Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

Game 41 vs Dave Fulbrook

Scenario Take and Hold

Dave was running Glotkin, Bloab, blightkings harbringer and the formation which gives -1 to hit.

Dave deployed everything centrally, Glokin and bloab on the 12 line blight kings either side.  I dropped in teh middle as well, but kept a lot in the boat to give me first turn.

Turn 1 before he got his buff's etc up I took dammed on the boat and 20 arkanaughts.  Shooting off Glotkin and Bloab.  Dave then moved 2 units of kings sideways behind a building and advanced with 1 leaving his final unit on the objective. 

Turn 2 I got iniative and moved up slightly, killing a unit of kings and wounding the unit on the objective.

He moved up further and hid behind a building, whilst shifting out from his deployment zone with the other 2.  He made a charge with 1 unit of these but only got 3 in to combat.  Killed 3 wardens.

Turn 3 Dave got iniative, and charged his lone unit of Kings into my 20 arkanaughts, and got another unit in vs my wardens He also moved his last unit from his objective towards my lines.  He killed 1 more warden after some terrible dice, and a couple of Arkanaughts.

My go I finished off the unit in combat with the arkanaughts via urbaz shots and cleared off the others in combat using my thunderers and boat.  Dave left nothing on his objective so a 4+grapple and I win.  Rolled a 1!

Dave got turn 4 and summoned 10 plaguebearers onto his objective, and moved up with her harbringer and sorcerer.  My turn I managed to clear off all bar the plaguebearers.

Turn 5 Dave had not a lot left and circled his objective, I went in with riggers and got 4 wounds through, I rolled 4d3 and got..... 4 so they survived giving me a manior win

Result Minor Victory

Conclusion:  this was an interesting game, I have had a few like this and the result was down to psychology rather than gameplay.  Dave had given the game up turn 1.  He made a mistake deploying his big guys in range, but still had a decent chance with his blight kings, they are possibly one of the worst units to face as overlords. -2 to hit turn 1 makes most of my shooting ineffective.

It does show that just taking out big centrepiece models can be effective in changing a game, without actually being important in the matchup.  The game is not always about tabletop position, but also gamer mindset. 

Anyways, 1 more Urbaz game and then onto something new.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Yes, think it can effectively shut them down for a turn, with the 3 dice dispel item.  Don't tend to know what I am playing beforehand though so not sure how genericaly useful it is

Very true. If i play against tzeentch i'll let you know!

• 2 weeks later...

Game 42 Vs Kat

Scenario 3 Places of Power

Final tester Game with Urbaz, was against @#SteveJames other half Kat, (apologies I don;t know her last name).  She is just learning the game and plays mixed chaos (mostly Khorne).  I did preface the game with a warning my army was probably a good match vs hers, but she wanted to play anyway.

She was running 3x10 blood warriors, 2x Khorgaraths, 2 Warp lightnings, 5 skullreapers, Secrator, Whippy, Demon Prince, Valkia, Slaughterpriest, and Chaos lord on demonic mount.

Setup I put the boat on the left, 10-20-10 arkanauhts, while she went central with most of her stuff.  I swapped boat to right flank after deployment.

I gave Kat turn 1.

She moved her 3 warriors forwards a bit, along with Khorgaraths and Skullreapers.  Her characters she kept behind her lines.  I did explain that in order to score she needed to get her characters onto the objectives.  She said she wanted to keep them safe for a bit.

My go I shot off Prince, Secrator and Wounded valkia.

I won priority gave Kat turn 2 and she moved forwards a bit more with her troops, but none of the heros went near the opbjectives.  WLC killed 4 arkanaughts.

My go I finished off Valkia, and took out Lord on DM, and wounded whippy and Priest.

I got the double, popped Khemist out of boat and onto LH objective.  Killed her 2 remainng characters , scored a point which Kat couldn't now beat and won the game.

Result: Major Victory

This was a very werid game, Kat as I said is just learning, but has played prob 10-15 games at least.  I reminded her several times that she needed to get on the objectives, but she was sure that holding her heros back was the right choice.  In hindsight she didn't realise how good the Overlords are at killing the heroes, and should have gone for it from turn 1 to get points on the board.  I could have told her what to do and where to go at several points but, it doesn't always help people learn by doing that.  We played out the other turns and she got the warriors into my Arkanaughts easily killing them.  I think this gave Kat a positive from the game as she now realises if she can hit my lines things will die very easily!

So last test game with Urbaz, really like them, suits me much better than Zilfin.  Got doubles this weekend, so will report back on those games.

Then Blackout Start of Sept, which is GH2.  Will prob take Urbaz for that, as its worked the best from the 2 I have tried.  Could possibly be big changes for my list as well with GH2, if some things potentially come to pass. Have some ideas to mix things up though, so could be even more exciting changes for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Games 43-47

So a quick recap of the 'Brothers of Sigmar' event I attended a couple of weeks ago.  Was a 1000pts per player event, I teamed up with @Cowboy Boots Matt and his Stormcast.

I took

2xKhemist

20 Arkanaughts

10 Arkanaughts

6 Wardens

6 Riggers

Matt Had

Stardrake

2x5 Judicators

Relictor

We had 5 great games against 5 top opponents.  Scenarios were the typical stuff you would Expect from a @jonwarmington event.  Lots of wacky special rules etc, different non GH scenarios.

We played a variety of different matchups, not all from same grand alliance.

Game 1 was vs Arnie and Felix with FEC and Death.  We got a major win here thanks to The stardrake, and Felix not being allowed to deploy his mortarch. (generals were not to be used in this mission)

Game 2 was vs the Megabros (or megajoes) as I named them, consisting of @Chris Tomlin and Aaron Bailey( apologies aaron if you are on here).  They had ALL the Skyfires, (well 18!) and had they double turned us turn 1-2 then it was game over.  Thankfully we got the turn and in the end scraped a win!

Game 3 vs @Terry Pikeand @Russ Vealwe faced the combo of Khorne and Kharadron.  My abysmal shooting, the ability to run and Shoot from Russ's Overlords took the game from us, so we finished day 1 in defeat.

Game 4 vs a combo of Sylvaneth and Tzeentch was a scenario where you could only shoot 8", which sounded bad for us, but in actuality worked well.  As stuff got near the Arkanaughts I shot it off, Stardrake muched stuff and Riggers killed a bunch of Tzeentch.

Game 5 vs Kris and Rich S was a great way to end.  They had a Khorne/Seraphon combo with 9 droppping terradons and Skarbrand.  We got lucky that the drake survived teh mortal wound drop, but castled up.  Neither had played Overlords before so as I shot off the terradons and WLC in a turn with half my shooting there were a bit surprised.  They failed to charge skarbrand into drake turn 2 which I think cost them, but we may have still just taken the game even without the drake.  In the end we won a major victory.

So final result was

4 x Victories

1x Defeat

We also had sectret missions and of the 5 we completed 3.

So we managed second place in the overall standings!  Best result so far with my overlords, very pleased.

Top Place went to the MegaJoes, as they did 1 more sectret mission than us.

Would add I was impressed with the changes at BIG, carpet on the floors, chill out area, much better atmosphere overall.  @jonwarmington runs a top event, best goody bag for players, and a really fun pack.  Shame he isn't doing it next year, but hey maybe someone will step up, cough @Cowboy Boots Matt cough.

(Just for record purposes I had 1 last game 48 vs @#SteveJames getting a minor victory turn 5)

Moving Forwards:

Thought I would add my thoughts on overlords moving forwards.

So obviously my list has lost the Thunderers,  I have made my views on this clear in other threads, so wont add further here except to summarise: Gaming decision - it's ridiculous. Not what they intended when they wrote the scroll - fair enough (but you still wont see mixed weapon units used very often, just rifles).

So given that, I had a few options

More Balloons : Not doing that, Zifflin spam is unchanged pretty much and don;t want to go down that route.

Rifle Thunderers: Not keen think they don't really do a job in my list.

Arkanaughts:  This is where I am going I think, upping my uinit sizes

Allies:  Def gonna investigate this as well, see how my Stunty mates can help me out.

Overall I like the changes in GH2017 and am really enthusiastic going forwards, (but I have a bunch of models and armies I can tweak so not really having to spend much to update)

With these changes I am gonna stick with Urbaz, as I don't want to be changing too much.  When settled I will try some other ports out, for now Urbazx is the one.

So my List is

Endrinmaster - Prospector, Repeater

Khemist - Trumpet

Khemist

20 Arks with hooks

20 Arks with hooks

10 Arks with hooks

6 Riggers cannon and grapple

6 Wardens cannon and grapple

Ironclad - Last word

Leaves me 100 spare

For now I am going 2xDemi Gryphs and under points, to try for a triumph.

They give me something to deal with hammerstrike, or teleporting Seraphon and Summons. 

However looking at losing wardens giving me 300 pouints for a bigger ally section.

Getting about 8-9 Games in this week, so will be loads to report before Blackout the following weekend.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:36 AM, Paul Buckler said:

(Just for record purposes I had 1 last game 48 vs @#SteveJames getting a minor victory turn 5)

Moving Forwards:

Thought I would add my thoughts on overlords moving forwards.

So obviously my list has lost the Thunderers,  I have made my views on this clear in other threads, so wont add further here except to summarise: Gaming decision - it's ridiculous. Not what they intended when they wrote the scroll - fair enough (but you still wont see mixed weapon units used very often, just rifles).

So given that, I had a few options

More Balloons : Not doing that, Zifflin spam is unchanged pretty much and don;t want to go down that route.

Rifle Thunderers: Not keen think they don't really do a job in my list.

Arkanaughts:  This is where I am going I think, upping my uinit sizes

Allies:  Def gonna investigate this as well, see how my Stunty mates can help me out.

Overall I like the changes in GH2017 and am really enthusiastic going forwards, (but I have a bunch of models and armies I can tweak so not really having to spend much to update)

With these changes I am gonna stick with Urbaz, as I don't want to be changing too much.  When settled I will try some other ports out, for now Urbazx is the one.

So my List is

Endrinmaster - Prospector, Repeater

Khemist - Trumpet

Khemist

20 Arks with hooks

20 Arks with hooks

10 Arks with hooks

6 Riggers cannon and grapple

6 Wardens cannon and grapple

Ironclad - Last word

Leaves me 100 spare

For now I am going 2xDemi Gryphs and under points, to try for a triumph.

They give me something to deal with hammerstrike, or teleporting Seraphon and Summons. 

However looking at losing wardens giving me 300 pouints for a bigger ally section.

Getting about 8-9 Games in this week, so will be loads to report before Blackout the following weekend.

Paul, thanks for sharing so much, this is really a fun and useful thread!  Can you elaborate a bit more on the 2xDemi Gryphs?  Did you mean the knights or gryph hounds?  I'm unfamiliar with them and was just hoping you could clarify and explain how they would help you with hammerstrike et al.? Thanks!

Paul, thanks for sharing so much, this is really a fun and useful thread!  Can you elaborate a bit more on the 2xDemi Gryphs?  Did you mean the knights or gryph hounds?  I'm unfamiliar with them and was just hoping you could clarify and explain how they would help you with hammerstrike et al.? Thanks!

Gryph hounds sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul!  And now reading the warscroll for them:

Warning Cry: It is said that it is impossible to sneak up on a Gryph-hound. If an enemy unit is set up within 10" of this unit, roll two dice. Any unit within that many inches of the Gryph-hounds is alerted to the enemy unit’s presence, and can attack it with one of its weapons as though it were your shooting phase.

That does sound quite nice!  However, when it says "one of its weapons", does that mean you pick a weapon and the unit shoots that weapon (i.e. all skyhooks, but couldn't shoot pistols) or does that mean the unit get one single shot?

Got a ton of games in since thursday, will do a quick summary so far

Game 49 vs @DeadlySarcasm

Scenario Duality of Death

Adam was running new Ironjwaz, and this was a fun game.  I kileld a bunch of his characters turn 1 and he was pretty much dejected.  Almost gave up.  Then I proceeded to shoot 24 skyhooks at his mawcrusher and do 1 wound!  I actually failed 11/12 hits on a 3up :(.  Combined witha faile dmystical allowed his goblin sham to grab the winning point last game.

Conclusions: Roll better! Also the scenario is a good one for Overlords, we excell at killing Characters, and this one makes them come forward and be targets. 

Result Major Loss

Game 50 vs Dom Hook

Scenario Startrike

Dom had the Les Martin TM build, so was over before it began.  I killed everything he had apart from the stardrake and 2 units of Fulminators, which tabled me turn 3.  ( he coudl have rocked up with just those models and won tbh!).

Result Major Loss

Conclusions: Just teh worst matchup I can face, move on nothing to learn here.

Game 51 vs Jan Proudley

Scenario Scorched Earth

Jan was running a mixed Tzeetch list, Skyfires, LOC 30 Tzangor etc.  Again skyhooks were dreadful, did 2 wounds to LOC in turn 1 (should have easily killed him both 20 units took dammed).  Jan made a few errors, but overall was a close game, I had chances to trumpet of tzangor and her rolled 3x 1's for battleshock in a row! (had no DD with 1's).

Priority turn 4 and I was buring 2 of his objectives and scoring 2 of mine, which would have given me the win.  He got it and won it comfortably in the end.

Result Major Loss

Conclusions:  Mixed Tzeetch is not too horrible a matchup, skyfire spam will still destroy me, but the more balanced armies are an even game.  Like this scenario a lot though.

Game 52 vs @Drakira

Scenario Knife to the heart

Rich has swapped his ZD for nagash and some zombies.  Moving away from soulblight to generic death.  I think this list is much tougher to deal with.  Knife to the heart is basically just the old take and hold on a diagonal, which was my least favourite GH1 scenario (Boredraw for those who have missed my ref to it).  again this is not much diferent.  Whe moved around a bit, he was wary of my shooting, I tried to get the boat and riggers in rangeto grab late game.  In the end I snuck it on KP.

Result Minor Win

Conclusions: Didn't like take and hold, dont like this.  Hopefully this will be the missing game at 5 game events

game 53 vs @Drakira

Scenraio Total Conquest

We finished first game in about 30 mins so quickly reset and played Conquest.  Much better and closer game, Rich deployed sensibly, keeping nagash back whilst using knights to get objectives.  Demi gryphs were useful her in keeping him honest and having to waste a unit of knights to hold an objective, unbale to move away.  the whole grab back and close deployment is very cool and requires a lot of thought.

Result Minor loss

Conclusions: the little throw away units are good her for just pinning other units in place, unable to move to where you need them. 

Game 54 vs @Lhw

Scenario Battle for the pass

Laurie had his usual Sylvaneth list, just without any formations.  This meant I got choice and could go first, pipping off his Wytch and preventing him from summoning woods (no acorn due to no formations).  I got 5 points turn 1, he moved up and I killed allarielle after winning turn 2 priority.  No teleporting left his list being pretty slow, so never felt threatened on my objective.  I pipped up the points taking out his treeman later in the game, and in the end was a good distance up.

Result Major win

Conclusions: Side patrol (thats the new thing!) is a great mission, like they have just switched up Ghoul patrol with teh alternate deployment, makes it a bit more tactical with more space behind the home objectives

Game 55 vs @#SteveJames

Scenario Knife to the heart

Another rematch vs @#SteveJames and his sylvaneth.  This time I was certain he would triumph.  The scenario suited him, he still had gnarlroot and won teh roll so picke dsides and went first. He gave me the half with 2 wildwoods already.  Immune to battleshock via prospector proved its weight in gold this game.  Keeping skyhooks alive so they could shoot turn 1 and take out 3 bow hunters.  Steve was up through to turn 4 when I killed his trelord and Aincient in that turn.  Still turn 5 he should have taken ironclad plus both balloon units, but shot it off rather than surrounding with dryads to remove last wound in combat phase.  Would have given him minor. ( I had chance of major turn 5 but rolled 2 1's for wildwoods reducing warden unit to 4 and unable to claim)

Result Minor win

Conclusions: Not a fan of the scenario, good game really close, have the feeling Steve is gonna start smashing my army up soon, when he gets the hang of the sylvaneth.

GHB2017 Scenarios - Big fan of them in general (barring the first), some subtle points each one brings that will need more practice to iron out.  Looking at Blackout next weekend, targetting 3 wins, think the list is capable of it.  Gryph hounds have been underwhelming, so will prob be going down the palladors route (plus they are in that awesome value box set).

1 minute ago, kozokus said:

Humble suggestion : There is a ninja buff on the amber wizard that now get +1  to wound instead of rerolling 1 on any unit. If that isn't worth something i don't know what is. :)

Its a great spell, only works in combat though.  How are you getting that in overlords? Or just playing generic Order?

Game 56 vs MIke Wilson

Scenario Total conquest

Mike is still running his changehost, that has done so well for him, lost host duplicitous though.  He aslo now has 30 Brimstoen horros in a big unit.

Mike got the drop and gave me turn 1, he put both of his LOC out of range on the left whilst putting 10 pinks on the right, the gaunt summoner centrally.  He also put the changeling right near my boat and halved its movement.  I Managed to get 20 arks in range of teh gaunt summoner, so was able to shoot him off this go, as well as the 10 pinks on teh right (which he swiftly replace with blues).  He made an error when replacing them and left me a 10 inch charge with my wardens, which I made.  So the I held both RH objectives now for 2 points.  I also realised all his brimstones were now on the board, ao he couldn't swap down if I killed blues, unless I killed that unit of 30!  I gnored teh left Hand objective for now as grabbing either early game just gives mike an easy take back for 2 points.

Mike moved some bits around and balewinded his horror herald, casting 2 spells at my wardens killing 4.  He failed mystical on a unit of horrors that could have retaken the RH objective.  He scored 2 points

score 2-2

Mike won priority turn 2 and took it, some shuffling and changes saw damage to 1 unit of 20 arkanaughts, and removal of the last 2 wardens.  He recaptured the RH objective, but teh chageling was revealed.  I did 5 wounds, Mike auto saved 1 to keep him alive.  (actually I was happy about this as it let me urbaz shoot next turn! Mike won;t do that again) he scored 4

My go I removed his second pink unit in hero phase, he replaced with blues which I shot off in shooting.  That let me recapture RHS objective for 2 points.  I moved up with boat hoping for a double and shuffled arkanughts forrwards. I scored 3 points

Score 6-5 to Mike

I Won priority and managed to kill the herald on balewind (thanks to no trading with some people).  Also the 10 horros in the centre of the board.  Pushing the Riggers up I had to put them in mystical (more on this later :()

Moving everything forwards now as I needed to grab an objective to have a chance of victory.  I scored 2.

Mike moved back to secure his position, with 10 blues and a LOC on the objective near me, and 30 brimstones LOC and Scribes on teh objective his board edge.  he scored 2 points

8-7 to mike

Turn 4 he won priority, buffed his LOC and scored 2 points.

My go everything moved up, nothing in shooting range, but my riggers failed Mystical!  need them moving so hoped for agrapple next go.  5 Arkanaguths jumped into boat.  I scored 2 points.

10-9 to mike

Turn 5 I won and passed the priority, mike had no spells in range, but moved scribes LOC and blue horros to the objective near my table edge, and surrounded other with brimstones and other LOC. he scored 2 points.

So my go I had to shoot off the blues and get 3 or more models within range to claim.  I unloaded the boat of 5 arkanaughts, a khemist and the endrinmaster.  I had a unit of 20 arkanaughts near my board edge within 10 as well.  Also I had the 6 riggers, but again they failed their mystical! I elected to run the 5 from the boat rolled a 4 and got 4 within 6"  So now all I had to do was shoot off the blues.  My skyhooks from teh other unit did that, then the endrimaster shot off the blue scribes.  I claimed the objective for 2 points. I scored 4

I won the game 13-12

Result Major Victory

Conclusions:  MIke needed brimstones to summon, so he is painting more up! With those he would have blocked at least 2 points from me and won the game.  Overlords did well, and a couple of grapples earlier in the game might have changed things.  Giving me the 10 inch charge early game was uneeded and mike wouldn't do that again.  The Gryph houds were great as it stopped mike swapping stuff near me.  Great result for me against a pretty top end list and good player.

I will try to get pics etc of all my games at Blackout for a good set of reports next week.

Archived