Malign Portents

Will Myers

7 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

Ignoring the strawman at the end there.

Basically what happened here is the same thing that happened to Nintendo when they unveiled the WIIU at E3. They spent the entire conference talking up this brand new faux tablet controller thing they were doing, but never once actually showed a picture of the console.  So everyone who saw the release thought that the WIIU was just a tablet controller for the WII at first and hype died pretty instantly.

GW did the same thing here, they unveiled the cool new features of the thing(Narrative/Book/Campaign) But didn't actually show the new console(models). So the angriest people are people who are assuming (accurately based on the information that has been presented officially as part of the advertising campaign, even if further context suggests otherwise)  that 4 models and a campaign book is what Malign Portents is. If you were following the website as a casual(non-TGA) consumer and you get to the end and it's a book and 4 models you already knew about. So that's why they're upset.

Then you have matched play people who are looking at this and saying; Why do I care? How does this effect me? So they mostly just shrugged and walked off except people like me who are now waiting for the other shoe to drop because the book supposedly has rules content in it, which is historically(Firestorm, All of 40k 7th edition) bad juju.

Then you have lore heads who followed the portents and the videos religiously and after a month of waiting got...a video explaining how the mortal realms work in slightly more detail. Think about the questions we had at the start of the timer and now; they're all the same. We haven't gotten a single answer about anything yet, we don't even really know why we should care other than that it's Nagash and he's evil and powerful.

Some people need to learn to manage their expectations to be more realistic then, and when the expectations are not met, act with less knee-jerks. This is hours after the release of the website, which is just the first step.

Perhaps I also simply need to manage my own expectations, because I expect this sort of reactions from other forums I visit, but not from TGA.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's lots of cool new stuff coming and death players won't be disappointed in the least once the January 40k daemons and Nurgle releases are done.

The story line is moving on along with the time line and the Malign Portents book will hopefully really open up the game even further for those who desire it.

We've just been drip fed a few new models and some teasers, those flood gates are still closed and when they open I get the feeling that it's going to be pretty special.

I'm quietly optimistic, if for nothing else to see the new slant on the grand alliances which will come in the face of what is to come..

12 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Some people need to learn to manage their expectations to be more realistic then, and when the expectations are not met, act with less knee-jerks. This is hours after the release of the website, which is just the first step.

Perhaps I also simply need to manage my own expectations, because I expect this sort of reactions from other forums I visit, but not from TGA.

I find it a little bit insulting to say the people need to manage their expectations better. Especially if it is such a huge crowd voicing their frustration. I mean i got a little disappointed, but also I found the videos and the lore pretty cool. But I also have to defend the people complaining, because I think they are right in doing so.

I often read in this forum that TGA community tries to be a community where people try to be constructive and positive. But I often find posts where some people shut down people who are complaining just because they criticise GW. I think this positivity is often used to completely shut down any opposition. I often see replies at TGA which can be summarized as "You are not positive. So you are wrong and don't have any right to complain!" And if I look back at the posts in this topic I don't find any unconstructive complaints like I have seen on Facebook. In fact I see many people trying to be still constructive in voicing their frustration. 

And I really don't think it is a good way to assume the people complaining have some kind of deficit in their expectation management. 

When I read posts like this I often get remembered back to "Black Mirror: Season 3 Episode 1". I think this episode perfectly portrays what happens to a society, forum or community, which only concentrates on being positive about some things. In the end there is no room for critique even though it might be justified.

50 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I think that is to harsh. Yes, we can guess all that from the existing information, but guessing is a very different think from proper confirmation. If GW wants people to know more is coming, they ought to put that explicitly into an official announcement.

I do agree that how close the Nurgle release and its very solid reveal and this are next to each other is really damaging the appreciation for both.

Harsh? I wasnt trying to be insulting, just factual. I don’t think we found out more than we already knew in that statement is my point. And yes, know. Lets not pretend people aren’t capable of thinking and putting A and B together. This community here is amazing at working with information and it is exciting to see peoples conclusions and how quickly they work out good arguments from rumors and artistic information. Id be sad to see that go to be replaced by a few scribbled lines spelling out every single move GW makes. And if you still can’t make out good conclusions, there is no shame or harm in asking, which was done. And a response was given. 

12 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

What kind of reactions? There is nothing wrong with being disappointed. I can't think of a post that was insulting or angry to GW or any members here on this forum. Comparing this old Warseer and Dakkadakka this is a very non toxic and nice forum with no AoS bashing.

Really liking the effort put into the new page and having a steady stream of backstory to release new material is fine by me.  What's not cool is the painting event they have excludes North Dakota, Colorado, Arizona, and Quebec.  Being from Colorado that kind of sucks and makes me wonder what we did.

1 hour ago, chord said:

There is no data to prove it did quite bad.  It's #FakeNews.  Fact is we'll never know the truth.  

I was working there for a while, as in in GW HQ* itself, back on launch day. The atmosphere was less than cheery. They brought in tons of temp. staff to manage the release and end up having to let them go because the release flunked that badly.

The only I can describe it is; People were sad that the Old World was gone and didn't really want AoS, but they didn't want too see AoS fail either because that meant no Fantasy. It was almost like a; "Was it even worth it?" " kind of vibe.

I was gone shortly after, so I can't comment on the positive changes that came about after, but the financials speak for themselves. 

*Don't get excited I don't have any connections too the studio, I was as far removed from that part of the company as is physically possible.

Just now, Mikester1487 said:

Really liking the effort put into the new page and having a steady stream of backstory to release new material is fine by me.  What's not cool is the painting event they have excludes North Dakota, Colorado, Arizona, and Quebec.  Being from Colorado that kind of sucks and makes me wonder what we did.

you have to forgive the British, we still struggle at times to comprehend that some states in the USA are bigger than the whole of Europe.

The probably still think you can cross the whole country in a few hours - after all you can do one end of the uk to the other in 12 at a comfortable pace!

2 minutes ago, Pariah-Miniatures said:

I’d rather have more cool new models than what you consider a fancy website made with effort called someone’s salary/ job and love

I'd personally rather have a cool website and detailed new background and rules than any new models. I've got decades worth of cool models on my painting backlog and don't need to add to it. ;) 

17 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

What a strange set of exclusions

2 minutes ago, Pariah-Miniatures said:

I’d rather have more cool new models than what you consider a fancy website made with effort called someone’s salary/ job and love

Well you are lucky then because you get both. There are 4 new character models for MP+ some terrain. then for Nurgle there is a battletome, a greater demon, 2 new units and 2 character models - all in the next few weeks AND - a fancy website! :P

Just now, Twitch of Izalith said:

Well you are lucky then because you get both. There are 4 new character models for MP+ some terrain. then for Nurgle there is a battletome, a greater demon, 2 new units and 2 character models - all in the next few weeks AND - a fancy website! :P

... and a nurgling in a blight treeeee!!!!

happy new year everyone, I'm here all week!

Just now, chord said:

What a strange set of exclusions

Your lottery or contest rules must be to restrictive for GW's tastes. I live in Quebec, and our Loto-Quebec rules over any contest available for Quebecers. We get excluded from every online contests ever because Loto-Quebec's rules states that any contest must have their rules and terms, any promotion document or material to be available in French, since it's our official language. If not, then that contest is not valid in Quebec. Look closely at any online contest, Quebec is always excluded LUL what a total BS... 

@Kaleb Daark aww I can't believe I forgot the Nurgling (and his tree).

Seriously though there is more Age of Sigmar stuff coming in the next few weeks than for the last few months! and those Harbingers/Heralds are sweeet :D  

If people really want to be negative there is a special sanctuary for people who can't help but be bitter towards Games Workshop - its called the 9th Age forums... :P

Is something in the website to justify the countdown ? I glanced over it and everything i found i pretty much knew most of it except the characters background. I would guess any death player who expected something, an anticipation or information was terribly dissappointed.

4 minutes ago, P5ychoDuck said:

Your lottery or contest rules must be to restrictive for GW's tastes. I live in Quebec, and our Loto-Quebec rules over any contest available for Quebecers. We get excluded from every online contests ever because Loto-Quebec's rules states that any contest must have their rules and terms, any promotion document or material to be available in French, since it's our official language. If not, then that contest is not valid in Quebec. Look closely at any online contest, Quebec is always excluded LUL what a total BS... 

Yeah Colorado does not allow online competitions to inhabitants of the state.  The individuals on the gw facebook page cleared that up for us!  We can talk to our hobby stores and still share progress, which is fine by me.

32 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

Don't worry too much, it sounds like a lame event anyway, you can paint minis without singing up for it in a store. 

North Dakota I can kind of understand, but Colorado? Does seem strange. 

To be honest, the "They didn't built the hype, it was the community" is a valid argument. But at the same time it doesn't matter. We live in the age of hype, so people is accustomed to BOMBASTIC reveals. Countdowns are a trap nowadays. After a big countdown you could put videos about actual alien lifeforms building the pyramids that some people will be dissapointed.

Right now I'm more poor than a Skavenslave (Christmas has hit hard... and those nice 40k miniatures too) , so maybe thats why I didn't "hyped" myself that much :D 

I'll wait patiently, hoping for some nice new kits for non-Ironjawz destruction.

And the model doesn't reflect it that much, but I'm loving the art for the DarkKoath queen. That face full of squars, those muscles! Thats a warrior, and not a model in a barbarian-bikini!

2 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Don't worry too much, it sounds like a lame event anyway, you can paint minis without singing up for it in a store. 

North Dakota I can kind of understand, but Colorado? Does seem strange. 

Maybe they're marking places as the realm of death.  North Dakota being the vast barren wastes and Colorado holds an undead metropolis :D.

Really cool site and it definitely has sparked my motivation to build and paint.  A major shift in narrative signals a lot new attention for factions that have been in the background during the Realmgate Wars.  I really enjoyed the character Insight pieces as well.  A Grot Shaman that is actually hard to kill?  Sign me up!

3 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

Maybe they're marking places as the realm of death.  North Dakota being the vast barren wastes and Colorado holds an undead metropolis :D.

You're thinking of Utah ;)

Colorado would be the realm of beasts! Well, if picas and marmots count as beasts... 

32 minutes ago, Galas said:

nd the model doesn't reflect it that much, but I'm loving the art for the DarkKoath queen. That face full of squars, those muscles! Thats a warrior, and not a model in a barbarian-bikini!

Its a good balance I think. A female model needs to be obviously feminine to have any impact at all but not so obvious that it draws the attention of the SJW's - in the UK and US anyway and if your company has a certain stock market value!

Lots of stereotypically feminine features (heels, long hair etc) are not particularly practical for hand to hand combat but I would still rather a lack of realism in a fantasy miniature.

I think the warqueen is a pretty good effort at making a cool mini and keeping everyone happy. Neave Blacktalon was too.

Archived