AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

It's all legitimised now

Q: When choosing an army for a Pitched Battle, what publications can I use without my opponent’s permission?

A: You can use the warscrolls for units with a Pitched Battle profile listed in the General’s Handbook 2020 (excluding those listed in the Legends Pitched Battle Profiles section) and the warscrolls for units with a Pitched Battle profile in a publication that has a release date of August 2020 or later. In addition, when choosing your army, you can use rules from any of the following publications

Tome Celestial: The Emerald Host – White Dwarf December 2019

• Like 1

For visibility and clarification:

Legendary Battalions: Update

"So we sat down and had a good, hard think and realised that a ready-made solution was right in front of us, at least in terms of White Dwarf. Digital back issues of White Dwarf containing Tome Celestial content are available to purchase, and so we have updated the General’s Handbook 2020 designer’s commentary to provide a comprehensive list of which publications can be used in Pitched Battles (2020) without your opponent’s permission. This now includes all Tome Celestial content preceding the 1st of August 2020, so anyone who has laboured over painting the Emerald Host or Vokmortian’s Tithe Legion can now rest easy as their army doesn’t require an opponent’s permission to play against. And any Tome Celestial rules released after this date are in the same, fully-supported boat – good news for anyone frantically painting squigs for the Jaws of Mork!"

General's Handbook 2020: Designer's Commentary, October 2020

"Q: When choosing an army for a Pitched Battle, what publications can I use without my opponent’s permission?

A: You can use the warscrolls for units with a Pitched Battle profile listed in the General’s Handbook 2020 (excluding those listed in the Legends Pitched Battle Profiles section) and the warscrolls for units with a Pitched Battle profile in a publication that has a release date of August 2020 or later.

In addition, when choosing your army, you can use rules from any of the following publications and any that have a release date of August 2020 or later:

Tome Celestial: The Emerald Host – White Dwarf December 2019"

So, yes, Emerald Host battalions are back. Still likely won't see them in the AoS app, but they are legal once again. Now I look like a seer for not updating my guide to take them out! Just like I had planned! All along. Yes. Of course. because I knew it... mmhmm. /nod

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Good news, this 👌

AH! That, my friends, is EXCELLENT news. To be 100% clear, when they say:

38 minutes ago, plavski said:

Tome Celestial: The Emerald Host – White Dwarf December 2019

they obviously include all the battalions in there, not just the (fairly useless) Emerald Host? It's the Dolorous Guard I want!

1 minute ago, Thamalys said:

AH! That, my friends, is EXCELLENT news. To be 100% clear, when they say:

they obviously include all the battalions in there, not just the (fairly useless) Emerald Host? It's the Dolorous Guard I want!

Yes. The entry is titled Emerald Host, but it includes the actual Emerald Host, as well as Dolorous Guard and Forgotten Scions.

This is excellent news. My 36 myrmourn banshee list was dead in the water without the forgotten scions battalion. 

And the fact that they admitted that their previous ruling was unclear and caused confusion is great to see from them, as they rarely own up to mistakes (40k app as an example). 

I am all aboard the spook train once again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

And the fact that they admitted that their previous ruling was unclear and caused confusion is great to see from them, as they rarely own up to mistakes (40k app as an example). 

Yeah my thought exactly. Nice for a change to deal with a company that dares to admit bad moves. Don’t think anyone will throw stones at them for doing so. 

36 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Very cool paintjob. Simple but spooky and clean t the same time.

Thanks. The flames are actually a more fluro violet but I was tweaking them in photoshop and will probably go to this. 

I Like the subtle purplish black better. 

Pretty excited to get back to this project now. 

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

Yeah my thought exactly. Nice for a change to deal with a company that dares to admit bad moves. Don’t think anyone will throw stones at them for doing so. 

Yeah, and a surprising amount of people being vocal about how they knew this all along, it was always obvious, lol, OK 🙄

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Nice! I am just glad somebody is getting some use out of their Glavewraith Stalker models. 

Mine are just sacrificed for conversion bits lol.

*looks at his 32 Glaivewraiths* Man, I put so much work into my Hexwraiths, but I'd be lying if I didn't want to do the same conversion.

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

*looks at his 32 Glaivewraiths* Man, I put so much work into my Hexwraiths, but I'd be lying if I didn't want to do the same conversion.

I still like the old hexwraith models. They would be A- models in any other faction. Nighthaunt just has some of the best models in the game so they look a bit dated by comparison.

Ya know if they would just make Stalkers relevant and update our redundant/useless characters, it would go a long way toward making us more competitive. 

Question about the Deloras Guard battalion... I currently use double Deathrider battalions, which boosts the ability to get the Wave of Terror and gives you a +1 to charge.  It requires a black coach though, and I am not super impressed with them.  Deloras Guard gives +1 attack on charge, does that apply to the Wave of Terror combat also?  Seems like I could potentially move away from Deathriders, but I am a 3 drop with them and I would go up in drops swapping to the DG battalions.  As a Hexwraith affictianado which is the better battalion does everyone think?

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

Question about the Deloras Guard battalion... I currently use double Deathrider battalions, which boosts the ability to get the Wave of Terror and gives you a +1 to charge.  It requires a black coach though, and I am not super impressed with them.  Deloras Guard gives +1 attack on charge, does that apply to the Wave of Terror combat also?  Seems like I could potentially move away from Deathriders, but I am a 3 drop with them and I would go up in drops swapping to the DG battalions.  As a Hexwraith affictianado which is the better battalion does everyone think?

Yes, the +1 attack works with wave of terror. It just says "if they have made a charge in the same turn" not mentioning any particular phases. 

I use dolorous guard firstly to make my Olynder a tank and treat the +1 attack as a nice to have thing. With a cp from a KoSoES with a charge increases the dmg output of a hexwraiths unit by 100% which can be surprisingly good. A unit of 10 horses hit like the where 20, all in range to the target. we can even use a vampire lord as an ally to give them an additional attack as well. 10 hex hitting like 25, for 50 rider attacks and 50 horse attacks. 

I dont own a black coach so have never tried the deathriders battalion. 

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

The wording exactly is "Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons used by units from this battalion that have made a charge move in the same turn." This means that once you have satisfied the conditional of making a charge move, that unit will have +1 attacks in all phases until the turn ends. So, yes, a WoT proc would have +1 attacks, and would carry over to the combat phase after.

Personally, I prefer anything I can control the benefit of. Wave of Terror is a huge, huge increase in our damage and is our defacto best ability. But it's also very rare, even with Deathriders. Too rare, at least, to reliably use when you need it. You often end up spending CP just at chances to roll for it. In contrast, a solid +1 to attacks whenever they charge is definible, predictable, and only requires you can charge to make it happen. Also, the horses get this bonus, too.

Since the power of Hexwraiths come from rolling 6s you are looking at either throwing 16 dice (5 models, 2 attacks each, 3 for the leader, all getting +1 attacks) with DG on every charge, or a potential 22 dice (5 models, 2 attacks each, 3 for the leader, attacking twice as a unit) with WoT Deathriders charge at 28% chance each attempt. That would average out to 6 wounds (2-3 mortals) you can count on vs 9 wounds (6-7 mortals) you might only get half of.

Oh, since you might want to spend a CP either way, spending it on All-Out Attack increases the wounds to 7 on average for a DG unit. If you had a Knight of Shrouds that CP would average 8 wounds. A KoSoES would average 9. But all of these would only happen during the combat round.

Edited by EnixLHQ

So my dilemma is that my army is currently a 3 drop and almost always means I get to go first.  This lets me win by objectives often as I can snag objectives and then grind it out in the enemy deployment zone.  The Deathriders add the Dreadblades into their battalions.  In the DG battalion it is only the Hexwraiths, so any and all leaders becomes extra drops.  That said, I saw there was another battalion that was mKOS and x2 Dreadblades that lets the mKOS use his command ability for free once a turn.  So... seems like all of my Hex's can be in one battalion, and all the leaders in another, making me a 2 drop.

However... with the points drops I was able to 'upgrade' my mKOS into Reikenor the Grimhailer, which means I had an almost completely guarenteed Cogs for the +2".  So by taking a mKOS and his two dreadblades into a battalion, and the Hex's into the DG... I am at two drops but I lose almost all of my movement buffs. Although... having dropped all the Black Coaches means I can likely just throw Reikenor in as a third drop... Hmmm... I had actually been relieved that the DG was made not legal because then I didn't have to make all these decisions...  *shakes fist*

3 hours ago, Nevar said:

Hmmm... I had actually been relieved that the DG was made not legal because then I didn't have to make all these decisions...  *shakes fist*

😆 It's a good problem to have!

You could always try something new and see how it works out. Give a new config a couple of tries to get the feel of it. If you hit up my guide (link is my sig or in my bio) you can see how I build around the DG. Yeah, you won't be winning any drop wars, but you might like how it plays to explode with a vengeance going second.

Oh, and here's the Emerald Host if you were looking for it.

Emerald Host.png

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2