AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

On 12/10/2023 at 11:48 PM, Blairtiny said:

By knights I meant new bat knights not key word knights

I have 12 horrors, (will probably go to 18), 18 flayers and 100 ghouls

im thinking 

120 ghouls, 40 beast flayers, 40 guard, 18 horrors, 18 flayers and 6-18 (probably 18) bat knights should allow just about any build

ive kit bashed 6 bat knights and all the new heroes so far

i love the variety of builds this book will allow, means I could play same army a different way multiple weeks at game nights whilst saving a min/max list for tournaments 

I was thinking the same thing... then again, I am a madman.

12 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Pics please. 

Green stuff work let to do

gargant is my varghulf, (I’ll prob do 3 and use in gargant army)

the knights are mournfang with cold one riders that have ghoul arms/heads(my ogres are a Dino riders, all ogre riders on aggradon so had spare mounts and have heaps of old cold one riders so it works). I will “dead th up” a bit more and paint will fit my other ghouls to tie in

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg

IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Got to play my first game with the new rules today. I used the list that I posted earlier, and proxy'ed a model for the Cardinal. It was against my friends Kruelboyz. His dirty tricks sent my Crypt infernals in reserve, which side tracked them for a bit and really set them back on their Noble Deeds points. Turn 1, I teleported my Gorewarden and AGKoRT forward 9 inches from his bolt boys. The AGKoRT gave himself a 5+ ward via charnel conviction. The Cardinal was out of range of anything, so he blessed himself with a 6+ ward just to earn noble deed points. The Cardinal also was on the throne and used rousing oration to generate additional points. Flayers ran into wild woods to be set up for turn 2 shooting. The 3 Morbheg knights charged into his Skumdrekk and dropped him down to just 3 wounds! My deathshriek killed a few bolt boys, but he failed his charge. Skumdrekk killed the three nights with his return hits.

His turn 1 he fired into my AGKoRT with his bolt boys and the 5+ ward proved invaluable. He then charged Gobsprakk, a unit of gut rippers, and a killaboss into my AGKoRT. I unleashed hell with my deathshriek and killed a few gutrippas. My attack dice were cold, but my save dice were extremely hot. He ended up double turning me, and the AGKoRT took even more punishment. In hindsight I should have used roar instead of delectable appetizers. Their low bravery, combined with the Grim Garland would have made for a brutal battle shock roll. Still, my AGKoRT survived the double turn. My save dice were hot, but I can't emphasize enough how great the 5+ ward is on him. He also maxed out his noble Deeds. 

My turn 2, the Cardinal maxed his noble Deeds as well, and brought back the Morbheg knights. They popped in off his table edge with a shot at charging his bolt boys. My flayers moved up to light up a unit of hobgrots and gutrippers, and then charged them. My AGKoRT shrieked and in combat killed off the final gutrippa, the killaboss, and did 5 wounds to gobsprakk. The flayers mauled the units they charged, the Gorewarden charged the boltboys, and the Morbheg Knights failed their charge. Battleshock wiped out the hobgrots and boltboys. 

I won the roll off, and the game was called for time. He was ahead on points, but it was clear that I was going to pick up a lot of his units this turn, and probably table him in the next turn or two.

Thoughts? My mvp was definitely the AGKoRT. Shadowy Obfuscation kept the killbows from sniping him. Horribly Resilient and delectable appetizers kept him healing, and counting as a priest and being able to chant Carnel Conviction was huge. I was also extremely impressed with the Morbheg Knights. I really want to have a squad of 6. Next time I think I will go with the crusading army delusion. I can deepstrike them with a Gorewarden and they would need a 7 inch charge roll to get in combat. The flayers really would have benefited from the Crypt Infernal, but the dirty trick had them playing catch up. Blisterskin was nice, as I liked the flexibility of prayers or spells. In this case it prevented Gobsprakk from killing my heroes with unbinds. Feeding Frenzy is nice when you get it. I am curious how well I can get deed points on my infernals. Bravery shenanigans can be a legit tactic. Part of me wants to try out an AGKoRZD with the Grim Garland and using blood curdling shriek. Over all I liked what I saw from our book, and am anxious to try out some more lists as I get the models.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My reading of the rule is that you need to have two eligible units in range for the effect to trigger (ie. The Gorewarden and 1 other unit) but I've always found this style of multi-target spell to have pretty clunky wording (like Mirrordance in the DoK book) so I'm not 100 percent certain.

I'm trying to decide if I want the AGKoZD or AGKoTG in the new book. Currently, I'm leaning more towards the Dragon as shutting off Inspiring Presence is good to me and can help if you're going a Bravery bomb route. Obviously, the Terrorgheist can do more damage if you fish for 6s on the bite, but I think the ZD has more consistent damage even if the spell is wasted if you're not taking any other monsters. You can do shriek and Garland combo with the TG screech to make it more likely to do wounds. Not many points in it so that's not too much of an issue. Anyone else got any thoughts between the two? 

I understand the new book isn't out for everyone yet. 

I'd say the TG is a better solo operative if you just want a monster to fly up a flank and hit things (though it is reliant on the spell going off to get any sort of decent damage output.)  Whereas the ZD might be more viable as bit of a support hammer, turning off battleshock and roaring in support of other units.  I'm not sure I'm burning an artefact on Garland in most circumstances, certainly not for a couple of extra MW on a TG shriek.

I'm not sure either monster is going to show up often in very competitive builds, mostly hitting on 4s with low attack numbers is a tough sell, but it's hard to say without getting a few games in first!

Once Usoran is released, I expect he'll be filling the 'big monster' slot of most FEC armies that want to bother with a big monster at all.  I'm definitely feeling / hearing more excitement about the smaller stuff - lots of knight shenanigans, basic ghouls can put out a ton of attacks, the elite ghouls have a ton of utility baked in, and a bunch of the small heroes seem fantastic.  I could definitely see FEC without monsters taking center stage for a while.

Kind of depends on points adjustments though.

32 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

Not to mention the core faction gimmick of unit regen/recursion doesn't do anything for monsters outside of a novelty command trait.

I mean, the ridden monsters do have abhorrant healing built in.  One could draw a parallel to soulblight, where most of their faction traits are about supporting summonables but their hero monsters are still good enough that double-dragon has been one of the main soulblight builds since zombie spam was nerfed..

Then again, vampire hunger is better than abhorrant healing in magnitude, reliability, and timing, and the vampire heroes riding their zombie dragons hit harder and have better saves than their abhorrant equivalents, and most soulblight subfactions have better artefacts & command traits for powering up their generic monster heroes than FEC have, plus they have a bunch of unique monster heroes like the mortarchs and Vhordrai, and Sure Usoran is great, but what he's mostly great at is anchoring & buffing a bunch of peasants and knights.

All in all, it just feels like the torch for undead winged monster mash lists has been passed from FEC to Soulblight, at least for a while.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dunno, d3 healing in your home hero phase only is, like, a joke rule they put on scrolls to trick you into thinking they have survivability!  (Granted, it's more useful on non-monster heroes, who are more likely to be taking chip damage/miscast wounds, and aren't trying to be stuck in combat for multiple rounds.)  I was kinda hoping that they abhorrents, or at least Ushoran, would get the soulblight style healing, given that they're vampires and all, but there's an argument to be made that that rule is way too efficient, so perhaps it's for the best!

6 hours ago, Blairtiny said:

Any ideas on when the rest of the new stuff and a normal book will be released?

The Old World pre order is 6th of January. I still expect Flesh Eaters and the next Dawnbringers book to be released on the 27th of January
according to 
Elarin

Figured if I'm going to be starting this army up I should probably at least do some test models, wound up doing the whole warcry squad.  Pretty basic scheme for the most part, but I'm hoping the basing will draw the eye, I have some bigger swampy effects planned for the larger bases.  Might add some tattoos or something later too, depending how things look when I've got massed units to toy with.

20240101_153657.jpg

20240101_153648.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Lost i tight game vs glomspit.
its hard to get the glory paoints economy to work and i dont know how to remove the squg heard but it was a great game.
Gloomspite Gitz - Army Subfaction: Jaws of Mork - Grand Strategy: Protect da Shrine!
LEADER
1 x Squigboss (110) - General - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
1 x Skragrott, the Loonking (230) - Spells: The Hand of Gork
1 x Fungoid Cave-Shaman (110) - Spells: Merciless Blizzard BATTLELINE
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (150)
36 x Squig Herd (140)
20 x Moonclan Stabbas (120) - Bad Moon Icon Bearer - Moonclan Boss - Gong Basher - 3 Barbed Nets - Stabba
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (150)
BEHEMOTH
1 x Mangler Squigs (260)
OTHER
5 x Gobbapalooza (170) - Spells: Itchy Nuisance 5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (90)
TOTAL POINTS: (1960/2000)
my list
Holowmourn

Marrowscroll Herald (general)(Cruel taskmaster)(charnel vestment - Charnel conviction 100
Abhorrant Archregent  (blizzad) 150
Grand Justice Gormayne 1 140
Abhorrant Gorewarden 1 150 (transformation)
Royal Decapitator 100
Crypt Ghouls 20 160
Crypt Ghouls 40 320
Cryptguard 20 280
Morbheg Knights 6 300
Morbheg Knights 6 300
2000p

419732004_7082722281795121_853078425567979372_n.jpg.2c95e2bf2ea076e91999fa6e6b366602.jpg419852506_7082722325128450_665454894407336077_n.jpg.e7742b674ced2eafb6328df1546615f8.jpg419833537_7082722268461789_285547601106104605_n.jpg.9523355bef7e469d22cca2c7002d6823.jpg
Edited by Fellman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fellman said:
its hard to get the glory paoints economy to work and i dont know how to remove the squg heard but it was a great game.
Gloomspite Gitz - Army Subfaction: Jaws of Mork - Grand Strategy: Protect da Shrine!
LEADER
36 x Squig Herd (140)
20 x Moonclan Stabbas (120) - Bad Moon Icon Bearer - Moonclan Boss - Gong Basher - 3 Barbed Nets - Stabba
BEHEMOTH
1 x Mangler Squigs (260)
OTHER
my list
Holowmourn

Marrowscroll Herald (general)(Cruel taskmaster)(charnel vestment - Charnel conviction 100
Abhorrant Archregent  (blizzad) 150
Grand Justice Gormayne 1 140
Abhorrant Gorewarden 1 150 (transformation)
Royal Decapitator 100
Crypt Ghouls 20 160
Crypt Ghouls 40 320
Cryptguard 20 280
Morbheg Knights 6 300
Morbheg Knights 6 300
2000p

419732004_7082722281795121_853078425567979372_n.jpg.2c95e2bf2ea076e91999fa6e6b366602.jpg419852506_7082722325128450_665454894407336077_n.jpg.e7742b674ced2eafb6328df1546615f8.jpg419833537_7082722268461789_285547601106104605_n.jpg.9523355bef7e469d22cca2c7002d6823.jpg

Details please! I would love to hear some performance evaluations regarding the new units. I have seriously been thinking about running a Hollowmorne army with double gorewarden and 2x6 Morbheg knights. With the Crusading army delusion, they drop down 9 away and get +2 on the charge. They should be a pretty devastating alpha strike.

Why are Crypt Flayers point costed as if they still HAD a mortal wound attack while the Morbheg Knights are point costed as if they DIDN’T?

Seriously though I’m actually happy as part of team Blisterskin. We finally have Priests of The Light, PRAISE THE SUN! Goonhammer may not be too excited about the Abhorrant Gorewarden but the tactical movement shenanigans for Blisterskin have finally blossomed from the incomplete effort in the previous book.

Thank you GW Devs for not taking a baseball bat to the Abhorrant Archregeant. Have to agree with Goonhammer about him being an auto-include. This Noble Deeds stuff is janky and very much feels like a first draft. So anything to get that desperate regeneration this army needs is vital. Oddly I might be most excited about his synergy with the Gorewarden, far enemy units can be swiftly brought into the tranquil loving sunlight with none of that pesky Redeploy silliness.

It would be easy to go on but no one wants to read walls of text. XD

On 1/14/2024 at 10:16 AM, Fellman said:
LEADER
36 x Squig Herd (140)
BEHEMOTH
1 x Mangler Squigs (260)
OTHER

I have been Squigged before a couple times.  It's HORRIBLE.  Best possible thing is to shooty them from a distance, and if you can snipe models from units somehow, get rid of those Grot guys who can bring them back that are included in the unit.  Gotta snipe the Squigboss too.  But it seems that the FEC model recursion should be at least as good as the Gitz have.  Once Ushoran arrives, he will very likely be able to make many things strike last, which would really help in many cases.  I could go on about Squigs and what they deserve, but I'll refrain until they get me again.

15 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Why are Crypt Flayers point costed as if they still HAD a mortal wound attack while the Morbheg Knights are point costed as if they DIDN’T?

Seriously though I’m actually happy as part of team Blisterskin. We finally have Priests of The Light, PRAISE THE SUN! Goonhammer may not be too excited about the Abhorrant Gorewarden but the tactical movement shenanigans for Blisterskin have finally blossomed from the incomplete effort in the previous book.

Thank you GW Devs for not taking a baseball bat to the Abhorrant Archregeant. Have to agree with Goonhammer about him being an auto-include. This Noble Deeds stuff is janky and very much feels like a first draft. So anything to get that desperate regeneration this army needs is vital. Oddly I might be most excited about his synergy with the Gorewarden, far enemy units can be swiftly brought into the tranquil loving sunlight with none of that pesky Redeploy silliness.

It would be easy to go on but no one wants to read walls of text. XD

Yeah, I expect Morbheg knights to get a points increase. I have gotten to use them once so far, and was very impressed. I charged 3 of them into Skumdrekk and very nearly killed him outright. It got me thinking about what a unit of 6 can do. 

As a Blisterskin player I love the utility their new faction ability gives them. Charnel Conviction is a game changer. Throw it on a brick of horrors or AGKoRT and they become really tough to chew through. A trick that I have learned with The Summer Kings Favor, is that it allows you to generate noble Deeds points with ranged attacks. This may be FAQ'ed later, but for now it works. I will be using this to help ramp up my Crypt infernals noble deeds points. Having access to Curse is huge. Send in a horde of ghouls and go to town. Even smite is useful. If you have an abhorrant sitting on the throne to farm noble deed points, it has a huge range and will nab you your noble deed point for chanting it off. So yeah, I think a lot of people are sleeping on Blisterskin.

And I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the Arch Regent and Gore Warden. The Gore Warden deepstrike is impacted by the Arch Regents Carrion Call spell. For example, a Hollowmorne army with the crusading army delusion. The Gore Warden and a unit of Morbheg Knights start in reserve. In the hero phase, the Arch Regent casts Carrion Call. The Gorewarden and Knights deep strike in 9 away, then move a d6. In the charge phase they get a +2 to charge thanks to their musician and the crusading army delusion. So basically they have to make a 1 to 6 inch charge. This is huge potential for an alpha strike. 

On 1/14/2024 at 11:01 PM, bonzai said:

Details please! I would love to hear some performance evaluations regarding the new units. I have seriously been thinking about running a Hollowmorne army with double gorewarden and 2x6 Morbheg knights. With the Crusading army delusion, they drop down 9 away and get +2 on the charge. They should be a pretty devastating alpha strike.

Ok first of im a weary casual player so this might not hold water but i do my best

1 the knights ar great end of story
High moment high damage best save in the book retreat and charg inpact hits and fly and hornblower for +1 charge
love them
deapstrik from gorewarden resurected from tabel age or run and charge for 20 inch moment from goremain i love them

Good hunting good sir and Ushorans speed to you