Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Think of it that you roll once for each unit within range of the ability (including the unit with the ability itself) - no matter how many units with the ability are in range, you only roll once for every unit effected. 

This is correct. Every unit can only be affected by the ability once per hero phase. If you have 10 units of blightkings around an enemy unit, you still roll once for that enemy unit. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about slimux new battalion in 2.0 ?

maybe its a no because filling the minimum units of it cost more than 1000 without battlelines and without any command ability ?

but filling battlefield with trees and a potential summon guo at spam its a thing

- first turn 5 or more points (1d3+3+1)

-second turn 2d3+3+3(nurglings in enemy territory) = 5(first turn)+6+(3 to 6) = 14 to 17 (2 more trees?)

-third turn  5d3+3+3 = 10 (5 t 15) + 3 + 3 = 11 to 21 points only in this turn

but maybe its still to slow to do something 

28 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Don’t know if this has been answered yet, but since all traditional summoning is about to be history how will we summon the EGUO? It has no contagion point values yet.

Unless it just can't be summoned, I'd bet that there is an addendum to the warscroll or something just giving that value. 

5 hours ago, calcysimon said:

maybe its a no because filling the minimum units of it cost more than 1000 without battlelines and without any command ability ?

but filling battlefield with trees and a potential summon guo at spam its a thing

-second turn 2d3+3+3(nurglings in enemy territory) = 5(first turn)+6+(3 to 6) = 14 to 17 (2 more trees?)

Minimum cost of the Menagerie is (3x100 + 240 + 240 = 780).  You could field 2?

Assuming no one bothers to try to stop your Slimuxen from gardening, at the beginning of turn 6, you would have 20 to 36 Gnarlmaws, earning 26 to 114 contagion points (able to add between 5 and 18 Gnewmaws that turn). 

4 hours ago, calcysimon said:

since contagion points and slimus ability to summon a tree happen at the start of the hero phase, i think you can summon his tree first before counting contagion points. You would receive 2d3+3+1 in first turn, enough to summon a third three in your first movement phase!

1 hour ago, boombyeyeah said:

since contagion points and slimus ability to summon a tree happen at the start of the hero phase, i think you can summon his tree first before counting contagion points. You would receive 2d3+3+1 in first turn, enough to summon a third three in your first movement phase!

If that's the case, the double Menagerie is even more crazy.  You could summon a GUO as early as turn 2, or skip all that and have up to 47 Gnarlmaws at the beginning of turn 6.  ;)

1 minute ago, grungolah said:

If that's the case, the double Menagerie is even more crazy.  You could summon a GUO as early as turn 2, or skip all that and have up to 47 Gnarlmaws.  ;)

Even as a nurgle Player I dont Feel this would Be Healthy for The game

53 minutes ago, peasant said:

Even as a nurgle Player I dont Feel this would Be Healthy for The game

Probably not.  :D

However, I also think a list comprised of 6 Beasts of Nurgle, 2 Slimux, and cheap battlelines is going to lose a lot.

1 hour ago, boombyeyeah said:

True

OK, strikethrough on all the unusable calcs!  Having only one snail is unfortunate.  Menagerie more than doubles the cost of Slimux, but does not double CP.   I took a different look at my formula.  How many Gnarlmaws should I own?   

Without Slimux, it will take at most 4 turns to reach 21 CP, and 5 to reach 28 CP.  This is not slowed down by summoning 1 Gnarlmaw as soon as possible.  A second Gnarlmaw costs a full turn.  Conclusion: Bring 2 Gnarlmaws.

With Slimux and no Menagerie, it will take at most 3 turns to reach 21 CP, and 4 to reach 28 CP.  Summoning 1-2 Gnarlmaw will likely only cost 1 turn (making it as fast as "Without Slimux" but with up to 6 more CP per turn). Conclusion: Bring 1 or 3 Gnarlmaws.

With Menagerie, it will take at most 3 turns to reach 21 CP, and 4 to reach 28 CP (same as without).   This is not likely slowed down by summoning 1 Gnarlmaw as soon as possible.  A second Gnarlmaw costs a full turn.  However, Menagerie allows for free Gnarlmaws every turn.  Conclusion: Bring 6 or more Gnarlmaws and hide Slimux, summon 1 Gnarlmaw ASAP.

I also looked at how many CP I would have by turn 4, if I roll perfectly.   The goal here is to decide if Menagerie is worth its 240 point cost.

Without Slimux: 36 points

With Slimux: 46 or 47 points (0 or 2 summoned Gnarlmaws, no real difference until turn 5)

Menagerie: 66 points

Menagerie does add a lot of summoning power, and is probably worth adding for 240 points.  If plaguedtouched gets too expensive, I may switch to this warscroll.  I might do it anyway.  I will probably get 2 units of Plague Drones to cycle in (paying for, in full, the warscroll in about 4 turns) .  

Thoughts?

It's funny I think nurgle has the most balanced, (and perhaps the most boring/weakest) of the summoning gimmicks.

So it's pretty easy to get yourself 7 contagion points a turn, but unless you're running a Nurgles Menagerie (as people have been discussing) for Slimux dropping free trees every hero phase, 7 points a turn is pretty much what you're going to average.

Obviously because Nurgle, all you units are priced at increments of 7, so let's look at the 21 point bracket. These are the standouts to me.

20 plague bearers
3 plague drones 
Poxbringer herald of nurgle

All of them should be dropping turn 3-4 so you still have a few turns to get something out of them.

Drones seem like the best option to me for their shooting attack the turn they drop, (summoned units come on at the end of the movement phase for nurgle) and are fast and durable.

20 plague bearers are a marginally better anvil and great for sitting on an objective but that's about it

Herald of nurgle is a hero and wizard so useful in 3 places of power and casting later but the least immediately useful of the 3.

Nurgle summoning is very consistent and has the best confirmed scaling of all the summoning resources.

Only problem is there are a finite number of turns. Having a GUO for a single turn isn't actually as exciting as it sounds :P

On 5/24/2018 at 7:17 PM, grungolah said:

I also looked at how many CP I would have by turn 4, if I roll perfectly.   The goal here is to decide if Menagerie is worth its 240 point cost.

Without Slimux: 36 points

With Slimux: 46 or 47 points (0 or 2 summoned Gnarlmaws, no real difference until turn 5)

Menagerie: 66 points

Thanks for the breakdown, it's nice to see that Menagerie has a bigger impact than I thought if you roll perfectly (I did all my calculations on average rolling) It'll be interesting to see what its points look like in 2nd edition :)

18 minutes ago, Scrags said:

Thanks for the breakdown, it's nice to see that Menagerie has a bigger impact than I thought if you roll perfectly (I did all my calculations on average rolling) It'll be interesting to see what its points look like in 2nd edition :)

Random is random,  but I think odds of getting 2 sets of drones out by turn 4 are pretty good, assuming they don't kill the snail.  I vote drones as the best option at 21 points because they are probably easier to place than pbs and they can fly.  Seem to be a better choice when the place is filled with Gnarlmaws. 

Hey there rotten Ones,

I just caught the Nurgle Bug and now I am tryingto wrap my Head around a 1000 Point List.

Dang those dudes are certainly expensive.

I do prefer Mortal Units because the whole Blightking Look is what pulled me in. And to be honest one of the reasons I am doing this, is that I am hiding from  30 Bloodletters which have been waiting for Paint since the Dawn of Time....at the moment I am no willing to add 30 Plaguebearers to that ?.

Down the Line there will be daemons for sure. No Behemoths as well as I just find it odd to have a GUO leading a Pub-crawl. Those Guys have better things to do and real armies to lead.

This is where I am at right now. Not sure if the Lord of Affliction is too much of a Point Sink, but I do like what he brings to the Table and the Guys on Foot feel a bit Lacklustre.

But then, maybe 3 Units of 5 Blightkings would be more sensible? Absolutely no clue what to do with those last 100 points, Coming from Khorne and my beloved Kogoraths, the Beast of Nurgle leaves me baffled, 20 Points more, but not even in the same ballpark, but maybe I am missing something.

Nurglings? Look meh as well, but maybe they provide a nuisance...you see...clueless. Doesn`t help thath I haven`t played that much AOS alltogether.

I am no Tournament Player, but not being a Lamb led to slaughter is certainly nice going forward.

Any Help would be appreciated :)

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (220)
Festus The Leechlord (140)

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

Total: 900 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 68

3 hours ago, Riavan said:

Are plague monks battleline for maggotkin?

The azyr app lists them as battleline. But I don't think this is right. GHB and warscroll say they are only battleline for pestilins, which seems correct.

They are NOT sadly. :( 

4 hours ago, Oshikai said:

Hey there rotten Ones,

I just caught the Nurgle Bug and now I am tryingto wrap my Head around a 1000 Point List.

Dang those dudes are certainly expensive.

I do prefer Mortal Units because the whole Blightking Look is what pulled me in. And to be honest one of the reasons I am doing this, is that I am hiding from  30 Bloodletters which have been waiting for Paint since the Dawn of Time....at the moment I am no willing to add 30 Plaguebearers to that ?.

Down the Line there will be daemons for sure. No Behemoths as well as I just find it odd to have a GUO leading a Pub-crawl. Those Guys have better things to do and real armies to lead.

This is where I am at right now. Not sure if the Lord of Affliction is too much of a Point Sink, but I do like what he brings to the Table and the Guys on Foot feel a bit Lacklustre.

But then, maybe 3 Units of 5 Blightkings would be more sensible? Absolutely no clue what to do with those last 100 points, Coming from Khorne and my beloved Kogoraths, the Beast of Nurgle leaves me baffled, 20 Points more, but not even in the same ballpark, but maybe I am missing something.

Nurglings? Look meh as well, but maybe they provide a nuisance...you see...clueless. Doesn`t help thath I haven`t played that much AOS alltogether.

I am no Tournament Player, but not being a Lamb led to slaughter is certainly nice going forward.

Any Help would be appreciated :)

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (220)
Festus The Leechlord (140)

Battleline

Units
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

Total: 900 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 68

If you're going Nurgle Mortals you're going to want a Harbinger of Decay for sure. He gives all your guys a 5+ ward save, and in 2nd edition he won't even need to be your general! 

More Blight Kings work, you can try to fill out a Blight Cyst warscroll batallion. 

Yeah Beasts of Nurgle are complete garbage. There are some people that love the whole "retreat and charge to try and get D3 mortal wounds" gimmick but the only way Beasts will ever make it into my lists are as a tax for the Nurgle's Menagerie batallion. 

Nurglings are also kinda useless, the only thing I like them for is deploying them in a corner of the enemies territory via "Hidden Infestation" to get the bonus 3 contagion points. 

Hope some of that helped! :)

3 hours ago, Riavan said:

Are plague monks battleline for maggotkin?

The azyr app lists them as battleline. But I don't think this is right. GHB and warscroll say they are only battleline for pestilins, which seems correct.

That is correct, they are not nurgle battlelines

Buuuuuuuut you could just run minimum nurgle marauders and then fill in a bunch of Plague Monks afterwards.

Archived