Immortal Realms; Shattered Shards (floating islands coming to Kickstarter!)

Morning all,

Got something cool and a bit different to show you all today; this is a Shattered Shard from Immortal Realms (@immortal_realm on Twitter). This is a two piece (3 if you count the acrylic rod!) high quality resin kit that will be available as part of an upcoming Kickstarter. As well as 3 different sizes of floating island (Shattered Shards), they have plenty of other awesome stuff planned and you can see CG renders of these on their twitter.

My paint job was very basic, but it still looks great IMO. This for me is the mark of awesome terrain. Like the GW stuff, a quick drybrush will leave you with a nice result as you let the sculpt and cast quality do the work. That said, you could also go to town on it if you wanted and do something truly next level.

Really really impressed I have to say, unfortunately my photos were taken late last night so are a bit dark. Definitely looking forward to getting some more. Whilst the Death themed stuff looks utterly phenomenal, I'm hoping for something that will fit in with my Destruction as well....look how happy Krunk looks being raised up on the shard by his Shaman, who has presumably torn the great chunk from the ground for him!

What do you think?
Chris

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

@ChippyRick - Cheers mate. Would be cool for you to get some of the Death themed stuff on the Kickstarter and do up to match your army.

The kit comes with a much longer length of acrylic for the stand and tbh it was a bit wobbly (in the same way the Kharadron Overlord Sky Vessels are) as it's a big, weighty chunk of resin. So I decided to cut the length down a bit, which seems to have done the job.

Yes that is the plan, really like the idea of doing some of the kits with my colour scheme.

I have already purchased some spare spirit hosts which i plan to add to bits :) 

That sounds like a good move, but also nice to have to option for height to start with. Look forward to seeing it soon on the table. Like the idea of a few of them for objectives in the game. measure to the rod and still able to stand on top if required.

I will definately be getting some of these, they will give the table a real AOS feel (rather than 8th). The longer sticks will give the option of having a few at different heights, which I think will make the battlefield look really interesting. 

Do you think you could just about fit the citadel watchtower model on the top, for a small floating tower? I don't think its that much larger than a megaboss base.

18 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

Hoping these will be available before the end of our club campaign, I need 3 of them for the floating rocks scenario

Look really good Chris.

Cheers mate. If they are not available by then, @Andy Talbot & @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary) also have preview copies I believe, so we could use those three I'm sure.

17 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

Yes that is the plan, really like the idea of doing some of the kits with my colour scheme.

I have already purchased some spare spirit hosts which i plan to add to bits :) 

That sounds like a good move, but also nice to have to option for height to start with. Look forward to seeing it soon on the table. Like the idea of a few of them for objectives in the game. measure to the rod and still able to stand on top if required.

Yeh I think that would all work really well tbh.

9 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

I will definately be getting some of these, they will give the table a real AOS feel (rather than 8th). The longer sticks will give the option of having a few at different heights, which I think will make the battlefield look really interesting. 

Do you think you could just about fit the citadel watchtower model on the top, for a small floating tower? I don't think its that much larger than a megaboss base.

Similarly to @ChippyRick's point, the different heights are really useful for variance on the battlefield. Also with the bridges they are making you will be able to slope them down gently I'm sure.

Totally agree they have a real AoS feel about them. I've seen people like Steve Foote, Steve Wren and Steve Herner (what is it with Steves being hobby gods?!) do some awesome floaty stuff, so it will be great to have some at retail for the rest of us mere hobby mortals. @Devilreefman @Stevewren @Holy Hammer Hern

I'm not 100% sure the watchtower would fit on this one, it might do tbh. Regardless though, this is not the largest size they are doing so it'd fit on the biggest one and is a great idea actually!

4 minutes ago, Nord said:

Not sure about the practicality of gaming on these?

How is it any different to a tower? It has a footprint on the ground, and you can fit some models on top of it.

Even if it wasn't, AoS is a game that lends itself to being played on complex terrain boards. I played a tournament game on Steve Foote's amazing woodland board at SCGT, and it flowed just as well as a normal game. The only problem was finding somewhere relatively flat to roll dice.

37 minutes ago, Nord said:

Not sure about the practicality of gaming on these?

I think that actually this is a very fair question to ask to be honest. I would suggest it's worth taking a look at the media on their Twitter account (@immortal_realm). You will be see they are doing bridges and connecting sections which physically link everything up.

Also as @KnightFire says, you can play it in a more abstract fashion and tbh, AoS is great for that. You could have models that get into base contact ride the magical energies to the top etc. You could also do cool things with realmgates etc. It's pretty much limited only by your imagination and or desire.

For me personally, I'm a huge fan of the floating island look. I love them in computer games and the like (I have fond memories of some Magic the Gathering Island artwork featuring them). I think the aesthetic is right at home in the AoS setting. I like to think of my Ironjawz as a bit dieselpunk, with some crude machinery etc. What's the say that the combination of drilling into the ground for raw materials and the Weirdnob Shaman's magicks whirling around couldn't cause chunks of the ground to tear out and rise up etc? However you want to sell it really.

I also think they are perfectly useable in tournaments and the like, but you would need to establish how they were being played before hand.

29 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

How is it any different to a tower? It has a footprint on the ground, and you can fit some models on top of it.

Even if it wasn't, AoS is a game that lends itself to being played on complex terrain boards. I played a tournament game on Steve Foote's amazing woodland board at SCGT, and it flowed just as well as a normal game. The only problem was finding somewhere relatively flat to roll dice.

For sure. I really like the idea of complex tables. Some of the ones at RAW last year were really good. The shadow ones especially, with massive sheer rents in the ground and floating islands etc. Super cool.

23 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Really looking forward to when this Kickstarter starts, the scenery looks amazing and new ideas rather than recycled from other terrain pieces.

Exactly that. They've done a great job of picking something generic enough not to tread on any toes, whilst still being hugely exciting and pretty inspiring.

It would be great if they made some optional chains as well, so you could make it seem like the island was chained to the ground, to prevent it from floating off. Maybe even as a replacement for the transparent rod, if the chain was stiff and thick enough to support the weight :-)

Morning guys,

Glad the thread is generating a bit of interest. I'm super excited by what's to come and hopefully can get my hands on some more of the stuff. Be sure to give them a follow on Twitter @immortal_realm - they have loads of cool renders. I'm confident that these will mirror the finish product given how identical the Shattered Shard is to it's render. This is something you can't always say about CG renders. The product quality is high here.

I'll point the makers in this direction so they can see some of your ideas!

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, Kugane said:

Now all thats missing is some fancy waterfalls cascading down! :D Where does the water come from you ask? Magic of course.

Oh man, how cool would that be?! I've seen the likes of @Devilreefman doing stuff like this. If they could cast a clear resin waterfall that could be amazing.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Goodapollo4 said:

I'm totally in on this! I can't wait for the kickstarter to start, in my mind this kind of stuff screams "AOS".

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:21 AM, Galas said:

Floating islands+Bridges= How AOS was meant to be played from the beginning :D 

You're both right. Exactly my thoughts. Totally nails that high fantasy feel right?

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:21 AM, Spiky Norman said:

It would be great if they made some optional chains as well, so you could make it seem like the island was chained to the ground, to prevent it from floating off. Maybe even as a replacement for the transparent rod, if the chain was stiff and thick enough to support the weight :-)

Yes! That would be so so cool. Did you see the display board @Royemunson made for SCGT? That featured a huge floating Khorne fortress borne aloft by massive chains. Looked phenomenal. I did actually suggest something similar to the Immortal Realms guys tbh, think it's a fantastic idea. 

20 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yes! That would be so so cool. Did you see the display board @Royemunson made for SCGT? That featured a huge floating Khorne fortress borne aloft by massive chains. Looked phenomenal. I did actually suggest something similar to the Immortal Realms guys tbh, think it's a fantastic idea. 

No, I don't think I've seen that, but it sounds cool. Also nice that you've already mentioned it to them, so maybe they're already working on it :-)

Could be nice to have different sorts of "chains" for each realm, like hanging green vines and such for the realm of Life, or maybe a big tentacle depending on whether or not Nurgles infestation had been cleared yet :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Shopping files around to a 3d print service kills the buzz for me here.

Shame too as they would look ace on my Chamon table.

They have a printer (UK) lined up and some prices are shown on the FAQ page, why they didnt just offer this as part of the KS though is a bit offputting i guess for a many people (obviously still enough interest out there to fund the project a significant amount though!).  It looks like youll be paying £25-50 for the KS and £100-150 for a print of the 3 sizes.  

I guess for a full table you probably want more than 3 so maybe £200+? for 5-6 islands and a print of the stairs that are included in the £50 pledge.  Thats a pretty cool, unique and packed table for £250 all in.  

Im thinking about it, if i do id probably go maybe just 1 medium and 2 small to start, so £100 all in.  

Agree with everyone here, those look ace! I'm a big fan of floating islands too! and the way you tied them in with your own bases is fantastic!

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:45 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

For me personally, I'm a huge fan of the floating island look. I love them in computer games and the like (I have fond memories of some Magic the Gathering Island artwork featuring them). I think the aesthetic is right at home in the AoS setting. I like to think of my Ironjawz as a bit dieselpunk, with some crude machinery etc. What's the say that the combination of drilling into the ground for raw materials and the Weirdnob Shaman's magicks whirling around couldn't cause chunks of the ground to tear out and rise up etc? However you want to sell it really.

Totally agree with this! This floating islands thingy makes AoS feel more High Fantasy/different seeting than the normal medieval looking scenery we are used to in WHFB... They can be used for scenery and even epic bases for important characters.

And regarding the "dieselpunk" of the Orruks, one of the concepts I'm toying around for my Sky Pirates army after finishing my Skaven Frigate is doing an Ironjaws Ironclad based on a floating rock, full of plating, steam boilers and propellors... ;) 

cheers

AJ

44 minutes ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

And regarding the "dieselpunk" of the Orruks, one of the concepts I'm toying around for my Sky Pirates army after finishing my Skaven Frigate is doing an Ironjaws Ironclad based on a floating rock, full of plating, steam boilers and propellors... ;) 

cheers

AJ

Sounds amazing AJ, would love to see that when complete!

These would be interesting if you made a custom ''aerial' scenario, where objectives are either up top on the rocks, or in the sky themselves. Units with Fly could take part in high-altitude combat, allowing for recreation of the artwork in the KO book. The rocks themselves could take rules from the scenery table in the AoS rules, perhaps making the rods Arcane in addition to being magical elevators.

4 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

These would be interesting if you made a custom ''aerial' scenario, where objectives are either up top on the rocks, or in the sky themselves. Units with Fly could take part in high-altitude combat, allowing for recreation of the artwork in the KO book. The rocks themselves could take rules from the scenery table in the AoS rules, perhaps making the rods Arcane in addition to being magical elevators.

Sounds ace.  I was thinking use Realmgate rules for transport to the rock surface, so unit must be wholly within 6" of the base in Hero Phase (so takes a turn to prepare for the climb), but always a risk the unstable magics could tear your fighter apart in the process of elevating them up. Flying (or magic movement) models could just fly up there but obviously measuring from the ground to the surface of the rock.

Archived