Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dino peeps. I am trying to help my son build a 2 k list. He really likes skinks, carnosaur and the bastiladon. How does the following seem

Slann starmaster

Old blood on carnosaur 

skink star priest 

skink priest

skinks 30 w blowpipes and buckler 

skinks 20 w clubs and buckler

Saurus  warriors 10

Ripperdactyles 3

Batiladon

Balewind vortex

Shadow strike battalion

we still need the Slann, ripperdactyles  and bale wind.

we also have 8 knights.

How does this look for a fun list? Or should we be doing some other type of build e.g. Get a second start collecting set.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, Hot Peanut said:

Hi *, I have a question about Slann Starmaster, with his Allegience Battle Trait he can unbind spells on the whole battlefield, but must he in sight?

It says "unbind from anywhere". If they wanted it to require line of sight they would have written it something like "unbind from any distance"

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

It says "unbind from anywhere". If they wanted it to require line of sight they would have written it something like "unbind from any distance"

However, the basic rules say that you can unbind a spell if you're within 18" and can see the caster. I would read "unbind from anywhere" to merely change the distance requirement. It's unclear enough to merit questions. That said, I think I've typically used it as no longer requiring line of sight, but I'll probably look to get confirmation prior to Adepticon about how it will be played there.

23 hours ago, rokapoke said:

However, the basic rules say that you can unbind a spell if you're within 18" and can see the caster. I would read "unbind from anywhere" to merely change the distance requirement. It's unclear enough to merit questions. That said, I think I've typically used it as no longer requiring line of sight, but I'll probably look to get confirmation prior to Adepticon about how it will be played there.

While I get your point, ANYWHERE on the battlefield is pretty clear itself. You cannot misjudge ANYWHERE as it doesn't say "almost anywhere" or "anywhere but / except..". Anywhere means behind a tree, inside a house, at the bottom corner. Anywhere simply means anywhere :P

• 3 weeks later...

To the users who also post and have an account in Lustria Online... Can you tell my why if I try to open that forum I now see a web page advertising the "best usa dating site 2016" instead of our lovely scaly forum?

Don't tell me Lustria Online is no more, please!

1 hour ago, Freddy25 said:

To the users who also post and have an account in Lustria Online... Can you tell my why if I try to open that forum I now see a web page advertising the "best usa dating site 2016" instead of our lovely scaly forum?

Don't tell me Lustria Online is no more, please!

They had problem and switched provider, the new url is  : http://lustriaonline.com

I am seriously considering doing a take on a Kroak Bomb list. Here is my initial draft;

Lord Kroak 450
Astrolith Bearer 160
Eternity Warden 140
Skink Priest 80
Skink Star Priest 80
5 Saurus Guard 100
5 Saurus Guard 100
5 Saurus Guard 100
Bastilidon w/ solar engine 280
Bastilidon w/ solar engine 280
Eternal Starhost 130
Balewind vortex 100
Total: 2,000

The general idea is to turtle in a central spot, with the saurus guard bubble wrapping everything else. With the battalion and skink priest, they will have a 2+ rerollable save, and deal d3 damage if they dont move and rerolling to hit rolls with the astroleth bearer. Kroak mounts up on the balewind, getting 2+ to cast and a +8 and a double on range between it and the astrolith (with another +6 on doubles). He will be casting his spells, and generating rerolls. Bastilidons get rerolls to hit, rerolls to saves, and one will probably be mystic shielded. Star Priest is there to debuff potential threats. Once bubble wrap is no longer needed, units can be displaced to grab objectives.

I love all the synergies in this list. There are some major drawbacks though. Mortal wound spam will eat through the saurus guard fast, and heroe sniping can dismantle it quick. Things like the new DoK Blood Stalkers are a concern with their ranged mortal wound output, but at least the star priest can neuter them some what. It's low model count but high drop, and relies on displacement rolls for mobility.

I love to hear some feed back on this list. 

Hello Everyone,

I managed to place 3rd in the Champs this last weekend. Here is my list:

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
Engine of the Gods (220)
- Artefact: Light of Dracothion 
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
Skink Starpriest (80)
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
40 x Skinks (200)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
40 x Skinks (200)
10 x Skinks (60)

Units
9 x Ripperdactyl Riders (420)
1 x Salamanders (40)

Battalions
Shadowstrike Starhost (170)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 149

I played against a moulder list, alarielle sylvaneth list (my only loss), and three stormcast (stardrake, vanguard wing, and aetherstrike).

Ripperdactyls were great and accounted for a hellpit, 6 rat ogres, 20 dryads, treelord ancient, 36 liberators, and 5 judicators. I outdropped every opponent and always took first turn. The list works well with having many different ways to deal damage (range, MW, combat) and everything does something from the very start of the game

Other than the one loss I got max points in every other game and max soft scores. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer. Also you can follow me on Twitter @Mr_Trunzo.  Thanks!

I asked the TO ahead of time and he ruled that you could place the toad on the first turn even if the rippers were not on the table as it does not affect any other unit until the rippers arrive.  It would be a latent rule like the blue horrors or summoning where the rule exists even though they are not on the table.

So I was in the Adepticon championship last weekend ("in" being a relative term, as I was a bottom-table warrior in rounds 2-5). I seemed to be one of the few not running a battalion and/or Kroaknado (which, to be fair, is a component of my poor performance -- not the driving factor, but a part of it).

Looking around at the armies, it was great to see our faction represented so well! I have a question about Bastiladons, though. I saw a lot of them over the weekend -- some armies had multiples (like mine), but a vast majority of them were the Laser Turtles. I personally ran one of each, and while the Laser Turtle certainly contributed to the handful of positive outcomes I had over the tournament, I feel that my Snake Turtle was far and away the MVP of my force.

My question is this: why have so few Bastiladon players embraced the Ark of Sotek? (Note that I'm judging "few" relative to the number who ran one or more Solar Engines.) I imagine many of them/you looked at the warscroll and said (as I had) "2D6 shots, rend -1, damage 2 (or 3) with a 20 inch range? Yes please!" But I used to face an opponent running Seraphon with an Ark of Sotek Bastiladon whom I could never kill, and I became a convert (and ultimately bought his Bastiladon after he abandoned the army for Ironjawz). In fact, I'm considering buying a third Bastiladon just to build a second Ark of Sotek (though I'll likely magnetize #3 for full customizability).

Why has the community at large (seemingly) abandoned the Ark?

I've wondered the same thing, I've been playing some random lists lately but tend to always have a Basti in there.  The Ark has always outperformed the Solar Engine for me, usually miles ahead for the ark.  I'm at the point where unless i take two I dont think the Solar engine is worth taking.

One factor may be that it used to be fairly hard to get the Bastiladon where you wanted, with the 5" move they definitely werent fast.  But now with teleporting its so easy to get them in to a good position in the first round and then just let them sit there and either hand out mortal wounds or control a 16" circle around himself where nothing dares to go.

Ark of Sotek requires some finesses to make it useful while the Solar Engine is just always good.

Overall I rate the Ark as potentially more powerful but the combined focused fire of a Solar Engine and Stegadon bow is enough to snipe a lot of heroes and monsters, especially in a Thunderquake and with an Astrolith.

I'm really surprised more people aren't running the Engine of the Gods + Prism of Amyntok + Curse of Fates combo - doing D6+1 mortal wounds in the hero phase and then D3+1 in the movement phase is brutal!

2 hours ago, TomParry84 said:

Only if you don't move the engine in the movement phase though, people are now using them a lot more aggressively than they used to myself included!

If only we could teleport units in the hero phase...

Archived