AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Been lurking on these forums for some time and mained Legion of Azgorth for awhile but finally have taken the plunge and created an account. I was curious if there is a place to acquire a legitimate skullcracker these days since forgeworld no longer produces them? Personally have never bothered with iron deamons but always loved the look of skullcrackers and how they play in game.

• Like 1

Welcome lurker! Nice image too.

No legit place I can think of for a skull cracker. My best advice would be to convert one. Maybe start with a cheap and battered 40k rhino? Using train parts could be a good way to build it out. That or pay a small fortune on ebay for one. I'm sure the few who have them, know their worth. 

..like the chaos mammoth. 

Watched a Bat rep last night and i'm loving how the legion plays, Fireglaives & Ironsworn were solid with the war machines and Smiths providing some nice support.

The army however did eventually lose, it seemed like once an overwhelming number of enemies hit the line, it crumpled then couldn't really recover.

Is this typical of the legion? What can you do to stop this? Are something like Centaurs or a hitty hero necessary to stop such a thing?

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

Watched a Bat rep last night and i'm loving how the legion plays, Fireglaives & Ironsworn were solid with the war machines and Smiths providing some nice support.

The army however did eventually lose, it seemed like once an overwhelming number of enemies hit the line, it crumpled then couldn't really recover.

Is this typical of the legion? What can you do to stop this? Are something like Centaurs or a hitty hero necessary to stop such a thing?

Yeah you need heavy hitters.  Magma Cannons, Skullcracker, Iron Daemon, Centaurs, etc.  if whatever hit the front line is deadly, then it needs to be killed, otherwise debuff it with ash storm and tank it out with the Ironsworn and focus down something else.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Charlo said:

Where was the bat rep from? 

I have had issues with getting over whelmed but it has mainly depended on the army I'm facing and luck. My lists tend to be artillery and infantry focused so my only melee units are 2x20 ironsworn and a unit of fireborn and I depend on weakening the enemy as they approach. Best case scenario I take out the major threats and support units before they get close but that has only happened once so far. Worst case is when I rolled horribly eith my artillery and got crushed. Usually what happens is that I soften them up with the artillery, they spend a turn or two killing all my ironsworn and by the time they are done they have been shot enough that my fireglaives can survive in melee. 

I have found death armies to be particularly annoying and difficult because they regenerate so much that if you dont roll well enough to kill a target immediately I will just heal back to full.

If I replaced my deathshreikers and dreadquake eith magma cannons then my results would be a lot less swingy.

14 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I have found death armies to be particularly annoying and difficult because they regenerate so much that if you dont roll well enough to kill a target immediately I will just heal back to full.

If I replaced my deathshreikers and dreadquake eith magma cannons then my results would be a lot less swingy.

Not to mention nighthaunt ignoring rend. I've had trouble with death as well, but its usually a close win, or draw. Use the range of your artillery to focus down their casters in the back, they always tend to stay way back and won't get in range of your magma cannons or fireglavies if they can help it.

4 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I have had issues with getting over whelmed but it has mainly depended on the army I'm facing and luck. My lists tend to be artillery and infantry focused so my only melee units are 2x20 ironsworn and a unit of fireborn and I depend on weakening the enemy as they approach. Best case scenario I take out the major threats and support units before they get close but that has only happened once so far. Worst case is when I rolled horribly eith my artillery and got crushed. Usually what happens is that I soften them up with the artillery, they spend a turn or two killing all my ironsworn and by the time they are done they have been shot enough that my fireglaives can survive in melee. 

I think it was your battle report, haha get in the discord.

I'll be having some up that showcases each battalion and then my tournament list that I've had success with, and some breakdowns.

6 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Try this list:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon & Pyrelock Pistol
- Trait: Grotesque 
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
30 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (300)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Blackshard Warhost (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

Aha yes it was the Venomous BR! Nice looking army!

Gotta say that video made me like the Mortar - crushing the enemy wizard with that was insane and it seems pretty decent when next to a Daemonsmith.

Do you think Skullcrackers make good inclusions to cover the Melee side of things? Parking it next to some Ironsworn and unleashing 4D6 hits seems pretty gnarly, not to mention is a decent size model to cover the battle line. Same with Shar'Tor, he seems like a total beast and some great insurance against any enemy heroes who make it through the guns.

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

Aha yes it was the Venomous BR! Nice looking army!

Gotta say that video made me like the Mortar - crushing the enemy wizard with that was insane and it seems pretty decent when next to a Daemonsmith.

Do you think Skullcrackers make good inclusions to cover the Melee side of things? Parking it next to some Ironsworn and unleashing 4D6 hits seems pretty gnarly, not to mention is a decent size model to cover the battle line. Same with Shar'Tor, he seems like a total beast and some great insurance against any enemy heroes who make it through the guns.

Skullcracker is always worth it.  Last tournament he threw 20 attacks at the enemy horde, in which 10d3 wounds were suffered.

12 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Skullcracker is always worth it.  Last tournament he threw 20 attacks at the enemy horde, in which 10d3 wounds were suffered.

From my experience they're pretty tanky too so they have staying power. In my last game against death, it kept forcing my opponent to move more units to try and kill it, by the time we called the game there were 3 units attacking it and another one she was moving from her other flank. Its such a badass model too, I really hope they bring it back. I lucked out and got one maybe a month or two before the stopped making them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lobeau said:

From my experience they're pretty tanky too so they have staying power. In my last game against death, it kept forcing my opponent to move more units to try and kill it, by the time we called the game there were 3 units attacking it and another one she was moving from her other flank. Its such a badass model too, I really hope they bring it back. I lucked out and got one maybe a month or two before the stopped making them.

Yeah same too, i was about to buy one and then boom! they hit the Out of Stock button... WE WANT THE SKULLCRACKER BACK!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entombet said:

Dont think they ever come back. We will see chd made by gw for aos.

I am very sceptical on GW taking back the Legion of Azgorh to made them a whole plastic range. FW is purposely there to offer complement to Warhammer (and 40k) univers. FW is not a competitor to GW, therefore if a model exist in FW it won't exist in GW and vice-versa. We can only hope FW bring new addition to the Legion of Azgorh more than seeing GW taking back the whole range.

15 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I want 2 more.  Seriously.  4 skullcrackres, 4 magmas.

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Lord of War
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
30 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (300)

War Machines
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 138

First try. That could be bonkers. Not sure how the heck it'd work

here's the requested 4x4

I'd legit play the one above. Could gnash and hold objectives. 

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Lord of War
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 120

12 hours ago, Qcbob025 said:

therefore if a model exist in FW it won't exist in GW and vice-versa.

Except Horus Heresy. Because...space marines! (and the apocalypse stuff, but that was a decade ago)

But man I miss the days when FW was suppose to be the "test bed" for warhammer.

Dear God,

After months of convincing myself, I've decided not to start another army, especially Chaos Dwarfs. No new army until I finish all my projects.

Ścibors Tzar on Warbull is coming my way :X

I've decided to avoid FW as much as possible - due to their recent abysmal quality I've seen (7mm gaps on WH40K Baneblade) and pricing that does not go hand in hand with said quality, so I went with other producents.

Norba miniatures caught my eyes with their Infernal Dwarfs miniatures - they are dirt cheap and look good.

Does anyone have any experience with that product? 

2 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Dear God,

After months of convincing myself, I've decided not to start another army, especially Chaos Dwarfs. No new army until I finish all my projects.

Ścibors Tzar on Warbull is coming my way :X

I've decided to avoid FW as much as possible - due to their recent abysmal quality I've seen (7mm gaps on WH40K Baneblade) and pricing that does not go hand in hand with said quality, so I went with other producents.

Norba miniatures caught my eyes with their Infernal Dwarfs miniatures - they are dirt cheap and look good.

Does anyone have any experience with that product? 

No, scibor is ugly.  Never had a FW problem.

Was talking about Norba Miniatures since I did not come around a lot of information about them. And their dwarfs look solid.

Forgeworld during the recent year took a huge nose dive. Baneblade with gaps, Skaven Warlord on Broodmother that was so soft on the edges and bloated that I've spend few hours grinding his crotch down so he can fit in the saddle. Worst then Chinese recasts.

Ścibor is a glorious sculpture if one likes more grimy looking miniatures instead of "fantasy dwarf with a skull in beard" one. But it is a matter of taste. Going off brand is not an economic issue - I simply feel that, at this moment, FW is extremely overpriced and underperforming. And I want an army that looks good to me, not an army of price tags and receipts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Was talking about Norba Miniatures since I did not come around a lot of information about them. And their dwarfs look solid.

Forgeworld during the recent year took a huge nose dive. Baneblade with gaps, Skaven Warlord on Broodmother that was so soft on the edges and bloated that I've spend few hours grinding his crotch down so he can fit in the saddle. Worst then Chinese recasts.

Ścibor is a glorious sculpture if one likes more grimy looking miniatures instead of "fantasy dwarf with a skull in beard" one. But it is a matter of taste. Going off brand is not an economic issue - I simply feel that, at this moment, FW is extremely overpriced and underperforming. And I want an army that looks good to me, not an army of price tags and receipts. 

The right attitude :)

have a rep cookie :)