Let's Chat: Mixed Order?

TheNotebookGM

I got two SoD boxes two start AoS because a friend really wanted to make an army of communist Skaven, and it seemed like a good way to test the waters of AoS. Now I'm hooked, and I'm looking to get to 2k. My initial idea for the next step was to grab a Fyreslayers SC and a box of Vulkites to make a sweet Aelf/Duardin mercenary force, but the more AoS media I watch the more I worry that "20 Vulkites and a Runesmiter is the New Black". So I'm back to the drawing board (I'm famous for this, ask my RPG group). The following is what I have models-wise (technically I also have 10 Spireguard put together but I have an irrational hatred for them I can't explain, and I cut the other 10 up to convert an Archmage to a Tenebrael Shard).

High Warden (Technically 2 but I wouldn't want to run two and one is missing a claw because I made a really cool standard for my Swordmasters). 

2 Tenebrael Shards

Archmage

Mistweaver Saih 

2x5 Reavers 

20 Swordmasters 

If I used all of it (not including the Spireguys or the One-Taloned Warden) it'd come out to 1340. 

That leaves me with a lot of wiggle room and I was curious what other folk running mixed order are going with, if Smiter/Vulkites is hacky or I'm being crazy, etc.

Mixed Order? I was thinking the same thing. Before I ever even heard of Warhammer, I loved Warcraft and because of that, I've always had a soft spot for mixed armies that are these mixed massive alliances. So even though Dwarfs are my bread and butter, I've also got some Stormcast and Elves I want to get into the mix. I'm working to get my KOs to 1600 points so I can take them at 2000 points with allies, but even then, I think I'll want to mix it up with some other mixed order armies. What I have now(painted):

Kharadron Overlords

Arkanaut Admiral

Atherkhemish

2x Arkanaut Company

1x Skywardens

1x Endrinriggers

1x Grundstock Thunders

Grundstock Gunhauler

Arkanaut Frigate

Dispossessed

Runelord

1x Thunders

Fyreslayers

Auric Runeson on Magmadroth

Auric Runefather

Auric Runesmiter

1x Vulkite Berzerkers

Stormcast Eternals

Knight Questor

1x Liberators

1x Prosecutors with Javalins

Swifthawk Agents

High Warden

1x Spireguard

2x Reavers

Eldritch Council

Archmage

1x Sword Masters

There's over 2000 points there, so what should I go with? And after that, what should I look at buying for a good mixed order list?

2 hours ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

Why not do a Warcraft theme? Libs and Questor are your Alliance Footmen, Thunderers and Runepriest your Dwarf riflemen,  Archmage your High Elves, overlords your gnomish airship 

I had the same idea even before AoS came out and I have been bringing it forward since. I have a Wanderers based "Night elves" themed order army and I have been painting all my little pointy-ears like that theme. I have converted wild riders to look like dryads (or keepers of the grove), all the warhawk raiders like griffon riders (with the Palladors set), I have converted Iseera out of a dark elves dragon (her humanoid form is a night elf) and now I an trying to convert Cenarion from scratch. if they were not semi useless I would have converted the glade riders like the panther riders in Warcraft III, and the wardancers I had in mind to build them like demon hunters (of course with the witch elves).  I had in mind to recreate Malfurion, Tyrande and Illidan (for the last too I have started but I am missing some pieces) too but need more time.  If I can find the pics I'll upload them but I am really greatfull to ear somebody else trying to do this kind of mash-up:P

• 1 month later...

I'd like to revive this topic :)

Christmas is coming and the inevitable last christmas song is to be heard everywhere so it's time to think about those two weeks "between the years" and what to do with the spare time :D

I recently acquired the hammerhal box and some stuff in order to build a mixed order army. I'm not too unhappy with it but still not totally satisfied. I want it to look more like a really mixed force, rather than two factions only (I know that the collegiate arcane and ironweld arsenal are theoretically separate factions but honestly... they are free people ;-) ) 

So what I have:

2 Freeguild Generals (1 on horse, 1 with banner)
1 Hurricanum
1 Battlemage
1 Lord Castellant

2x 10 Handgunners
10 Liberators

3 Demigryph Riders
3 Aetherwings
3 Vanguards with XBows
1 Gryph Hound

2 Steam Tanks 

Initially when I started with this army I was thinking of heaving a really elite force, the last remains of several armies, thrown together in a frantic attempt to withstand the enemy forces. So I like the MSU approach with this army, as I feel it really fits the theme. 

What I don't like is that the hurricanum and the steam tanks are the only source of punch, but at a pretty stupid level. Its 1k points in three models (yay for the elite aspect, nay for the mixed aspect) and really a stupid one trick pony.  

I'd love to include few more bodies and heroes of other factions (maybe 10 duardin shooters oder some kharadron with a ship?) but I will need to keep some punch as our playing group is somewhat more to "bring hard lists" than other. So as I've been scrolling over the games workshop website for ages now I am hoping for your ideas what you think will fit the theme of a thrown together army with a somewhat elite character. :)

PS: I'd say everything is possible apart from seraphon :D I've suffered too much under those nasty frog worshipping reptiles to being able to not attack them even when on my side ;-) 

35 minutes ago, Myzyrael said:

I'd like to revive this topic :)

Christmas is coming and the inevitable last christmas song is to be heard everywhere so it's time to think about those two weeks "between the years" and what to do with the spare time :D

I recently acquired the hammerhal box and some stuff in order to build a mixed order army. I'm not too unhappy with it but still not totally satisfied. I want it to look more like a really mixed force, rather than two factions only (I know that the collegiate arcane and ironweld arsenal are theoretically separate factions but honestly... they are free people ;-) ) 

You could go for a few Kharadron units?  A khemist and 20 Arkanuats, or 6 balloon guys, would be 340-380pts.  You want the khemist to buff them but either unit serves a purpose.

On 10.12.2017 at 12:25 PM, stato said:

You could go for a few Kharadron units?  A khemist and 20 Arkanuats, or 6 balloon guys, would be 340-380pts.  You want the khemist to buff them but either unit serves a purpose.

Quite a nice idea. Had to think about this some time to understand their role on the battlefield as their range is quite short, they don’t really withstand enemy attacks and seem to be quite weak overall.

But as a countercharging unit with the Khemist buff they should do quite well, especially when the liberators are protecting the front line and the handgunners give some shots from behind too. They should - together with the liberators - be able to advance (slowly) to give me more board control in the middle than in my territory.

so one list could be:

Allegiance: Order
Aether-Khemist (140)
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
Lord-Castellant (100)
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
Steam Tank (280)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Which leaves me with 200 points. I could fill in the hound and 3 demigryphs but feel that I don’t have enough (long range) firepower then to force the enemy coming towards me.

what would you guys suggest to put in there for 200? Or would you change something else in the list? 

On 12/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, Myzyrael said:

I'd love to include few more bodies and heroes of other factions (maybe 10 duardin shooters oder some kharadron with a ship?) but I will need to keep some punch as our playing group is somewhat more to "bring hard lists" than other. So as I've been scrolling over the games workshop website for ages now I am hoping for your ideas what you think will fit the theme of a thrown together army with a somewhat elite character. :)

get a unit of executioners. Within range of the hurricanum they hit on 2+ and every 5+ are two mortal wounds. Very elite, and elves. Giving you man, stormcast, dwarf and elf. 

53 minutes ago, Myzyrael said:

what would you guys suggest to put in there for 200? Or would you change something else in the list? 

And 180 points for 10 ;)  

Here're my mixed order lists:

List1:

Dragonlord  340
-General
-Dragon Lance
-Aelven War Horn
-Quicksilver Potion or Relic Blade
-Legendary Fighter

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix  240

Loremaster  100

Archmage  120

Branchwych  80

10x Skinks  60
-Boltspitters

10x Skinks  60
-Boltspitters

10x Skinks  60
-Boltspitters

5x Dragon Blades  140

5x Dragon Blades  140

6x Kurnoth Hunters  440
-Scythes

3x Vanguard Palladors  220
-Javelins

List2:

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix  240
-General

Celestial Hurricanum  380
-Celestial Battlemage

Loremaster  100

Branchwych  80

10x Skinks  60
-Boltspitters

10x Skinks  60
-Boltspitters

10x Skinks  60
-Boltspitters

10x Executioners  180

10x Executioners  180

6x Kurnoth Hunters  440
-Scythes

3x Vanguard Palladors  220
-Javelins

12 hours ago, Myzyrael said:

Quite a nice idea. Had to think about this some time to understand their role on the battlefield as their range is quite short, they don’t really withstand enemy attacks and seem to be quite weak overall.

But as a countercharging unit with the Khemist buff they should do quite well, especially when the liberators are protecting the front line and the handgunners give some shots from behind too. They should - together with the liberators - be able to advance (slowly) to give me more board control in the middle than in my territory.

20 Arkanauts with 6 skyhooks and a Khemist is 12 shots at 24" range, with even a small amount of luck (or some extra shooting buffs like Damned terrain... or a Hurricanium ;)) thats any monster or hero you point at (+1 to hit on those remember) removed in 1 round of shooting. Count the other 14 arkanauts as ablative wounds, obviously being mindful of battleshock lest they all run away. They can scare opponents into keeping out of range and so are good if you want to cover an objective from afar.

For the spare 200pt; you are short of quick objective grabbers so id go for Prosecutors or Skywardens (which you could give Drillcannons for damage or probably Grapnels for movement shenanigans) depending on what synergies work with your heros.

Which leaves me with 200 points. I could fill in the hound and 3 demigryphs but feel that I don’t have enough (long range) firepower then to force the enemy coming towards me.

I think you have that covered!!!  If you wanted long range swap the Hurricanes for Longstrikes as you have the 12" kharadron pistols and 16" Handgunners for close range killing. You dont really have any combat though (10 liberators wont last on their own) so maybe keep the hurricanes to ensure you can thin out stuff that is in your face or spend the 200pt on 10 more liberators?

On 5/11/2017 at 1:23 PM, Frozenbeast said:

I had the same idea even before AoS came out and I have been bringing it forward since. I have a Wanderers based "Night elves" themed order army and I have been painting all my little pointy-ears like that theme. I have converted wild riders to look like dryads (or keepers of the grove), all the warhawk raiders like griffon riders (with the Palladors set), I have converted Iseera out of a dark elves dragon (her humanoid form is a night elf) and now I an trying to convert Cenarion from scratch. if they were not semi useless I would have converted the glade riders like the panther riders in Warcraft III, and the wardancers I had in mind to build them like demon hunters (of course with the witch elves).  I had in mind to recreate Malfurion, Tyrande and Illidan (for the last too I have started but I am missing some pieces) too but need more time.  If I can find the pics I'll upload them but I am really greatfull to ear somebody else trying to do this kind of mash-up:P

Plese do find those sweet picks !

Oh my ... recently had a game of 1750 where one of my friends gave me 10 of his arkanauts and a khemit. Holy moly, even only with three skyhooks they are devastating, especially when targeting monsters and having help from the hurricanum.

One thing I‘ve noticed is the extreme lack of movement in this army. Will try out a frigate next time to test if they can quickly deploy a unit on an objective... though I‘d love to put 20 arkaunats with the khemist in there, but the ironclad is a bit expensive, especially point wise... :D

On 11/3/2017 at 9:08 AM, TheNotebookGM said:

I got two SoD boxes two start AoS because a friend really wanted to make an army of communist Skaven, and it seemed like a good way to test the waters of AoS. Now I'm hooked, and I'm looking to get to 2k. My initial idea for the next step was to grab a Fyreslayers SC and a box of Vulkites to make a sweet Aelf/Duardin mercenary force, but the more AoS media I watch the more I worry that "20 Vulkites and a Runesmiter is the New Black". So I'm back to the drawing board (I'm famous for this, ask my RPG group). The following is what I have models-wise (technically I also have 10 Spireguard put together but I have an irrational hatred for them I can't explain, and I cut the other 10 up to convert an Archmage to a Tenebrael Shard).

High Warden (Technically 2 but I wouldn't want to run two and one is missing a claw because I made a really cool standard for my Swordmasters). 

2 Tenebrael Shards

Archmage

Mistweaver Saih 

2x5 Reavers 

20 Swordmasters 

If I used all of it (not including the Spireguys or the One-Taloned Warden) it'd come out to 1340. 

That leaves me with a lot of wiggle room and I was curious what other folk running mixed order are going with, if Smiter/Vulkites is hacky or I'm being crazy, etc.

Ive just picked up a High Warden to lead my mixed Order Tempest Eye army. He seems pretty decent for the points and with Tempest Eye +4" move on the first turn thats a 20" move, re-roll charge (any dice) and a 6" (unrestricted) pile in. Give him legendary fighter (+1 attack) and relic balde (+1 damage) and thats 3A 3+ 3+ -1 4D! for the lance on the charge, plus his sword and griffon attacks, not to mention re-rolling any failed hits and wounds if i can cast Hand of Glory on him from a Loremaster. He he...  :D

8 hours ago, stato said:

Give him legendary fighter (+1 attack) and relic balde (+1 damage) and thats 3A 3+ 3+ -1 4D! for the lance on the charge, plus his sword and griffon attacks, not to mention re-rolling any failed hits and wounds if i can cast Hand of Glory on him from a Loremaster. He he...  :D

I give mine Legendary Fighter and Obstinate Blade. Open them cans.

What do you guys think about this list? 

Changed the roles of the units a bit, handgunners are now no longer dedicated to deal a serious amount of damage (with the generals buff) but more to stand, hold objectives or play meat shield for one turn.  

One unit of arkanauts would be used to sit back and help shooting, the other would do the same but have the frigate next to it in case it needs to get somewhere fast for objective grabbing (that's why I've split them, even though that will reduce the efficiency of the khemist a bit).

Potentially, I could only use 5 Liberators or 2x5 but leave out the castellant, then I'd have 120 points for a different hero left. 

Allegiance: Order
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
- General
Aether-Khemist (140)
Lord-Castellant (100)
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
Steam Tank (280)
Arkanaut Frigate (280)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

What do you think? 

1 hour ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Definitely change the vanguard raptors to longstrikes. 

With only units of 10 arkanauts, the khemist is probably just better as another 10 ark (20pts cheaper and still get 3 more hooks but with 10 models instead of one).

Indeed... how could I‘ve missed that. Thank you sir!

Was also thinking about using the longstrikes for more threat and mortal wound capability.

I need help team. My main AoS friend plays Skryre and I've been able to win exactly one of our last 7 games. We've both gotten new minis for Christmas and we played 3 games yesterday and he trounced me. With the Warpstones letting him drop 12 mortal wounds on the board he just wipes swordmasters and reavers so fast, does anyone have advice on beating them? We've been playing at 1500, I'm still tweaking my list but I'll provide the lists for the game I got the closest to having a chance. We've just been rolling for command traits and artifacts. I know my list was 1520, we just played it anyway because he'd already wiped the floor with me twice. 

Him:

Skryre Allegiance 

Arch-Warlock

2 x Warlock Engineer

1 x Skaven Warlord (ally)

2 x 3 Stormfiends - battleline

- 1 Grinder, 2 Warpfire

- 2 Doomflayer, 1 Warpfire 

4 x 1 Poison Wind Mortar Team

1 x 40 Clanrats (ally)

- Spear and Clanshields

Me:

High Warden

Archmage

2 Tenebrael Shards

Runesmiter 

5 Reavers

20 Vulkite Bezerkers

20 Swordmasters

He tends to just put all the mortars down, heroes right next to them, wrap them in Clanrats and then force me to either assault the death star or face a possible 12 wounds every turn . And as a bonus, stormfiends. The closest I've gotten was just charging everything in 1st turn and hoping I could kill him quickly enough but he won the race. Anyone have tips? Ideas for models to get me to 2k? I really like the shards but I feel like I'm better off dropping them and using my Runeson on Magmadroth to run up and use his bubble to help my vulkites with that first charge. Also, Skywardens for hero hunting. 

TL;DR 

I keep getting my ass kicked by techrats, help!

ten more vulkites to round out that unit to 30. A loremaster or two is good for high damage single models like the high warden. Maybe a couple of annointed on pheonixes? They make really good tanks and add negatives to hit, although that skryre stormfiend alpha will be brutal no matter what you do really. If your buddy keeps rocking skryre, then you probably just can't win with the army you got. Skryre's actually really good and though it's a one trick pony, that trick is really good.

Echoing the finish massive reg on vulkites (it'll be cheap!). Those 240pts of tenebrael shards are doing you no favors in this matchup, and I think they're rather underwhelming as a whole. Getting yourself some ranged should be high on your priority. Something like 3-6 Longstrikes or maybe 10 judicators, or maybe 20 arkanaut, whatever. Those warpfire throwers are super short range and stormfiends are slow.

Also, as an aside, be sure to play with properly numerous terrain and with the mysterious rules, and use matched play battleplans with objectives and points. It's a lot harder for people turtle up and play 'come at me bro' when you're playing proper AoS with the need to spread out, project power, and score points.

Archived