AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, kahadin said:

I'm not sure our math checks out. It seems to be worse just rolling dice. 

it is statistically equivalent when rolling an infinite amount of dice. 

however when rolling small numbers, getting the bonuses will seem less consistent since you are only getting bonus hits off of 6s instead of both 5 and 5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

It's the end of the combat phase, so often the enemy won't have the chance to reposition. Let's say the average number of attacks on a hero is 4 - 4 mortal wounds is a lot to do automatically. You only need to be in 6" to trigger, so it's easy to use it on a fast cheap hero that can sneak around to use it. 

I think they were referencing that the enemy hero must be within 1" of the unit they are going to do MW to...which is true, but it certainly will make your opponent agonize a bit over positioning...because for a hero to be effective they often have to be quite close to the combat.

2 minutes ago, exliontamer said:

I think they were referencing that the enemy hero must be within 1" of the unit they are going to do MW to...which is true, but it certainly will make your opponent agonize a bit over positioning...because for a hero to be effective they often have to be quite close to the combat.

If the hero is fast enough could get it at the top of 1

15 minutes ago, Poryague said:

If the hero is fast enough could get it at the top of 1

Yeah true. I mean basically it's not going to catch the same (savvy) opponent twice. But it will make them have to do a bit more thinking than usual, which is USUALLY an advantage. 

3 minutes ago, exliontamer said:

Yeah true. I mean basically it's not going to catch the same (savvy) opponent twice. But it will make them have to do a bit more thinking than usual, which is USUALLY an advantage. 

Over thinking things could hurt them. Then again with things moving to wholly within they may need the hero basically humping the unit they are trying to buff.

Edited by Poryague

To be honest, I think we are better in combat than Khorne - and this has just cemented my belief. Maybe I played Khorne wrong, but they always felt a bit limp wristed in combat without a  tonne of buffs thrown on them. 

Does make me wonder, will daemonettes get an ability to replace their exploding dice?  They don't need it, but I think all lesser daemons have a 'special' thing that increases in units of 20. 

3 minutes ago, Enoby said:

To be honest, I think we are better in combat than Khorne - and this has just cemented my belief. Maybe I played Khorne wrong, but they always felt a bit limp wristed in combat without a  tonne of buffs thrown on them. 

Does make me wonder, will daemonettes get an ability to replace their exploding dice?  They don't need it, but I think all lesser daemons have a 'special' thing that increases in units of 20. 

Thats a good question. What are daemnettes getting if this is army wide? Or do the daemonettes keep the exploding 6s when allied else where and there ability modifies the new 6 mechanic. So 3 hits on a 5+ when playing hedonites. That would be over kill. Could be a modification to the opponent reroll 6s to hit daemonettes maybe it gets moved to the horde bonus instead of hero nearby.  hero allow REROLL 1 to hit or wound.

1 minute ago, Poryague said:

Thats a good question. What are daemnettes getting if this is army wide? Or do the daemonettes keep the exploding 6s when allied else where and there ability modifies the new 6 mechanic. So 3 hits on a 5+ when playing hedonites. That would be over kill. Could be a modification to the opponent reroll 6s to hit daemonettes maybe it gets moved to the horde bonus instead of hero nearby.  hero allow REROLL 1 to hit or wound.

I'd be happy with that; even something like reroll 6s normally, and 6s always miss in units of 20 or more. Would love their locus to be reroll wounds of 1.  

Khorne is tricky. They do need buffs... But they also have access to more than most. They are kinda lack luster in slug fest but prayers and Judgments should not be under estimated. Khorne requires some serious strategizing on the pilots part, which all seems counter intuitive of their lore. In a way its also be a more rewarding faction to win with for same reasons tho. 

Edit: just to add to that. Some people don't care as much about winning as making a fun/interesting story/experience. I always seen Khorne as the punching bags. They are like the random dudes who show up in a scene of action movie to get swiftly kicked in the face and knocked unconscious. But then there is like a few good fights where the leader of the gang shows up and gives the main character a run for his money. He seems interesting but you probably learn very lil about them but you could probably make a whole movie around just that dude.

Edited by ChaosUndivided
  • Like 1

Hi all,

So the first rules preview for the new Hedonists of Slaanesh book has only been up for a few hours and already I have a potential FAQ-worthy question...

(I know, I know. Chances are this will be made perfectly clear when the book hits, so maybe I’m being a bit too hasty, but I’m a true devotee of Slaanesh and patience is more of a Tzeentian virtue). 

Assuming that it isn’t clarified explicitly when the book hits, how would you interpret the rules interactions below?

E.g:

“Jadewound Thorn: Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons to be the Jadewound Thorn. If the hit roll for that weapon is 6+ that attack inflicts one mortal wound in addition to it’s normal damage.”

“Euphoric Killers: If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made with a melee weapon by a CHAOS SLAANESH unit is a 6, that attack inflicts 2 hits on its target instead of 1.” 

Do you think that this would then apply an additional 2 mortal wounds in addition to normal damage? Technically there was only one ‘hit roll’, but 2 ‘hits’ come from that single hit roll....(?)

I figure (looking carefully at the wording and the use of the words “attack” and “hits” in the rules above), actually it wouldn’t apply 2 mortal wounds as it’s still only 1 ‘attack’?

However, 

There are multiple weapons like this which have extra effects on 6s: the Blade of Carving from Ghur says “if the hit role from an attack from that weapon is a 6+ the wound role for that attack is automatically successful.”

in this case I guess the special effect would have to apply to both hits as they both share the same hit roll(?) and it seems like the only practical way to apply the rule is to apply it to both hits. That makes me rethink my initial thoughts about the Jadewound Thorn as it has very similar wording, so maybe it would apply 2 mortal wounds... 

I dread to think how some people might try to apply the Euphoric Killers rule to the Sword of Judgement... Although the phrase “and the attack sequence ends” for that weapon leads me to think that it doesn’t actually apply any hits. 

Aaargh the confusion. Thoughts? 

I know I bring this up a lot, and I already told GW in both the previous and most recent BIG Surveys...but they REALLY need to get all the rules, FAQs and errata into a searchable online database that is updated/maintained regularly. In fact I would be perfectly happy to pay monthly for access to it, especially if I got access to all the battletomes, etc. The fact that they have started doing regular FAQs and commentaries and stuff is definitely AWESOME. But the information is not super accessible. I mean it often confuses me, I forget where I saw an errata or FAQ, and I am a veteran player. I can only imagine how it is for people who are new to the game... It should not be a baseline requirement to get into the hobby to have to memorize 10-15 locations where there are additions/changes/commentary to the rules that affect your army.

Edited by exliontamer

11 minutes ago, exliontamer said:

I know I bring this up a lot, and I already told GW in both the previous and most recent BIG Surveys...but they REALLY need to get all the rules, FAQs and errata into a searchable online database that is updated/maintained regularly. In fact I would be perfectly happy to pay monthly for access to it, especially if I got access to all the battletomes, etc. The fact that they have started doing regular FAQs and commentaries and stuff is definitely AWESOME. But the information is not super accessible. I mean it often confuses me, I forget where I saw an errata or FAQ, and I am a veteran player. I can only imagine how it is for people who are new to the game... It should not be a baseline requirement to get into the hobby to have to memorize 10-15 locations where there are additions/changes/commentary to the rules that affect your army.

https://aosshorts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/All-FAQs-Mar-19.pdf

AoSShorts always has a single complied PDF of all FAQs. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking demonettes might keep their euphoric killers, but I imagine it will be the same as the previewed ability and not stack. The bloodthirsters get reroll 1 to hit on charge as a warscroll ability still, but the khorne allegiance grants them reroll 1 to hit all the time. 

We will know in a week either way. 

Anyone hoping to see Morathi get a cult of pleasure again? That would be cool. 

1 minute ago, kahadin said:

I'm thinking demonettes might keep their euphoric killers, but I imagine it will be the same as the previewed ability and not stack. The bloodthirsters get reroll 1 to hit on charge as a warscroll ability still, but the khorne allegiance grants them reroll 1 to hit all the time. 

We will know in a week either way. 

Anyone hoping to see Morathi get a cult of pleasure again? That would be cool. 

Cult of Pleasure would be cool to see again, yesss....

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Can you take a Depraved Drove in a Slaanesh allegiance army? Do they count as allies? Cheers. 

Yes, and no, respectively.

• Like 2

Locus of diversion looks to powerfull.

I guess that daemonettes gonna get some tiny nerf becouse of this or double pile in will change.

Also Fiends have so many rules i expect a re-write.

If points/warscrols will remain the same slaanesh looks like Tier 1 Army. Maybe this is the reason iam expecting few balance nerfs.

Taken from a Reddit comment by Dasquian, who tried to skew the Fane of Slaanesh card to be readable:

A Fane of Slaanesh is a focus of worship wrought in precious metal.  [not sure] to the Dark Prince, but in truth it is one of his most exalted greater daemons that peers through.  Those whose offerings meet with the creature's approval are greatly rewarded - but those who offend are harshly punished. 

**DESCRIPTION** 

A Fane of Slaanesh is a single terrain feature.  It is an obstacle. 

**SCENERY RULES** 

**Power of Slaanesh**: A Fane of Slaanesh channels arcane power to the Dark Prince's sorcerers while filling their foes with dread. 

If you spend depravity points to summon a unit to the battlefield, and that unit is set up whollly within 12" of this terrain feature, you may gain D3 depravity points after that unit has been set up. 

**Blessed Conduit**: Slaanesh's minions can make sacrifices at a Fane of Slaanesh to gain martial prowess. 

At the start of your hero phase, you can pick 1 friendly **CHAOS SLAANESH HERO** within 6" of this terrain feature to make a sacrifice.  If you do so, the **HERO** suffers 1 mortal wound and you then roll a dice.  On a 1, nothing happens.  On a 2+ you can reroll hit rolls made by that **HERO** until your next hero phase. 

If that **HERO** has an artefact of power, they can sacrifice the artefact instead of suffering a mortal wound.  [Final paragraph is nigh unreadable due to the artefacts from stretching it]

• Thanks 2