Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Really?  but you bought into first edition after how THAT was released? :D 

Don't feel like i'm attacking you personally but what value is there in judging a set of rules for a game on how they are marketed? I would only be interested in the quality of GW's marketing if I was buying marketing from them.

Lots of players really enjoy the build up to a new release and it certainly creates conversation! Personally I'm not reading much of it. I would never start making plans for my armies until I had not only read through the new rules a few times but also played a few games with them so there is no way i'm going to get worked up on the basis of a few teasers..

Pretty sure it will be all good dude.. or at least mostly good like it is now ;) 

I liked that they were trying something different. It was refreshing. And I liked how simple the rules were. I like to pick up a game and play, not have to have my head buried in an opponents army book for ages to understand. 

What I liked is going, hence the lack of faith. I feel it's important to attempt to  justify any perceived negativity with the post on Monday.  

I'm not saying I'm buying rules on the strength of the marketing. More that with better, more professional and open communication I'd have more trust that I'm buying a better product. 

18 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I'm taking notes. Battletome faction missing: Beastclaw raiders, Bonesplitterz, Idoneth deepkin!

# WAAAGH Prophet mode ON

I see some fish in faction focus soon! 

# WAAAGH Prophet mode OFF

Compared to the awful way in which AoS 1st ed was promoted, I think GW are doing a great job this time round. Daily snippets are keeping me visiting WarCom, avidly following the discussion threads on TGA, and talking  with mates about the impact of each tweak on our various armies.

Im thoroughly motivated with painting and continuing the endless WFB rebasing project, and have gotten in some random games between Dread Solstice and now, so all in all Im very happy with AoS and cant wait to try out the new stuff!

1 minute ago, Captain Marius said:

Compared to the awful way in which AoS 1st ed was promoted

It was a hard job: they started from nothing and AGAINST most of WHFB playerbase. Now, they do have a player base and AoS is well accepted, lore wise and play wise

22 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I'm taking notes. Battletome faction missing: Beastclaw raiders, Bonesplitterz, Idoneth deepkin!

I could also see them do faction focuses on some of the GHB2017 factions, depending on how far they need to stretch things. At the very least, I could see a Free People, but maybe even Dispossessed, Wanderers and Darkling Covens(or I think that was in the GHB).  Beyond that, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Moonclan faction focus, and if they one for them I think that'd be a massive indicator that they're being worked on.

57 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Firstly, I'd like a central place to find out about the release.  Not Facebook, Twitter (from personal accounts) , faction whatsapp groups, and the community site. 

Secondly, just let us know the release date straight up. If it's a month away, that's cool. Those that like to plan will do just that.  

Third. Talk about the play-testing more. If it's something new, chat about how you came about the changes. We are all hobbyists and love that stuff. Don't be afraid to talk about what is wrong with the old, and why it's influenced the new.  Get people not wearing a GW shirt on front and centre. 

Finally, if you are going to make massive changes to the game, really focus on it during the build up. Some people don't like change, so reassurance is key. Focus on the balance always, not just 'HERE IS NEW STUFF'. Tell us how it fits, not how this edition is all about the change. 

You have some good ideas what could help, so share those with them!  Post this on the community pages facebook pages or email them, let them know how you feel. They might see it here but the right people might not.

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

It was a hard job: they started from nothing and AGAINST most of WHFB playerbase. Now, they do have a player base and AoS is well accepted, lore wise and play wise

They didnt promote it at all until one week before release when WD Weekly (shudder) was leaked! Blew up the WH World, then radio silence for months. In my view it was the perfect blend of arrogance and incompetence that typified the Kirby era.

Since then they've gone bonkers with the marketing communications and they're able to guide the conversation (remember all that whinging over CPs being linked to battalions, then days later its revealed you can just buy more and the teeth gnashing moves elsewhere?). The success of this approach is evident in the massive growth in FY17, and thats before nu40k is even accounted for!

53 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Firstly, I'd like a central place to find out about the release.  Not Facebook, Twitter (from personal accounts) , faction whatsapp groups, and the community site. 

Strictly speaking, the Community site is the place to get the 'official' info from as that's done a press release as such. You need to remember that the community team is a team of a few people, so you will get variations in the information. Twitter/Whatsapp and other social sites not officially managed by GW, are just comments by people and shouldn't really be counted as official. Yes they might say more than intended but it's up to you if you take them as 'official' ;) 

57 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Secondly, just let us know the release date straight up. If it's a month away, that's cool. Those that like to plan will do just that.  

I think GW suffer from 'Apple' Syndrome and like to keep things like this close to their chests. I think it's to sort of help build up the excitement but also gives them the flexibility with dates if something bad happens (like issues with the Printers, delays with producing the models, etc). As far as I'm aware the current rumored pre-order date is 9th June and I think there may be a two week pre-order time which puts the release around 23rd June. The AOS Open Day is on 30th June so I would expect it to be out at the latest then.

1 hour ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Third. Talk about the play-testing more. If it's something new, chat about how you came about the changes. We are all hobbyists and love that stuff. Don't be afraid to talk about what is wrong with the old, and why it's influenced the new.  Get people not wearing a GW shirt on front and centre. 

I do think they are starting to do that but it's difficult as not everybody is interested in this. 

1 hour ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Finally, if you are going to make massive changes to the game, really focus on it during the build up. Some people don't like change, so reassurance is key. Focus on the balance always, not just 'HERE IS NEW STUFF'. Tell us how it fits, not how this edition is all about the change. 

But as mentioned, there is a lot of people who want to see the new stuff. I suspect it's because a lot of people assume that the core parts of the game are staying the same and just want to know what is changing. I'm sure if you visited the AOS Facebook page and mentioned this, I would think the Community Team could knock out an article about this. It's possible they already have one done and will be releasing it soon. If you are signed up to the Warhammer Live Twitch channel, ask the question.

I fully understand your concerns but I don't think you have anything to worry about. As mentioned if you really want to know what isn't changing, ask the Community Team ;) 

Honestly, it doesn't feel like a two way street with the community team. They seem (and I use this as I'm not dealing in definite, just perceptions) to be keen to hear from those that are already in the city walls, and not those outside, so to speak. 

The social media thing is poor though. I know you say 'well if you want to treat it as official you can' but that's a bit of a cop out. You shouldn't have people involved with the game tweeting rules and system changes, or doing that in groups on Whatsapp. I'm not sure what positives it delivers, and you can see that it's a negative thing to many. It's such an easy thing to stop as well!

9 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Honestly, it doesn't feel like a two way street with the community team. They seem (and I use this as I'm not dealing in definite, just perceptions) to be keen to hear from those that are already in the city walls, and not those outside, so to speak. 

You can see how much they have to deal with, and we know who the team are (i.e. very few people) so it will never be a true 2 way communication as they dont have time, but you can see they read things and take on board new and good ideas.

The social media thing is poor though. I know you say 'well if you want to treat it as official you can' but that's a bit of a cop out. You shouldn't have people involved with the game tweeting rules and system changes, or doing that in groups on Whatsapp. I'm not sure what positives it delivers, and you can see that it's a negative thing to many. It's such an easy thing to stop as well!

I dont follow any of these people or any chats they are in so cant say ive seen anything, or anything new re-posted on here for that matter?   What rules have been revealed through these channels?

You'd have to listen to THW (which is a treat in itself) But Ben has released rules on both twitter and whatapp

Sorry ive no idea what THW is?

I see Ben Johnson is tweeting when community articles are up but didnt see any rules.

11 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

On which Platforms. You need to remember that outside Facebook, anything else is personal and shouldn't be treated as official (they like posting pictures of their models and games just like us!). If you want official feedback, go to https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/ and ask about any of your questions of concerns. 

18 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

I supposed it is a cop out but at the end of the day, it's not an official answer. It's somebody who is very passionate about the game saying look at these cool things but they can't say everything, so will end up giving 'weird' answers. You want an official answer, visit the community site. You want a sort of sneaky peek then pay attention to other social media platforms ;) 

4 minutes ago, stato said:

Sorry ive no idea what THW is?

I see Ben Johnson is tweeting when community articles are up but didnt see any rules.

He answered a direct question on the Maggotkin WhatsApp group confirm Malign Sorcery was 100% for Matchedplay and a photo of that was tweeted. Other than a little on the most recent Stormcast episode no persistent spells that’s all I’m aware of as extra to the Warhammer Community articles. 

Just now, Thebiggesthat said:

Ahh, it's The Honest Wargamer. A twitch channel and podcast. Really good

Ah ok, tired that when it started, too longwinded for me, 2-3 hours to discuss a single unit or something is more time than i have.  What have they revealed though??  Ive not seen anything mentioned on here that some new thing has been leaked. 

1 minute ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

He answered a direct question on the Maggotkin WhatsApp group confirm Malign Sorcery was 100% for Matchedplay and a photo of that was tweeted. 

Thats not exactly jaw dropping news, thats been understood anyway hasnt it?  did people think it was only going to be for open-play?

13 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

You'd have to listen to THW (which is a treat in itself) But Ben has released rules on both twitter and whatapp

I listened to honest wargamer too. It was a good show but I disagreed with them on a few points.

Firstly Ben has not  revealed any rules on WhatsApp. He merely stated things that some people had made incorrect assumptions about, namely the malign sorcery stuff and the portal stuff. 

I must admit, I was completely baffled by Rob's misreading of a couple of the rules. How could you possibly think that an endless spell would chase a portal away rather than just  go through it? I put that one down to tiredness. 

He can also seem like he has an axe to grind at times and is very dismissive of the community team despite having been a part of it for a while. 

It is a great show over all though. 

It is called the honest wargamer. It is on twitch and is very entertaining,  but I would not take everything they say as gospel. 

26 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

I for one am glad for this! I remember the old GW forums, an absolute abyss of entitled and opinionated rude people. I was on Warseer since the Portent days, and that was pretty good until the end of WFB when the "community" devolved into a bunch of trolls. The only forum ive found to maintain a mature and generally constructive outlook is this one, and even we have required a spate of bannings and a message from the boss to act like grownups this week!

My point is, there is no benefit to GW for engaging with the whole community, as many elements are toxic in one way or the other, or... their opinions just arent that useful (like mine ? ). I think theyre doing a great job by working with those TOs and club-runners who are champions of the community, while still tossing a bone to us regular plebs on social, via e-newsletter and with a very well paced press release schedule on the Community site. Its certainly keeping me engaged, and thats how you get my money!

THWG is a great show. Rob is just Rob, will give his opinion on things but he also opens the floor up to chat and co-hosts /guests to give their opinion. Bare in mind that when he is sceptical of GW or criticizes them it’s from solid first hand experiences which more than most who talk about how GW works have. 

I just realised the UK Games Expo is this weekend. Don't we all think that's when the release date for AOS 2 will be announced? Would make sense, and they've already announced that they will be previewing a lot of new stuff.

23 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

He answered a direct question on the Maggotkin WhatsApp group confirm Malign Sorcery was 100% for Matchedplay and a photo of that was tweeted. Other than a little on the most recent Stormcast episode no persistent spells that’s all I’m aware of as extra to the Warhammer Community articles. 

I wasn't questioning the content, just that he had done those things, and it might not be helpful.

Archived