Square Bases Opinion:

Galas

I assume someone has to question this in the past... and if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move or block it.

So, my question is... I still play Warhammer, Kings of War, and other rank-n-file wargames with my collection, but I'm beginnin to play Age of Sigmar to. I know the official rules don't impose round bases, but we all know how that works: If the community don't want square bases you will play with yourself.

As my small group is beginning with Age of Sigmar, only 1 guy has round bases. So... my questions are... playing square bases vs round bases has a big impact in the game? Is notably detrimental to the experience? For now I don't feel that's the case but, as I don't play with round bases I have no experience to compare a square vs square game and a round vs round game.

If I go and play to a club, do you think that I'll have problems playign with square based army? 

Pd: Sorry for my english.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't played an event yet where base type/sizes had any restrictions. Generally the only benefit I have seen is the ability to use movement trays and better pile ins. You should have no problem playing locally with squares. 

My own aesthetic preference has always been for round bases.  I never liked squares even when they were the norm, and games that use movement trays are a turn-off for me - why I never played WHF or KoW.  

That said, I certainly wouldn't refuse to play against someone just on account of square bases!

This confort me. Personally, I prefer round bases at an aesthetic level, too. But as I said, I still play rank-n-file games, so I need squares and all my collection is in square bases.

That said, I'm actually buying some Age of Sigmar stuff like Stormcasts, and thigs that I don't plan to use in Warhammer go direct to round bases. (I bought 20 blood reavers but they are going to be used as Khorne-barbarian to, so... square bases to the square GOD! Right angles to his throne! )

Thanks for all the replys!

4 hours ago, Galas said:

This confort me. Personally, I prefer round bases at an aesthetic level, too. But as I said, I still play rank-n-file games, so I need squares and all my collection is in square bases.

That said, I'm actually buying some Age of Sigmar stuff like Stormcasts, and thigs that I don't plan to use in Warhammer go direct to round bases. (I bought 20 blood reavers but they are going to be used as Khorne-barbarian to, so... square bases to the square GOD! Right angles to his throne! )

Thanks for all the replys!

Same boat mate.

I havent put any AOS unique models on squares but all of my death army with only a couple of exception are put on squares because like you i often play a bit of WHFB and i like to keep my options open. However if i collect something like ironjaws i will stick to round.

Id agree that i would never make a big deal about bases. However competitions may impose a base to base rule in which case people may get snippy about what base you use. Ive only had it happen once but what i did was invest in a load of thin MDF rounds. Put magnet paper on them and my bases.

Now if im playing in a comp i just pop the rounds on the bottom as most rounds tend to be slightly larger than their square counterparts.

if you measure model to model then it doesnt matter. 

if you measure base to base ( which to be honest the norm now ) then you gain an advantage.  a significant one.

i believe all base sizes went up one, from squares to rounds/ovals so a 20mm model in 8th would be on a 25mm round/oval in aos, 25>32 etc. 

Square bases do offer an advantage for maximising combats and space if you are measuring base to base. A simple fix if you do want to also play on rounds without re-basing your armies is just use either plastic or wood round bases of the correct size and either magnetise or blu-tac your models onto them.

You should have no problems playing on squares unless you go to an event or tournament which requires round bases.

8 hours ago, Arkiham said:

if you u measure base to base ( which to be honest the norm now ) then you gain an advantage.  a significant one.

I believe that is a fallacy, because measuring from your base to mine is the same as measuring from my base to yours.  The advantage is offset by the corresponding disadvantage when someone does it to you.

No different than building a high base in games where LOS is absolute - sure, you can see more enemy models... but in return, they can see you too.

1 hour ago, HeadHunter said:

I believe that is a fallacy, because measuring from your base to mine is the same as measuring from my base to yours.  The advantage is offset by the corresponding disadvantage when someone does it to you.

No different than building a high base in games where LOS is absolute - sure, you can see more enemy models... but in return, they can see you too.

I play tested it. It's such an advantage.

Chaos knights say. On their 8th edition bases I can get a frontage of 7 wide.

All b2b and in combat. On their new bases only 4 against the same unit.

That's not an advantage?

It's not an advantage because you could use square bases to.   I mean let's be honest this isn't a board game where we all have the same pieces/rules.  How is it not an advantage that some people have more money and time than others and can buy the best units, and others can not. 

There is an advantage that in gaining more frontage/piled in, as stated for the Chaos Knights. Same thing for things like Clan Rats with Spears, on squares I can pile in twice as many due to the smaller base size.

That said, I don't think it's too significant and I wouldn't be put off by it.

4 hours ago, chord said:

It's not an advantage because you could use square bases to.   I mean let's be honest this isn't a board game where we all have the same pieces/rules.  How is it not an advantage that some people have more money and time than others and can buy the best units, and others can not. 

This only works to an extent. Some units are more powerful now or have differing affects to 8th edition which by using squares could amplify this to a much higher than intended standard.

For example Skarr blood wrath. If you pack your unit as tight as it possible can, more than rounds would allow  he will beat you to a pulp using his ability. 

There is an excisting thread which contains posts including some of my own which go into far more detail which is easily found.

32 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

This only works to an extent. Some units are more powerful now or have differing affects to 8th edition which by using squares could amplify this to a much higher than intended standard.

For example Skarr blood wrath. If you pack your unit as tight as it possible can, more than rounds would allow  he will beat you to a pulp using his ability. 

There is an excisting thread which contains posts including some of my own which go into far more detail which is easily found.

i think you missed the point. AoS can never be a truly competitive game since its not an equal playing field like chess, etc. As such we as a community should be concerned about things like bases.

Just now, chord said:

i think you missed the point. AoS can never be a truly competitive game since its not an equal playing field like chess, etc. As such we as a community should be concerned about things like bases.

Nothing is ever an equal playing field. I'd rather not start that discussion again.

RE: OPs question.

"are... playing square bases vs round bases has a big impact in the game?"

Short answer, is yes. But how big depends on if you house rule (as most do) base to base measurements... Then square usually can get more models in range for melle.

(not quite double, as round can stagger formation to attack over front rank. But smaller bases get more models per row, and can attack over their own front rank)

Basicaly small square bases are "better" for most units, and especially horde type units, as they make more attacks possible in a smaller area (so more on a single large, or less area to counter attack for other units)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#1 most important - local standards.  If the people you actually know are happy to play with and against square bases, then it's completely fine.  Full stop.

Otherwise... there is a gameplay impact, that varies in effect and magnitude depending on the model and what you're trying to do.  In almost every case, the actual real world impact will be a LOT less than the worst-case theoretical impact.  A couple more models might get to attack than would otherwise, but that's about it unless you are playing at the top end of skilled competitive play. 

I find that if you're willing to abstract things a bit, the problem pretty much goes away.  Something like: my knights are still on their old rectangles - I can see that technically 7 of them are in range to attack, but if they were on "proper" bigger bases only 4 would be, so I'll just do 4 attacks.  That sort of abstracting.

There is also a wider community impact, in that you can't expect your local standards to be universal if you start to play outside your local group.  You'll have to conform to the wider standard at that time, if that time ever comes.

One of my friends is the same. That one day he will play with his undead in RnF. The rest of us are mostly converting over. I based my Wood Elves in 2005, I'm happy to rebase now to make them look better if for nothing else. And this will be the 3rd time I have based my Ungors [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. We're a small subset of players on a group that for the most part plays 9th age (and some KoW) so we need to keep options open, and AoS as originally intended doesn't bother with bases, so anyone having an issue with your squares probably doesn't play with the right attitude.

What I would never do though is show up on a tournament that requires rounds with my square based army but among a friendly group? All the time.

3 hours ago, HeadHunter said:

The problem with the scenario that suggests that square bases can get more in, is that it's going on square bases of a smaller dimension than the round ones.  In no geometry will a 25mm circle occupy more area than a 25mm square.  So it's a false equivalency.

Almost all reboxed models have moved up in size I believe.  20mm squares moved up to 25mm rounds, 25mm squares up to 32mm rounds, etc.

Archived