Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey guys, after a fairly fallow six months or so, I can't believe there are comments of "I was expecting more" and "not for me/my group" when the new site has barely been live a couple of hours!

MP is setting up the scene for what should be an awesome year's worth of releases and new background.  Yes, it's going to have a heavy narrative component - as it should do, this is moving the timeline along afterall.  If your only focus is competitive matched play, then I'm sure that there will be things that can be extracted out and added to your lists.

I also can't quite believe the comments of the re-release scenery being "they're not new" - who cares!  They're big line of sight blocking terrain pieces that GW have yet to surpass in quality and design.

12 minutes ago, Aginor said:

I wouldn't rule anything out for this year. It has just begun.

I know but it's just that if the heralds announced new factions, I don't see GW releasing more than 3-4 armies (and it'll still double the armies released in 2017).

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Blimey guys, after a fairly fallow six months or so, I can't believe there are comments of "I was expecting more" and "not for me/my group" when the new site has barely been live a couple of hours!

MP is setting up the scene for what should be an awesome year's worth of releases and new background.  Yes, it's going to have a heavy narrative component - as it should do, this is moving the timeline along afterall.  If your only focus is competitive matched play, then I'm sure that there will be things that can be extracted out and added to your lists.

I also can't quite believe the comments of the re-release scenery being "they're not new" - who cares!  They're big line of sight blocking terrain pieces that GW have yet to surpass in quality and design.

agreed. people have self-hyped this up faaarr too much for their own good. 

its why most stuff is never talked about until its actually released now, so the hype train doesn't leave the product behind on the platform. its why you'll never see stuff like half life 3 etc 

2 minutes ago, Harioch said:

I know but it's just that if the heralds announced new factions, I don't see GW releasing more than 3-4 armies (and it'll still double the armies released in 2017).

They were pretty busy with 40K last year so there is still hope for more I think.

28 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

I'm bit disappointed as well. And it's not (just) because of lack of new models/etc., it's because they literally showed us nothing new or important information. What kind of campaign book is this, how does the campaign work, when will it release, will it have effect/impact on matched play, etc. Etc. I see 0 reason why they had to make this into some countdown. Was that countdown time it took them to setup webpage? Oh well, whatever. Guess we'll have to wait the next countdown for even more trivial info.

I am happy with AoS attention, but the countdown counter made it something bigger than it was. I mean even with 40K 8th edition there was no countdown counter. The reason why I am a bit disappointed is that I expected or atleast hoped that it would AoS 2.0 with a new starterset.

9 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Well, I am in the hobby for the miniatures firstmost so only showing the already previewed mini's and old terrain is imo disappointing. This doesn't mean it's bad, I just expected more. I also don't the problem of previewing some Death with the Nurgle release. Not every AoS player is interested in Nurgle. ;)

Interestingly just got an email from GW advertising Malign Portents with the date of the 17th of February. So maybe a 6 week wait before preorders (or 5 week wait with release on the 17th).

Could be a lot revealed between then and now (or could be a lot of 40k releases...).

Screenshot of email with date:

Spoiler

K5lYRYp.png

3 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

Interestingly just got an email from GW advertising Malign Portents with the date of the 17th of February. So maybe a 6 week wait before preorders (or 5 week wait with release on the 17th).

Could be a lot revealed between then and now (or could be a lot of 40k releases...).

Screenshot of email with date:

Hide contents

K5lYRYp.png

No countdown? Thats sad... i liked if that nurgle release got that countdown.

A countdown in a mail? Really though I believe this is step 1 and indeed I still believe Death will get it's update.

In addition to that I think that initially this was planned for the new year but got posponed due to Nurgle production delays at GW.
So all with patience will be rewarded, meanwhile have fun. 

To me this is enough confirmation of what I assume is comming:
Malign-Portents-Poster-The-knight.jpg

Which still is, for lack of other words, "Deathcast". 

We have the confirmation that the Death Herald is a Traitor and where one goes, others will follow. Even if it's unwanted for in certain cases.

Yeah I also think we will be seeing more Death content soon.

Still hoping for Deathrattle but I admit that Nighthaunt probably is in more urgent need of some new stuff.

....but perhaps it will be DEATH at least, so a book/models that cover all Death factions that don'T have a Battletome yet (maybe even those who do) and not only one.

6 minutes ago, Killax said:

A countdown in a mail? 

Really though I believe this is step 1 and indeed I still believe Death will get it's update.

In addition to that I think that initially this was planned for the new year but got posponed due to Nurgle production delays at GW.

So all with patience will be rewarded, meanwhile have fun. 

Yes, and I know it sounds ungrateful, but the countdown created a massive hype and imo what was shown wasn't in line with expectations. Certainly not mine and it seems that is a quite a strong sentiment online.

Imo, it's simple nothing causes excitements as new miniatures do. So imo there should have a new mini / unit previewed or some artwork of new mini's and units. The 4 heroes are great, but we already saw them and those previews were more exciting than to what the countdown led.

:D i'm so glad nothing happened - I know its slightly twisted but I find it really funny watching people lose their rag about GW stuff... It reminds of one Halloween when I told my 6 year old niece that she couldn't go to a halloween party dressed as a princess - and she threw a tantrum worthy of a princess.

This stuff all looks great to me - and the content in the build up was all pretty cool in its own right.

I am interested. 

Might start a death Army. Really dig the Shroud dude.

Still waiting 20 countdown then  wait until 17th of Feb, is a ****** move.

Still gonna explore the site a bit

Edit: Yep is fun to have disapointed costumers .

Ask EA how that went.

Just now, Twitch of Izalith said:

:D i'm so glad nothing happened - I know its slightly twisted but I find it really funny watching people lose their rag about GW stuff... It reminds of one Halloween when I told my 6 year old niece that she couldn't go to a halloween party dressed as a princess - and she threw a tantrum worthy of a princess.

This stuff all looks great to me - and the content in the build up was all pretty cool in its own right.

its quite frustrating to me, people are acting so incredibly spoilt.

we're not even 2 hours into a new global campaign with death as its focus and people are writing it off as a failure. feel kinda bad for the Games-workshop team involved 

9 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Yeah I also think we will be seeing more Death content soon.

Still hoping for Deathrattle but I admit that Nighthaunt probably is in more urgent need of some new stuff.

....but perhaps it will be DEATH at least, so a book/models that cover all Death factions that don'T have a Battletome yet (maybe even those who do) and not only one.

Well I think you will see the mix of Deathrattle, Nighthaunt and Deathlords. Basically the pieces that have the Keywords and will have Keywords altered so that Death can connect in more logical ways without falling outside of the Ally 2K limit.

What I think is that not all of these Heralds will have their own Battletome expansion but 'Death' will, as the logical effect of this first intro into the Malign Portents campaign. I believe this will last for basically the whole year. Which could mean another campaign follows this up at the end of the year. 

Feb will likely announce this new Battletome for Death with additional units. Keep in mind that a lot of the WFB Death units still look good so the expansion might not be as big as some hope for either ;) .

There are two issues with Death currently and I think these will be solved:
1. Death's Keywords are a mess, too many sub-factions have lead to no larger Allegaince being really relevant.
2. As a byproduct of 1 Matched play Death is close to impossible to push hard into Matched play. Additional spells are lacking, Hero models are lacking etc.
This can only be covered in a Battletome.

5 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Yes, and I know it sounds ungrateful, but the countdown created a massive hype and imo what was shown wasn't in line with expectations. Certainly not mine and it seems that is a quite a strong sentiment online.

Imo, it's simple nothing causes excitements as new miniatures. So imo there should have a new mini / unit previewed or some artwork of new mini's and units. The 4 heroes are great, but we already saw them and those previews were more exciting than to what the countdown led.

Well, there are four new miniatures, a book, confirmation that older WFB scenery is comming back and it's even stated multiple times that this is the start of the events.

I don't really know how they could have done it much more differently considering the delayed Nurgle release and GW not wanting to release too much for one system at the same time.

Edit: In addition, GW is supporting this plan with the idea so people can start fresh armies for this year. WD covers how you can get your Start Collecting box displayed in GW stores. This will likely grand you a smaller gift from GW stores too. A card, pin, dice, that sort of thing.

That's a huge leap. 

People were expecting a preview of new Death stuff just like Nurgle had that cheeky video.

Death has been largely ignored, so people's expectations were up. 

The campaign is gonna be fine, and we will see more stuff for sure. But don't go around all high and mighty being dicks to disapointed people.

Chin up lads, spooky times are coming.

Might not be today might not be tomorrow, but like Death it will surely arrive!

Just now, Arkiham said:

its quite frustrating to me, people are acting so incredibly spoilt.

we're not even 2 hours into a new global campaign with death as its focus and people are writing it off as a failure. feel kinda bad for the Games-workshop team involved 

Absolutely. They have done a great job of giving us content and stuff to talk about during a time when there are no actual rules and miniatures to release for AoS - I mean they could have just done nothing and left us flapping in the wind right?

Also its not like we don't all have plenty of models to paint in the meantime!

I'm just happy to know there will be lots happening over the next few months :)

5 minutes ago, Sete said:

That's a huge leap. 

People were expecting a preview of new Death stuff just like Nurgle had that cheeky video.

Death has been largely ignored, so people's expectations were up. 

The campaign is gonna be fine, and we will see more stuff for sure. But don't go around all high and mighty being dicks to disapointed people.

but the fact of the matter is. the nurgle teasers teased death, nurgle isn't even up for preorder yet. And death players are expecting a full preview of upcoming death models and stuff when the nurgle range which previewed it isn't even released yet.

they're expecting games workshop to completely disregard an entire range of new models and jump ahead in the schedule.

that's so unrealistic it's insane, it's not being dickish it's being real.

Archived