AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Anyone have plans to make a mercenary Mega-Gargant K'Daai Destroyer?  Seems like that might be a decent boon to LoA.  Sure it's 25% of an army, but I think they can do more damage than anything in the army, attract the enemy heavy hitters, and let the magma cannons and fireglaives to snipe heroes whilst the infantry gets mopped up by the Mega. 

Thoughts?

Not sure about the future of LoA of course but to get them a little more mileage could be something worth trying.

• LOVE IT! 1

Here’s an idea for the inclusion of a (megagargant) Kdaai Destroyer, which I think is 480 points.  The blackshard Warhost gives us plenty of bodies for objectives, with a little quality sniping from the cannons as body guards for the Daemonsmith.   Ashstorm with the Warstomper s jump up and down -1 to hit aura can make for some really annoying tar pit action.   Perhaps not super duper awesome but I think it could give some good games.   

1209F4F1-525C-4531-B918-BAB9E1EA1F84.png

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anyone have plans to make a mercenary Mega-Gargant K'Daai Destroyer?  Seems like that might be a decent boon to LoA.  Sure it's 25% of an army, but I think they can do more damage than anything in the army, attract the enemy heavy hitters, and let the magma cannons and fireglaives to snipe heroes whilst the infantry gets mopped up by the Mega. 

Thoughts?

Not sure about the future of LoA of course but to get them a little more mileage could be something worth trying.

It depends on what they end up costing, as I feel so points-starved with Chorfs that it seems hard to make room for one. If it ends up costing 480 as its nameless variant I might swap out the usual 12 k'daai against more elite armies where I need the rend.

I guess a mega gargant might be a sweet include, but it‘s 150€...

It could be useful as a distraction carnifex, fast objective grabber and dishing out a bunch of rend damage... I hate it for the kinda „auto-include“

the kraken-eaters „into the net“ thing can break open unit coherence or delete special models banners or champions and the possibilities of slapping dark forged hellsteel armor plates on the thing and model a nice waraxe is very tempting.

• LOVE IT! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sooo have been looking around for a chaos faction to start and so far by far the one which attracts me the most is LoA. I hopped over to forgeoworld and it says most of their artillery is out of stock as is their battalion. I also read up and it seems that two of their artillery (rocket and skullcrusher are no longer in production) Are they phasing out their models or something or is this just a temporary stock issue you think? 

Is it totally the wrong time to slowly build up a LoA army?

Thoughts?

JP

• Sad 2

Hi all,

Sooo I wanted to ask. I have been trying to find a Chaos army that I like and I stumbled over LoA- by far the chaos army I like best. I looked into their builds and models and form what I can see at least two artillery pieces are no longer produced by Forgeworld. Then I went over to the site and another two are labelled as 'out of stock' together with their infantry batallion. Is this army being phased out? Is it madness to start collecting an LoA army now? What do you all think. I am not interested in competition play to be clear and relatively new to AoS. Would you dissuade or encourage someone to start an LoA army now?

Thanks for your input!

JP

28 minutes ago, Jean said:

Hi all,

Sooo I wanted to ask. I have been trying to find a Chaos army that I like and I stumbled over LoA- by far the chaos army I like best. I looked into their builds and models and form what I can see at least two artillery pieces are no longer produced by Forgeworld. Then I went over to the site and another two are labelled as 'out of stock' together with their infantry batallion. Is this army being phased out? Is it madness to start collecting an LoA army now? What do you all think. I am not interested in competition play to be clear and relatively new to AoS. Would you dissuade or encourage someone to start an LoA army now?

Thanks for your input!

JP

I would definitely recommend against starting a LoA army right now, many of the models are hard to find, and I personally think they can vanish at any time. If you do intend to buy models still, you'll need to get them from ebay or... sources we cannot legally recommend.

On 11/2/2020 at 5:57 AM, Jean said:

Hi all,

Thanks for your input!

JP

JP, this is a tough spot. Like you, the Chaos Dwarves were instant love when looking for an AoS army, they're amazing sculpts, and fun to play, amazing enjoyable to paint, but have real some downsides. The biggest issue is models in their range have been discontinued, and unless they're revived in AoS as a plastic range, I doubt they'll come back, this limits what army you can field as if you don't have all the models you want/need, you'll have to find them on eBay, which can be expensive and a long wait to find say a SkullCracker, the army is also sadly often mentioned, but shown no love, the last update we've received was when AoS 2nd edition came out years ago, we don't have endless spells, a FAQ,  or any warscroll updates since then (some rules need adjustment). Now on the otherhand, I'm a noncompetitive player, and have a whole lot of fun playing this army and am absolutely in love with the models, they are not a very strong army, but also aren't super weak. If you decide to buy them and put an army together you'll have an awesome army of angry evil dwarves. From a collection stand point, you can't realistically get the full range of models, but can put together a pretty fun force with a lot of the options. They are expensive, and middle of the road game play wise, they could be discontinued tomorrow or be revived down the road. If you like em and want them, I say go for it, if you're on the fence... Flip a coin. Forge World haven't communicated well their future intentions for the Legion when we've reached out in the past, which is concerning, but unsurprising. 

If you're just looking for an army with awesome models, that are fun to paint and play but lack support and unit choice with a limited future, I'd say go for it. I'd much rather buy them because I want them, then wait and find out down the road that they're gone. But I also can't fault you if you decide to find another Chaos army which is better supported and has a wider range of availability.

A quick unit run down from the top of my head:

Drazoath the Ashen - sick model, disappointed with the way he plays and how much he costs.

Shar'tor - awesome sculpt, rules leave him a little lackluster and his warscroll battalion is alright but leaves you wanting more.

Daemonsmiths - good little evil dwarf casters.

Bull Centaur Turruk - Hes a beast. Favorite model in the range and hits like a truck.

Kaadi Fireborn - painting them was rough with a brush, but they're cool models with good rules.

Bull Centaurs - hit hard and are fun to paint.

Iron Sworn - cost too many points, but are good at holding objectives.

Fireglaves - usually the best battleline to take in the army as they have good shooting, and the cost is good.

Iron Daemon - good tanky chaos dwarfy thingymabob

Castellan - not to shabby for a little hero dude.

BSB - can be useful in some builds, looks cool.

Skullcracker - discontinued =( the even more chaos dwarfy smashy discombobulator

Magma Cannon - best artillery game play wise due to mortal wound output. Model is the most boring of the options. Competition lists usually take three of them to tournaments.

Dreadquake Mortar - second favorite model in the whole range, so much fun to build and paint! Sadly its expensive and the rules leave you disappointed, I still play with it in my games for the variety but its not great.

Deathshreiker Rocket Launcher - (think this one might be discontinued or out of stock?) This model looks cool, and it is alright on the table

• Thanks 1

This is what I've been telling myself if they do cancel them out of Age of Sigmar (which I obviously hope they don't):

• I can use them as "counts as" Slaves to Darkness.
  • I can use them as "counts as" Cities of Sigmar.
  • I can use them in Kings of War (bleh... but still).
  • I might be able to use them in The Old World.

2 hours ago, Lobeau said:

JP, this is a tough spot. Like you, the Chaos Dwarves were instant love when looking for an AoS army, they're amazing sculpts, and fun to play, amazing enjoyable to paint, but have real some downsides. The biggest issue is models in their range have been discontinued, and unless they're revived in AoS as a plastic range, I doubt they'll come back, this limits what army you can field as if you don't have all the models you want/need, you'll have to find them on eBay, which can be expensive and a long wait to find say a SkullCracker, the army is also sadly often mentioned, but shown no love, the last update we've received was when AoS 2nd edition came out years ago, we don't have endless spells, a FAQ,  or any warscroll updates since then (some rules need adjustment). Now on the otherhand, I'm a noncompetitive player, and have a whole lot of fun playing this army and am absolutely in love with the models, they are not a very strong army, but also aren't super weak. If you decide to buy them and put an army together you'll have an awesome army of angry evil dwarves. From a collection stand point, you can't realistically get the full range of models, but can put together a pretty fun force with a lot of the options. They are expensive, and middle of the road game play wise, they could be discontinued tomorrow or be revived down the road. If you like em and want them, I say go for it, if you're on the fence... Flip a coin. Forge World haven't communicated well their future intentions for the Legion when we've reached out in the past, which is concerning, but unsurprising. 

If you're just looking for an army with awesome models, that are fun to paint and play but lack support and unit choice with a limited future, I'd say go for it. I'd much rather buy them because I want them, then wait and find out down the road that they're gone. But I also can't fault you if you decide to find another Chaos army which is better supported and has a wider range of availability.

A quick unit run down from the top of my head:

Drazoath the Ashen - sick model, disappointed with the way he plays and how much he costs.

Shar'tor - awesome sculpt, rules leave him a little lackluster and his warscroll battalion is alright but leaves you wanting more.

Daemonsmiths - good little evil dwarf casters.

Bull Centaur Turruk - Hes a beast. Favorite model in the range and hits like a truck.

Kaadi Fireborn - painting them was rough with a brush, but they're cool models with good rules.

Bull Centaurs - hit hard and are fun to paint.

Iron Sworn - cost too many points, but are good at holding objectives.

Fireglaves - usually the best battleline to take in the army as they have good shooting, and the cost is good.

Iron Daemon - good tanky chaos dwarfy thingymabob

Castellan - not to shabby for a little hero dude.

BSB - can be useful in some builds, looks cool.

Skullcracker - discontinued =( the even more chaos dwarfy smashy discombobulator

Magma Cannon - best artillery game play wise due to mortal wound output. Model is the most boring of the options. Competition lists usually take three of them to tournaments.

Dreadquake Mortar - second favorite model in the whole range, so much fun to build and paint! Sadly its expensive and the rules leave you disappointed, I still play with it in my games for the variety but its not great.

Deathshreiker Rocket Launcher - (think this one might be discontinued or out of stock?) This model looks cool, and it is alright on the table

Lobeau, Thank you for your exhaustive reply and your unit by unit feedback. Quite right I was on the fence on this for the reasons you mentioned but then again better than realising down the line they are no longer available so I bit the bullet. Just ordered the mortar and Drazoath the Ashen! Will hopefully have time to build up the army over the coming months before Forgeowrld does something nasty like discontinue with no warning. Grrrr. .. I do wish they would let people know if they're going to discontinue it anytime soon and give people al last chance to get the models. I'm already worried that is happening since both the magma cannon and the deamon engine are 'temporarily out of stock' but this might be a regular thing? I read somewhere that they 'broke' the rocket mould and won't be re-doing it so its gone for good. Oh well we will see and adapt. there are some awesome proxies for some war machines I found which look pretty cool though not sure how they compare in terms of scale and quality. Look forward to building my obscure mid-range non competitive chaos army :) By far the coolest looking for me. I have a long term goal of collecting an army form each allegiance : )Have night haunt for Death, Kharadron for Order (they make a nice counterpoint to LoA I think!) and SoB for destruction. If you have any suggestions for proxies for the rockets let me know! Thanks all for your comments helped me make up my mind... so Chorfs here we come!!!!!!

• LOVE IT! 2

Eeekamouse.. I guess there are always those options. though surely even if they discontinued them as armies you can somehow play them or as allies somehow.. no?  Or am I being optimistic there! Still not a a bad idea for CoS hehe didn't think about it but I guess if you can have Dark Elves in CoS then why not!!!

One thing I realised don't they have the whole bull/cow thing going on now with the Lumineth?

The Lumineth have those Alarith cow-helmet guys, but those don't have the cavarly or mutated centaur types, or even bull-knights.  Probably not the best use for Azgorh models. 

But for Cities of Sigmar, that's a good potential substitution....Fireglaives for Irondrakes, Daemonsmith for the Runesmith guy, Castellan for a Warden King.  Cannons can be Steamtanks for sure.  Bull-centaurs could be Demi-Gryph Knights (not sure about base size switch though), and even Drazhoath could be a General on Griffon.  Probably best as Greywater Fastness for those purposes.

Or OR if someone really wants to go evil Dawi they could build an army of Sons of Behemat using the Colossi story bit about an ancient forge that made giant mechanical beings.  The tanks and random (probably Skaven) parts could help build the fantasy-mech-steampunk type bodies, and the little guys could crew the torso activating the limbs and stuff.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jean said:

Thanks all for your comments helped me make up my mind... so Chorfs here we come!!!!!!

Real engineers get their hands dirty/bloody...

the army is kinda non-competitive, but nice to field and opponents around here mostly love the chance to play against some rare funky army (one is kinda spiteful after a run in with sniping rockets 🚀 of death 😂)

always remember the 90s, where kitbashing and conversions were highly appreciated and encouraged by GDubs... look for regular dwarves (not the naked ones) and go to town.

If all fails us and we get ditched, the whole army list is pretty easily converted into something, like cities of Sigfried with cannons and musketeers and elite Kavallerie or something.

we will prevail and we will stay awesome 🥃😎 👍🚀🚀🚀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, need some advices for the list i would test in some games in future (when is possible):

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Pyre Rune Staff
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Grotesque
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

Battleline
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)

Units
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)
1 x Iron Daemon War Engine (180)

Artillery
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Battalions
Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

First of all its worth or not run 30 iron or better reduce them to 20 and upgrade the rifle to another 20 mob, or remove bull general and upgrade k daii at 9?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

No no, I think that list is pretty darn solid.  Artillery Train really helps the magma get where it needs to go, through the air, onto enemy hero support!  6 Fireborn should be plenty to tarpit many enemies, while even hitting others 3" away to soften them up.  I would probably split up the 20 Fireglaives into 10 to enable reaching out to more objectives, and then if one unit gets into combat, the other little unit can shoot at something else if needed.  

Not sure how much that screaming bride endless spell costs, but that, or the boatman, could be good for teleporting the Ironsworn.  Would cost you a Daemonsmith.  Sort of a toss up as many enemies can just outright deny your spells, but if they do the spell casting from far enough, they couldn't unbind it (except for maybe Lord Kroak and Knight-Incantor, Brazen Rune on Khorne?).  Duardin are slowpokes.  I think 30 Ironsworn with the Defense CA can hold up pretty well; throwing back MW on 6s for saves (they always get to roll that even if the enemy rend is too high to actually save!).  That said, can't argue with more Fireglaives but then you'll be over on points.

Tauruk is solid.   I might give him the Black Hammer of Hashut instead, so he can make sure to hit whatever he wants to smack, and then give the Armor of Bazherak to the battalion Daemonsmith to help him stay alive for the sake of the cannon ranges.

With Azgorh I eventually learned to play for the draw, then capitalize on openings and mistakes.  If you do have the K'Daai, and get a teleport spell in there, you'll be better able to reach enemy territory (and then I'd say keep the 30 Ironsworn as a big mob).

• Thanks 2

Most is said above,

Splitting the fireglaives for more options and the armor on the daemonsmith...

I‘m not sure about the battalion, the extra CP, extra artifact sounds and feels nice, buuuuut

ditching one smith, the battalion and the engine gives you 400 points: extra cannon, 10 fireglaives, 3 K‘Daii and 20 points for triumph ...

the cannons will stand next to a smith and have 24“ range, in total 40 rifels and another fast tarpit unit

or keep your suicide Train, the 18“ range after a 11“ move should be sufficient if you have your models moving sideways, which is stupid but RAW no orientation on models in AoS.

• Thanks 1

I think the battalion is good except that the iron Daemon is just so very meh.  If dumping the battalion you could dump the Iron Daemon and keep multiple Daemonsmiths for the range buff and of course more wizardry, and more burning blood to throw on people up close!

extra CP could be very useful for battleshocks or rerolling 1s to hit, etc.   the right triumph though, sometimes very game changing ....if remembered.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

i tried to build a quite competitive list with LoA and had some success with one I want to share with you. Interested about your opionion. There is also 180 Points left which I'm not sure about how to fill out. In my games I filled it with a 2nd daemonsmith for the extra ban, a command point and 30 points left to hope for a triumph. It was ok, but i didnt felt it being the perfect fit. I could switch with quite some other options and hope you can help me decide.

The List:

Heroes:

- Bull Centaur Taur'ruk, Grotesque and Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

- Two Daemonsmiths

- Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer

Battleline:

- 3 x 10 Fireglaives

Units:

- 2 Skullcracker

-12 K'Daai

Artillery: 

- 2 x Magma Cannon

Command Point

1970 Points

What do you guys think is the best option for the last 180 points? I thought of trying 20 Ironsworn, 3 Bullcentaurs or a 2nd Tauruk with 20 Points Leftover to hope for the Triumph.

Edited by Charly2912

I might recommend dropping 1 Daemonsmith and take an allied Mindstealer Sphiranx for the 100 points.  It's a good way to let Azgorh have a chance in the so-called activation wars.  And a 5/6th chance that can't be unbound or denied any way.  Charging 2 Skullcrackers or the K'daai blob and Tauruk, for example, and having their target strike last in combat could really pay off big.  10 wounds on the cat too, making it hard to get rid of from afar, plus it's not a huge target priority since it doesn't do anything else.

Or an allied Slaanesh Epitome Twins.  Haven't tried that myself cuz I just don't like the model, but read good things.  That might be 180 points though.

• Like 2

An extra CP can certainly come in handy, so could a triumph, and the effect of the Sphiranx has a longer range and better chance of going off.   

However the epitome certainly brings a huge set of goodies to the table.  Its spell can provide the rerolling of 1s for shooting and combat that 2 CPs would do against D3 units.   Pretty good!  Of course it can be unbound sometimes.  Or fail to cast.  It also has fewer wounds and still a crappy save  but very fast and good in combat and ignores MW on a 2+.   Overall I’d probably say the Epitome is a better competitive ally than the Sphiranx.  

Replacing the ugly insectoid Daemonettes with cats would make it so much better.  I’m making one now!

• 4 weeks later...