Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

5 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Good to hear the Tallyband doing well; what have you played against with it? I’m still not sure it’s worth the cost, but there’s no denying that the one drop and extra artefact is awesome. I really go back and forth on it...

My opponents: 1 Khorne Mortal list (major win), Stormcast Vanguard Wing (minor victory: 30 Liberators with 2+ save are not affordable for my Tally), Mixed Stormacast with 12 Vanguard Raptors :S (major win), Kharadron Overlords who drops a Frigate full of Khemist and fire troops (major loss).

After those games i don't think Tally deserves its points for itself effects (in fact you will cure 4/5 dmg in a whole game and resurrected 4/5 D3 Plaguebearer) but it's the only way to get the mono-drop for a Deamon Army.

Most of round you just hold the line and relies on 6th Cycle stage and Deluge to get tactical advantage (maybe killing opponents buffing heroes). The other rounds you had to react and countercharge often stayin close to maximize bonus (Demon Heroes to Drones and Plague, Poxbringers to Rotigus etc).

Very tactical list but too much dependent by the Deluge, i've already think to sobstitute Rotigus with an Endless Gift's GUO (in this setting almost immortal)

@Champotte I really like both of your list! If I will beat my obsession for mono-drop list, i will try something like yours... :)

@sal4m4nd3r Thanks a lot!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Shaft said:

Hi everybody, my first post on TGA.

I'm obviuosly a Big Nurgle's fan and i want to discuss an (IHMO) big point in list creation: is the Mono-Drop worthing the sacrifice of 1 or more unit(s)?

I've played 4 matches 'till today with a Tallyband (3 win and 1 loss). The 3 wins (2 major, 1 minor) are all thanks to the first-round choice. Sitting on obj with 30 Plaguebeares and preparing for countercharge was essential in every game.

The only loss was caused by my own carelessness on the mission obj (first game with GH2017); after a mind review: with a first turn correct deploy i will probably win it.

I ask this cause i see that few list in big tournament (and also here) are mono-drop.

Here's mi Tally in short:

- Rotigus (Glorious Affliction)

Poxbringer (General, Grandfather Blessing, Tome, Favoured Poxes)

Poxbringer (Nail, Sumptous Pestilence)

30x Plaguebearer

10x Plaguebearer

10x Plaguebearer

3x Drones

3x Drones

3x Drones

Low damage output but great cycle control, good resistence, board control and... mono-drop! :D

Hope to read a lot comments about the Mono-Drop matter, in my country the AoS community is really lazy and sleepy on Tactical topics... :( Cheers!

What do you think about merging 2 units of drone into 1? I like having 6 drones to make use of the banner more. If you're lucky, you can bring one or two back, whereas if you only have 3, they can be all gone one turn or you'll only get one chance to use the banner anyway.

Do you feel you're missing the movement from the bell, and the Command trait of the GUO when using Rotigus? I would personally use a GUO as general with the 6 drones, and that would make a good hammer, and with the bell, you could try to make one of your poxbringer run behind the drones to keep the loci active.

I highly recommend combining the drones into a single unit where possible. Makes much better use of the buffs, and makes them a real threat. I’m just not sure “one drop” needs to be a thing for Daemons, but having said that it really is nice to have. 

The Tallyband effects are decent, but they’re probably not worth the cost. In fact they’re definitely not. But the one drop benefit, plus a second artefact (witherstave/tome/whatever) possibly makes it all worthwhile. I’m just not sure yet.

I play Khorne and Nurgle.

With Khorne I find the ability to 1 drop/few drops and therefore go first is really useful, they need to be in your opponents face as soon as possible to reduce magic/shooting casualties.

Nurgle on the other hand have the resilience to go second, and in fact to attack from deeper within their deployment zone rather than on the line, in addition you'll never get an early double turn if you go first (not a tactic to rely on, just handy). I also find the Nurgle battalions are so expensive that if the cost was spent on units, you get more impact for your points, somebody will have to do the math on whether battalions/more stuff is most cost effective, I like more stuff!

2nd artifact meh, more synergy from more units is (IMHO) more useful.

No one holds objectives better than us, Nurgle players should never lose Duality of Death for instance - camp and win!

2 hours ago, Poltron said:

What do you think about merging 2 units of drone into 1? I like having 6 drones to make use of the banner more. If you're lucky, you can bring one or two back, whereas if you only have 3, they can be all gone one turn or you'll only get one chance to use the banner anyway.

Do you feel you're missing the movement from the bell, and the Command trait of the GUO when using Rotigus? I would personally use a GUO as general with the 6 drones, and that would make a good hammer, and with the bell, you could try to make one of your poxbringer run behind the drones to keep the loci active.

In the GUO version, the Drones are 3x1 and 6x1 thinking on use the GUO command ability. In the Rotigus version i prefer to have more versatility with the 3x3(i already play too few units for my habits). Another doubt is about the Drone's base dimension: i find difficult (playing always close with the whole army) to go in contact with more than 3 Drones at a time.

The question GUO - Rotigus, in my opinion, is all about the durability and not about the bell (you can fix the move-problem controlling the Cycle and setting the 1st stage) or command ability (clearly usefull but IHMO not essential): 2 time on 4 games Rotigus was killed and in both case a GUO with Endless Gift will (mathematically) survive.

Surely give up on Rotigus and his Deluge is so difficult... (fantastic Model and great combo Deluge + 6th stage of Cycle)

1 hour ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

I highly recommend combining the drones into a single unit where possible. Makes much better use of the buffs, and makes them a real threat. I’m just not sure “one drop” needs to be a thing for Daemons, but having said that it really is nice to have. 

The Tallyband effects are decent, but they’re probably not worth the cost. In fact they’re definitely not. But the one drop benefit, plus a second artefact (witherstave/tome/whatever) possibly makes it all worthwhile. I’m just not sure yet.

Same thinking! Doubt over doubt! :)

1 hour ago, fredster4050 said:

I play Khorne and Nurgle.

With Khorne I find the ability to 1 drop/few drops and therefore go first is really useful, they need to be in your opponents face as soon as possible to reduce magic/shooting casualties.

Nurgle on the other hand have the resilience to go second, and in fact to attack from deeper within their deployment zone rather than on the line, in addition you'll never get an early double turn if you go first (not a tactic to rely on, just handy). I also find the Nurgle battalions are so expensive that if the cost was spent on units, you get more impact for your points, somebody will have to do the math on whether battalions/more stuff is most cost effective, I like more stuff!

2nd artifact meh, more synergy from more units is (IMHO) more useful.

No one holds objectives better than us, Nurgle players should never lose Duality of Death for instance - camp and win!

Good point of view... I'm really tempted to improve the number of my Drones spending the Tally's point.

I'm only scared 'bout a fact: in "total conquest", "duality of death" and "battle for the pass" missions, it seems to my essential to get the obj  first.  After that Nurgle is just to resilient to be quickly beaten. Often in those match, when your opponent steal your obj (if he will be able to)  you have already score too many Victory Points and the game is over.

PS: I want to apologize for my terribile syntax. Hope my texting is understandable anyway. :P

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

In the GUO version, the Drones are 3x1 and 6x1 thinking on use the GUO command ability. In the Rotigus version i prefer to have more versatility with the 3x3(i already play too few units for my habits). Another doubt is about the Drone's base dimension: i find difficult (playing always close with the whole army) to go in contact with more than 3 Drones at a time.

The question GUO - Rotigus, in my opinion, is all about the durability and not about the bell (you can fix the move-problem controlling the Cycle and setting the 1st stage) or command ability (clearly usefull but IHMO not essential): 2 time on 4 games Rotigus was killed and in both case a GUO with Endless Gift will (mathematically) survive.

Surely give up on Rotigus and his Deluge is so difficult... (fantastic Model and great combo Deluge + 6th stage of Cycle)

Yeah it's actually hard to make 4 of them in combat, except if your opponent give you a infantry line without thinking.  I managed to bring 6 of them a couple time, especially by charging above the unit, so that you're able to choose other targets near, the only one that needs to be close to the charged unit is the first model to move.

The bell is actually better that the 1th stage, mainly because the other stages are more potent. If you do combine both of them, with a tree in the middle, you're looking at +5move with the ability to run and charge. Even if you're not at the first stage, you still add 3".  My glottkin was able to charge somebody 18" away, who deepstriked in my backyard, he never saw it coming. Blightkings add +1 to run and +1 to charge, so that's a 7" bonus right there for you to use. On scenarios where you need to get on the objectives fast, 3" is nothing to sneeze at to gain the upper hand.

Like you said, if we get the first turn on Battle for the Pass, we win just because we'll have more turns on it than our opponent ever will, and that's where the bell shines in my opinion.

But Rotigus is an insane model, choices, choices! ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Lord of Afflictions is a perfect partner to hang around the Glottkin.

Lord of Afflictions has 4 melee weapons (3 of which are quite potent) to be affected by the Glottkins +1 attack ability resulting in 4 additional attacks! 

The Glottkin’s 4 different weapons would benefit from Lord of Affliction’s Plague Vector ability getting it re roll 1s to hit  which is very useful considering the tentacle is 4+ to hit and the powerful shooting attack is only 1 shot.

Oh, I didnt thought about the Plague Vector affecting Glottkin too. I might go back to work on my Plaguetouched warband and try to fit that monster in. It would be good synergy with the 2nd phase of the wheel too. Rerolls 1 to hit, + 1 to wound and you're suddenly dealing way more damage than expected. I was looking to switch my daemon prince for a Lord at some point too for the drones' loci, now it's given me more incentive to do so.

43 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Oh, I didnt thought about the Plague Vector affecting Glottkin too. I might go back to work on my Plaguetouched warband and try to fit that monster in. It would be good synergy with the 2nd phase of the wheel too. Rerolls 1 to hit, + 1 to wound and you're suddenly dealing way more damage than expected. I was looking to switch my daemon prince for a Lord at some point too for the drones' loci, now it's given me more incentive to do so.

Yes. And imagine the two of them with 3 Plague Drones.  It would be +1 attack from Glottkin, +1 attack from Daemon Locus thanks to Daemon keyword on LoA. That’s 9 attack’s on those dangerous stingers alone instead of 3! All together that’s quite a strike force for taking objectives.

If the points allowed, I'm even tempted to try 4 pusgoyles instead of 6 drones, which was my goto. It's only 1 attack less, if you compare 4 drones with +2 attacks vs 4 pusgoyles with +1 (because getting 6 in combat is not always possible), but pusgoyles have the ability to change 6 into d6, and you could have 4 attacks at -2 rend 2 damage too.

They would also count in the Plaguetouched, with -1 to be hit. More save, more rend, harder to hit and rerolls. They didnt attract me at all at first, but now that I can run and charge with trees, the shooting attack of drones are almost never used anyway.

i think if you are playing one off friendlies and you know what your opponent is bringing, the sword is a good choice for some match-ups.

However I'd always take a bell in a tournament or league game, the mobility benefits cannot be under-estimated. If you are fortunate enough to have the +2" speed from the cycle, plus the bell, plus a Gnarlmaw, it causes all sorts of problems for your opponent!

13 hours ago, Poltron said:

If the points allowed, I'm even tempted to try 4 pusgoyles instead of 6 drones, which was my goto. It's only 1 attack less, if you compare 4 drones with +2 attacks vs 4 pusgoyles with +1 (because getting 6 in combat is not always possible), but pusgoyles have the ability to change 6 into d6, and you could have 4 attacks at -2 rend 2 damage too.

They would also count in the Plaguetouched, with -1 to be hit. More save, more rend, harder to hit and rerolls. They didnt attract me at all at first, but now that I can run and charge with trees, the shooting attack of drones are almost never used anyway.

That’s a good point about the Blightlords exploding attacks. And yes they do have those multiple weapons which is good with the Glottkins +1 attack. I wish I could squeeze them in my list somewhere. Amazing models. Think I’ll have another tinker with my lists!

14 minutes ago, Percivael said:

That’s a good point about the Blightlords exploding attacks. And yes they do have those multiple weapons which is good with the Glottkins +1 attack. I wish I could squeeze them in my list somewhere. Amazing models. Think I’ll have another tinker with my lists!

What are you thinking list-wise?

If both the Glottkin, the Pusgoyles and battleline units has to be included, there isn't much to tinker with it seems to me.

I thought of something along these lines, although the 80pts spent on the Warqueen is a pain, as I cannot find a decent thing to spend them on. If I upgrade the Sorcerer to Festus, you loose out on an artifact, which is also a shame, plus that still leaves 60pts. :-)

The Glottkin (420)
- General
Lord of Afflictions (220)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Darkoath Warqueen (80)
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (440)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

58 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

If both the Glottkin, the Pusgoyles and battleline units has to be included, there isn't much to tinker with it seems to me.

I thought of something along these lines, although the 80pts spent on the Warqueen is a pain, as I cannot find a decent thing to spend them on. If I upgrade the Sorcerer to Festus, you loose out on an artifact, which is also a shame, plus that still leaves 60pts. :-)

No there’s not much to tinker with with any Nurgle list is there! But I don’t know really. My lists always have to combine aesthetics with competitiveness as I am going for painting nominations at tournaments. So as I am building my Nurgle army, if it’s already painted, it’s going in the list. This is one I’m favouring at the moment but not sure what I can drop other than the Lord of Afflictions in order to include some Blight Lords

Glottkin (General) 

Lord of Plagues - Rustfang 

Lord of Afflictions 

Sorcerer 

Daemon Prince of Nurgle 

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

3 Plague Drones

Gorebeast Chariot of Nurgle

2000 points

2 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

How about bringing a plague priest instead of the war queen?

What would A 2000 point max debuff list look like?  Would have to go plaguetouched warband right? Add a poxbringer with favored poxes seems like a must. Try to maximize glotkins horrific opponent rule with a carrion dirge nearby?? Also would debuff bravery. Thoughts? I'm trying to come up with one for adepticon but I can't seem to get it to shake out right. Tried a few out but with limited success. (Although it wasn't glotkins fault arkhan curse of years'd him to death from full health)

thinking of scraping the entire idea and going battalionless. I don't know. Looking for inspiration and encouragement. Thanks.

8 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

What would A 2000 point max debuff list look like?  Would have to go plaguetouched warband right? Add a poxbringer with favored poxes seems like a must. Try to maximize glotkins horrific opponent rule with a carrion dirge nearby?? Also would debuff bravery. Thoughts? I'm trying to come up with one for adepticon but I can't seem to get it to shake out right. Tried a few out but with limited success. (Although it wasn't glotkins fault arkhan curse of years'd him to death from full health)

thinking of scraping the entire idea and going battalionless. I don't know. Looking for inspiration and encouragement. Thanks.

Plaguetouched if you want to go full debuff is a must

Then poxbringer/guo is another go to for favoured poxes.

I don't actually like that much the glottkin in that scenario, he would be better in a more hard-hitting list.

As general the lord of blights gives you a -2 to hit to marauders, making them basically plaguebearers. Or you can go harbinger

Lob

Bloab, buboes

Guo, bell blade, tome, poxes

Sorcerer, blades

Sayl

35 marauders

14 warriors

10 marauders

10 marauders

10 kings

Plaguetouched

You have base -1 on basically everything, -1 from bloab on a 4+, -1 and -2 for marauders for lob, you can TP them with sayl and you have a -1 to hit wound and save from guo

@shadowgra what a great idea! Although I'm not set up for a "slaves to darkness marked nurgle" army..it is a great idea, so thank you very much for that!

I REALLY wish bloabs flies would swarm at the beginning of the combat phase. Having them go off in the hero phase makes no sense to me. 

Is General consensus that magnificent buboes is a better spell then gift of contagion? I know gift of contagion is random and it's debuff, but magnificent buboes must target a hero. I thought that was a major drawback.

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@shadowgra what a great idea! Although I'm not set up for a "slaves to darkness marked nurgle" army..it is a great idea, so thank you very much for that!

I REALLY wish bloabs flies would swarm at the beginning of the combat phase. Having them go off in the hero phase makes no sense to me. 

Is General consensus that magnificent buboes is a better spell then gift of contagion? I know gift of contagion is random and it's debuff, but magnificent buboes must target a hero. I thought that was a major drawback.

Ye bloab is... Strange. 

If it was combat phase it would have been 100 times better. 

Gift isn't straight up worse then buboes, mainly because he is 6+ to cast while buboes is 7+. I tend to prefer buboes because i don't really like randomness but against some armies it is pretty useless to say the least, while gift always have targets. Tho remember that doesn't affect shooting which is a shame.

7 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Quick question. 

Does the Lord of Blight ability, "munificent bounty", stack?

And does the Lord of Plagues ability, "wanton slaughter" affect those shooting attacks? It states hit rolls of 1 but doesn't specify just combat.

Thanks. :)

Screenshot_20180218-103645.jpg

Screenshot_20180218-103720.jpg

Looks it

Archived