Realm of Battle: Blasted Hallowheart - Worth It?

Hi all,

I've made a video review of the new Blasted Hallowheart and Azyrite Ruins available from GW. If you're contemplating picking it up, but aren't sure, you can check out both sides of it set up in the video below. I also discuss the dimensions issue, but I can confirm it is 66"x44.5", so you lose 3" off either side of your deployment zone, and 1.75" off the back of it. 

I personally really like it, £42 for an extra two game boards was great. If you're like me and have a small house with a table that won't fit a 6x4 floppy mat and need something more sturdy, this works a treat.

Fire away with thoughts and opinions!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I've just ordered one set of Azyrite ruins. I love that they've added pigment to the material, should make my painting much easier as I've intended to make it light beige to start with. The warscroll also comes with three scenarios that seem ideal for skirmish and path to glory formats.

After watching the video I must say that I'm tempted to pick the larger deal. The game boards really add to the immersion and I was initially afraid that the board is going to turn out of questionable sturdiness.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

After watching the video I must say that I'm tempted to pick the larger deal. The game boards really add to the immersion and I was initially afraid that the board is going to turn out of questionable sturdiness.

It is pretty sturdy, to be fair. As you can see in the video, mine overhangs off the side of my table by 4-5" on either side, and I can rest all my 2000pts of Ironjawz models on it and it still doesn't bend or lift in the middle.

Thanks for the review.

You mentioned the design of the aqshy side of the board. They actually used the designs of the Citadel Realm of Battle Gameboard that they had since 2007 or so.

To say something to the 1" rule of the ruines.

I never liked it when GW started to do this 'all models wholy in 1" '  in the  FAQ and later in rules like the Deathworld Forest rules.

The point is, that when your model has a 32mm Base it never can fit wholy in 1" after the base is 1,5" (25mm is about 1") So things, like marauders, Stormcasts (most of my models because I used 32mm quite often because 25mm liked often to small for me) will never get cover because of this rule.

If they only had sad, 1" within the terrain like it was in the basic rules at first and the rule would be good enough and usable in the game.

• Like 2

I'm pretty happy with the set and the ruins. The tough call will be whether to paint ruins for the lava side or the vines side.

I'm leaning towards vines and then using the old walls / fences kit to make up a small remenants of a farm, over grown and maybe the tombs as well.

I'd also consider columns to cover the plaza with a domed roof

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

Thanks for the review.

You mentioned the design of the aqshy side of the board. They actually used the designs of the Citadel Realm of Battle Gameboard that they had since 2007 or so.

To say something to the 1" rule of the ruines.

I never liked it when GW started to do this 'all models wholy in 1" '  in the  FAQ and later in rules like the Deathworld Forest rules.

The point is, that when your model has a 32mm Base it never can fit wholy in 1" after the base is 1,5" (25mm is about 1") So things, like marauders, Stormcasts (most of my models because I used 32mm quite often because 25mm liked often to small for me) will never get cover because of this rule.

If they only had sad, 1" within the terrain like it was in the basic rules at first and the rule would be good enough and usable in the game.

Yeah, I have one of the 2007 standard game boards. What I meant was, it's not clear if they've made a board and taken a picture of it, or if they've used it as a template but photoshopped in the colouring, as the little skull pools look almost sketched. I'm almost certain it's just a picture of a painted standard realm of battle board, though.

As for the rules, you're right - it's a bit of a ****** ruling as there are few units you can actually get wholly within 1". This half the reason I suggested using the boundaries as area terrain. I'm reluctant to make scenic bases and stick the ruins to it, as I like the fact you can set them up however you like.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2018 at 1:43 AM, Sharkbelly said:

And for skirmish scenarios (or games of Warhammer Quest) you could use a quarter or a half of it.

Using half the board for a 33"x44.5" game board works fantastically for skirmish. The ruins provided in the box alone used on one half make a great amount of scenery, a second box is even better. 

I bought mine yesterday along with 2 extra ruin kits to fill out the board a little. One thing I didnt realise was that the sprues in the blasted hallowheart set are different to the seperate ruins.

The ruins box comes with 2 sets of 2 sprues, each set containing a couple of double length walls, a couple of single length walls and some extra bits.

Blasted hallowheart comes with one of the sets decribed above, and then another larger sprue with other stuff including a triple length wall. The walls n the larger sprue are also slightly less "ruined".

As someone who wanted to use these ruins to kitbash some more functional buildings, the sprue that comes with the hallowheart box is actually the one I want most, but I can't purchase it in bulk without spending most of my money on game boards.

Something to bear in mind!

Other than that the kit is great, and everything looks pretty, even unpainted.

Edited by Brad Gamma
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Brad Gamma said:

I bought mine yesterday along with 2 extra ruin kits to fill out the board a little. One thing I didnt realise was that the sprues in the blasted hallowheart set are different to the seperate ruins.

The ruins box comes with 2 sets of 2 sprues, each set containing a couple of double length walls, a couple of single length walls and some extra bits.

Blasted hallowheart comes with one of the sets decribed above, and then another larger sprue with other stuff including a triple length wall. The walls n the larger sprue are also slightly less "ruined".

As someone who wanted to use these ruins to kitbash some more functional buildings, the sprue that comes with the hallowheart box is actually the one I want most, but I can't purchase it in bulk without spending most of my money on game boards.

Something to bear in mind!

Other than that the kit is great, and everything looks pretty, even unpainted.

Thanks for that - I did wonder how the sprues were arranged!  Fingers crossed GW eventually release the boxed set on their own as it seems a little wasteful to have to buy the board sections if you don't need it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Thanks for that - I did wonder how the sprues were arranged!  Fingers crossed GW eventually release the boxed set on their own as it seems a little wasteful to have to buy the board sections if you don't need it.

Yeah I figured that out on the preview, as its the same approach they did for the 40k board, which they have yet to release the larger sprue separately.  Its a bigger size so doesnt fit in their current boxing sizes nicely.  I guess it could come out as part of a bundle at some point but dont see it being released separate in the shops.  I wonder if we could persuade them to do a direct-only sale of that sprue?  

22 minutes ago, stato said:

Yeah I figured that out on the preview, as its the same approach they did for the 40k board, which they have yet to release the larger sprue separately.  Its a bigger size so doesnt fit in their current boxing sizes nicely.  I guess it could come out as part of a bundle at some point but dont see it being released separate in the shops.  I wonder if we could persuade them to do a direct-only sale of that sprue?  

It never hurts, if enough people request it they might sell it in a plastic zippy bag

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

It never hurts, if enough people request it they might sell it in a plastic zippy bag

I decided to email them since I was suggesting people should, got the expected 'no plans to release this' response.  Hopefully if more of us email them or post of FB pages they might actually do it :D

• Like 2

From the initial photos I saw that larger wall sprue and decided to pick up Blasted Hollowheart over just the Arcane Ruins. Really glad I did too. I can fill the board with the other ruins and stuff I already have. Received mine yesterday and already started playing with it. Painting tomorrow!