How do you handle all your Warscrolls?

Bit of an odd question (and hopefully it's not been asked before).  How does everybody handle the plethora of Warscrolls during a game?  Do you just refer to the app or your book when you need to, have you photocopied the Warscrolls out and put them on your gaming board, have you shrunk them on a photocopier?  Or something different.  I think my small force of Bloodbound has around seven plus a Battalion which in A4 sized is quite a bit of paperwork :P

Years ago it was pretty straightforward as each unit fundamentally could be condensed into a single line on a spreadsheet (same with 40k) so not sure if there is a general way of doing this for AoS

The app has gotten worse for me since launch. Originally it had a phone display version where you'd get the stats on a page and then scroll to the rules. Now it's basically the big PDF to navigate around.

An update where they cut the fluff (once added to your My Battle) and just give you what counts would be far better from a UI experience.

For a tournament I'd probably print them off into a nice slip folder. Maybe some personal sketches and little fluff blurbs. Then hand it in at the end to fudge a 2:2 grade.

I only use the app for idle browsing, and wouldn't rely on it during a game.

I've tried printing out the Warscrolls as A5 reference cards (see below). It's a bit more paper shuffling, but it does the trick at the scale I play at.

Warscrolls.jpg

6 minutes ago, Stylus said:

I've tried printing out the Warscrolls as A5 reference cards (see below). It's a bit more paper shuffling, but it does the trick at the scale I play at.

Warscrolls.jpg

I love these! Do you have the templates? (I actually play Sylvaneth so the ones you have would be great :) )

2 hours ago, Shane said:

The app has gotten worse for me since launch. Originally it had a phone display version where you'd get the stats on a page and then scroll to the rules. Now it's basically the big PDF to navigate around.

An update where they cut the fluff (once added to your My Battle) and just give you what counts would be far better from a UI experience.

For a tournament I'd probably print them off into a nice slip folder. Maybe some personal sketches and little fluff blurbs. Then hand it in at the end to fudge a 2:2 grade.

I thought that was just me mis-remembering how the app displayed them...  Completely agree that the app should be displaying a properly optimised battle list rather than a "favourites list"

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

For my game last week, I made a simple Google Doc summary (see below for a PDF copy) with the information in. Meant I wasn't carrying loads of stuff around but if my opponent wanted to check the scrolls, we could check on my phone or in the book.

Cool, quite nice to see how you've laid it out

1 hour ago, Darth Alec said:

I just use the app 90% of the time. If I'm using a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with, I bring the scroll on paper for myself and my opponent.

Out of curiosity do you use the app on a phone or tablet?  Like @Shane, I find a small screen with A4 Warscroll to be a bit of a pain (though my experience is mostly during lunchtimes or on the bus home)

4 minutes ago, Stylus said:

Warscrolls.jpg

That's really neat.  The photo at the top really does use up a lot of space unnecessarily!  Must admit the "old world" Warscroll PDF's are nice in that they have a fairly simple background.  The new ones either have a bigish background or are part of an epub.

I currently use the app as, to be honest, I've only recently looked at it properly and seen that you can pick and choose which warscrolls to have in the 'My Battle' section. I find that this massively reduces the amount of paperwork I have to carry around and space I have to take up on my edge of the battlefield. I have an iPad which the app works fine on but I also have an iPhone 5S which it doesn't seem to work on very well at all. It loads etc but is too small to read some of the special rules. When I zoom in it just goes wrong as it can't be scrolled around as it kinda 'sticks' and cuts off the edges after it has moved a bit so that the only bit that can be seen is the bit that originally loaded onscreen. That probably makes no sense but basically it doesn't work on my phone which is a big disappointment as I'd prefer to just use the phone as I have it with me anyway and could be doing without lugging the Pad around as well.

I've actually just asked my wife to have a go at replicating the 40k style battlecards for my AoS SCE army as she enjoys that kinda stuff and it can cut out the fluff and just have what I need at a glance. I'll have to nag her to get it done then see if they work well enough or not.

I use the app as well. Mostly because it is easier to carry my tablet that heavy battletomes.

The other thing is that the latest Games Workshop translations are... let's say not as good as they used to be ^^

So having the original English version of the rules/warscrolls is better (French player here btw).

Just had a mess around and knocked out a crude (and I mean crude) html template...  Has proven that it's feasible to create a little web app with an optimised mobile version.  If I get enough time, I may knock together a listing for my Bloodbound and see if it works this weekend

Capture.JPG

For the armies I've found time to do it for, I use quartermaster. You can easily edit your list and then when you publish it as a PDF you can easily see all stats and abilities on one page then the ability rules are in alphabetical order underneath.

It just takes time to import all your Warscrolls correctly.

6cf40eefc2d04a1ae37d887faea545a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Knight of Ruin said:

Could you share that template? i made 9cm by 6,4cm cards with PowerPoint. It works very similar to Warmachine cards, but it doesn't look nearly as good.

Happy to - it's an html file with a few images so you'd need to edit & manipulate the HTML to get it working for you in it's current form :D  Like I say, depending upon time, I'd love to create a proper web app where you can input all of your units/details.  Biggest challenge is making sure that you don't put anything up for free that GW charges for, so some items you'd not be able to have "pre-populated".  I'm currently thinking of doing a Silver Tower character card web app so might try and bundle the two together.

I quite like the idea of playing card sized stats.  Though units that have depreciating stats need two cards I can see the benefit of having them small for the gaming table.

14 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

For the armies I've found time to do it for, I use quartermaster. You can easily edit your list and then when you publish it as a PDF you can easily see all stats and abilities on one page then the ability rules are in alphabetical order underneath.

It just takes time to import all your Warscrolls correctly.

I think Quartermaster is ios only?  I'm not a big fan of separating the abilities off if I'm honest.  Battlescribe does this and I've always found it a pain in the bum when you're actually playing.  Like a lot of things it's down to personal opinion and what works for you.  I'm sure that once you've done a few games you're not having to refer to the sheets quite as often.

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I think Quartermaster is ios only?  I'm not a big fan of separating the abilities off if I'm honest.  Battlescribe does this and I've always found it a pain in the bum when you're actually playing.  Like a lot of things it's down to personal opinion and what works for you.  I'm sure that once you've done a few games you're not having to refer to the sheets quite as often.

I prefer to keep everything on my phone rather than cards/paper. It might look a pain in the ass but actually ends up being fine as most of the time you only want the stat line and keywords. Then the abilities to check no and then. 

Whilst learning an army though I'll use a battletome or GA book probably with the Warhammer App as well. 

45 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I prefer to keep everything on my phone rather than cards/paper. It might look a pain in the ass but actually ends up being fine as most of the time you only want the stat line and keywords. Then the abilities to check no and then. 

Whilst learning an army though I'll use a battletome or GA book probably with the Warhammer App as well. 

My problem is I find myself jumping between apps to take pictures, tweet and look up stats. The battery on my phone tends to get drained quite quickly, so like to use hard copy of the rules where possible,

My problem is I find myself jumping between apps to take pictures, tweet and look up stats. The battery on my phone tends to get drained quite quickly, so like to use hard copy of the rules where possible,

That is true, I normally game at home anyway so that's no issue. But if it's all in one PDF then that should drain minimal battery. And is easy to print out on a page or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Paul@DiceFiend.com said:

When I zoom in it just goes wrong as it can't be scrolled around as it kinda 'sticks' and cuts off the edges after it has moved a bit so that the only bit that can be seen is the bit that originally loaded onscreen.

I had the same issue on my 5S until I found that you can scroll when zoomed in, you just need to drag with two fingers instead of one.

I've taken to printing out the PDFs in a small booklet for the force that I am using and taking that along with me, printed double sided on A4. 

I have only played a few games and so I usually add a cover sheet with a table setting out the turn order and things I need to remember to do in each turn, for example:

Hero phase

General pass on re-roll 1s to save or Inspiring Presence

3 spells (horrors, changeling, sorcerer)

Changeling can use spells of wizard in 9”

Mutalith mutation within 15”

Shaggoth – spell to heal D3 in 20”

Maybe one day I won't need the crib sheet...  :)

I didn't have internet in Sweden (cellular) so I used the page from the instructions in Fyreslayers kit. Only blisters did not include, so only Grimwrath B, Runemaster and Battlesmith (used IoS Battletome for those). When play with my legacy models willneed to print something as the app on my iPhone is often a pain in the ass to zoom in and move around. Like, it lines up weird and usually can't easily see the whole scroll.

The Skarbrand scroll is messed up in the app for me (android), so have to use paper. Have put all my scrolls into Excel so I can print on one or two pages for a battle.  I also like having the paper at hand to record who's turn it is and other such things.

Use the app. Although it ****** me to no end when some pages on a warscroll won't load. Then you have to back out of the warscroll and back into it and it loads fine (although, some other page is sure not to).

Certainly the idea of having cards or print outs with only the units you're using is appealing though and something I may consider once I finish off my current force. I'm passing on the Grand Alliance books, feel that there'd be too much flicking around to be honest (I have the Order one only because I wanted to read up on the fluff for ideas for my next army).

I've made these for all the units in my army. They are standard playing card sized so I've just printed this out and put them in those plastic sleeves used for MtG and the like.

AoSPalyingJPEG.jpg

Much easier than stuffing around with the app or the books or having reams of printed warscrolls on the table. It also does not clutter up the table and is easy to just pick the cards for the army in using and put the rest away.  

Archived