Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

So forward thinking a bit on how to best maximize using multiple command abilites.. I realized nurgle has few command abilities in general and also only a couple DECENT ones. 

Glotkin - +1 attack 14" bubble

Harbinger - 5++ 7" bubble

Lord of Plagues - 7 dice rolled. 1 mortal wound for every 6

Lord of blights - neg 1 to hit in shooting for target unit. Neg 2 and neg 1 if unit is 20+

EGUO/GUO  - +1 attack for DEMON unit targetted. 

Lord of Afflictions - Double movement speed for blightlords. 

Am I missing any? Looking at this list.. there are only ...3? that are decent?

The list is a little wider if you include Tamurkhan, Pestilens, or Slaves.  Also, any non-command ability  hero can use the new generic commands, some of which are really good.  

19" Pusgoyle + "At the Double" + Run/Charge from Gnarlmaw = Don't forget to write!

I have a large daemon army, and am planning on increasing the mortal aspect of it (so far my mortals are the Glottkin,  LOA, harbinger, sorcerer, festus, gutrot, LOB, 6 blightlords, 15 blightkings, and 10 chaos warriors). 

Recently I’ve been running plague touched but have proxied plaguebearers as marauders (only play friendly games with friends anyway). Won’t be able to do this in aos, due to summoning potential. 

Im considering converting some kairic acolytes, but if slaves to darkness are getting an update I might just wait and see. 

Any thoughts? 

They will never update regular marauders since they have a box in plastic of 20 models, as I saw with the warqueen they probably will go in the direction of models without Mark if anything new comes

Marauders in plastic are easy di convert but many ? i still need to do it on 40 of them but with some green stuffing random or glue on them they could became nurgle followers easy peasy 

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Quite a specific question here but anyone have any tips for painting the fly heads on Plaguebearers and Blightkings? I was guessing a standard green Nurgle skin, any ideas for the eyes? Cheers. 

You absolutely can simply make those the same color as the PB's skin and it will look great. Another way to go is to make those heads a dark grey, black, or even a very dark red/brown color. This will capture the feel of the chitinous shell of a fly's head. Blend this into the flesh color around the neck to give that sense of fly mutation.

8 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Quite a specific question here but anyone have any tips for painting the fly heads on Plaguebearers and Blightkings? I was guessing a standard green Nurgle skin, any ideas for the eyes? Cheers. 

If you are going to have Pusgoyles or Drones, you will have plenty of flies for their own color scheme. I went with light green and red/orange eyes.

22 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I have a large daemon army, and am planning on increasing the mortal aspect of it (so far my mortals are the Glottkin,  LOA, harbinger, sorcerer, festus, gutrot, LOB, 6 blightlords, 15 blightkings, and 10 chaos warriors). 

Recently I’ve been running plague touched but have proxied plaguebearers as marauders (only play friendly games with friends anyway). Won’t be able to do this in aos, due to summoning potential. 

Im considering converting some kairic acolytes, but if slaves to darkness are getting an update I might just wait and see. 

Any thoughts? 

I used pox walkers from the 40k dark imperium set. Worked well. Cut away any tech bits like the gun triggers and ammo clips, grenades and chem tanks. Added shields from the skeleton kit (they are degraded condition unlike marauder shields so fit the theme). I added dryad bits to match the rest of my army that has trees growing out of them. 

1zEnQ9A.jpg?1iqqAQeH.jpg?1HjITSWt.jpg?1EqvHJMi.jpg?1

36 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@sal4m4nd3r

I love what you’ve done there! But think they might look a little too powerful to be lowly marauders haha. I guess they’d be perfect for plaguetouched marauders though. Gives me food for thought, thank you. 

If that’s not the look your going for try kitbashing plaguebois with a box of maruaders

Any thoughts about chaos chosens? 

Too much money for 10 models ?

But in a nurgle army with blades of putrefaction and +1 wound from cycle they make many mortals.

Since 3 months I am in search of alternatives models, I hope in the rogue traders from 40k for some good conversion 

The only good alternative price/material are these :

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/mobile/producto.php?prodcode=pl03&prodname=Wasteland+Warriors+of+Pestilence+with+great+weapons&id=118&Itemid=143

So I just ended a tournament with a feel bad loss and I have no idea how I could have stopped it.

i played sylvaneth and it was knifed to the heart. He immediately put wildwoods all over his side of the board including on top of his objective.

i could not advance at all. He never swung at me but casting spells to make the woods explode took 500 pts of my army off the board by turn 2. 

It felt like all I could do was stay on my objective and try for a minor victory. The only way to stop it was kill his two tree lords casting all the spells but he left them deep in the woods so I couldn’t get there.

Any ideas. 

33 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

So I just ended a tournament with a feel bad loss and I have no idea how I could have stopped it.

i played sylvaneth and it was knifed to the heart. He immediately put wildwoods all over his side of the board including on top of his objective.

i could not advance at all. He never swung at me but casting spells to make the woods explode took 500 pts of my army off the board by turn 2. 

It felt like all I could do was stay on my objective and try for a minor victory. The only way to stop it was kill his two tree lords casting all the spells but he left them deep in the woods so I couldn’t get there.

Any ideas. 

Just brainstorming, but I will be playing AoS for the first time this week, so I'm no expert:

1) Deep strike options:  Gutrot and Blightkings, Affliction Cyst?

2) Flying options: Pusgoyles and Plague Drones

3) Make your own trees and summon.  

4) Manipulate the Corruption Cycle to deal D3 mortals to D3 units

(Edited to add more thoughts)

1 hour ago, Soldier of decay said:

Any ideas. 

What did you take? PLaguebearers would survive wildwood explosions pretty easily i'd have thought.

39 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

What did you take? PLaguebearers would survive wildwood explosions pretty easily i'd have thought.

I ran plaguetouched. 

Harbringer general

LoA

Rotigus

LoB

10x blightkings

5x Blightkings

5x blightkings

10x maurauders 

10x plaguebearers

2x pusgoyles

I was 4-0 with this list but this scenario with the wildwoods just seemed to make it impossible to claim my fifth major.

i could only see getting a minor victory by camping at my objective and going for kill points. 

By turn 2 I had lost LoA, both pusgoyles, LoB, and 8 blightkings . To his terrain 

with 6 spells a turn all having a chance to make his woods explode he was hitting each unit with 4 d3 mortal wounds each turn just from woods. then sniping with kurnoth hunters and his treelords. I never even made it to him even with my flys and gnarlmaws. I came to the conclusion that even if I made it to his objective the woods on top of it would just explode my units dead. My flys had a DR save, and a Morbid vigor save from my general and still couldn’t make it.

Granted my opponent rolled well.

It seems like free scenery that powerful should not be allowed on top of the only objective.

Maybe you could have messed with his Wyldwoods?

The Tainted Corruptor command trait lets you make terrain (even his woods) splash mortal wounds unto his surroundings units again and again every turn for the rest of the battle, until all of his woods are doing it!

Letting your casters set your Cycle of Corruption to 3 would have his woods explode for even more unsaveable mortal wounds, while they would even be healing your own units!

All it takes is for either of these to leave him with less than 5 models on his objective, letting you cap it for an instant MAJOR victory.

Well I couldn’t change my comand trait as it was a set list for the tournament. But I guess the wheel is something I didn’t think about. But even if I had both I’m  dishing 2 mortals a turn per unit. While he is doing 3-4d3 mortals a turn per unit. I lose that race. Also he had Durthu and a treelord on his objective so I couldn’t capture without close combat. 

He played well and rolled well. I liked my opponent as well. I just am wracking my brain for a way I could have won. 

On 5/31/2018 at 1:02 PM, 5kaven5lave said:

Anyone got any tips on how to improve these bases? Not happy with the standard ‘Toxic Base’ recipe from GW. A bit of greenery on the dirt? Cheers!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/4kRbghE

One thing you could try is a lighter color drybrush on the mud. Might make it stand out a little more. You could also try to add some more small bits here and there. to break things up. Light colored static grass like swamp reeds, skulls, rocks, that sort of thing.

Good job on the head tentacles, btw!

@Soldier of decay

sounds like a real up hill struggle... I think I would have just conscided that I wasn’t gonna make progress going his way and waited for him to come yours. 

If you’d had a guo with bell you could possibly mount a late game attack on his objectives with blightlords. Maybe not though.

As you said, minor might be the best you could hope for in that context. 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:36 PM, NurglesFirstChosen said:

i agree about the battalion. Also if beasts come down in price I can see them being good. Especially if units that charge attack first as some feel will be the case in aos2. 

I'd love them to be battleline (and be a tiny bit cheaper).

16 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm getting increasingly scared plaguetouched is going to close to double in points. Im getting in as many games as I can while it lasts

Do you think it’s definitely going to survive?

I could easily see it become a legacy battalion and not be usable going forwards. 

If it doubled in points I’d think that was pretty fair for what it can do. 

18 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm getting increasingly scared plaguetouched is going to close to double in points. Im getting in as many games as I can while it lasts

I wouldn't be surprised if many of our Battalions drop in price, based on the costs in Daughters of Khaine, however I would be suprised if Plague-touched didn't go up. 

Archived