Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Suffocating Gravetide (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 

I haven't settled on spells and artefacts yet... thinking something with a -1 to hit on the LOC to help against shooting.  Obvs. the LOC is the general... 

The horrors, if positioned well, taking into account splitting, give a minimum of 150 wounds worth of chaff (more possibly with fold reality and using fate dice for ones on battleshock

The endless spells, used thoughtfully, are not just MW generators... there bases take up space and block movement, and can  force difficult choices around things like turn order.  Also, the bonus of it being unexpected, kind of bonkers, and confusing to the opponent.  Also forces the opponent to choose between dispelling them or casting there own spells.  

Purple sun and the knowledge that fateweaver can dial the effect roll to a 6 and cause 2D6 mortal wounds is a threat (beyond its normal possibilities)

We have enough reliable casts on our turn to remove the endless spells that we need to either for recasting, or just to access sections of the board the spells were occupying.

I am going to run this in a couple local tournaments next month, I will report back, but I am also super interested to hear if anyone else has been doing something like this, and how it has been going.

I think it is worth swapping in a Balewind Vortex since you are running so many Endless Spells, you are going to want the extra casts.  I would also take Wellspring of Arcane Might to reroll those 1's to cast.

Overall this is interesting, I am not sure that the Maelstrom is worth it for you since you are definitely going to saturate the casting field.  If you can drop enough points for a Curseling (maybe 2 Endless Spells) I think it is worth it to get 2 extra casts.

Curseling was in my first version, pulling him out was what allowed me to go all in on the endless spells, and kinda why I took the malestorm...  the thought was to chuck it down range at another magic heavy army to make thier choices more complicated re dealing with the endless spells.

Have you had much success with the curseling?  I havn't run him in a game yet.. 

On 11/11/2018 at 5:20 AM, mmimzie said:

On the ethereal amulet one real weakness is a really good shooting list (that doesnt currently exist in the current meta). The amulet can help some against that, but that's all I see it being useful for. 

I agree with the tzaangors. They aren't bad persay but i find the amount of space and multiple small units you get from having kairic acolytes.

Was in doubt if give LoC the Mark of Conjurer or Etheral Amulet 'till few minutes of the start of 2° Game but after all I decide for the Amulet. And it was a Lucky Strike!

My opponent bring an Alpha Strike list of Kharadron and my LoC survive the first turn thanks to the Amulet. :D

I9cWZaR.jpg

The game was short and brutal (for him).  With his alpha strike he kills 24 Kairic and halved the wounds of my LoC. After surviving, the LoC cast the Cogs (making him vitually unkillable), set the Spellportal for the Gaunt (who kills 16 on 30 Arkanauts with his spell) and make "ethereal" one of my Enlightened units (tnx to Shyish specific spell) with the Gaunt giveing them Shield of Fate. (No rend  5+ save rerolling 1,2 and 3s)

After some shopping and a brutal charge from the 12 Enlightened with Shaman, my opponent lost 1/3 of his list (at turn 1!) and concede the major victory.

Not a great test for the new setting of the list but all the units do exactly what I expect: Kairic provides good screen, Heroes give me control of Magic and the 2x6 Enlightened hit hard.

2 games: 60 pts and 4000 massacre pts in the league. Next Week I get 2 more difficult matches against DoK and Nurgle. Soon new uptdates.

12 hours ago, Guin said:

Curseling was in my first version, pulling him out was what allowed me to go all in on the endless spells, and kinda why I took the malestorm...  the thought was to chuck it down range at another magic heavy army to make thier choices more complicated re dealing with the endless spells.

Have you had much success with the curseling?  I havn't run him in a game yet.. 

The Curseling helps counter some of the nastier spells out there and he can chuck out two at minimum cost.  I have had a few games where opponents refuse to cast Curse of Years because they are afraid it will rebound on their turn and then I will start casting it on mine (I totally would have).  My concern with the Maelstrom is that it will disproportionately affect you  since this army is very magic heavy.  It also forces you to move it with your endless spell movement lest you have to push through an additional unbind across the army.

Yeah, Cursling is great value if you are playing with realm spells or have lots of endless spells to chuck out. 2 spells a turn isn't great if all you can cast is glean magic and one lore of fate spell. 

Had a game last Friday with 2 units of 3 screamers, mainly just to fill out a Change-host but they were absolutely amazing. Damage output was as meh as ever but unit took a charge then retreated over enemy lines to capture objective, almost single-handedly winning me the game. The -1 to hit combined with 3 wounds each makes then surprisingly hardy for a cheap 5+ save unit, especially since you can cluster them tightly to minimise the attacks they are going to be taking.

After playing a lot of games with Kairics who die to a stiff breeze, and Pinks who kind of only exist to control objectives, I've been really considering adding in some Slaves to Darkness so I can be a little more defensive. Generally I run a bit more balls to the wall and rush forward with my LoC and Gaunt taking the backfield. But I tend to lose on objectives unless the blues can contest well enough. Warriors are a great meatwall and will last a lot longer than  even Tzaangors, I reckon. Plus, a Sorc Lord will allow them to re-roll saves of 1 and generally be a nuisance. For 1k, its rather barebones but at the same time, it will be hard to move. And I simply chose the Ogroid because a Shaman is next to worthless unless you run Enlightened or Skyfires. He's just not super amazing beyond being a fast moving buff bubble.

Allegiance: Tzeentch
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
Ogroid Thaumaturge (180)
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
20 x Tzaangors (360)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 83

So I began playing Tzeench recently by picking up a Changecult box, a LoC, Curseling, and Gaunt Summoner. Loving the magic superiority however ever since my Curseling sent a Comet back into the heart of a Stormcast army, the people in my playgroup dont even put wizards into their army anymore just to keep the Curseling neutered lol. Now I really like the idea of adding in the Changeling and dropping a huge endless spell like a Purple Sun or Pendulum in the worst possible area and nobody can stop it since they thought they "got" me by not bringing a wizard lol. 

So now that I've read through some of the advice I've seen here and my own personal experiences such as Tzaangors looking good on paper but rather meh on the table, and 6 Enlightened of foot being way more scary than I originally thought, here is what I am going for now:

Lord of Change (General)
Incorporeal Form 
Phantasmal Weapons or Ethereal Amulet

Gaunt Summoner with Familiars

Curseling

Changeling 

Tzaangor Shaman

Battleline:
Acolytes x10

Acolytes x10

Pink Horrors x10

Other:
Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc x9

Endless Spells:
Quicksilver Swords

Purple Sun of Shyish

Hello everyone!
Don't mind a fellow Nagash player just strolling in

I have a couple questions about disciples ofTzeentch

• 1. Kairos Fateweaver is a named character, right? And can't take relics or command traits BUT Lord of change is not?
  • 2. Spell: Gift of change: Gift of Change has a casting value of 8. If successfully cast, pick a visible enemy unit within 18" of the caster. That unit suffers a number of mortal wounds as shown in the damage table. If any models were slain by this spell, you can set up a ChaosSpawn under your control within 3" of that unit.
    My question is that it dosen't say "The unit is added to your army" which other summon abilities says. Does this mean that you'll need to have those ChaosSpawns already on your army's point value before the start of the game? (Just like endless spells)
    My friends seems to think he could spawn in an infinite amount of them for free.

Edited by MrRoff

3 minutes ago, MrRoff said:
  • 1. Kairos Fateweaver is a named character, right? And can't take relics or command traits BUT Lord of change is not?

Yup, true.

4 minutes ago, MrRoff said:
  • 2. Spell: Gift of change: Gift of Change has a casting value of 8. If successfully cast, pick a visible enemy unit within 18" of the caster. That unit suffers a number of mortal wounds as shown in the damage table. If any models were slain by this spell, you can set up a ChaosSpawn under your control within 3" of that unit.
    My question is that it dosen't say "The unit is added to your army" which other summon abilities says. Does this mean that you'll need to have those ChaosSpawns already on your army's point value before the start of the game?
    My friends seems to think he could spawn in an infinite amount of them for free.

Your friend is right, but it's hardy infinate. Max one a turn 

5 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Yup, true.

Your friend is right, but it's hardy infinate. Max one a turn 

Don't wanna sound rude, but are you really sure? Other summon spells says that it's added to the army.
But this spell is worded like an Endless spell aka " you can set up a "blank" within/wholly within the caster/unit.
But Endless spells costs point to have in your army.
And ChaosSpawns have a point value of 50 for each model

Edited by MrRoff

Yes, I'm really super sure. The erratered Ogormage's spell has the same wording and works in the same way. Endless spell have specific rules restricting their casting and how many you can have on the table. Always been played this way for every game I've seen including a range of tournaments both independent and at Warhammer world. 

Given spawn are not great and usually get destroyed in the proceeding combat phase, it's not that great, especially considering it does an average of about half the wounds an undamaged LoC's spell does (9 dice, 3+s cause 1 mortal wound). Magister has a similar spell (but only does d3 wounds)

@MrRoff it's free as there are no reinforcement pts anymore and endless spells cost points specifically specifies endless spells, and a spawn is not an endless spell. 

7 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

usually get destroyed in the proceeding combat phase

You can actualy retreat the spawn (atleast for the magister spell). As the spell has no movement requires. Meaning the spawn can act as a road block for your opponents following turn.same with the ogroid, and not moving as I understand it is linked to the spell not any outside rules.

How are disciples of tzeentch? What sort of benefits are included in playing one, other than its heavy emphasis on magic spells? What are some of the good units, bad units, and battalions? How versatile are they, skimming through the warscrolls it appears that most of the units are ranged, do they have issues dealing with heavy melee armies? 

I've been playing various Khorne armies for most of the time I've been playing warhammer and am considering trying out Tzeentch. I'm a little worried that Tzeentch will rely on magic as much as Khorne relies on combat. I'm looking for something more versatile than Khorne and am hoping that Tzeentch's magic is versatile. 

Additionally, if I were to get started with collecting some disciples of Tzeetnch, where should I begin? I'd kind of like some horrors and a lord of change, but I'm unsure if a LoC is going to be useful in smaller games.

9 hours ago, Kharneth said:

How are disciples of tzeentch? What sort of benefits are included in playing one, other than its heavy emphasis on magic spells? What are some of the good units, bad units, and battalions? How versatile are they, skimming through the warscrolls it appears that most of the units are ranged, do they have issues dealing with heavy melee armies? 

I've been playing various Khorne armies for most of the time I've been playing warhammer and am considering trying out Tzeentch. I'm a little worried that Tzeentch will rely on magic as much as Khorne relies on combat. I'm looking for something more versatile than Khorne and am hoping that Tzeentch's magic is versatile. 

Additionally, if I were to get started with collecting some disciples of Tzeetnch, where should I begin? I'd kind of like some horrors and a lord of change, but I'm unsure if a LoC is going to be useful in smaller games.

DoT is a rather strong force currently I'd say it's the 2nd most powerful of the chaos God factions under nurgle. 

Magic is definitely one of our stronger points as we can very quickly dismantle an enemy army's hero back bone and leave the rest of the force fight at unbuffed power.  That said we do have some powerful melee options. 

Enlightens are currently our strongest melee unit bringing some serious pain at high speeds. They are kind of frail, but big units can be maintained by fold reality. 

While the power house unit is definitely quite strong it will only be the bread to your butter. Our next most important aspect I'd say is summoning. A unit or 2 of blue horrors places well on turn 1 can be game winning. 

Our best army to compare ourselves to I would say would be seraphon. As controlling the board with summoning will be your most reliable win condition. However, while we dont get quite as easy summoning as they do (atleast not with out some careful list design), we have the above hard hitting unit and many high damage spells that we use to tip the tide of battle in our favor. 

7 hours ago, mmimzie said:

DoT is a rather strong force currently I'd say it's the 2nd most powerful of the chaos God factions under nurgle. 

Magic is definitely one of our stronger points as we can very quickly dismantle an enemy army's hero back bone and leave the rest of the force fight at unbuffed power.  That said we do have some powerful melee options. 

Enlightens are currently our strongest melee unit bringing some serious pain at high speeds. They are kind of frail, but big units can be maintained by fold reality. 

While the power house unit is definitely quite strong it will only be the bread to your butter. Our next most important aspect I'd say is summoning. A unit or 2 of blue horrors places well on turn 1 can be game winning. 

Our best army to compare ourselves to I would say would be seraphon. As controlling the board with summoning will be your most reliable win condition. However, while we dont get quite as easy summoning as they do (atleast not with out some careful list design), we have the above hard hitting unit and many high damage spells that we use to tip the tide of battle in our favor. 

Could you elaborate on summoning? What do you summon and for what? I read somewhere in this thread that pink horrors and blue horrors can't split without a hero/wizard or something nearby, but that doesn't seem clear in the book/rules. 

Also, would you show me what a good 1,000 point starter list that could be added to to make a 2k point list might look like? I could make a 1k list of the guys I'd like, but I hardly know what I'm doing, I've never used and rarely fight against tzeentch and as a Khorne player I've only dabbled in magic. Would I be fielding a Lord of Change and/or Enlightens in a 1k list?  

4 hours ago, Kharneth said:

Could you elaborate on summoning? What do you summon and for what? I read somewhere in this thread that pink horrors and blue horrors can't split without a hero/wizard or something nearby, but that doesn't seem clear in the book/rules. 

Also, would you show me what a good 1,000 point starter list that could be added to to make a 2k point list might look like? I could make a 1k list of the guys I'd like, but I hardly know what I'm doing, I've never used and rarely fight against tzeentch and as a Khorne player I've only dabbled in magic. Would I be fielding a Lord of Change and/or Enlightens in a 1k list?  

So we summon via successful spells, but if you look at it that is sort of bad.  Basicly you get 1 pt per success, but each pt ow effectively only worth 10pts in game. Meaning even if you have 10 wizards that that's only 1 unit of blue horrors <IF!> you successfully cast all of your spells. 

Now that gets us to pinks. Pinks are great/bad because you are also paying for 2 units of blue that you only get once they die. The bad part is that them alone means you have to wait several turns your opponent to kill the pinks, and that hoping they aren't smart enough to just not kill them and deny you the blue horrors.  What makes them great is that with a command trait and endless spells you can kill your own models. With quick silver swords you can get an average 4 pink kills a turn  or with the pendulum you can kill 3.5 per unit of pink you keep in range. This is great as its quick summoning that let's you quickly claim the board. More over with destiny dice you can regen yours pinks by forcing battle shock rolls of 1. Lastly, you can get more pinks or kill more pinks after you have damaged the unit, by using fold reality on them.  If you want to go summoning heavy sacraficing your own pinks is the way to go. 

For 1k pts you can do alot of things.  You only have space for one big bad so I'd go either LoC or a decent sized enlightened squad. Always start with a gaunt summoner as he is our most reliable anti horde option. 

Example 1: summoning heavy

LoC mark of conjuration & magical supremacy

Gaunt

10 Pinks

10 Kairic acolytes

10 kairic acolytes

Cogs

Quick silver swords

Example 2: killy

Gaunt summoner

Tzaangor shaman

10 tzaangors

10 kairic acolytes

10 kairoc acolytes

6x enlightens of disc

Shackles(?)

The first kills big units with gaunt summoner and elite ones with LoC and pink horror spells. While primarily relying on heavy summoning to control objectives. The balewind also give you more summoning power

The 2nd has very much a list about just killing stuff with enlightened

Honestly the 2nd one I want a unit of 9 enlightened, but it's hard to fit it in, as the gaunt summoner is too good. I guess if you drop the shaman for a magister and swap the tzaangors for kairic acolytes you could get the 9 man squad. 

Hope this long post helps.

I like the first list with the Pink Horrors and LoC, but how does mark of the conjurer help? Aren't the summoning spells removed? Also what are the acolytes for? Are they just fodder? 

I like the idea of the Gaunt Summoner, LoC, Pink Horrors, and Tzaangor Enlightens. For 2k points could I field those with a Tzaangor shaman and maybe some tzaangor, too? I'm not sure what the acolytes are for, it seems like a lot of shooty units without any protection. 

How necessary is the portal endless spell for DoT and is there a way to purchase endless spells individually or must I buy the malign sorceries? 

47 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

I like the first list with the Pink Horrors and LoC, but how does mark of the conjurer help? Aren't the summoning spells removed? Also what are the acolytes for? Are they just fodder? 

I like the idea of the Gaunt Summoner, LoC, Pink Horrors, and Tzaangor Enlightens. For 2k points could I field those with a Tzaangor shaman and maybe some tzaangor, too? I'm not sure what the acolytes are for, it seems like a lot of shooty units without any protection. 

How necessary is the portal endless spell for DoT and is there a way to purchase endless spells individually or must I buy the malign sorceries? 

Endless spells can only be bought separately via eBay, Facebook marketplace, or bartertown, etc. Or get your hobby on and model your own. Swords should be fairly easy to build with sword bits and green stuff or maybe the swirly pieces from mortis engine or the like.

The reason for the swords is to kill your own models to get blue summoning points fast.

Acolytes are cheap battleline.

2 hours ago, Kharneth said:

So kairic are great shields. They seem squishy, but when you realize how combat works they are really durable. They all die in one tuturtuturn of combat, but they can stop up a 400pt unit for a turn of fight, and then the 2md turn the 2nd unit can hold the line and so on.  They are durable in the way a shield that can only take one hit before breaking is. Sure it dies in one hit, but if that shield absorbs the damage of a nuke than that was worth it. 

I recommend just getting the box set. Honestly of all the armies DoT gets the most use out of them. 

3 hours ago, Kharneth said:

Mark of the Conjurur was FAQ'd. Now adds an additional fate point if you roll a double on successful cast. Since LoC always rolls doubles it means that he gets double fate points on each of his spells.

A couple more questions...

What is the advantage of blue horrors? I get that it's nice that if they die they can come back, but what reason do I have for killing my own pink horrors to make them into blue horrors? Aren't pink horrors better? Even if I turned some of them into blue horrors and then revived them using the icon and a spell, is that really a worthwhile investment? 

Does the Gaunt Summoner use a realmgate to summon a unit of pink horrors or is it not used directly for summoning, but for his unique spell? 

So, acolytes just stand in front of all the wizards and horrors dying to prolong the enemy's advance? Can a LoC, Gaunt Summoner, and 10 Horrors inflict enough damage to an enemy army in 1,000 points? 

Edited by Kharneth

48 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

A couple more questions...

What is the advantage of blue horrors? I get that it's nice that if they die they can come back, but what reason do I have for killing my own pink horrors to make them into blue horrors? Aren't pink horrors better? Even if I turned some of them into blue horrors and then revived them using the icon and a spell, is that really a worthwhile investment? 

Does the Gaunt Summoner use a realmgate to summon a unit of pink horrors or is it not used directly for summoning, but for his unique spell? 

So, acolytes just stand in front of all the wizards and horrors dying to prolong the enemy's advance? Can a LoC, Gaunt Summoner, and 10 Horrors inflict enough damage to an enemy army in 1,000 points? 

It's a position thing.  

Pinks walk up 6" blues can be summoned in with fate and spit points 12" away from a hero and 9" from an enemy. Which means they can split the battle field in half. And almost always appear in range to shoot with a shooting attacks good(bad) as the pinks.  And likely the pink unit will leave and have a shot and rolling for battle shock to get more models In the unit. 

Tldr:

Cutting the board in half can be near auto win against some armies, and part of a win otherwise

You dont kill all pinks and get more than normal battle shock test, which means more free pink horrors

Do you ever spend fate points on blue horrors? Do you save them for pink horrors, or something else?

The blue horrors can be set up anywhere near the characters, so does it matter that the pinks move up 5" (where do you get 6 from?)? What does cutting the board in half mean? Do you mean like divide the forces?

Does a summoning army drown the enemy in flaming shooting attacks? I imagined that the magic was the power/threat of the horrors. I imagine I might use a destiny die here or there for the battleshock tests on the pink horrors. Can they ever go above starting strength?

I really appreciate the help, this is the kind of Tzeentch trickery Khorne warned us about. I think I understand the LoC and Gaunt, though. With +2 fate points for each spell cast from the LoC and cog giving it an extra cast each turn I can generate 6 there, 2 from the Gaunt, and another from the horrors which means I'll be summoning blue horrors from turn 1. 

Would you give me an example of what you'd do against, for example, skaven? Hellpit abomination, 2 units of 20ish clanrats, warpflamethrower, 3 flamethrower ogres, grey seer, rat hero(?). You talk about using summoning and the acolytes for positioning, but I'm afraid I'm not sure quite what you mean. 9" away means I can only block 6" of enemy movement. 

I bought the starter kit with 10 pink horrors, 1 herald, 3 flamers, 3 screamers, and a burning chariot, 10 blue horrors and 10 brimstone horrors, and 3 enlightened/skyfires. I'd like to get a LoC, Gaunt, and 20 acolytes next. I see how much more useful the acolytes are as the tzaangors aren't cheap and I'd like to have some pink horrors, which seem extremely expensive. 

36 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

Do you ever spend fate points on blue horrors? Do you save them for pink horrors, or something else?

The blue horrors can be set up anywhere near the characters, so does it matter that the pinks move up 5" (where do you get 6 from?)? What does cutting the board in half mean? Do you mean like divide the forces?

Does a summoning army drown the enemy in flaming shooting attacks? I imagined that the magic was the power/threat of the horrors. I imagine I might use a destiny die here or there for the battleshock tests on the pink horrors. Can they ever go above starting strength?

I really appreciate the help, this is the kind of Tzeentch trickery Khorne warned us about. I think I understand the LoC and Gaunt, though. With +2 fate points for each spell cast from the LoC and cog giving it an extra cast each turn I can generate 6 there, 2 from the Gaunt, and another from the horrors which means I'll be summoning blue horrors from turn 1. 

Would you give me an example of what you'd do against, for example, skaven? Hellpit abomination, 2 units of 20ish clanrats, warpflamethrower, 3 flamethrower ogres, grey seer, rat hero(?). You talk about using summoning and the acolytes for positioning, but I'm afraid I'm not sure quite what you mean. 9" away means I can only block 6" of enemy movement. 

I bought the starter kit with 10 pink horrors, 1 herald, 3 flamers, 3 screamers, and a burning chariot, 10 blue horrors and 10 brimstone horrors, and 3 enlightened/skyfires. I'd like to get a LoC, Gaunt, and 20 acolytes next. I see how much more useful the acolytes are as the tzaangors aren't cheap and I'd like to have some pink horrors, which seem extremely expensive. 

So a summoning arm win on pts. In fact for the most part almost all battle plans require you to score more pts than you opponent. 

By summoning you can create walls of bodies that allow you to secure and score objects and get in the way of your opponents advance. The shooting attacks being only secondary.

The LoC and Gaunt summoner exist to take out important threats alone. You wont be tabling your opponent, but you will kill key targets with the two wizards. 

To fight the list you posted I'd use the LoC to try to kill the warp flame throwing (which might be cause for running the spell portal in your list). The clan rats the gaunt summoner will handle, and the rest you ignore or kill when you get a chance. Use the blue horrors to keep your opponent from advancing on you and to score points.