AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Thx @Nikobot. That means that 3 of the new box may be a good deal to start skyre? (reselling what I don't need)

On that same note, if you go with Skryre allegiance I would recommend adding in 40-80 Clanrats for allies...40 if you want to run 3x3 Fiends. All loadout's are good except for the Windlaunchers. Since you can only build 1 of each thing per box your choices are a bit limited. If I wanted to convert, I would probably just go with 3x3 Warpfire but...that ship has sailed unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

On that same note, if you go with Skryre allegiance I would recommend adding in 40-80 Clanrats for allies...40 if you want to run 3x3 Fiends. All loadout's are good except for the Windlaunchers. Since you can only build 1 of each thing per box your choices are a bit limited. If I wanted to convert, I would probably just go with 3x3 Warpfire but...that ship has sailed unfortunately.

What? Stormfiends can't be built with 3 identical builds? Only one of each weapon per set? that's you're telling us? 

10 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

What? Stormfiends can't be built with 3 identical builds? Only one of each weapon per set? that's you're telling us? 

I'm saying that each box only comes with 1 of each weapon, so yes, with 3 boxes you could at most build 3 of each weapon. Hence why my fiends are 1x3 Warpfire, 1x3 Shock Gauntlets and 1x3 Grinderfists.

Edited by Gwendar

Eh, it sucks but honestly they're easy to kitbash using various bits... like 40k Flamers for Warpfire Projectors.

They can be magnetized pretty easily since you really just need to magnetize the weapons themselves and not the entire arm or anything like that. I think somewhere in this forum someone has shown theirs off but there should be tutorials on youtube if not.

47 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm trying to build a list with all of this. It is around 1500points.

But I'd like to add thanquol & boneripper  in warscroll builder : I can't find hil in the warscroll builder !!! could you help please? Where is he? (I love that mini and he seems to be a beast (glass canon like) )

Thanquol needs to be allied in as he is Masterclan and not Skryre. He's...alright? If anything a good distraction carnifex. Most people get the best use out of him by running him with a Deceiver to teleport within Warpfire range but you wouldn't be able to do that under Skryre Allegiance due to ally points limit of 400, which is Thanquols cost.

I was building a list like this one: I think that it is fluffy....and my bet is that in the upcoming book, thanquol will be a pure skaven even skryre, not an ally. (Not optimised yet, but just an idea)

Allegiance: Skryre

LEADERS Arch Warlock (140)

Thanquol and Boneripper (400) - Warpfire Projectors

UNITS

3 x Stormfiends (290)

3 x Stormfiends (290)

3 x Stormfiends (290)

40 x Clanrats (200) - Rusty Spear

WAR MACHINES Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

TOTAL: 1970/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 125 LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 2/4 ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/400

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I was building a list like this one: I think that it is fluffy....and my bet is that in the upcoming book, thanquol will be a pure skaven even skryre, not an ally. (Not optimised yet, but just an idea)

Allegiance: Skryre

LEADERS Arch Warlock (140)

Thanquol and Boneripper (400) - Warpfire Projectors

UNITS

3 x Stormfiends (290)

3 x Stormfiends (290)

3 x Stormfiends (290)

40 x Clanrats (200) - Rusty Spear

WAR MACHINES Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

TOTAL: 1970/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 125 LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 2/4 ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/400

As it currently stands however, Thanquol is an ally as well as Clanrats and thus your list is illegal. I wouldn't write lists for a book we are months away from getting since anytime there is a new book, most\all warscroll get updated as well as point values. More than likely Clanrats will be battleline for all Clans, but as of right now that isn't the case.

If you're set on keeping Thanquol, I would use the 200 points from the Clanrats on an Engineer and some Endless Spells or Warpfire-Throwers instead.

Assaid above, this is just an idea starting around the units we got with 3 boxes of upcoming dual army box, just added the thanquol.

I'm not in an hurry, I'll complete it according to the book that will be out for (pretty) sure this year. For now, I have tons of plastic to assemble and paint :P

ty BTW

I managed to strike gold and get three sets of warpfire projectors on a bits site, so I'm currently building two new units, one full flamers, one full shock gauntlets so that in the end I have 2x warpfire projectors, 1x shock gauntlets and 1x mixed. Having an airbrush makes painting them sooooooo much easier too.

Oh no, then I'll have three more from the new box 😅

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I managed to strike gold and get three sets of warpfire projectors on a bits site

Oh, I hate you... but I do wonder if we will see an influx of bits from people piecing things out of the new box.

I've considered grabbing some 40k flamers to go full Warpfire, but with an impending update I would rather wait to see how everything potentially changes.

That's been my worry and why I'm holding off. I think I've had this discussion elsewhere and people have questioned why they would get nerfed.. But who knows. A lot of the new stuff has been pretty powerful, but since Skryre is so heavy on MW's, it does make me wonder if things will change. I think seeing what the doom rocket does may be an indicator. 

Hi guys, I had a question about the warp lightning cannon that came up during my first game with Clan Skryre yesterday. 

So you roll the power dice and then after that 6 dice to determine if you cause any mortal wounds. Do those six dice count as rolls to hit? 

It was questioned if a command trait that allows re rolls to hit would affect it, whether it would be affected by the -1 to hit a character and by the rule of 1 is always a fail. 

Im sure this has been covered somewhere but I don’t know where so thought I’d ask here! Thanks in advance! 

26 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Hi guys, I had a question about the warp lightning cannon that came up during my first game with Clan Skryre yesterday. 

So you roll the power dice and then after that 6 dice to determine if you cause any mortal wounds. Do those six dice count as rolls to hit? 

It was questioned if a command trait that allows re rolls to hit would affect it, whether it would be affected by the -1 to hit a character and by the rule of 1 is always a fail. 

Im sure this has been covered somewhere but I don’t know where so thought I’d ask here! Thanks in advance! 

No this six dice rolls do not count as hits.

in other words your attack cannot be affected by any buffs that would negate or do the opposite to it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Coyote said:

Stormfiends - Best ranged weapon?  Or best equipment to model?

Hey there - starting an escalation league (starts at 500 pts) putting together my Stormfeinds - I’m going to model Warpfire projectors - is this a mistake for a 500 pts game?

Warpfire all the way, but some people love the Ratlings guns. I never did well with them, so I replaced them with Grinderfists. For ranged, just avoid the Windlaunchers. For melee, Shock-Gauntlets are great against anything (hordes in particular) when +hit buffed and Doomflayers\Grinderfists are wonderful against high-armor targets. I run 1x3 Warpfire, 1x3 Shock-Gauntlets and 1x3 Grinderfists. In a 500 points game, newer players may have some gripes about getting hit with 6d3 MW's, but I always warn newer players about what they can do.

1 hour ago, tolstedt said:

Can you take an enginecoven battalion independently without taking the clan skryre battalion?  

No, 1 Battalion needs a minimum of 2 Engincovens and Enginecovens cannot be taken without a battalion.

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

No, 1 Battalion needs a minimum of 2 Engincovens and Enginecovens cannot be taken without a battalion.

I wonder if enginecovens will be a building block for other skryre battalions in future? Possibly get some customizations when you select them... 

Or what could skryre get in the way of DoK temples? Tech-Laboratories? Tech-schools? 

Laboratory of extreme explosiveness

Laboratory of extreme speed 

Laboratory of shooting deadliness 

Some ideas to give a whole army some flavor?

@Nikobot It's honestly hard for me to guess what they would do for them. Picking a "warp-tech college major" could be nice but I do think the battalions are mostly fine as they are, despite the fact you are kind of forced into specific builds at 2k due to their tax price. Other than generic points drops, I think covens having more 0-X options to reduce the amount of tax units would be nice for customization.

I really have to wonder how warpfire, WLC's and Doomwheels are going to change. I would love to use the wheel, but as it stands it just does absolutely nothing. I really can't wait to see the warscroll for the Bombardier... I think that could give us some insight into their plans.

@Gwendar Skryre truly deserve the gloomspite gitz treatment (love and expansion) out of all the Skaven clans and there's a heap of things they could do with them, the imagination runs wild which is probably what makes it hard to guess haha!

Whilst they don't need a "warp-tech college", it might be what they give them if they don't expand them much at this time. I think the "DoK temples/BoC Greatfrays" is something they use to bring variety without the addition of lots of new models.

I don't see an issue with warpfire, the range is adequately short to limit its deadliness. It was more of a problem 12-18 months ago but with the new armies, they have even more dangerous tools and rules!

WLC's may not change, they aren't cheap and with so many armies having deepstrike now, they need protection often.

Doomwheels are terribad, even the points drop was immediately dismissed as inadequate. their rules are just bad. I realised that their PRIMARY weapon, the warp lighting has a worse weapons profile than a single Gloomspite fanatic! ugh. needs major overhaul.

Overall, I'd like to see for Skryre (I don't know what new tome we are getting, but if it was Skryre)

• Acolytes - new plastic multi-kit
    • Globadiers - same as now
    • Warp-pistols - dual pistol wield, something like 12" range, 2a, 4+, 3+, -1, 1 dam, lightly armoured
    • Mech-fists and razor saws - dangerous melee option in heavy armour, save 4+
    • Rocket-pack option, allow some sort of 12" fly move but hazardous for the above
  • Stormfiends - kit is good
    • basically the same, id like to see doomflayers, ratling guns and poison wind variants improved and overall cost adjusted up
    • maybe a new rule to over-charge weapons a bit
  • Doomwheel - kit is good
    • total rules overhaul needed, total war version just flies, if that hits something its going to do a lot more damage than current!
  • Doomwheel Hero - use current kit like Prince Vhordrai
  • WLC - fine as is
  • weapons teams - dont know what they will do with the kits, obviously some need an update, they might make a new multi-kit box to cover them all. or they may use the isle of blood warpfire/mortar... dont know
    Allow weapons teams to form units 1-5
    • warpfire - rules fine, points up depending on new allegiance/special rules
    • ratling gun - rules fine, same as above
    • poison wind mortar - ummm, probably only useful with points drop or with new buffs, but ok ish, possibly overcharge for better power?
    • warp grinder - fine
    • doomflayer - overhaul, this never sees daylight, increase wounds to 4-5w making this more of a unit, and more damage and point it appropriately
    • Jezzails - not a weapon team i know.. hurt by new meta. not that good, probably ok as is provided they have buffs available and maybe points drop
    • NEW warp-lighting weapons team... mini WLC?? short range, 12" hit 3 targets with warp lighting bolts like arch warlock spell
    • NEW doom rocket weapons team, a big rocket that makes a might crater
  • Giant Explosive Rats - new models plastic
    • NEW giant rat variant that have been booby-trapped with explosives and run across the board on kamikaze runs, every combat phase they have a chance to detonate, but may not go off and may just get killed 
  • Arch-warlocks - model is great.. need plastic
    • needs command ability which is all about overcharging and doing more damage!
  • Warlock engineer - new models plastic needed
    • need ability that buffs weapons teams aka lord ordinator aka empire engineer... they all get it, why not us?
  • Warlock bombardier
    • cant wait to see what he can do!
  • Warlock enginemaster
    • ability to buff the big tech, doomwheels/WLC
  • Scenery piece - Warp Condenser Pylon
    • central piece of scenery that buffs all skryre tech within range and enhances spellcasting
  • Allegiance Ability
    • Warpstone shards - fix shards, terribly nerfed the extra damage, expand it out so it does different effects on different units and think about it properly, nothing wrong with being able to buff a ratling gun to do +1 damage if it could mean it dies. the re-roll casts is good
    • strength in numbers
    • Skryre techgizmos - Every warlock gets to choose a techgizmo upgrade,  which is a mini artefact, once per game use
  • Battalions
    • Clans Skryre battalion - good as is, but maybe less tax as Gwendar said, 0-X for certain units is better in some of the covens
      Introduce some new covens for variety also possible
    • Stormfiend focused battalion - something to buff them
    • Spellcasting focused battalion
  • Schools/Laboratories of Tech - to give variation on army builds, each with a focus on different extremes
    • Lab of extreme speed - buffs all mechanical to move faster inc stormfiends
    • Lab of overwhelming explosiveness - various weapons special issue, more damage on wound roll of 6
    • Lab of artilleristic death - focus on long range weapons improvements
  • New Spelldeck of warp energies - damage heavy
  • New Artefacts
    • Magic/casting focused
    • Tech focused - buffs to units
    • Weapons
  • New TechGizmos list as per allegiance, things like
    • re-roll 1s to hit on a units shooting weapons, once per game
    • Add +1 MW caused to a warpfire weapon, once per game

I think without too many new models you would have a very interesting faction, it would primarily become workable based around the expansion of acolytes and their variants i feel. the rest is just dialling up inherent Skryre flavour to an 11!

anyway, this is just an imagination download just for fun :)

• Like 1

@NikobotOh, definitely. I think we are obviously due for some model updates so I would prefer the Gitz route over, say, the BoC route. 

All your points here are pretty great, actually... I think when I worry about Warpfire\Cannons, it's more along the lines of worrying that they won't hamper Skryres MW output ability and start making them work like 40k Flamers (hit automatically, but still have to roll wounds\saves). All in all though, I believe you're right and nothing will change on those fronts. Oh yeah, and my favorite ideas were the Acolyte ones, we absolutely need a decent screening unit made in plastic that actually has some value so we aren't forced into taking 40-80 Clanrats. While I do expect Clanrats will be made battleline for all Clans, I would still really love a good in-between unit with buffed up Acolytes.

What I want the most is a buff to our wizards (Grey Seer especially) and spell lore to take us closer to Tzeentch\LoN level of spellcasting. I think that in combination with Skryres toys would make a wonderful specialization and playstyle.

I actually want them to nerf warpfire weapons (especially for stormfiends) but not because I want to ruin stormfiends. On the contrary I think warpfire stuff is the reason they are so bloody expensive. If they nerf warpfire (even something like giving it a hit value or making rule like "roll dice, if it is equal or under enemy unit size do 2d3 mw" would suffice) and give shock gauntlets unmodified 6 (this will happen extremely likely, whether you like it or not, as they have done so with so many of the recent btomes)  and change warpgrinder to d3 damage (because I know some would spam mass warpgrinders with multiple hit boosts) with more reliable deepstrike (2+ instead of 3+), they could easily slash like 40p off stormfiends point cost. And I personally would love slightly worse stormfiends for significantly lower price which would mean that it is more of a buff than nerf almost. The gas weapon should still be buffed though (like +1 to wound rolls).

Second thing people need to consider with the impending new battletome: You know it, I know it, gautfyre skorch is either gonna be deleted or nerfed to the point that it no longer works as well as it used to. Some of the other engine covens might survive as their own battalions but gautfyre is gonna more or less die. My evidence? Literally every battalion gw has released since these modern battletomes started releasing. The time of these super impactful kill-everything battalions is basically over. Also anything that allows deepstriking closer than 9" needs to have a really good reason for it, and I don't see gw thinking that mass mortals on face is any good reason as it is anti-fun mechanic (even with my proposed warpfire nerfs).