Jump to content

Rogue Idol Alternative models?


AthlorianStoners
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have the Hordes Glacier King on hand to be converted into a Rogue Idol. Just got the new base size to match the one listed on Forgeworld today (170x105) :-)

I plan on using some of the GW texture paints to make the snow into dust and dirt, and will paint him to look like something fitting the Realm of Ghur. Some skulls from the new skull-kit, twigs from Sylvaneth or nature, a handful of tufts and cutting off or covering of the icicles should do most of the work, then I hope the paintjob will do the rest to make it look like a pile of rocks, dust, skulls and debris got animated by Orruk WAAAGH energy.

glacier-king.jpg&f=1

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 8/25/2017 at 9:32 AM, Spiky Norman said:

I have the Hordes Glacier King on hand to be converted into a Rogue Idol. Just got the new base size to match the one listed on Forgeworld today (170x105) :-)

I plan on using some of the GW texture paints to make the snow into dust and dirt, and will paint him to look like something fitting the Realm of Ghur. Some skulls from the new skull-kit, twigs from Sylvaneth or nature, a handful of tufts and cutting off or covering of the icicles should do most of the work, then I hope the paintjob will do the rest to make it look like a pile of rocks, dust, skulls and debris got animated by Orruk WAAAGH energy.

glacier-king.jpg&f=1

what a nice model, characterful, fun. much better than forgeworld's chunks of styrofoam look imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello there, sorry for reviving this month old topic, but I feel it's not a question big enough to create a new one from scratch.
This old piece of scenery from Battle of the Skull Pass is very cheap on my local eBay.

I am not sure if it would work as an alternative model? Is the size not good enough? It clearly has no feet to stomp too.
I'm second guessing myself here. Anyone has an opinion on this particular model?

night-globin-idol-of-mork-e-dwarf-warhammer-age-sigmar-D_NQ_NP_549715-MLB25303466091_012017-O.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ockbald said:

Hello there, sorry for reviving this month old topic, but I feel it's not a question big enough to create a new one from scratch.
This old piece of scenery from Battle of the Skull Pass is very cheap on my local eBay.

I am not sure if it would work as an alternative model? Is the size not good enough? It clearly has no feet to stomp too.
I'm second guessing myself here. Anyone has an opinion on this particular model?

night-globin-idol-of-mork-e-dwarf-warhammer-age-sigmar-D_NQ_NP_549715-MLB25303466091_012017-O.jpg

It would be a conversion job rather than a proxy. The bad moon symbol on the top would work wonderfully as the "face" and you have a solid start to the body. You would want to add feet, arms and maybe bulk out the body a bit but it could be a very cool and unique looking Idol.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-170x105mm-Oval-Base

That's the base size you would need to put it on in the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

It would be a conversion job rather than a proxy. The bad moon symbol on the top would work wonderfully as the "face" and you have a solid start to the body. You would want to add feet, arms and maybe bulk out the body a bit but it could be a very cool and unique looking Idol.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-170x105mm-Oval-Base

That's the base size you would need to put it on in the end.

That is a wonderful idea actually!
Bulking up shouldn't be a problem, I just add some debris inside the "mouth" on the body of the mini.
However, is there some ideas for the feet? Where would they go on the model? For the arms/hand I was thinking of wrecking balls, similar to Night Goblin's fanatic weapons. I mean this is going into a Moonclan/grot army list after all if I ever pick it up ( i have some Gobbos mounted on spiders already).

Edited by Ockbald
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ockbald said:

That is a wonderful idea actually!
Bulking up shouldn't be a problem, I just add some debris inside the "mouth" on the body of the mini.
However, is there some ideas for the feet? Where would they go on the model? For the arms/hand I was thinking of wrecking balls, similar to Night Goblin's fanatic weapons. I mean this is going into a Moonclan/grot army list after all if I ever pick it up ( i have some Gobbos mounted on spiders already).

For this I would actually look at it from a "lore" perspective to work out how you want to go to it rather than a model equivalency.

Quote

When greenskins gather for war, their Shamans build mighty idols of Gorkamorka. Some are formed from the rubble of the Orruks’ recent conquests, mortared with noxious Squiggoth dung. Others are built using strange stone quarried in the deep places of the realms, or even incorporate volatile shards of realmstone or shadeglass within their lumpen forms. Daubed with crude sigils, lit by roaring bonfires, the idols sit silent and menacing as the Shamans dance around them and the tribes bellow their war chants. The idols soak up ever more Waaagh! energy until at last the innate magicks of the greenskins react spontaneously with those of the realms themselves.

So basically imagine a bunch of crazed Greenskin shamans building up a giant pile as an effigy of Gorkamorka and then suddenly the thing wakes up, stands up and starts to go on a rampage. 

That's the Aesthetic you're going for and there is a bunch of flexibility in it I feel. Definitely going to require a bunch of work but get it right and it'll look super cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...