used the battalion I just use their standard move, but if you and your opponent agree otherwise, its all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HMB said:

Hello Sylvaneth players, i'm new here with a question:

Can I activate the rules Navigate Realmroots in hero phase with the Free Spirits battalion?

They cannont, below is the FAQ clarification on when abilities can be triggered but essentially it says that if an ability states which phase it activates in it can only be used in that phase, even if a model could benefit from it in a different phase.

 

Q: Several abilities allow a unit to make a move ‘as though 
it were the movement phase’. Does this allow them to make 
use of abilities or special rules that normally only apply in 
the movement phase? For example, in the hero phase a unit 
of Kurnoth Hunters in a Free Spirits Battalion can move as 
though it were the movement phase. Would this allow them to 
make use of the Forest Spirits battle trait, where a unit can be 
transported to the battlefield in the movement phase?
A: No, it does not. All it means is that the move is made 
as though it were the movement phase, so the distance 
the unit moves will be based on its Move characteristic, it 
can’t move within 3” of an enemy model, it can run and 
retreat (but if it does so it will have counted as having 
run or retreated for the rest of the turn), and so on.
Furthermore, abilities that specifically state they can 
only be used in a certain phase can only be used in that 
phase and/or their effects will only apply in that phase. 
So, if an ability says you can use it in your movement 
phase, it can only be used and its effects will only apply 
in your movement phase, if it says it can be used in your 
shooting phase, you can only use it and its effects will 
only apply in your shooting phase, and so on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6-2-2018 at 10:03 PM, Richelieu said:

They're not equal on 3+.  Swords are more likely to get 0 or 1 successes from a unit as well as being more likely to get 5+ successes from a unit.  Scythes more consistently get 2-4 successes and I think that reliability is an advantage (not to mention the 2" range advantage).  See the below binomial distributions for 9 scythe rolls vs 12 sword attacks against a 3+ save.

 image.png.c2b18ae9bab7e734ea06c4331256cf6e.png

These percentages are nearly similar, this doesn't convince me at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8-2-2018 at 8:14 AM, Craze said:

After reading this discussion of "Swords vs. Scythes" on the last couple of pages, I think it becomes quite clear that there is no crystal-clear "winner" in this competition.

There may be a lot of situations where scythes outperform swords and generally the majority of players seem to favor scythes over swords but there still may be some situations / army compositions where swords outshine scythes.

I - as a noob to AoS - would be really happy to see a thread where the various spreadsheets are linked and a fact based discussion is going on on which hunters to favor.

For me there is also the option of ranged hunters a little bit missing in this discussion as this really is an option when you know the meta of the events you play in.

Of Course here the comparison gets even more difficult...

I agree they are similar.. I have 3 units, one of each and I either use one of each or 2 bows and a melee (which depends on my opponent).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Azurious said:

They cannont, below is the FAQ clarification on when abilities can be triggered but essentially it says that if an ability states which phase it activates in it can only be used in that phase, even if a model could benefit from it in a different phase.

 

Q: Several abilities allow a unit to make a move ‘as though 
it were the movement phase’. Does this allow them to make 
use of abilities or special rules that normally only apply in 
the movement phase? For example, in the hero phase a unit 
of Kurnoth Hunters in a Free Spirits Battalion can move as 
though it were the movement phase. Would this allow them to 
make use of the Forest Spirits battle trait, where a unit can be 
transported to the battlefield in the movement phase?
A: No, it does not. All it means is that the move is made 
as though it were the movement phase, so the distance 
the unit moves will be based on its Move characteristic, it 
can’t move within 3” of an enemy model, it can run and 
retreat (but if it does so it will have counted as having 
run or retreated for the rest of the turn), and so on.
Furthermore, abilities that specifically state they can 
only be used in a certain phase can only be used in that 
phase and/or their effects will only apply in that phase. 
So, if an ability says you can use it in your movement 
phase, it can only be used and its effects will only apply 
in your movement phase, if it says it can be used in your 
shooting phase, you can only use it and its effects will 
only apply in your shooting phase, and so on.

 

 

thank you so much, you made my day brighter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Evening all

i am trying to get my first game of aos sorted out in my local gw and wanted to take some of my sylvaneth but I am not sure how to take it. Basicly I have the sc box (main guy as tree lord ancient) a box of dryads (built) a box of tree revs (built) and a unopened box of kurnoth hunters. I think it comes to just under 1000 points. Should I look at taking a battalion or swap anything around? I not competitive really but would like to give a good go.  All the gear and no idea springs to mind

Many thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Temp said:

 

Evening all

i am trying to get my first game of aos sorted out in my local gw and wanted to take some of my sylvaneth but I am not sure how to take it. Basicly I have the sc box (main guy as tree lord ancient) a box of dryads (built) a box of tree revs (built) and a unopened box of kurnoth hunters. I think it comes to just under 1000 points. Should I look at taking a battalion or swap anything around? I not competitive really but would like to give a good go.  All the gear and no idea springs to mind

Many thanks 

For 1000p I don’t think it’s worth it  to buy battalions. Your list is pretty solid, actually at those points I play almost the same list and it works for me. Good luck with the match! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 11:26 PM, Popisdead said:

So I have been using mostly Winterleaf, even still as my main opponent will be Maggotkin (we are competitive casual) and the idea still to use Lords of the Clan or at least multiple Treelords keeps coming back to me.  

My opponent hates the stomp for the -1 which I'm hoping to make use of more.

So for now I'm thinking 4 x 10 (possibly one 30 man but we're playing mostly open play cards) for Winterleaf, a TLA and then 2 Treelords.  I have ~12 Treekin (and a Wanderer army) so using Treekin as anvils with Sisters of the Thorn has come to mind.  And possibly a Waywatcher hero,... and Spellweaver (I think those 3 come to 400 points).

I guess my question comes down to viability of 3-4 Treelords (or TLAs) and law of diminishing returns.  Does dropping the Kurnoth Hunters make the army suffer that much or can Treelords with Dryads pull their weight?

In my experience 10 Dryads with a Treelord behind it has proven fairly effective vs  Nurgle but the new book will also change things.  

Thanks,

 

Treelords and Dryads can pull their weight, but points-wise the Treelords are not as good as the Kurnoth Hunters and the -2 rend of the scythes is a tool much needed in lots of battles. The Dryads are a very good and cheap unit that in my opinion can go toe to toe with other horde units.

In the end I believe you need a bit of everything in a sylvaneth list...

Edited by Siegfried VII
grammar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

Treelords and Dryads can pull their weight, but points-wise the Treelords are not a good as the Kurnoth Hunters and the -2 rend of the scythes is a tool much needed in lots of battles. The Dryads are a very good a cheap unit that in my opinion can go toe to toe with other horde units.

In the end I believe yoy need a bit of everything in a sylvaneth list...

Thanks kindly.  Much appreciated your insight

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you where about to start playing casually with friends. How would your list look at 1000 points? I had a list I was happy with before but it is not legal anymore since the point increase...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Amradiel said:

If you where about to start playing casually with friends. How would your list look at 1000 points? I had a list I was happy with before but it is not legal anymore since the point increase...

For nice friend games I'd try 

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych 

20 Dryads

5 Tree-revs

5 Tree-revs

3 Hunters with Scythes

it has mix of everything and is powerful enough to have a nice game while not being OP by any means.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

For nice friend games I'd try 

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych 

20 Dryads

5 Tree-revs

5 Tree-revs

3 Hunters with Scythes

it has mix of everything and is powerful enough to have a nice game while not being OP by any means.  

Not too different from my old one so that is good :) I think it was: 

Treelord ancient

20 Dryads

5 Tree revenants 

3 Hunters bow 

3 Hunters Scythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Yes but now your army is 1020 ;)  

Yeah thats why I said it is not legal anymore ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have fun with army I posted if you want 2 hunters units (which is stronger I guess - just take 10 Dryads and 5 T-Revs alogn with TLA) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DantePQ said:

You should have fun with army I posted if you want 2 hunters units (which is stronger I guess - just take 10 Dryads and 5 T-Revs alogn with TLA) 

I like that list (with the 2 hunter units)

TLA, wych, 10 dryads, 5 revenants and 2x3 hunters is what I'd use myself in 1K points. My alternative would be TLA, 3 hunters, 2 x 20 dryads and either a wych or 5 revenants. Only 3 lists I'd consider I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, Temp said:

 

Evening all

i am trying to get my first game of aos sorted out in my local gw and wanted to take some of my sylvaneth but I am not sure how to take it. Basicly I have the sc box (main guy as tree lord ancient) a box of dryads (built) a box of tree revs (built) and a unopened box of kurnoth hunters. I think it comes to just under 1000 points. Should I look at taking a battalion or swap anything around? I not competitive really but would like to give a good go.  All the gear and no idea springs to mind

Many thanks 

Hello, I would buy 1000 points as soon as possible another Starter collection, sooner or later you will need more dryad, I know it is not what you have, but I play this:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Scythes

Behemoths
Treelord (240)

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40)
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 59
the idea is very simple the Command Trait allows you to ignore the rend up to (-2), the artifact improves the armor in + 1 and the Heed the Spirit-song allows you to repeat the 1s, giving the friend Trelord the mystical shield, you have to Two guys who turn to those points into hell, your enemy? for everyone Tzeentch and his mortals, I know you do not have all the minis I put here, but it's a good idea to list, a greeting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I'm a complete noob here.  What do you mean by that?  What is the advantage of paying for one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woods are free for Sylvaneth.

Buying a wood only gives you the ability to deploy it via another warscroll or spell or item outside of Sylvaneth Allegiance. You cannot deploy it with terrain at the start of the game which is what many think at first. It's not explained very well on the scroll but it's the same as the BaleWind vortex. You need a way to bring it to the battlefield.

For example a TLA can summon one but outside of Sylvaneth Allegiance armies he has to pay for it so you could get a TLA as an ally in an Order army and to use his ability to summon a wyld wood would cost you 40pts PER wood which is upto 3 Wyldwood bases. Its like summoning troops (Another broken rule if you ask me) if the scroll has an ability to summon Dryads for example you have to pay for them in advance so you start with less but pay full price :( Lot of risks associated with summoning which makes it pointless.

 I don't think there are any other ways to summon a wyld wood outside of Sylvaneth allegiance apart from Durthus compendium scroll if not playing event rules. This is one reason I don't like the Living City allegiance because without a TLA  you cannot use the teleport ability (aside from table edges) and they still damage your own army :S

I don't see many posts about players wanting to play Living City anyway. Shame as fluff wise its the one I would choose. You cannot have Living City if you pick Sylvaneth allegiance so yet again another restriction with no logical reason from GW. Each year seems to introduce more frustrating barriers to building the amries we imagine and want to play.

Edited by WABBIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

to summon a wyld wood would cost you 40pts PER wood which is upto 3 Wyldwood bases

I wasn't aware of this, and I'm away from my books atm - was it clarified in a FAQ? Aren't the point values given specifically for a Sylvaneth Wyldwood, which is made up of 1-3 bases? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

I wasn't aware of this, and I'm away from my books atm - was it clarified in a FAQ? Aren't the point values given specifically for a Sylvaneth Wyldwood, which is made up of 1-3 bases? Thanks.

He's incorrect, you are correct. It's 40 points per wyld wood which is 1-3 bases, no reason to make it worse.. it's still not worth it :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...