First thoughts on Path to glory. What are yours?

Kramer

Somewhat on topic I guess,,but has anyone been able to download the digital book for this?

I keep getting a 404 error and theres a few posts on Reddit about others with the same issue.

Ive been purchasing most of my rulebooks from GW digitally for a few years now though this is the first time ive had this issue.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Thostos said:

Somewhat on topic I guess,,but has anyone been able to download the digital book for this?

I keep getting a 404 error and theres a few posts on Reddit about others with the same issue.

Ive been purchasing most of my rulebooks from GW digitally for a few years now though this is the first time ive had this issue.

I bought it through ibooks and had some problems on my laptop on my phone no problems.

9 hours ago, Azlak the Damned said:

Allegiance abilities are in PtG as one of the Khorne Champion rewards is to gain one Blood Tithe point. Which is the allegiance ability in the Blades to Khorne Battletome. d5f1f7bf1fdaec6deed6fce797561fed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Good catch. Is there something in the Blades book on using Blood Tithe points in narrative play? (don;t have the book myself)

question. i dont have the book (yet). But when you choose your general and then your followers you have do roll a dice. Do I have to choose the one that I get,  beacuse I might not have thoose models. Or can I choose which I want from the followers list?

If Allegiance Abilities are in play, how will you guys do changing allegiances in the campaign?

For example, if you are playing a Sylvaneth Warband and using their battletrait, choosing spells for your wizards, artefacts, command traits etc, and then the player adds a follower from across the Grand Alliance, will you be able to keep any of your previous Allegiance Ability boons or do you lose them all? For example you might presume the battletrait would have to change to the Order one, what about artefacts and spells? It would seem fitting for them to be kept, but then what if I later recruited another Sylvaneth spell caster, would they be able to get spells now I've switched over to the Order Grand Alliance?

I think if I was set a rule it would be your Allegiance Ability is fixed when you create a Warband, and even if you add units from outside your Allegiance you can continue to use your Allegiance Abilities but the non-faction units do not benefit from them.

Another idea is that only Battletraits are in play. Artefacts, Spells and Command Traits could be left out, or could be rewards for custom scenarios.

Seems like the campaign will need some rulings made by all the players at the beginning to avoid confusion.

33 minutes ago, lessthan said:

question. i dont have the book (yet). But when you choose your general and then your followers you have do roll a dice. Do I have to choose the one that I get,  beacuse I might not have thoose models. Or can I choose which I want from the followers list?

You can always choose :) like the Artefacts or Command Traits there is a table to roll on which is optional, you can choose your result instead. (This is explicitly stated on the first few pages). I think for people building armies with Path to Glory you will always want to pick. If you've got a big collection though rolling could be very fun!

1 hour ago, Oppenheimer said:

Still, that's a really disappointing trend.

It's certainly not an unexpected one. We knew from the moment they were taken off the stores and not included in the Grand Alliance books that no more support would be coming for those model ranges other than points in the Generals Handbook.

I hope you're not expecting Tomb Kings allegiance abilities any time soon... Brettonia only manages to get updates due to sharing a keyword with the Freeguild (Something I don't necessarily agree should've actually happened).

That being said, it's very easy to come up with unofficial stuff yourself. Path to Glory, Allegiance Abilities, etc all set a pretty standard template that can easily be followed. Especially for non-points play like Path to Glory, it's a lot easier to get stuff accepted by your group.

As an example, here's a quick Brettonian Path to Glory table I whipped up last week based on what was spoiled on the stream.

Champions Table:
Brettonian Lord : 4 Followers
Damsel of the Lady : 4 Followers

Retinue Follows Table:
1-  20 Men-At-Arms
2-  10 Peasant Bowmen
3-  5 Mounted Yeomen
4-  5 Knights Errant
5-6 5 Knights of the Realm 

Elite Retinue Table: Uses 2 rolls, or 1 roll and 1 glory point
1-2 15 Battle Pilgrims
3-4 5 Questing Knights
5-6 3 Pegasus Knights

Mighty Retinue Table: Uses 2 rolls, or 1 roll and 2 glory points
1-3 Field Trebuchet
4-6 5 Grail Knights

Hero Followers Table:
1-2 Paladin
3-4 Damsel
5   Paladin Standard Bearer
6   Brettonian Lord

Note that the Mighty Followers table is probably more for thematic reasons (and easier to split 5 units into 3 and 2), not necessarily balance reasons. Although I do think Grail Knights are definitely the top pick of the lot if their 'For the Lady' ability is always active. You could probably combine the Elite and Mighty table into one, and just make either Questing or Pegasus Knights a 1-2 option and the rest a single option.

Anyone know if the path to glory in the app is the new one or the old one? It seems to have new book cover but is half the price of the book on the GW site which is making me wary. You don't seem able to download a preview either to check.

48 minutes ago, firebat said:

Anyone know if the path to glory in the app is the new one or the old one? It seems to have new book cover but is half the price of the book on the GW site which is making me wary. You don't seem able to download a preview either to check.

Apparently it's the new one and a good deal at that. Pretty sure I saw @bottle post on twitter about it. 

Certainly a very tempting deal. While gaming I enjoy having physical copies of stuff like Skirmish, Path to Glory, GHB. But during regular hours, having something on my phone within easy reach is pretty useful (Perhaps, distracting may be a more appropriate word!).

I picked it up, although i don't really play yet, as i love narrative campaigns, specially when you build up your force like that. So I don't have much to say about the rules.

Regarding the visual and written content, I am kinda disappointed. There is a lot of illustrations, but most of them are kind of cheap-looking, and seem like a representation of an existing model without much context. Maybe I'm just a bit spoiled in that regard, when I got into the hobby most books had beautiful stuff, from blanche to smith or kopinski, with often a vague background hinting at a much larger universe... same for the photos, they are beautiful, but it would have been cool to see some different paintjobs by creative hobbyists, thematic warbands, ideas to personalize your general, not just official eavy metal color schemes in official GW scenery, on official GW battleboards.

The orruk warband story, too, felt a bit bland. I know that there are novels that expand the aos universe, but in this story it feels to me as if it's taking place in a world populated solely by official GW models constantly fighting each other. While they do a little bit of "novelization" of the battles, I still feel that you could sum up most of the plot by stuff like "and then they were attacked by a Start Collecting! Box of FyreSlayers"...

I really don't want to be negative, and I have to admit that I love the fact that the mortal realms are a vast universe in which you can create any kind of place, your own cities, gods and empires... But I wish they would showcase it a little more in narrative-oriented supplements :P

anyways, sorry for the rant, I'll probably still try to make up a warband at some point, if I find a friend to play with...

3 hours ago, firebat said:

Yep, it's the new one! A great saving on the digital version was enough to sway me over my usual preference for physical copies. :) 

Yep, it's the new one! A great saving on the digital version was enough to sway me over my usual preference for physical copies. [emoji4] 

S....t! Again I bought the iBooks version when the app version wasn't there yet (same mistake with GHB & Skirmish). Does anyone have either of them (Skirmish & PtG) in the app? Do they give any benefits in Azyr? Can you make warbands etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, bottle said:

Yep, it's the new one! A great saving on the digital version was enough to sway me over my usual preference for physical copies. :) 

Yeah when I clicked to buy it said the 2017 one so I went ahead with it. The app certainly isn't perfect but it's swayed me over enough that it's disappointing they haven't gone the same way with 40k. My issue now is battery life rather than back ache.

I picked up the book on Saturday and have been reading through in it and a question that I had was can you mix and match various factions (wanderers + slyvaneth)? Step 3 of creating a warband says to specifically pick your followers from a table from your allegiance. Does allegiance in this context mean faction or does it mean Grand Alliance? In skirmish it states that your skirmish force can come from different factions within your Grand Alliance but this uses a different word. I want to interpret it to mean Grand Alliance, but I'm thinking it's faction, which seems limiting.

4 minutes ago, Miniac said:

I picked up the book on Saturday and have been reading through in it and a question that I had was can you mix and match various factions (wanderers + slyvaneth)? Step 3 of creating a warband says to specifically pick your followers from a table from your allegiance. Does allegiance in this context mean faction or does it mean Grand Alliance? In skirmish it states that your skirmish force can come from different factions within your Grand Alliance but this uses a different word. I want to interpret it to mean Grand Alliance, but I'm thinking it's faction, which seems limiting.

I read that as starting out, you have to pick within an allegiance. But afterwards, you can start to splash from the rest of the alliance.

Also in terms of summoning..... what if you just let people summon things that are already in their warband, and nothing from outside of it. That seems an easy way to balance. You get the Deep Strike capability of the summon (most likely), and don't get the kitchen sink. This is effectively what you are doing in Matched Play... you take a unit you would have fielded normally, and stick up in the aether to pull down later at the most optimal time.

4 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

I read that as starting out, you have to pick within an allegiance. But afterwards, you can start to splash from the rest of the alliance.

You are 100% right after reading the "Additional Followers" section. The text is quite clear! Thank you!

1 minute ago, Miniac said:

You are 100% right after reading the "Additional Followers" section. The text is quite clear! Thank you!

Yep. I had the same question and engaged in some furious page flipping.

Along that line, I would say you still take the Allegiance Abilities and Artifacts like you would in matched play, even if you end up splashing across the alliance.... as according to Rules As Written... you don't suddenly lose that Allegiance trait.

4 hours ago, eekamouse said:

Also in terms of summoning..... what if you just let people summon things that are already in their warband, and nothing from outside of it. That seems an easy way to balance. You get the Deep Strike capability of the summon (most likely), and don't get the kitchen sink. This is effectively what you are doing in Matched Play... you take a unit you would have fielded normally, and stick up in the aether to pull down later at the most optimal time.

Saturday we rolled up 2 warbands and played two games without limits on summoning... wasn't really an issue. First game ended in three turns, second game I could have summoned more but decided to buff my elite unit about to charge. So it wasn't really an issue then either. 

Sunday a mate and me started a campaign to 10 points with our current armies, we ruled it as 1 unit until 5 glory points and 2 summons between 5 and 10. But so far it hasn't really been an point . 

But the one thing I would say is this. In the scenario 'the vendetta' I could have easily ruined the game. Our armies were quite small and I had rolled an chariot, chosen, marauders, sorcerer and chaos lord. He had an DE assassin, warden king, dark shards, quarrellers and thunderers. At the start of the game both players choose a unit, those units have the vendetta. The game ends only when one of those is destroyed. I could have easily rushed everything forward except my chariot (as I had chosen to have a vendetta) and my sorcerer, keep summoning units until he had dealt with my other units. That could have easily taken 4 or 5 turns. Giving me 3 maybe 4 new units to deal with whatever was left. 

Of course I didn't, it wouldn't be fun for anyone. And I don/t know anybody who would, but yes it could ruin your game. 

Archived