Malign Portents

Will Myers

14 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Awfully large box for that single death model...arent they normally stuffed into some tiny plastic box, with a book of instructuons, not the back of the image thing. 

Bit excessive

its not that big once you look at it, compare the size of the sprue to the booklet and then look again at the box - my money is on it being similar in size to the slambo box or maybe a touch larger.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sete said:

White armour? Isn't that those dudes that purge everyone tainted?

One of the hints at a seminar i went to (and something they have said numerous times elsewhere)was... who are the 'good guys' depends on your perspective ;)

Wow! I was hoping for more Free People's stuff so that was cool but the end... 

1 hour ago, stato said:

One of the hints at a seminar i went to (and something they have said numerous times elsewhere)was... who are the 'good guys' depends on your perspective ;)

gave me some chills. We don't know what happens of course but I was confused like 'NO!' so that's good that the short can provoke some emotions like that.  I like it.

2 minutes ago, Mandano said:

Wow! I was hoping for more Free People's stuff so that was cool but the end... 

gave me some chills. We don't know what happens of course but I was confused like 'NO!' so that's good that the short can provoke some emotions like that.  I like it.

Spoiler

Julen seemed sketchy AF to me, he's definitely being corrupted by SOMETHING...but is it nurgle's rot or death's cold embrace?

Maybe we can just put a *spoilers* warning in the thread title? This is the Malign Portents reveals discussion thread, so I really think spoiler wrapping everything from here out will likely get unwieldy fast.

Anyway, I will play along for know. So my thoughts on the story are behind the spoiler button:

Spoiler

Deathcast Ushabtis confirmed!

Not really of course. I guess that could just be a fancyful description of a Knight Excelsior, but I do think a Free Guild Veteran would be able to tell a statue from a regular Stormcast, so I think this is actually a description of a Statue come to (un-)live. Of course, we will not know the relevance of this, as with every other portent, until the other shoe drops. And that may well take months yet.

Unrelated, one thing I do not think has been discussed about the possibility of the outcome of Nagashs plans and the future of GA Death, maybe big Ns great plot is not the launching of a single new force, but powering up/supplanting all his Undead. Basically that would mean, absolutely none of the current faction would see any further developement and get storywhise put to the sideline as "lesser Undead" (bar Deathlords, of course, who can stay on top of the foodchain without being developed further), as in the course of MP Nagash unleashes new and improved "strains" of Undead to serve as his new main forces, as his old ones clearly do not make the cut anymore (they could not even stall the advance of the Dark Gods during the Age of Chaos, and if anything, the opposition is even tougher during the Age of Sigmar).

So maybe we may still get new Ghosts, Zombies, Skeletons, Necromancers and Vampires. But none of these would be Nighthaunt, Deadwalkers, Deathrattle, Deathmages or Soulblight, but always part of another faction with entirely different characteristics. So, for example, Nighthaunt would still represent random escapees from the Underworld, but any new Ghost would be part of a more powerful faction, purposefully unleashed from the Underworld by Nagash.

Essentially, in this scenario the old Undead would be much like the various splinter factions in order. In the background "civilian" forces that only fight if they have to or in more skirmish scale battles , that are important parts of the background, but not major power players. In the tabletop, mostly unsupported factions best suited for GA armies or used as allies.

13 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Maybe we can just put a *spoilers* warning in the thread title? This is the Malign Portents reveals discussion thread, so I really think spoiler wrapping everything from here out will likely get unwieldy fast.

I was only saying no spoilers as a bit of fun, let people have a chance to read it before seeing loads of comments about the end immediately below. Its only been out a few hours and many people will only find out when reading this thread. I think we are probably past the safe point now though (must be on page 35 soon)  :)

2 minutes ago, stato said:

I was only saying no spoilers as a bit of fun, let people have a chance to read it before seeing loads of comments about the end. Its only been out a few hours and many people will only find out when reading this thread.

Well, we are likely to run into this matter with every new story and later book (both GW main and Black Library) released for Malign Portents from here on out. So I thought it would be a good bit of future proofing to mark this thread as "here there be spoilers" in general and not just for this single instance. I think it would help keeping this thread as the ongoing bundled discussion of all things MP on TGA, which is something I have quite enjoyed so far.

Quick thoughts on the new story

Spoiler

I can't help thinking this is kind of a red herring that will turn out to be very different from what it sounds at this stage, as others have said a freeguilder should recognize a stormcast so why describe it so like they do, but equally the lightning and hammer really make it sound like a stormcast. though I'm not sure which of the stormhosts has white armour. I wonder if one of the malign portents is actually stormcasts going mad, we've seen how changed some are after multiple re-forgings, at some point that could well result in something inhuman returning from the forge. Nagash's death magic could also be behind it we know he grasps what he can each time their soul streaks to azyr maybe now he has magic that pulls at their minds even while they live. Still hoping this isn't confirmation of Deathcast as that would be very dull but a Stormhost who are so messed up they have started purging like a 40k inquisitor that would be an interesting development.

42 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Anyway, I will play along for know. So my thoughts on the story are behind the spoiler button:

Hide contents

Deathcast Ushabtis confirmed!

Not really of course. I guess that could just be a fancyful description of a Knight Excelsior, but I do think a Free Guild Veteran would be able to tell a statue from a regular Stormcast, so I think this is actually a description of a Statue come to (un-)live. Of course, we will not know the relevance of this, as with every other portent, until the other shoe drops. And that may well take months yet.

Unrelated, one thing I do not think has been discussed about the possibility of the outcome of Nagashs plans and the future of GA Death, maybe big Ns great plot is not the launching of a single new force, but powering up/supplanting all his Undead. Basically that would mean, absolutely none of the current faction would see any further developement and get storywhise put to the sideline as "lesser Undead" (bar Deathlords, of course, who can stay on top of the foodchain without being developed further), as in the course of MP Nagash unleashes new and improved "strains" of Undead to serve as his new main forces, as his old ones clearly do not make the cut anymore (they could not even stall the advance of the Dark Gods during the Age of Chaos, and if anything, the opposition is even tougher during the Age of Sigmar).

So maybe we may still get new Ghosts, Zombies, Skeletons, Necromancers and Vampires. But none of these would be Nighthaunt, Deadwalkers, Deathrattle, Deathmages or Soulblight, but always part of another faction with entirely different characteristics. So, for example, Nighthaunt would still represent random escapees from the Underworld, but any new Ghost would be part of a more powerful faction, purposefully unleashed from the Underworld by Nagash.

Essentially, in this scenario the old Undead would be much like the various splinter factions in order. In the background "civilian" forces that only fight if they have to or in more skirmish scale battles , that are important parts of the background, but not major power players. In the tabletop, mostly unsupported factions best suited for GA armies or used as allies.

It's not a statue it's a knight excelsior. 

300px-Knights_Excelsior_colors.jpg

I don't know if people read city of secrets but they do this kind of stuff all the time. In the Novel the Lord Veritant is called the white reaper. The whole point of the story is that he is clearly tainted by chaos aka nurgle. The knights excelsior are not "nice" people. Since civilisation is coming back to the realms chaos can now be more insidious to spread their taint instead of open warfare. 

Again the description. 

It was no fur-clad savage that loomed over him, but a statue forged from gleaming metal, rain pouring in rivulets down its stark, white armour. Rippling arcs of lightning swirled around its form, and the warhammer it clutched in one enormous fist. The shadowed sockets of its unforgiving war mask seemed to gaze through Verric’s very soul.

Spoiler

What I find interesting is that we had a stormcast statue with the skull in one of the videos.  Sounds very much like Nagash has managed to get some Stormcast souls back and in punishment has bound them into their own statues and animated them in the same way as Usbanti.

alternativly

Spoiler

It could be a stormcast one of the Knight Excelsior @shinros says, but who's come to kill the tainted son (I'm saying Nurgle due to the symptoms, Nagash tends to suck them dry)

10 minutes ago, Sete said:

It seems Knights Excelsior are the Black Templars of AoS. I approve. 

yup

They pretty much are according to the campaign books they believe those that are not wrought from ayzr can easily be tainted. City of secrets goes into this they have done purges several times.

Just now, shinros said:

Hide contents

It's not a statue it's a knight excelsior fits the description along with the lightning description along with the warhammer.

300px-Knights_Excelsior_colors.jpg

I don't know of people read city of secrets but they do this kind of stuff all the time. In the Novel the Lord Veritant is called the white reaper. The whole point of the story is that he is clearly tainted by chaos aka nurgle. The knights excelsior are not "nice" people.

Spoiler

I know the Knights Excelsior and their Shennanigans. But my argument stands. That guy is a Freeguild Veteran who knows the Free Cities. He would not confuse a Stormcast with a Statue. Might be that it is just flowery language at work, but right now, that this actually means a statue of a Stormcast is just as likely.

Just now, Rogue Explorator said:
  Hide contents

I know the Knights Excelsior and their Shennanigans. But my argument stands. That guy is a Freeguild Veteran who knows the Free Cities. He would not confuse a Stormcast with a Statue. Might be that it is just flowery language at work, but right now, that this actually means a statue of a Stormcast is just as likely.

You are reading too much into it. It's flowery language the malign portents is bringing some "edge" to AOS.

5 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

We will see. It would hardly be without precedent.

Also not everyone has seen a stormcast up close and knights excelsior don't mingle with people at all. They just sit in their storm keeps all day until they need to purge people.

Statue is clearly not to be taken literally, any more than in the many cases when space marines in 40k are called statues. It's a metaphor, perhaps the most obvious one for describing a towering, unemotional human-shaped warrior. He's not making a mistake. You could meet stormcast every day and still use a statue metaphor to describe them when they loom over you.

2 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Statue is clearly not to be taken literally, any more than in the many cases when space marines in 40k are called statues. It's a metaphor, perhaps the most obvious one for describing a towering, unemotional human-shaped warrior. He's not making a mistake. You could meet stormcast every day and still use a statue metaphor to describe them when they loom over you.

Yeah I think thats it in my eyes.  Even freeguild are awed by Stormcast so in the books. I think this is not necessarily going to imply change in the game but is part of the fleshing out of areas of background that have not been told yet. Previously we here of conquest and glories of battle, now we move into the horror of life in the mortal realms seen from the other side...

The Mortal Realms are big places. It's possible he's never seen one up close. The Realmgate Wars were over a hundred years ago now... Also, he was suffering the effects of a big bang at the moment he saw him.

Also: The Stormcast were made to LOOK like the statues of heroes that litter the Mortal Realms, so the people they come to save think they are the good guys (it's all marketing 
;))

Archived