AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

I know it’s been established that it’s hard to fit the good stuff at 1K due to everything being expensive, is summoning spam the best way to go at 1K to get key pieces like KOS / fiends as opposed to paying points for them ?

whats our best list for 1K to get DP ripe and fast ? 

You'll probably want a Pretenders army at 1k, since Invaders will be too cluttered on a 4x4 board and you don't have enough points/space to really get the most out of Godseekers. So:

Pretenders
Ghur

Heroes
Infernal Enrapturess (140)

Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220)
- General
- Command Trait: Strongest Alone
- Command Trait: Hunter of God Beasts
- Artefact of Ghur: Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell: Soulslice Shard

- Spell: Phantasmagoria

- Spell: Hysterical Frenzy

Units
5 Hellstriders (100)
5 Hellstriders (100)

1000/1000 points

Heralds on Exalted Chariots generate around 5-10 DP in attacks per combat each against multi wound models. Unfortunately, having looked over the phrasing of Feast of Depravities, mortal wounds generated by the Chariot Charge or the Hellflayer start-of-combat 4+ ability do not generate depravity points, as they are neither a spell nor an attack. That said, 15-20 DP in the first fighting combat phase nets you an Infernal Enrapturess if that tickles your fancy, and if all 3 survive until the second combat phase and fight again (assuming they manage to generate the same amount again), you can summon a KoS or 30 Daemonettes (maybe even 40 if you get lucky with the Fane roll!), and this should happen by turn 2 if you're going second. If you're going first, just summon another Bladebringer on Exalted Chariot.

Alternatively, you can pack the following if you want a KoS:

Pretenders

Heroes
The Masque (120)

Bladebringer, Herald on Seeker Chariot (160)
- Spell: Soulslice Shard

Bladebringer, Herald on Seeker Chariot (160)
- Spell: Phantasmagoria

Keeper of Secrets with Sinistrous Hand (360)
- General
- Command Trait: Strongest Alone
- Command Trait: Monarch of Lies/Strength of Godhood
- Artefact: Silverslash (Impaling Claws)
- Spell: Song of Secrets

Units
5 Hellstriders (100)
5 Hellstriders (100)

1000/1000 points

The Masque is excellent at tying up support heroes, especially since they tend to be slower and have poor damage output with attacks. The KoS is an incredible hero killer with Silverslash (4 attacks on 3+/3+/-2/[up to 5]? Yes please!) and Strongest Alone, and your two Seeker Chariots can (almost) keep up with it and act as a screen... and also generate dp while they're at it.

2 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Man, its getting harder to use the  “at least your models don’t rotate out” argument with MTG players...

Aye, but don't forget the bulk of the army hasn't changed much in decades - deamonettes, fiends, chariot, seekers, greater demon. Basically all have been around for ever! Though many have evolved and changed quite a lot in appearance. All have increased in size over time (even just on generation back the seekers were quite a lot smaller as were their riders) and the older chariots were no where near as exotic as the current ones. Though if you wanted you could still legally use a generation 1 army selection of models (though unless you collected loads back then, its going to be one heck of a big ebay and secondhand bill to collect an army like that)

Losing the snake rider and mortal lord is a bit of a blow, but on the flipside the vast majority of models still have a use; heck you can use your old keepers as demonic princes very easily just by putting them on the right base. You can even convert with some wings if you want. 

• Like 1

Just now, carnith said:

Old keepers were on the same bases as daemon princes so nearly no change needed. 

Also you can still use both slaanesh lords as chaos lords and chaos lord on mounts. 

This is mostly a complaint about my archaon list, which is now kind dead in the water.

Also known as a $160 paper weight 

4 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Man, its getting harder to use the  “at least your models don’t rotate out” argument with MTG players...

They just consolidated. The model is still perfectly legal as a "Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount" that has Mark of Slaanesh. It just doesn't have a unique warscroll anymore. 

Just now, themortalgod said:

They just consolidated. The model is still perfectly legal as a "Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount" that has Mark of Slaanesh. It just doesn't have a unique warscroll anymore. 

Unfortunately the warscroll and more specifically the command ability made the 2k army what it was.  

Now, should have known better than to think an old nsfw miniature would have any sort of chance but still. 

Big ol’ waste of money for me.

6 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

Unfortunately the warscroll and more specifically the command ability made the 2k army what it was.  

Now, should have known better than to think an old nsfw miniature would have any sort of chance but still. 

Big ol’ waste of money for me.

Yeah, can't ever depend on rules always staying good. Look at the poor exalted keeper, went from an awesome choice to a "never" take. I have solid $5-10,000 in models that I've collected over the years that currently just have "bad" rules or are compendium. But the model is still usable. Its not like they pulled it from the game. 

Edited by themortalgod

To be fair the exalted can just stand in for a regular keeper now since they are of a like size. Though that said I think a lot of the FW stuff for AoS needs a proper full revision - then again GW just seems not quite sure what to do with FW with regard to AoS - esp when you consider that they've hardly done anything in years. 1 massive khorne dragon (which apparently started life way back for the End of World campaign in Old World" and a selection of alternative stormcast heads. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Overread said:

To be fair the exalted can just stand in for a regular keeper now since they are of a like size. Though that said I think a lot of the FW stuff for AoS needs a proper full revision - then again GW just seems not quite sure what to do with FW with regard to AoS - esp when you consider that they've hardly done anything in years. 1 massive khorne dragon (which apparently started life way back for the End of World campaign in Old World" and a selection of alternative stormcast heads. 

There was even a job posted a couple of years ago looking for someone to lead FW AoS. I applied as there is so much potential, but didn’t get an interview and almost nothing has happened since.

Which is a shame because there are so many more interesting things they could do rather than an alt space marine or a new turret for a tank...

18 minutes ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

Different base size is the annoying bit to doing that. A pain to have to keep rebasing it haha! 

Yeah, I agree, all the base size switching has driven me nuts over the years since the loss of WHFB. I was really worried Nettes would go to 32s but after rebasing every single fantasy model I owned, then rebasing many of them again when the official base sizes came out coupled with rebasing 15 years of space marine collection I am def getting salty about bases. ;) 

4 minutes ago, Kasper said:

For the purpose of generating DP, is the Chariot model with a Herald on it considered a hero, and then generating DP with ALL of the attacks, or only with the actual Herald attacks?

Does the datasheet have the Hero keyword? (it does)
Therefore, all the attacks on that datasheet generate depravity.

5 minutes ago, Kasper said:

For the purpose of generating DP, is the Chariot model with a Herald on it considered a hero, and then generating DP with ALL of the attacks, or only with the actual Herald attacks?

Just now, Overread said:

Would that include the mount though? Ergo the seekers on the chariot

It will. From https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/ENG_AoSSW_Rules_booklet_web.pdf

COMMAND TRAITS

Whether cunning strategist or berserk butcher, every general has a unique style of command... Command traits have no effect on attacks made by a general’s mount unless noted otherwise.

ARTEFACTS OF POWER

These treasures are borne to war by mighty heroes... Artefacts of power have no effect on attacks made by a hero’s mount unless noted otherwise.

Since these are the only 2 to be singled out, these are the only 2 things affected by the mount rules.

8 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Yeah, why not?

Because the warscroll specifically reads  "For the rules purposes, the Daemonettes and Steeds of Slaanesh are treated in the same manner as a mount", which made it sound like those weren't part of the Hero keyword.

Edit: I guess the above sentence is to ensure artefacts on a Herald isn't applied to all the weapons, but only the Herald's attacks.

Edited by Kasper

3 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Because the warscroll specifically reads  "For the rules purposes, the Daemonettes and Steeds of Slaanesh are treated in the same manner as a mount", which made it sound like those weren't part of the Hero keyword.

Where's the logical leap from "these are mounts" to "these aren't part of the hero keyword"? There's an implied logical leap there that I don't understand.