AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

45 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Are Morboys worth taking?  Especially in a Drakkfoot army?  I ask because I have some models from WHFB that I'm rebasing that would now be a Wardokk and 10 Morboys.  I was looking at possibly running a Kop Rukk with Breath of Gorkamorka to get more out of the Drakkfoot clan ability.

It's good infantry. It's pretty close between morboys and regular orruck. Both are the cheapest wound/model per point in the army so most army will include some.

3 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

I was thinking this

1 Maniak wierdnob shaman

20 boys whit stikaks

20 boys whit arrows

5 moarboy boarboyz.

is about 100 wounds whitch seems good for 750. And it gets 30 units.

No tribe so i can make the maniak wierdnob cast an extra spellen and give him +1 to cast. So he can fully support a unit every turn.

My personnal choice would be Weirnob, 30 arrowboys, 5 boarboys, 5 maniack. But your list is good as well :)

3 hours ago, broche said:

My personnal choice would be Weirnob, 30 arrowboys, 5 boarboys, 5 maniack. But your list is good as well :)

Speaking of moarboys. Whould they be better then stikkas in this case.  The spears give more attacks from the front for a 10*2 block and that is nice. But the moarboys get more attacks when ther eare les then 15 left. And  considering  The points only allow for a unit of 20  Might be that the moarboys are better when the take caualties 

From the games I have played, I would suggest Stikkas if you have a unit of twenty.

Being able to get all their attacks in or take a punch a bit better tends to be better than the stronger but shorter ranged Morboys.

For punching stuff I prefer Maniacs - their speed is a big plus for me. Plus ,if you are running Icebone you can do some hit and run/ activation shenanigans. 

Edited by Souleater
Spelling
  • Like 1

I finally got my battle tome and had a chance to go through it. I have a tournament in a month that I would like to attend, and need to update my list.

My old list;

Drakfoot warclan 
Kop rukk 
4x wardokk 
Wurgog 
30 more boys 
30 more boys 
5 boar boys 
Rogue Idol 
Total: 1980

After the changes, I do not think that  the Kopp Rukk is worth it any more. I am keeping Drakfoot as that is how I painted mine.  I also want to keep it caster heavy and the Rogue Idol. That said, here is my new version.

Drakfoot 
Wurgog
3x wardokk 
4 Big Stabbas
30 more boys 
30 more boys 
10 boar boy maniacs 
Rogue Idol 
Total: 2000

The only thing I am on the fence about, is the more boys. Part of me wants to swap them for Savage Orruks with stickas and add 2 more Big Stabbas and a cheap endless spell. Suggestions will be most welcome!

10 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Thanks. That was my understanding as well. The face on you opponent when your pigs move 24 with fly and then retreating 24 after attacking is amazing. I did it this weekend and it was glorious. 

Because it's a retreat move, can you also run? I wasn't sure about that when I did it so I only moved my 24.

Yes you can run 

• Like 1

Heyo, Bosses. As new book released, Drakkfoot had catched my mind as it is a very good anti-meta option. I`m interesting in competitive (although most of the time I`m a TO, not a tournament player) so I tried to find the most optimal list based on Drakkfoot.

TL;DR What is your opinion on best Bonesplitterz tournament list? 

Firstly my list was looking like this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Drakkfoot

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Artefact: Burnin' Tattooz
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 211

The main idea was to buff 30 stikkas to 3+ rr1 save and went with them to objectives on one flank, if nessessary - give them exploding 6 to hit from boss and weirdnob to make them killy. Boarboyz are going on the other flank (they are such a great unit now, even if they lose their second activation ability), Big Stabbas run around and try to kill the most valuable enemy units, archers support from the back or run onto objectives if needed. Shamans support with cast from the backline, obviously. Two most important casts are on Weirdnobs to have an option to reroll them.

I doubted about taking any of the battalions in the list because no one of them is great for their points and abilities in my opinion. But Big Wurrgog Mask + pre-game CP (list have many drop choices so if opponent take the first turn and alfastrike me, CP for ignoring bravery would be very helpful) + a little bit reducing number of drop choices brought me to decision to take Snaga Rukk in the list as the cheapest battalion (also I already included all necessary units in the list and wanted to try this composition).

I participated in a 5-tour tournament with this list couple of weeks ago and finished 6 out of 48. Went 4-1 and lost to a Kopp Rukk Great Waagh list with 90 morboyz (I wasn`t prepared for this, such a great 120-man greentide 😁 ). 

Some conclusions from this tournament that I made (of cause it is only my opinion based on gained experience) :

- Big boss was a waste of points, suddenly. I have only situations when I either haven`t enough CP to spent on his ability or it wasn`t nessessary at all.

- Boyz with stikkas - one of the best units in the Bonesplitterz now. They are a great tarpit that can generate a pretty good amount of attacks.

- Maniak Boarboyz are amazing unit and provide extremely good mobility that  can win games.

- Arrowboyz are good, but not necessary element of lists now, when our units have high amount of attacks. Even at 360 against old 420 points.

Also after the tournament I found that FW gave Rogue Idol a Bonsplitterz keyword. In theoryhammer it makes him a great choice in Drakkfoot list, as a tough source of -2 rend. Option to make him 2+ rr1 5++ 6++ is also incredible. Unfortunately I dont have this model yet, planning to buy him in next couple of month,

In my next list I dropped boss and arrowboyz out of the list, took another 30 Stikkaz, Balewind and 5 maniaks. Also tried to take Mork Money Bitz for a Prophet, hoped to cast Fists of Gork on 10+.

Spoiler

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
Wardokk (80)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 220

I played with it only one game yet and it was win against 140 Plague Monks. I definitely felt better with two combat blobs of foot orruks, instead one combat and one missile blob. Prophet didn`t cast Fists of Gork on 10 and once even fail cast at all on 1-1 😐 Mask was definitely more effective choice. 2x10 Boarboy Maniaks are a great 1 turn treat with 5-inch pre-game move for one pack and Breath of Gork on another - killed 40 of monks and almost killed verminlord. Gonna play this list again for a couple of times to make better feeling of it.

I have a thought about no-battalion list with green tide of stikkaz, need to paint another 30 boyz for it, but probably will try with proxy in near future.

Spoiler

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (80)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 265

The last variant have extremely high wound count and very good board control, but no Mask to kill small heroes and/or crazy armored staff (2+ rr1 save) and even more drop choices. No CP on the first turn can also be a problem as there would be no bravery ignoring. Also I have tried Icebone in a couple of games and it feels like interesting, but far worse choice, than Drakkfoot.

So, what is the best list in your opinion? Probably I have a too narrow view and there is a more optimal list on other clans or base Splitterz? Maybe even Great Waagh list?

P.S. I`m not a native speaker, so I`m sorry for potential mistakes and phrase construction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GriinWan said:

Heyo, Bosses. As new book released, Drakkfoot had catched my mind as it is a very good anti-meta option. I`m interesting in competitive (although most of the time I`m a TO, not a tournament player) so I tried to find the most optimal list based on Drakkfoot.

TL;DR What is your opinion on best Bonesplitterz tournament list? 

Firstly my list was looking like this:

Hide contents

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask
Wardokk (80)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 211

The main idea was to buff 30 stikkas to 3+ rr1 save and went with them to objectives on one flank, if nessessary - give them exploding 6 to hit from boss and weirdnob to make them killy. Boarboyz are going on the other flank (they are such a great unit now, even if they lose their second activation ability), Big Stabbas run around and try to kill the most valuable enemy units, archers support from the back or run onto objectives if needed. Shamans support with cast from the backline, obviously. Two most important casts are on Weirdnobs to have an option to reroll them.

I doubted about taking any of the battalions in the list because no one of them is great for their points and abilities in my opinion. But Big Wurrgog Mask + pre-game CP (list have many drop choices so if opponent take the first turn and alfastrike me, CP for ignoring bravery would be very helpful) + a little bit reducing number of drop choices brought me to decision to take Snaga Rukk in the list as the cheapest battalion (also I already included all necessary units in the list and wanted to try this composition).

I participated in a 5-tour tournament with this list couple of weeks ago and finished 6 out of 48. Went 4-1 and lost to a Kopp Rukk Great Waagh list with 90 morboyz (I wasn`t prepared for this, such a great 120-man greentide 😁 ). 

Some conclusions from this tournament that I made (of cause it is only my opinion based on gained experience) :

- Big boss was a waste of points, suddenly. I have only situations when I either haven`t enough CP to spent on his ability or it wasn`t nessessary at all.

- Boyz with stikkas - one of the best units in the Bonesplitterz now. They are a great tarpit that can generate a pretty good amount of attacks.

- Maniak Boarboyz are amazing unit and provide extremely good mobility that  can win games.

- Arrowboyz are good, but not necessary element of lists now, when our units have high amount of attacks. Even at 360 against old 420 points.

Also after the tournament I found that FW gave Rogue Idol a Bonsplitterz keyword. In theoryhammer it makes him a great choice in Drakkfoot list, as a tough source of -2 rend. Option to make him 2+ rr1 5++ 6++ is also incredible. Unfortunately I dont have this model yet, planning to buy him in next couple of month,

In my next list I dropped boss and arrowboyz out of the list, took another 30 Stikkaz, Balewind and 5 maniaks. Also tried to take Mork Money Bitz for a Prophet, hoped to cast Fists of Gork on 10+.

Hide contents

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
Wardokk (80)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (120)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Wounds: 220

I played with it only one game yet and it was win against 140 Plague Monks. I definitely felt better with two combat blobs of foot orruks, instead one combat and one missile blob. Prophet didn`t cast Fists of Gork on 10 and once even fail cast at all on 1-1 😐 Mask was definitely more effective choice. 2x10 Boarboy Maniaks are a great 1 turn treat with 5-inch pre-game move for one pack and Breath of Gork on another - killed 40 of monks and almost killed verminlord. Gonna play this list again for a couple of times to make better feeling of it.

I have a thought about no-battalion list with green tide of stikkaz, need to paint another 30 boyz for it, but probably will try with proxy in near future.

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (80)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units

Wounds: 265

The last variant have extremely high wound count and very good board control, but no Mask to kill small heroes and/or crazy armored staff (2+ rr1 save) and even more drop choices. No CP on the first turn can also be a problem as there would be no bravery ignoring. Also I have tried Icebone in a couple of games and it feels like interesting, but far worse choice, than Drakkfoot.

So, what is the best list in your opinion? Probably I have a too narrow view and there is a more optimal list on other clans or base Splitterz? Maybe even Great Waagh list?

P.S. I`m not a native speaker, so I`m sorry for potential mistakes and phrase construction.

I have only a few games with the new book but I have also been enjoying the Maniak Boarboyz. My only worry is that in Drakkfoot your list would struggle with high armor armies ( Ironjaws, Fyreslayers, Ossiarch Bonereapers, Stormcast, etc).  I really think Maniak Boarboys really shine in Icebone.  With Icebone you also get your choice of Command Trait, so you could move them 8 inches pregame instead of 5 :)

If I were you I'd also test out the Rogue Idol in your list. You could drop the Stabbas, Snaga Rukk and BWV then trade in one of your Weirdnobs for a Wardokk and you could run the Idol. Something to consider!

• Like 1

@Warbossironteef agreed, Idol is definitely a thing that would shine in Drakkfoot list 🙂 I dont like to play with proxy, but maybe I should do this. On the other hand I surely would buy Idol month or two later and probably now it is better to test other lists without it.

High armor save was always a bad thing for Splittaz, fortunately it is not very common now at least where I play. I take Big Stabbas and Big Wurrgog Mask in my lists partly for this case, when a high amount of attacks from other units is not enough. And lack of Mask in the last version of my list ( 90 stikkaz) is a thing that bother me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlmGandix3 said:

You could take a warchanter as an ally and give the drakkfoot idol +1 dmg

Give the Warchanter Get ‘Em Beat and it’s charging on 3d6!!

EDIT: Of course you’ve already Breath of Gorkamorka’d it to move 20/30” first. It could smash anything on the table from your backline. Use it to buff your casts for a round or two and then send him in to decimate!!

EDIT: Oh, wait, he’d only get the Beat in Ironjawz and Big Waaagh! wouldn’t he?

Edited by 5kaven5lave

@AlmGandix3 nice idea!

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Give the Warchanter Get ‘Em Beat and it’s charging on 3d6!!

There are two problems - firstly you are right, to take the Beat army must be Ironjawz or Big Waaagh! And the second problem is that to use the Beat on Idol warchanter should be wholly within 12 from him at the start of the charge phase.

• Like 1

No doubt. However...

Could also bring a cheapo 5 Ardboys as a screen for him and a backfield objective holder. More use for the Warchanter buff as well with the other IJ unit. Might have a bash with this tomorrow night - beefed up Idol and 4 cast Wurrgog slinging damage and buffs at 30” tickles my fancy...

- Warclan: Icebone

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Trait: Fuelled by the Spirits - Breath of Gorkamorka 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Kattanak Pelt  
Wardokk (80)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- Allies

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)

Extra Command Point (50)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 200

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I need your help. I want to start a bonesplitterz army, 1000 points at first, maybe later more.
Since I play against a lot of strong opponents I kinda want it to be competitive if possible.
But I want it to be boar-themed. So basically only Boarboyz/Boarboy Maniaks+Heroes.
Heroes can be unmounted, but I will convert them to still sit on boars, but still give them proper base size and still use their regular movement.

As clan I feel Icebone is best, but maybe at 1000 points one is better off without a clan? Because their artefact and trait dont feel that great. I dont know.

In general I need to know what is better: normal boarboyz or maniaks? which support heroes are best and what spells are best in combination with boar units?

Is a battalion worth it? The Brutal Rukk could be nice for the ability, the Snaga Rukk doesnt feel great tbh. But I could at least get a useful second artefact and a CP, since I bring the units anyway.

Are boarboyz/boarboy maniaks better in units of five or ten? or even bigger?

I already bought some boxes of boarboyz, but didnt start to build them yet.

So here is what I came up with so far:

Savage Big Boss
Wurgogg Prophet
Wardokk

10 Boarboyz
10 Boarboyz
5 Boarboyz

990points

Any advice on running boar-lists?

PS: is the rogue Idol any good? because I like the model and thought about maybe using it later on to pop up to 2000 points pretty fast.

Edited by Enwolved

Hi @Enwolved!

Battalions totally dont worth it if you want to play competitive on 1000 pts. Bonuses are mediocre and the price is not that low.

Icebone is good (command ability is powerful; battle trait, command ability and artefact are quite useful) if you don`t have many armies with save-after-save abilities in your local meta. If you have - better take Drakkfoot to negate this.

I usually play 2000 format, but if I have to play 1000 with boars limit I take the following:

Spoiler

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboys (260)
- Stikkas
10 x Savage Boarboys (260)
- Stikkas

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 101

Not sure about the spells, probably it would be better to have Brutal Beasts on wardokk instead of War Cry.

You can make one pack of Boarboys 4+ rr1 save (Wardokk + mystic shield) to act as an anvil or a pretty good screen. If take Brutal Beasts instead of War Cry - make one unit hit with +1 and generate two hits on unmodified 6 (Brutal Beasts and Bone Spirit spells).  Breath of Gorkamorka to have an incredible 24 move with flying boars (and charge after it of cause or run to get onto objective if needed).

Probably should divide one pack of boarboys on two 5-man squads. 10-man is a good amount of attack with bonus for charge, 5-man squads give you more mobility.

Set of spells depends on how you play and what you need more for your plans. My go-to spells that I usually take on 2000 format: 

1) Breath of Gorkamorka on Maniak Weirdnob - having 24 move + fly on boars often make me games or at least create great problems for opponent. 10 inch + run foot boys also perform good. Weirdnob because of mobility and opportunity to reroll cast.

2) Gorkamorka`s WarCry - opportunity to make enemy unit fight last in combat phase is important, especially when playing against Slaanesh (don`t know if you have this one in your meta)

3) Kunnin Beast Spirits - If you take it to Wardokk (or take this spell + Wardokk, don`t really matters) it is probably +2 save on one of your units and it is makes it pretty tough (especially units with shields in melee). Boarboys in 3+ combat save with rr1 for Mystic Shield or CP looks good.

4) Brutal Beast Spirits - +1 hit, run, charge is always nice, but not mandatory. Is taken to maximize units` attack potential, another attack buff is Bone Spirit spell from Maniak Weirdnob warscroll,

5 hours ago, Enwolved said:

I already bought some boxes of boarboyz, but didnt start to build them yet.

Magnetize it if you have an opportunity, you would get great flexibility in army composition.

Hi Enwolved, you picked a get army to start! Splitterz are the best. At 1000 points we can put a ton of wounds on the board, which is one of our biggest strengths. If you are going all in Boars I wouldn't bring the Savage Big Boss. He will struggle to keep up. 

Boarboyz v,.s. Boarboyz Maniaks is an interesting choice. Maniaks are a little better in combat and are less reliant on buffs. Regular BB's  can be buffed to a +3 in combat and can actually be a mobile anvil. Both struggle with higher armored units, even in IceBone. 

IMO the best 1K Bonesplitter lists will probably have a 30 block of Savage Orruks with Stikkas. 60 wounds that can be buffed to a +3 in combat. You could fit in a unit of 10 BB Maniaks and then fill in the rest from there. 

Another thing to think about is if the Wurgogg is worth it at 1K. Depending on the list, a BB Weirdnob might be a better option. 

IMO the below is best way to start collecting a 1k list. Only 3 boxes and it gets you your whole list. You can easily convert Orruks into a Wardokk and Weirdnob (I used a OOP Cold One mount and a Squig from a 40k Nob boss pole for my Weirdnob)

2x boxes of Orruks

1x box of Boarboys 

-Maniak Weirdnob

-Wardokk

-4x Big Stabbas

-10x BB Maniaks

-30x Orruks with Stikas

117 Wounds 980/1000

Lastly, there has been a lot of talk about  how good the Rogue Idol can be, so look back through some pages and you'll find lots of info. Hopefully some of that is useful for you!