Massive regiments first peek - clanrats get 40 pts off

"Massive Regiments. Several units are now discounted in points when taken at their maximum strength, making large units much more appealing choices. A full-sized regiment of Clanrats, for example, is 40 points cheaper than before, allowing you to take full advantage of Strength in Numbers. Fill out your Battleline slots in a 200 point Verminous army like this and you’ll have saved enough points for an allied Deathrunner."

Well, ive longed for the day where i could cut 40 pts off my grots so i could get more squigs, fanatics or shamans, so color me excited!

29 minutes ago, wayniac said:

That does seem like a really large discount.  Also I wonder if that means, for example, you won't be able to take certain units in 10s anymore; for example could skeletons or ghouls or zombies go to 20 min?

I doubt it.  There does seem to be an active pysj in the last several years of what I will call the "legal box."  That is to say, I can't think of a single box out there right now that isn't at least minimum warscroll size right out of the box.  I'm sure there is something and someone will correct me, but I think one of the efforts of the newer GW's customer friendly mentality is not to FORCE someone to buy multiples of the same box just to make a unit.  Sure, they are incentives to make you WANT to, but that's on you at that point, isn't it? ?

25 minutes ago, Criti said:

I doubt it.  There does seem to be an active pysj in the last several years of what I will call the "legal box."  That is to say, I can't think of a single box out there right now that isn't at least minimum warscroll size right out of the box.  I'm sure there is something and someone will correct me, but I think one of the efforts of the newer GW's customer friendly mentality is not to FORCE someone to buy multiples of the same box just to make a unit.  Sure, they are incentives to make you WANT to, but that's on you at that point, isn't it? ?

Likely; Clan Rats are sold in 20s. So are zombies, marauders etc. By this account, I expect their minimums to go up to 20. However Skeletons, Ungors etc are sold in 10s, so they'll probably stick to a min. 10 unit size.

1 hour ago, Tzaangor Management said:

if it is more indicative of a Skaven-like swarm trait?

I expect so as the also raised the minimum unit size to 20 on the clanrats. Which I personally think is a good thing. Never really liked the lists with 3x10 clanrats and then just goodies. 

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

Also I wonder if that means, for example, you won't be able to take certain units in 10s anymore; for example could skeletons or ghouls or zombies go to 20 min?

Clanrats in the screenshot are minimum 20, this used to be 10 so yes I expect them to do this with other armies as well. 

In general I like the focus of gw to get battleline a bit more in involved in the game. (at least that;s how i interprete the hordes rules, upgraded min size and even the allies rules. And of course adding new faction abilities means more focus on specific factions needing the battleline units to be a bit more involved. Color me excited! 

17 minutes ago, Furious said:

Likely; Clan Rats are sold in 20s. So are zombies, marauders etc. By this account, I expect their minimums to go up to 20. However Skeletons, Ungors etc are sold in 10s, so they'll probably stick to a min. 10 unit size.

Liberators and Judicators are 5, but sold in 10.

Prosecutors are 3, but now sold in 6.

I don't expect any of their minimum numbers to rise. 

8 minutes ago, Criti said:

Liberators and Judicators are 5, but sold in 10.

Prosecutors are 3, but now sold in 6.

I don't expect any of their minimum numbers to rise. 

Sure. I'd speculate that larger infantry wouldn't be included in my conclusion.

2 hours ago, Sadysaneto said:

Well, ive longed for the day where i could cut 40 pts off my grots so i could get more squigs, fanatics or shamans, so color me excited!

Do you currently use units of 60?  I generally like the concept but don't feel like anything should be in units of 60.  As a hobbyist that would be soul-crushing.  :P  I feel like 40 or maybe 50 is a good max for even cannon fodder.

I recently started Moonclan but suspect I won't take advantage of this as I feel like units of 40 should be plenty big for Grots.

10 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Do you currently use units of 60?  I generally like the concept but don't feel like anything should be in units of 60.  As a hobbyist that would be soul-crushing.  :P  I feel like 40 or maybe 50 is a good max for even cannon fodder.

I recently started Moonclan but suspect I won't take advantage of this as I feel like units of 40 should be plenty big for Grots.

grots only go to 40, and yup, i have 4 x 40 units :)

1 hour ago, Furious said:

That would be quite a shame. Both Plague Monks and Ghouls are sold in 20s at the moment, and I have made good mileage by using units of 10 as chaff lines to protect my heavier stuff from charges or as a quick distraction. If the horde rules means means the end of such tactics I would be quite sad.

20 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

That would be quite a shame. Both Plague Monks and Ghouls are sold in 20s at the moment, and I have made good mileage by using units of 10 as chaff lines to protect my heavier stuff from charges or as a quick distraction. If the horde rules means means the end of such tactics I would be quite sad.

but, running the rats in 20's now mean you are getting at least a +1 to wound and +1 to hit in addition if you run them at 30 strong.  kind of a nice forced bonus

1 hour ago, Blueisola said:

but, running the rats in 20's now mean you are getting at least a +1 to wound and +1 to hit in addition if you run them at 30 strong.  kind of a nice forced bonus

You can't run clanrats at 30 in ghb17 as they come in blocks of 20. So it's either min sized units of 20 or max-sized units of 40. This leaves less tactical opportunities in my experience.

One thing I LOVE  about the horde rules is that it will likely shift the meta away from high-armor elites/monster lists. This will reduce the dire need for mortal wound spam and heavy rending, meaning more units in more armies will have a chance to see the table. 

49 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

If more different units and more armies show up it won't be as result of the Massive Regiments rule, but a result of the Allies rules and the fact that it looks like everyone and it's gryph hound will be allegianceline.

That will absolutely factor in as well! I'm just saying that hordes getting to basically include another entire unit after taking a few large regiments will only raise the value of high volume/low rend attacks, which are currently less useful than mortal wound spam. 

On 7/31/2017 at 3:29 PM, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Do you currently use units of 60?  I generally like the concept but don't feel like anything should be in units of 60.  As a hobbyist that would be soul-crushing.  

I rather enjoy painting dozens of the same model at once.  It's very soothing for me,  plus the unit looks like a proper regiment on the table rather than a loose assemblage of malcontents. 

I have hundreds of painted skaven slaves, over 400 clanrats half painted (Warhammer being cancelled killed the need to finish them), 300 monopose goboos, and several hundred skeletons in various states of doneness. 

I love hordes.

Sadly, I'm not seeing how hordes will be functionally playable in AoS. Anything over about 50 models makes my games take waaaaaay too long. 

35 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Sadly, I'm not seeing how hordes will be functionally playable in AoS. Anything over about 50 models makes my games take waaaaaay too long. 

Quite a few companies make movement trays suitable for AoS, this can speed things up significantly. The ones I've seen also make things look pretty good.

Archived