Games Workshops new job page is live........

23 minutes ago, GW Citadel Recruitment said:

It's alive!!!!!

https://jobs.games-workshop.com/

Take a look   :-)

I am checking now but... wouldn't you be interested in an english-to-spanish translator, wouldn't you?

I know it's not exactly the optimal place to make critique but the shadespire translation leaves a lot to be desired, with jewels like mixing up "these" with "three" (and it's in an important place within the core rulebook!), mixing up wording in quite choppy fashion, using the same word for two different cards and thus f ueling confusion (doubly so when the one of the cards original version's name  had nothing to do with the words used) and magore's fiends' literally have this sentence written: "I guess this 'easy to build' should be translated"

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 11:06 AM, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

I am checking now but... wouldn't you be interested in an english-to-spanish translator, wouldn't you?
I know it's not exactly the optimal place to make critique but the shadespire translation leaves a lot to be desired, with jewels like mixing up "these" with "three" (and it's in an important place within the core rulebook!), mixing up wording in quite choppy fashion, using the same word for two different cards and thus f ueling confusion (doubly so when the one of the cards original version's name  had nothing to do with the words used) and magore's fiends' literally have this sentence written: "I guess this 'easy to build' should be translated"

Unholy-necroing this thread, but this is absolutely on spot!

I think they should really get more translators, or even better, a new spanish translator. It's been ages since I picked up a GW book in non-english, and ****, for a good reason. Had the chance to get the ET books and GHB16 for dirty cheap and cannot express how dissapointed I am with the translation.

ET:Nagash has more than two dozens of typos, questionable translation of terms and sentence structure mistakes in quite a few places. Did they even proof read it? I really wonder, honestly.

It is otherwise not possible to translate "Tenga", "Tenía" and a load more variants with "Diezga" and "Diezías". Makes zero sense, because they probably didn't bother checking that their copy-paste/replace didn't work. It is a ******* joke that they let 8 (!) of those slip into the book.

Overall, my eyes were bleeding through the 100 pages, thankfully there were plenty of beautiful pics to counter. Some passages (like the Neferata fluff) made me cringe, the translate terms were clearly not correct even without having the original english version in hand. And I say this without being a professional translator.

Sad thing is that the GHB appears to have the same translators as the ET ones, so I guess GW believes that is an OK standard. There is plenty of discontent with trasnlated version, fine example is the 40k Marines codex which is actually slimmer than the original because they didn't bother translating the fluff! Seriously makes me wtf....

In the meantime,  I'll stick to English!

6 hours ago, VBS said:

Unholy-necroing this thread, but this is absolutely on spot!

I think they should really get more translators, or even better, a new spanish translator. It's been ages since I picked up a GW book in non-english, and ****, for a good reason. Had the chance to get the ET books and GHB16 for dirty cheap and cannot express how dissapointed I am with the translation.

ET:Nagash has more than two dozens of typos, questionable translation of terms and sentence structure mistakes in quite a few places. Did they even proof read it? I really wonder, honestly.

It is otherwise not possible to translate "Tenga", "Tenía" and a load more variants with "Diezga" and "Diezías". Makes zero sense, because they probably didn't bother checking that their copy-paste/replace didn't work. It is a ******* joke that they let 8 (!) of those slip into the book.

Overall, my eyes were bleeding through the 100 pages, thankfully there were plenty of beautiful pics to counter. Some passages (like the Neferata fluff) made me cringe, the translate terms were clearly not correct even without having the original english version in hand. And I say this without being a professional translator.

Sad thing is that the GHB appears to have the same translators as the ET ones, so I guess GW believes that is an OK standard. There is plenty of discontent with trasnlated version, fine example is the 40k Marines codex which is actually slimmer than the original because they didn't bother translating the fluff! Seriously makes me wtf....

In the meantime,  I'll stick to English!

Idem, but in French - the End Times books were still of a quite good quality in term of translation, quality that dropped totally following the release of AOS, alas. 

Things got better with All-gates and all the following, but never got back to the WFB era quality of French translation.

Proof reading is another thing ;)

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

The German translations leave something to be desired as well, from what my native buddies at the local store here in Austria tell me.

Can confirm. The German translations aren't bad, but they are lacking sometimes lazy. Some appear to be simply direct translations without thinking about changed meanings or idioms. And some translators seam to lack the vocabulary, which is especially noticeable in the painting sections where standing terms are ignored and brutally butchered. 

@GW Citadel Recruitment I know you employ offsite translators and Black Library writers etc but have you ever thought of doing the same with your rules writers?

As I understand it you have a small on site team who do everything for all the games?

If you had a bank reserve of part timers that could work for you offsite/online you might be able to gain access to a lot of talented people who would love to work for GW but no so much that they can give up successful careers elsewhere.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:06 AM, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

They really need to revamp their spanish localization team when we're getting gems like the one attached

IMG_20180508_200808688.jpg

On 4/24/2018 at 12:30 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

Keep an eye on it. I know these sorts of roles appear from time to time

I was not saying that in the sense you're implying, unfortunately.  ?

3 hours ago, kuroyume said:

They really need to revamp their spanish localization team when we're getting gems like the one attached

I would say that's one of the least of the grievances I have with the translation, hell it's charming in its own way and it's the only box I've kept with me because it's fun.

There's some very serious issues with the quality of the work done, though. The rulebook in the original languages uses the term "these" while the spanish translation says "three" when refering to the usable  in the power phase. There's two  "lluvia de esquirlas" cards despite the second case (shardgale) being totally unrelated in name to the concept of "rain/fall". There's multiple cards that are missing the "reaction" word.  Multiple objectives are badly written: perfect planning triggers if you move one guy, according to the spanish version, rather than NONE. Killing field or whatever is the name of the 3-point objective that requires you to kill an enemy in your zone, the enemy's zone, AND no-man's-land requires you to kill one enemy in your zone, the enemy's OR no-man's-land to trigger in the spanish version.

The game is amazing and almost the best thing to come from GW... the translation, I  am afraid, not so much.

Translation of technical documents, which game rules effectively are, is an incredibly difficult job, especially when words in the source language simply don't exisit in the destination language.

English has the lingustic distinction of absorbing a large number of words and concepts from all over the world, whereas other languages have tended to grow based on internal needs. Heck, if you look at French as an example, they actively reject English sourced words but often don't have an alternative

Archived