NEW FAQs, Compendium, Forgeworld

Rhellion

2 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

I missed that - why is that?

All relevant rules follow:

Screenshot_20170825-140335.jpg.e54e0eae7e3e64ee28e4bd0c4e09efb3.jpg

Screenshot_20170825-134532.jpg.3dbb2937c291b16749b0b6c162f1b071.jpg

Screenshot_20170825-140420.jpg.e39d670bca11350b8d0c39a56d14877b.jpg

The key is in the core rules.  "Each successful attack does a number of wounds equal to it's Damage characteristic."

Previously, a Stonehorn halved TOTAL damage.

Now, it halves WEAPON damage, rounding up.  So each successful wound from a 1 Damage weapon does 0.5 Damage, which rounds up to 1.

So where previously, 10 total damage would have to 5, now each point of the 10 halves to 0.5, rounds back up to 1, meaning 10 Damage gets through.

I'm honestly not surprised by the ruling, as it's EXACTLY how they rules 1 damage weapons to affect Bobby G in 40k.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Overall the changes look awesome.  The only one that has me a little bummed is the loss of the Deathrattle keyword on the Tomb Kings skeletal units.  Was hoping to backdoor some Skeletal Archers in my Deathrattle army.

This exactly, I had a whole deathrattle/tomb kings force in the works, fortunately I'll just transition it fully to tomb kings but still a shame.

Biggest changes I am happy about. 

Aforementioned changes to the Stone Skeleton ability

1:  Page 74 – Battle Traits, Masters of Destiny
Change the Damage roll bullet point to:
‘• Damage roll (e.g. any roll that determines a Damage

characteristic, but not any roll that determines
the number of mortal wounds inflicted by a spell
or ability)’

2 :  Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability,

does it mean that the ability is applied only once when the
criteria for the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability

said ‘Add 1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6" of any
models with this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a
model that was within 6" of three models with the ability, or
would I add 3?
A: The ability is applied only once, no matter how many
times the criteria are fulfilled – ‘any’ is treated as being
synonymous with ‘one or more’ in the Warhammer Age of
Sigmar rules. In the example, this means that 1 would be
added to the hit rolls, not 3.

3:  Q: If I summon a Balewind Vortex, unsummon it and then
summon it again, do I have to pay reinforcement points
each time?
A: Yes.

8 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

And ... The Balewind Vortex summoning cost happens for each time it is summoned.

Hmm... do you get the points back if something is "unsummoned" ... or is it just a "one way charge"?

Think of it as a date interrupted by an emergency call.  She leaves early and you're stuck with the bill.  When you get that second date, you're stuck with the bill again.

Age of Sigmar, mirroring life since 2017.

Woah, the compendium special characters are goooone (either renamed to be AoS appropriate, or replaced with a substitute warscroll)! And looks like everything can only be fielded in Grand Alliance allegiance armies due to having no faction keywords...

Theyve kept to the letter of letting people keep playing with their old models... but is anyone really gonna be happy with this solution? I'd've preferred they just ditch the lot, at least that'd be a clean break!

2 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

Woah, the compendium special characters are goooone (either renamed to be AoS appropriate, or replaced with a substitute warscroll)! And looks like everything can only be fielded in Grand Alliance allegiance armies due to having no faction keywords...

Theyve kept to the letter of letting people keep playing with their old models... but is anyone really gonna be happy with this solution? I'd've preferred they just ditch the lot, at least that'd be a clean break!

It's squatting compendium (aside from full compendium armies) while maintaining plausible deniability.  I really hope GW adds back the battalions that were lost here. Brayherd and Warherd both *really* relied on their compendium battalions to remain relevant. I'm sure other armies are in a similar situation.

1 minute ago, Captain Marius said:

Yeah they seem to have gone out of their way to make playing with old models difficult, Death player's won't even be able to summon tomb kings units now and your free people just lost any brets. I do appreciate the AoS renaming of special characters to work better with the setting but overall if you like to sprinkle a few older warscrolls into your army for variation it seems like GW are giving you the middle finger.

I'm really impressed by this. GW has shown now a willingness to fix issues on warscrolls -- whether to address overstrength (like Sayl's spell) or to alleviate confusion in application (like the Stonehorn). They're really going the extra mile for the players!

14 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

It's squatting compendium (aside from full compendium armies) while maintaining plausible deniability.  I really hope GW adds back the battalions that were lost here. Brayherd and Warherd both *really* relied on their compendium battalions to remain relevant. I'm sure other armies are in a similar situation.

I just read a whole article on the Warhammer Community site about how great Brayherds are going to be under GHB2017 with the inclusion of Herdstones again and other topics.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/22/rhuairidhs-brayherds/

7 minutes ago, Travis Baumann said:

I just read a whole article on the Warhammer Community site about how great Brayherds are going to be under GHB2017 with the inclusion of Herdstones again and other topics.

I read that. I just don't see those balancing out with the loss of a huge (16") aura of +1 to charge/run/hit rolls without conditions (gorthor), a 16" +1 to wound aura for planting a banner (BSB), and a reasonably sized battalion granting +1 attack to all weapons within 8" of a few key characters (furious brayherd). 

Now the only command trait beastmen have is conditional on your fragile character having killed things in combat the turn before. 

Herdstone seems like it will be awesome for some scenarios, but bonuses for hanging out near a fixed point don't play into the strength of beastmen (speed and mobility). 

Compendium was only ever intended as a tool for people to use during the transition from WHFB to AoS

It's great that they're finally ripping off the band-aid, it's been long enough imo.

I love that they've made a concerted effort to rule out buff-stacking across the board too, huge props to GW for this set of FAQs!

4 minutes ago, Travis Baumann said:

Yeah I think brayherds will do fine since they are getting new alligence abilities, traits, artifacts ect. Warherds are looking a little less viable, but they make great allies so I see them being used more in that role from now on.

Archived