AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I think Drakkfoot is good but you give up a lot for it. The anti magic stuff is nice. Don’t forget that another good way to beat stuff like Ethereal and after damage saves is just to roll a massive pile of dice and make your opponent roll so many saves that some eventually get through. This is already a strength of the book. Icebone offers the rend (which you’ll get loads of due to weight of dice) and lets you have the CT (as well as ‘Boarshenanigans’) so it’s a more rounded choice for me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I think Drakkfoot is good but you give up a lot for it. The anti magic stuff is nice. Don’t forget that another good way to beat stuff like Ethereal and after damage saves is just to roll a massive pile of dice and make your opponent roll so many saves that some eventually get through. This is already a strength of the book. Icebone offers the rend (which you’ll get loads of due to weight of dice) and lets you have the CT (as well as ‘Boarshenanigans’) so it’s a more rounded choice for me. 

Yep im a fan of Icebone for sure. Have big blocks to throw out buckets of dice and there will be rend in there

Hey guys,  curious to poke your brains about fyreslayers and hearthguard.  How do you guys deal with them as non drakfoot? I played my big wagggh list against my friend last night and he only ran 20 and they just about tabled my army by themselves.  I did end up winning with 3 models left and 1 point up but dang he said he would bring 50 to a competitive game. I only killed 18/20. How do you deal with them with how little rend and multi damage we have? The fact that their 4++ is not wholly within a hero basically means they always have it.

28 minutes ago, Belmail said:

Hey guys,  curious to poke your brains about fyreslayers and hearthguard.  How do you guys deal with them as non drakfoot? I played my big wagggh list against my friend last night and he only ran 20 and they just about tabled my army by themselves.  I did end up winning with 3 models left and 1 point up but dang he said he would bring 50 to a competitive game. I only killed 18/20. How do you deal with them with how little rend and multi damage we have? The fact that their 4++ is not wholly within a hero basically means they always have it.

The trick to fighting HB(Hearthguard Berzerkers) is to not fight them. There isnt a single unit in the game that can stand up to them. If you absolutely have to engage them then make sure you tie them up with a unit you dont care about. A 60 wound block of Savage Orruks might be able to hold them up. Or blast the ****** out of them with 90 shots from 30 Arrowboys. Or kill the hero somehow so that 4++ become a 6++ at least. But do not, under any reason charge them...unless you can troll them somehow with charge, retreats, run away type stuff.

tl;dr: avoid at all costs

Edited by Malakithe

4 hours ago, Belmail said:

It doesn't seem viable to try to snipe the heroes because the 4++ aura isn't wholly within 10 inches, it's just be within 10 inches of a hero. Plus he had a big -1 to wound bubble so I couldnt really even shoot him down. 

As at @Malakithe said, just don’t engage. Most scenarios have at least 3 objectives. Let’s say he parks his 30 HGBs on one, well that’s 2 others for you to sit on with your massive blobs of 30. He’ll never be able to muster more than 10 HBG per objective in reply so just sit it out. Duardin are probably the slowest army in the game so they won’t be rushing to get you. 

15 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Looking at all the rules and stuff for the new bone guys, I think Bonesplitterz will have a hard time taking them down.

Yeah it seem access to high save/reroll is bonesplitterz bane. I'm not sure they have such damage spike tough, and will suffer from low model count, so you can always sit on objective first with 30 spearman with 3+ save.

Had a chance to try some Boarboys (took them as ally in my Gloomspite), and they were amazing. 12'' move combined with +2 to charge, and now the hit hard enough to kill some serious stuff.

36 minutes ago, broche said:

Had a chance to try some Boarboys (took them as ally in my Gloomspite), and they were amazing. 12'' move combined with +2 to charge, and now the hit hard enough to kill some serious stuff.

Rolled the double to get my Boarboys moving 36” to win an objective and the game in turn 4 on Friday night. Such a fun unit in a great army. Hopefully Bonesplitterz will settle out somewhere near the top of the pack but not too top. I think it’s strong without being obnoxious and I think a lot of people will underestimate the army, especially with Ironjawz being so popular at the moment. 

• Like 2

If they go heavily on bodies with Bonereapers, a Balewind Wurrgog Prophet with casting bonuses and Fists of Gork is pretty good at wiping blobs off. If you really want to push it, with +1 Trait/Artifact, Rogue Idol, and Wardokk dance, you can get +4 to cast, which gets it to cast automatically and the the 4+ setup to go off on a 6+. Not bad at halving a blob of single wound models.

• Like 1

Savage Attack: With a guttural bellow and a swing of their axe, the Savage Big Boss orders an all-out attack upon the foe. You can use this command ability at the start of the combat phase.

If you do so, pick 1 friendly Bonesplitterz unit wholly within 12" of a friendly model with this command ability. Until the end of that phase, if the unmodified hit roll for an attack made by that unit is 6, that attack scores 2 hits on the target instead of 1. A unit cannot benefit from this command ability more than once per phase

Does it means I can stack it on the same unit ? 2 CPs for 2 touches and not 1 on a 6 ? etc ?

1 hour ago, hurben said:

Does it means I can stack it on the same unit ? 2 CPs for 2 touches and not 1 on a 6 ? etc ?

Unfortunately not with that command ability as the last sentence states. You can however use that CA then cast the Maniak Weirdnob’s unique spell on the same unit and get 3 hits with a 6 to hit roll. 

1 hour ago, Zappgrot said:

I am looking at going to my first tournament. It´s just 750 points. I was wondering what would be better to take bonesplitters or ironjaws.

At 750 pts, definitly go bonesplitters. You get a lot of  cost-efficient units, and great mobility.  at 750 you'll struggle having enough model with Ironjawz to have a good army

2 hours ago, Entombet said:

To all who plays them, do amount of dices really compensate lack of rend/mortals of bonesplitters?

I dont really feel like we're lacking in mortals too badly. We have good spell supports, prophet can delete hordes,  warcry and bonecrusher are good damage/utility tools. We just dont get any on hit mortals except fringe cases against monsters. But we are not without mortal wounds.

Lack of rend is the harder thing to manage. Punching down a unit of sequitors with a 2+ rerolling save is basically impossible for us outside of mortals. Anything with a decent save and rerolling saves is actually really hard to deal with. Thunderstomp bastillidons for example just won't die. 

We thrive at massing attacks against other squishy horde armies but lack of rend causes us to flounder a bit against high armor. I think this is why we are really good counters to dok and slaanesh since their basic armor is about 5+.

A lot of other people have said this, and I agree, the Rogue Idol and Big Stabbas are our "can-openers."  They bring -2 rend and high damage. I do feel like we might struggle with Ironjawz and the new Bonereapers. Their entire armies are 4+ and 3+.  

I've been thinking a lot about a Weirdnob in Big Waaghh with Balewind Vortex next to a Rogue Idol/Wardok. He could do some good mortal output. Has anyone tried that out yet? 

Edited by Warbossironteef

I don't think the extra rend from Icebone is gonna be really significant on Bonereaper (or any high rerollable save)

If Bonereaper become prevalent, i think the best answer is to increase the number of  Big stabbas. 

Stuff with 4+ is not really a problem for no rend, you can still saturate it pretty well. It start to be problematic at 3+/4+ reroll and better.

On 10/30/2019 at 1:37 AM, broche said:

At 750 pts, definitly go bonesplitters. You get a lot of  cost-efficient units, and great mobility.  at 750 you'll struggle having enough model with Ironjawz to have a good army

I was thinking this

1 Maniak wierdnob shaman

20 boys whit stikaks

20 boys whit arrows

5 moarboy boarboyz.

is about 100 wounds whitch seems good for 750. And it gets 30 units.

No tribe so i can make the maniak wierdnob cast an extra spellen and give him +1 to cast. So he can fully support a unit every turn.

• Like 1