Legion of Sacrament - The Winning Combination

Major

So Ive been toying with Legion of Sacrament this week. I tried First Cohort last week and found that unless you play hyper aggressively with Nagash (Which you can do when he has 2 Arkai as well) and protect your Necromancers, your gunna lose the Objective based games the moment your tied up. Anywho, onto legion of Sacrament this week so tonight I am playing (while casting at the seam time some how) with a Legion of Sacrament build I've been toying with. My list is below. I will say, it originally had no battalion and had a Neferata in it which seemed... meh.

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead : Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Shroud of Darkness
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Wristbands of Black Gold
- Lore of the Deathmages : Decrepify

Units
4 x Morghast Archai (440)
-Spirit Halberds
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-Ancient Spears
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
-Ancient Blades
10 x Grave Guard (160)
-Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
5 x Hexwraiths (160)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 137

I hope it didn't have neferata. Running her and arkhan together would be weird and you couldn't run her solo in a legion of sacrament army.

I wonder if the grave guard work here as a 10 man squad. Still to easy to cut down no? maybe going another unit of hex wraiths would be better? More durable, faster, still good dmg output.  You have a lot of debuffs so I was thinking it would be better to have units that can make it there to take advantage of them. Would also switch out  soul harvest for fading vigor to slow some big hitters down, you could super debuff enemy units and they wont kill skeles any time soon.

Also you have three battlelines not 5. Doesn't really matter except for your army comp summary. 

good start imo, but I'd argue Hex Wraiths and GG are pretty inefficient here. I think you would do better with another big damage threat like a Terrorgheist. In my testing with Sacrament so far I find they are great at tarpitting but lack offensive threat which is where the addition of another monster can be helpful.

Also, imo soul harvest isn't great on Arkhan since you generally don't want him in the thick of the fighting. Imo Fading Vigour or Prison of Grief is just so much more conducive to Arkhan's style of play. (Or the orb if you want more offensive output)

42 minutes ago, PFI said:

I hope it didn't have neferata. Running her and arkhan together would be weird and you couldn't run her solo in a legion of sacrament army.

I wonder if the grave guard work here as a 10 man squad. Still to easy to cut down no? maybe going another unit of hex wraiths would be better? More durable, faster, still good dmg output.  You have a lot of debuffs so I was thinking it would be better to have units that can make it there to take advantage of them. Would also switch out  soul harvest for fading vigor to slow some big hitters down, you could super debuff enemy units and they wont kill skeles any time soon.

Also you have three battlelines not 5. Doesn't really matter except for your army comp summary. 

It counts 5 battline units as all of them are battleline units however some of them are only "battleline IF" Limitation of the system I guess. I could drop the gravguard for more hexwraiths I guess. I was just using them as objective holders, the 5 hexwraiths were for taking a track round the flank to get behind em to any 5 wound casters they have hiding. Yes the Neferatta was in here with Arkhan as the general still as the rule for Sacrement is that if you have any Mortarchs in the army, one of them has to be Arkhan and he MUST be the general. It did feel weird so she is out, was manly to get another caster in there that cant just get sniped.

42 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

good start imo, but I'd argue Hex Wraiths and GG are pretty inefficient here. I think you would do better with another big damage threat like a Terrorgheist. In my testing with Sacrament so far I find they are great at tarpitting but lack offensive threat which is where the addition of another monster can be helpful.

Also, imo soul harvest isn't great on Arkhan since you generally don't want him in the thick of the fighting. Imo Fading Vigour or Prison of Grief is just so much more conducive to Arkhan's style of play. (Or the orb if you want more offensive output)

Yeah unfortunately I dont have the Terrorgheist model lol. I was also thinking a VLoZD but would need to buy one lol.

I wasn't aware Arkhan could take the Orb?

8 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I also feel 10 Dire Wolves will do more work than 20 skeletons. I honestly would not bother with Skeletons outside 40 man units personally.

I thought this too! Until I had 20 skeleton warriors with sword/board wipe a unit of 10 saurus guard the other night! lol. Bringing them back constantly and the fact that at full strength they are putting out 42 attacks made them quite resilient. These guys will hold an objective for at least half a game ususally. the pack of 40 will destroy most things with a potential 123 attacks or 246 with macarbe buff. Also I dont have any dire wolves so couldnt say if they ere better hahaha. They seem more mobile but less all-comers.

Baaaah, warscroll builder strikes again. Its counted everything as battleline. It needs a lot of tweeking but im working around something similar to this anyway. It's difficult to find the perfect balance still with Death. most of your casters (obvi not arkhan, nagash etc) are easily sniped so you need a few but not at the cost of punch.

i found nagsh lists bad at offensive stuffs. i planned a LoS list too . 

archan 320

necro 110

necro 110

mortis engine 180

lords of sacrement battalion 70

VLoZD 440

2 x 10 zombies 120

5 wolves 60

30 grave guards 420

5 wolves ( to summon near graveyards ) 60

balewind ( necro with -1 brevery and hit rolls spell try to summon it)   100

tot 1990 im still thinking about spells and artifacts .. anyway what do you think?^^

37 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

i found nagsh lists bad at offensive stuffs. i planned a LoS list too . 

archan 320

necro 110

necro 110

mortis engine 180

lords of sacrement battalion 70

VLoZD 440

2 x 10 zombies 120

5 wolves 60

30 grave guards 420

5 wolves ( to summon near graveyards ) 60

balewind ( necro with -1 brevery and hit rolls spell try to summon it)   100

tot 1990 im still thinking about spells and artifacts .. anyway what do you think?^^

5 Dire Wolves are better than 10 Zombies in pretty much every single way. I would replace your zombie units with wolves. I still am not convinced of Grave Guards worth. They hit fairly hard, but their speed and fragility makes it so that they will be obliterated by anything around their points cost (30 Tzaangors for example), and might see one single combat a game (on your opponents terms most likely).

My personal LoS list would probably look something like this:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
Terrorgheist (300)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

But honestly, I don't think I will be running the Mortarchs and this battalion all that often. The required investment leaves you with few resources left for adequate offensive punch imo.

8 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

prob im wrong but i see terrorgh only in a Lob bravery debuff list. i pref in this Los vlozd. the aetifact give him sustain and hit harder.. about guards prob u right. i just ewanna test how they perform xD

TG is great in any list. LoB only gets one more -1 to bravery over other legions. Everyone else still has easy access to -3 (banners + morghasts + OD). He is fast and durable, and very solid in melee (those 6s to hit on that maw attack are devastating, and never degrade). I never leave home without one.

Well, the spell will give him -2 debuff, because the necro standing on the vortex will roll natural 9+ like crazy...

because when you got the buffs, you kinda don‘t need them anymore (Anti-Murphy’s-Law)

totally digging the list, will test it (the moment my fenrisian wolves ? get delivered)

17 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Why necro will roll 9+ easy on vortex? For doble effect you have to roll 9+ without modify!

Yes, and once he is in the legion of sacrament, next to the mortis engine and standing on the vortex, his dices will be superhot rolling natural 9+ like crazy, while arkhan fumbles his arcane bolt or 0x6 his CoY...

it‘s just the way statistic and probabilities work for me ;-D but with overwhelming dread, still usable...

My own sacrament list:

Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament(320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest
Necromancer, using balewind (110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Spirit Hosts, buried  (240)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)
Reserve Points, for Balewind Vortex (100)
Total: 1970 / 2000

Not sure on spell selection.  Want to get vile transference in there, but 9" harvest / 18" orb are hard to pass up.  Would just add an extra vamp, but don't see any good way to make the room.  Maybe drop the balewind, and trade 6 hosts for 2 harbingers?  Eh... I don't know.  I really like thise hosts.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:53 PM, Major said:

Baaaah, warscroll builder strikes again. Its counted everything as battleline. It needs a lot of tweeking but im working around something similar to this anyway. It's difficult to find the perfect balance still with Death. most of your casters (obvi not arkhan, nagash etc) are easily sniped so you need a few but not at the cost of punch.

An update for this is coming soon! 

12 hours ago, Sception said:

Maybe drop the balewind, and trade 6 hosts for 2 harbingers?  Eh... I don't know.  I really like thise hosts.

I think the list is well rounded, especially since the VLoZD is going the be out there. The spirits can support a charge block 2 morghast probably can’t. One necro with the skellis roaming , the other one casting from the vortex... 

well, as is said list looks pretty good ??

Archived