GHB2 Speculation Warscroll Update

Trout

I haven't seen anyone else mention this. It would appear that page 113, which is within the Matched Play section, is labelled "Warscroll Update". What do you figure this means? Is there a problematic warscroll that is being updated? Why is this in singular and not plural? Is it a blurb saying that from now on, updates to warscrolls will appear on a certain webpage? Why is it in the Matched Play section? Will there now be different warscrolls depending on whether you play Matched or not?

That's a great question. I wonder if they are going to limit certain units ability from spamming an OP weapon. For instance skaven stormfiends have a number of weapons they can be equipped with, but everyone always takes warpfire projectors as they are the clear and obvious winners. Maybe they want to change a few warscrolls such as this one so you cant take a unit of 6 warpfire projectors? It would make sense, as all of the weapons cost the same (100 per stormfiend) so I can't see how they can make a stormfiend with rattling cannon or a wind launcher viable short of 1) directly buffing the units to add better attack/hit values, 2) have different points value for each weapon (doughtful), or 3) limit the number of warpfire projectors a unit can have (a common theme amongst armies like stormcast). 

1) and 3) are most likely imo and both require a "Warscroll Update."

My assumption is that it contains changes to existing warscrolls. But that doesn't explain why it is in the Matched Play section nor why it is called "Warscroll Update" rather than "Warscroll Updates".

Perhaps it is making a clarification on the instances of having different versions of Warscrolls?  Bloodreavers, Khorgoraths, and a few other Warscrolls have multiple versions out now.  Maybe it's not a list of changes, but just a printed ruling on using or not using different versions of a unit's Warscrolls.

16 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

Perhaps it is making a clarification on the instances of having different versions of Warscrolls?  Bloodreavers, Khorgoraths, and a few other Warscrolls have multiple versions out now.  Maybe it's not a list of changes, but just a printed ruling on using or not using different versions of a unit's Warscrolls.

That makes a lot of sense. That explains why it's in the Matched Play section. At first I thought that can't be it because that wouldn't take up a whole page, but there may be a large image dominating the page and the text doesn't actually take that much. I think this guess is quite likely. It probably says you must use the latest version in Matched Play, which opens the door for them to start tweaking warscrolls after the book is released.

My idea was that they made changes to certain warscrolls that only apply to matched play. Going along with my initial example with stormfiends, maybe youll still be able to take 6 warpfire projectors in open play, but not in matched play. This would certainly match the theme of "take what you want" in open play, while allowing for limitations in matched play. 

To address the singular usage of the phrase. To say they are changing THE warscroll would be all encompassing of all warscrolls. Maybe they are making some general change that will be applied to all warscrolls? 

I hope they'll be mass keyword alterations for old Empire and old Dwarfs giving them "Free Peoples" and "Dispossessed" respectively. Maybe for a lot of Dark Elves too giving them "Darkling Coven".

I hope certain problematic warscrolls are altered. For example toning down Kunnin Ruk rather than ramping the points up to make it unusable.

That's all really :) 

2 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

i think that too.

there are plenty of Units with multiple warscrolls.

4 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I thought about it some more, and I think I agree that this is what it is lol. 

Something of note maybe, that I just realized.  Note that there's no Compendium Pitched Battle Profiles section.  Maybe it has something to do with that.  We know from the preview from way back that Tomb Kings got points increases.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

Something of note maybe, that I just realized.  Note that there's no Compendium Pitched Battle Profiles section.  Maybe it has something to do with that.  We know from the preview from way back that Tomb Kings got points increases.

I imagine GW will just do the sensible thing and put all the compendium units into an appropriate category in the Order/Chaos/Death/Destruction categories. Separating the points for compendium units in GH1 was really a strange way to organize things. 

8 hours ago, bottle said:

I hope they'll be mass keyword alterations for old Empire and old Dwarfs giving them "Free Peoples" and "Dispossessed" respectively. Maybe for a lot of Dark Elves too giving them "Darkling Coven".

I hope certain problematic warscrolls are altered. For example toning down Kunnin Ruk rather than ramping the points up to make it unusable.

I would like that too but I don't think this is how they would do that. It wouldnt make sense for this to be in the matched play section if that's what it was. More likely is that this will be a matched play rule that says you must use the latest warscroll. With that rule in place they can go ahead and make those changes you propose. I think bunkhouse is right on this one.

10 hours ago, bottle said:

I think for most old world factions the keywords aren't a problem, because for the most part GW was pretty good about predicting what factions they were going to create. The only ones that came up negative were the High and Dark Elves, as those factions completely got shattered.

That being said, if they want to support those scrolls. I am a huge advocate of migrating everything to the new world, whether that's making the scroll generic or just giving keywords that make sense. But perhaps with the lack of compendium points section... they may have already decided which way the compendium is going.

Personally I hope the Warscroll update is nothing more than telling us to read what's available online or clarifying how older versions of warscrolls work. Hell, I'd love it if all it says is that each Generals Handbook they will revisit the Warscrolls and may make amendments to them therefore making the ones in your Battletome out of date. So make sure you check the website for updates.

Overall though, the GHB is not the right place for Errata. Errata should be left to the digital side of things, providing pdf's and embedded into the digital copies of the warscrolls. Printing it in the GHB, just serves to waste space and in general, may be ever-growing as some battletomes may never get redone or certainly not anytime soon.

It also being in the Matched Play section is a little worrying. I don't think Warscroll Changes should be done just for balance purposes. But if something has missed the mark on the narrative *Cough*Dragon Ogors*cough*, they should be updated and it should have nothing to do with it being a Matched Play change.

5 hours ago, decker_cky said:

I imagine GW will just do the sensible thing and put all the compendium units into an appropriate category in the Order/Chaos/Death/Destruction categories. Separating the points for compendium units in GH1 was really a strange way to organize things. 

That's going to be really difficult given that the whole Death section is 2 pages in the Index.  I think you're crazy to think that TK or any of the other compendium units will be in this book.  We'll more than likely get a note say that if a war scroll isn't pointed here, you can use the points from the first GHB in matched play.  Alternatively, they'll release a pdf update for the compendium scrolls with their points, kind of like what Forge World does.  This way these units don't take up valuable page space and it will serve as an unofficial shuffling them off to the side as optional rules.  The more I think about it, the more likely something like this might be.

14 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

That was my first thought too, a use the version within the latest publication or similar.  I also reckon we may see a few keyword clarifications/tweaks.

I suspect this Warscroll update may be linked to the new discounted horde units costs.  We may see them simply removing the old horde bonuses from the older warscrolls in favor of offering these units at a discounted point cost instead for taking them in large numbers. 

1 hour ago, Jharen said:

I suspect this Warscroll update may be linked to the new discounted horde units costs.  We may see them simply removing the old horde bonuses from the older warscrolls in favor of offering these units at a discounted point cost instead for taking them in large numbers. 

Hm, don't think, that this will work. Let's take the unit, that actually profits mostly with its numbers, Zombies.

Actually you would take 40+ models so they would hit and wound on 3+ instead of 6.

When you remove the bonuses for discounting the points so you would have 60 models that only will hit and wound on 6.

The "horde" bonuses are an used to make the unit better, after they won't get more models into contact with the enemy after a certain point.

5 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Hm, don't think, that this will work. Let's take the unit, that actually profits mostly with its numbers, Zombies.

Actually you would take 40+ models so they would hit and wound on 3+ instead of 6.

When you remove the bonuses for discounting the points so you would have 60 models that only will hit and wound on 6.

The "horde" bonuses are an used to make the unit better, after they won't get more models into contact with the enemy after a certain point.

This is true, and it may not be a removal of the ability but simply and adjustment to it in accordance with the new pricing.  Or perhaps we'll see a removal of all the abilities but instead it will be replaced with a universal horde bonus that all maxed out units like this get.   Perhaps only certain ones are getting changed or adjusted and others left as is.

I'm largely just guessing at all this anyhow so I won't go to my grave defending it. :)  I'm mostly just looking at the fact we're seeing a change in points to these hordes, and we have a very small amount of space in the new book where these updated warscrolls are to appear.   I certainly don't see them printing any actual warscrolls on this page so it must be something simple, blanketed, or a ruling on how to use warscrolls for matched play.

Archived